Start by marking “The Tibetan Book of Yoga: Ancient Buddhist Teachings on the Philosophy and Practice of Yoga” as Want to Read:

Yoga came to Tibet from India more than a thousand years ago, and it was quickly absorbed into the culture's rich traditions. In this small book readers will discover Heart Yoga, which developed over the centuries in the Gelukpa tradition of the Dalai Lamas. The program presented here combines popular yoga exercises wtih special Tibetan poses, and methods of working from t ...more
Published February 17th 2004 by Harmony (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Tibetan Book of Yoga, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tibetan Book of Yoga

Londonmabel Mabel
I wanted a book that explained the spiritual practise behind yoga, so I could use it in tandem with meditation. This book explains the meaning behind each pose, all of which are drawn from the earliest yoga texts. Really nice little volume.
Riobhcah
Mar 27, 2012 Riobhcah rated it it was amazing
An excellent guide to beginning Tibetan heart Yoga. I would recommend it very highly. It tells about straightening and un-knotting the channels of the body through which flows the inner winds, especially the heart channels.

Also, the author gets into the real goal of yoga -- inner spiritual transformation. In the west, it is unfortunate that yoga is often seen as just a physical exercise. It is so much more than that! He talks about how if we are compassionate to other creatures, then positivity
Natasha
Feb 24, 2015 Natasha rated it it was amazing
I checked out this book on a whim but I'm very happy I did.
This book explains in the simplest and most effective way possible how to go through a yoga practice known as Tibetan heart yoga.
They explain the exercises in words and with illustrations/photos but they took it a step further by explaining why these exercises are necessary for your spiritual growth, your physical benefit and mental health.
If you are interested in yoga and it's different forms I recommend taking a look into this small,
Alyson
Aug 03, 2013 Alyson rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a great little book. I don't know where I came across the reference to it, but it was on my long list of things to look up. It's quite short, but, I think that's its strength. It has a very simple and direct approach, and is different from most 'mainstream' yoga books given its Tibetan yoga background.

I found the writing clear and unambiguous. The illustrations add to the quality of the book.

I'm really excited about the 10 step programme that is the heart (pun not intended) of the book,
Meghan
Oct 18, 2013 Meghan rated it it was amazing
A really great introduction and step-by-step guide to Tibetan Heart Yoga. The book has everything you need to begin a thirty minute daily practice. It is a more spiritual practice than what we traditionally think of when we think of yoga here in the west, but it is still very accessible. I checked this book out from the library and will be purchasing it for my permanent collection!
masso salmassi
Dec 30, 2007 masso salmassi rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All who are interested to add more to their yoga knowledge.
Another look at yoga philosophy through concept of heart and love. "You can not enter the door of yoga without kindness and compassion for others" Changmye, Who swam in the Diamond sea (1717-1786). Yoga teacher to the Emperor of China and his holiness the seventh Dalai Lama. Book has origial ancient illustrations.
E
Jun 17, 2014 E rated it really liked it
Lovely introduction to this particular school of yoga. Enjoyable and thought provoking.
Mara
Jan 11, 2008 Mara rated it it was ok
i adore yoga, but this was a bit more "spiritual" than i have been feeling lately, perhaps if i gave it another go some other time..
Denise Garza
Mar 12, 2008 Denise Garza rated it really liked it
I bought this because I liked his other works but I haven't gotten very far in it.
Sara
Feb 24, 2008 Sara rated it liked it
...a hopeful perspective that reminds the reader of the many ways yoga can foster healing...
James Porrazzo
James Porrazzo rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2012
Jennifer Culver
Jennifer Culver rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2012
Beth Haymaker
Beth Haymaker rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2007
Denice
Denice rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2012
Katy
Katy rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2013
Elisabeth Parker
Elisabeth Parker rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2014
Alisa
Alisa rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2014
Yelena
Yelena rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2012
Bruce Fogg
Bruce Fogg rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2013
faeriecrone
faeriecrone rated it it was ok
Jul 21, 2010
Nicole
Nicole rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2010
Jennifer Yost
Jennifer Yost rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2012
Nastyaaaaaa
Nastyaaaaaa rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2017
Rochelle Livingstone
Rochelle Livingstone rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2015
Danielle
Danielle rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2014
Ben
Ben rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2012
Solveig
Solveig rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2016
Betsy Greenlee
Betsy Greenlee rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2015
laurascove
laurascove rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Five Tibetans: Five Dynamic Exercises for Health, Energy, and Personal Power
  • The Bliss of Inner Fire: Heart Practice of the Six Yogas of Naropa
  • Asanas: 608 Yoga Postures
  • The Deeper Dimension of Yoga: Theory and Practice
  • The Inner Tradition of Yoga: A Guide to Yoga Philosophy for the Contemporary Practitioner
  • Yoga: The Science of the Soul
  • Art of Attention: Book One
  • Tonoharu: Part Two
  • Songs of Milarepa
  • Walking It Off: A Veteran's Chronicle of War and Wilderness
Publishes as Geshe Michael Roach ('Geshe' is a Tibetan Buddhist academic degree for monks and nuns).
More about Michael Roach...