Start by marking “Sorceress of Darshiva (The Malloreon, #4)” as Want to Read:
Sorceress of Darshiva (The Malloreon, #4)

Sorceress of Darshiva (The Malloreon #4)

4.08  ·  Rating Details ·  33,680 Ratings  ·  199 Reviews
The Endless Quest...

Troubles and delays continued to mount as Garion, Belgarath, Polgara, and the company pursued Zandramas across the known world. Possessed by the Dark Destiny, she had stolen Garion's infant son for a ritual that would destroy all that men valued.

She was always one step ahead, taunting and spying on them, flying over in the form of a great dragon. Her a
Mass Market Paperback, 371 pages
Published October 13th 1990 by Del Rey Books (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Sorceress of Darshiva, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sorceress of Darshiva

Nate
Feb 15, 2015 Nate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fluffy, silly, and fun

The Malloreon books are, let's be honest, not incredibly well written. All the main characters have started to sound the same, they all use the same idioms and expressions, and things got far too well for them. It's like a band of Mary Sues.

I still love this book.

It's fun to read, the events and writing are fun and good enough to be enjoyable. It's not war and peace, but it's still a fun read.
Jonel Boyko
May 01, 2016 Jonel Boyko rated it really liked it
Shelves: rlftci-2016
I love the in depth history and geography that Eddings develops here. I could easily picture travelling alongside the characters while they were on their quest. The sense of inevitability was inescapable. The different uses of the will & the world kept me entertained as the increasing intensity of the plot had me glued to the pages.

The characters were a lot of fun too. I truly enjoyed the time I spent with them. I love how each of them stood out on their own, yet really fit together as a gr
Sam
Jul 18, 2015 Sam rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, adventure
As the fourth in the Malloreon series this book sees things get serious, setting up the characters and the story for the finale to come. Here our intrepid crew manage to uncover an undamaged version of the Ashabine Oracles, a vital piece of the puzzle that leads them to the next stage in their quest and the very thing that allows Garion to see the truth behind what he might have to sacrifice to stop Zandramas' plans. As our heroes continue their quest war breaks out amongst the various factions ...more
Michelle
May 27, 2008 Michelle rated it really liked it
I read the Bellgraid and the Malloreon about 10 years ago now, so my memory isn't up to a synopsis of the series or anything, but I did highly enjoy them then, they still grace my shelves now, and I hope to reread them in the near future.

These books are great for the reader that enjoys fantasy series reading (so if you prefer a one off, try something else). They develop an amazing story and history that kept me engaged. The two series are intimately related/connected. The world is more of a high
Mattias
Oct 29, 2012 Mattias rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eddings Sagan om Mallorea är ett intressant verk och mot slutet av serien blir det väldigt tydligt att ingen av böckerna står sig speciellt bra för sig själva. Att hela serien är ett verk som ska betraktas och läsas tillsammans är inte ovanligt, men extra tydligt i det här fallet. I takt med att berättelsen knyts ihop och upplösningen nalkas så förklaras också mycket av de händelser och skeenden som byggt upp de tidigare böckerna. Lite oväntat, men det här är en bra bok, och lämnar en spänd ...more
Mollie Clarke
Jul 11, 2014 Mollie Clarke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fitting lead up to the final book. A lot happens in this book, some of which will be a interesting but pleasant surprise to the reader. Nearing the end of their journey Garion and his friends find themselves in a lot of sticky situations in this book. An enjoyable and exciting read for a book which may be considered the hardest to get right. I can't wait to read the last and final book of the series.
Matt Braymiller
Mar 22, 2016 Matt Braymiller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-reread
Of the five book in the Malloreon series, this one is probably the slowest. SO many things need to happen, and Eddings shoved many of them into this volume to set up the final confrontation in the last book. As such, this one can be a bit disjointed in its pacing. But, it has the epic scene with Durnik in it, so of course I like it. On to the last book! I wonder if it will end the same way as the last time I read it?
Alan Gallagher
Jul 19, 2010 Alan Gallagher rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I read these books as a kid and they were great then. As I've grown older, I've noticed the detracting factors from the quality of writing to the originality of the story - but my nostalgia wins through. This series - The Mallorean - does not have as many good qualities as the first, but again, nostaglia. This series will always be a classic for me. Will update once I've read them again.
Gabriel Salter
Jun 03, 2014 Gabriel Salter rated it it was ok
The writing style is good, the humor is still there, but the plot is flat. It's just the same old characters, doing the same old things they've been doing for nine books now, and I really don't care that much about them anymore. Entertaining enough to read, but only if you have nothing better to do.
 ☆☽ Ruth ☆☽
Jul 14, 2015 ☆☽ Ruth ☆☽ rated it really liked it
Still very much enjoying this five-book series and now look forward to the final denouement in the last of this epic.
For anyone thinking of reading the Malloreon I would suggest you get the whole set, since each book is a continuation of the story and they are more like five parts of the whole, than separate books.
Nov 11, 2007 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Have I mentioned how nifty it is to have the Main Evil Guy be, in fact, a woman? And not a shriveled old crone of a woman, even?

I didn't know Leigh Eddings died in February of this year. Thank you, Leigh, for making sure we got as many good female characters as males in these series.
David Sarkies
Nov 19, 2015 David Sarkies rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: People who really really want to read fantasy
Recommended to David by: My Auntie
Another Modern Fantasy Novel
16 August 2012

Okay, I have probably got to the point now where I really do not know what to write about a book. It is strange because I managed to get through all of Piers Anthony's books without coming to a stumbling block, but with these series I have finally run out of steam. People seem to like this book, and if they do then more power to them. I must admit that when I read this book I did enjoy it but when I look back on it now I sort of wonder how it was that I
Brian
This book is the fourth of 'The Mallorean' series, a sequel to Eddings' 'Belgariad' series, and as such includes all the major characters of that previous series albeit several years later, plus several new ones.

The plotline is surpringsly similar to the first series: something important has been stolen and Garion and his friends must traverse the world to recover it lest the world be destroyed.

In this case the important thing is Garion's new-born son, who has been abducted by a Grolim preistess
Susan
I am writing the same review for the entire Malloreon as it is nearly impossible to pick out each book from the series as if it were a stand alone novel; they all tie together and build on one another.

For me, this series was not as good as the Belgariad. In part, I think, the opinion is a function of the fact that I was several years older reading the Malloreon than reading the Belgariad. However, even as I re-read occasionally as an adult I think the first series was better than the second.

Gene
Strangerealms
Jul 09, 2010 Strangerealms rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I really enjoy reading these books, they have everything that make a good book: great well characterized characters, great story, good dark humor, great witty dialogues, packed with adventure and travels, great created world with each race, etc. Even though one may be scared of the 5 books to read they actually read too fast for my taste. I've heard some complaining that the books are too "light" but I like it this way. It's a serie I love rereading and being thrown back into with these ...more
Andrew Wilson
Nov 17, 2013 Andrew Wilson rated it really liked it

As the bestselling THE Mallorean series contnues, Garion is pursuing Zandramas, in the form of a great dragon flying over them, across the known world. With the forces of evil threatening on both sides, Garion still had to get to the Place Which Is No More, as the Seeress of Kell had warned, but they had no idea where that might be....

### From Publishers Weekly

The wizard and shape-changer Belgarion continues his quest against evil in the land of Mallorea. "Eddings depicts a complex, believabl

Lizza11
Wauw, van spanningsopbouw heeft meneer Eddings wel pap van gegeten, wat doet hij dat in elk boek toch weer goed. Dit is het een na laatste boek in deze epische serie en nog steeds weten ze niet waar ze uiteindelijk heen moeten. Ze komen maar stapje voor stapje dichterbij en hun groep was nog steeds niet compleet.

Ik vind het ook leuk dat er zoveel verschillende (nieuwe) personen in de groep zitten. Hoewel ik Barak en Mandorallen ook erg leuk vond, zijn Sadi en Zakath toch ook erg interessant, ov
Sabine
Aug 23, 2014 Sabine rated it really liked it
Am I rereading David Eddings' books in the wrong order just for the hell of it ? Yes. Does it matter ? No, cause I've read this thing a thousand times. I still love it. BUT.
Rereading it paying more attention to how women, those series really aren't the best. I mean, in this one,we are supposed to find it normal that Eriond (who is basically a child or a young boy with no training with weaponry) is putting himself in front of Polgara and Ce'Nedra to protect them from someone while the other fight
Dark-Draco
Apr 03, 2013 Dark-Draco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The fourth book in the series - Garion is still chasing Zandramas, hoping to get his son back, but the prophecies are working on making sure he only does so when the time is right. From the island on Melcena, they travel slowly towards Kell, the one place where they can find out where the Place Which Is No More actually is. On the way, they find a copy of the Ashabine Oracles that neither Torak nor Zandramas tampered with, but what they learn there only adds to their worries, especially as Torak ...more
Werehare
Mar 21, 2015 Werehare rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantatrash
2/10

[Recensione dell'intera serie]
Non è attivamente demente come tanti altri suoi colleghi, e questa è la fine dei suoi pregi. Solito polpettone rimasticato fino alla nausea, straripante di dei e mostri puzzoni e palle di fuoco ed eroi maschi bianchi etero cis come neanche una partita di D&D, tenuto insieme da una prosa goffa e inforigurgitosa (pur se non mancano momenti ironici), zeppa di virgole tra soggetto e verbo. Garion è il classico Gary Stue che insegna a tutti a fare tutto, Ce'Nedra
Redax
Nov 27, 2013 Redax rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Il libro narra le vicende di viaggio dei nostri eroi, con il solito stile di Eddings: scorrevole, ma vuoto.
Diversamente dalla maggior parte degli altri libri della serie, questo contiene qualche spunto interessante, come ad esempio la risposta alla domanda tormentone "Ma perch sempre io?" che il protagonista continua a riproporre da 9 libri (nove!). Adesso che ha trovato la risposta, il testimone passa ad un altro dei personaggi.
La trama debole: quando c' una situazione difficile o impossibile,
Eric Moreno
Nov 30, 2010 Eric Moreno rated it it was amazing
Ward Bond
Jun 25, 2012 Ward Bond rated it really liked it
EDITORIAL REVIEW:

Troubles and delays continued to mount as Garion, Belgarath, Polgara, and the company pursued Zandramas across the known world. Possessed by the Dark Destiny, she had stolen Garion's infant son to use in a ritual that would destroy all that was fair and good.

Always the quest led onward, across and beyond the continent of Mallorea, where the Evil God Torak had once been supreme until Garion slew him. And always Zandramas was one step ahead of them. The armies she had raised, led
Patrickderaaff
Feitelijk gebeurt er niet zoveel in het 4e deel van De Mallorea, maar dat maakt me niet uit.

Het reisgenootschap trekt rond en komt tijdens de achtervolging van Zandramas allerlei kleurrijke figuren tegen die op geheel eigen wijze het laatste nieuws doorgeven. In Melcene wordt de enige complete en ongewijzigde versie van de Ashabijne Orakels gevonden en de voorspellingen blijken gruwelijker dan Garion zich ooit had kunnen voorstellen. Enkele opmerkelijke figuren sluiten zich aan bij het gezelsch
Mark Austin
May 14, 2016 Mark Austin rated it liked it
- Most books with this rating I never finish and so don't make this list. This one I probably started speed-reading to get it over with.
- Average. Wasn't terrible, but not a lot to recommend it. Probably skimmed parts of it.
- Decent. A few good ideas, well-written passages, interesting characters, or the like.
- Good. This one had parts that inspired me, impressed me, made me laugh out loud, made me think - it got positive reactions and most of the rest of it was pretty decent too.
- Amazing.
Tracy
Aug 02, 2011 Tracy rated it liked it
The quest Garion and his companions are on is coming to end. They are nearing the final meeting place in which the Child of the Dark and the Child of the Light will meet.

This story continue with just a right amount of adventure to keep the story moving along. I still love all of the characters. There is humor, friendship, philosophical discussions (Beldin), just a hint of romance (not sicken though) and action.

Although there are a great number of similarities between this and the Belgariad serie
Andrew Leon
Mar 26, 2011 Andrew Leon rated it really liked it
It's great to re-visit the characters from The Belgariad and see them in action again; unfortunately, that's the best thing that can be said about the series. It's not that it's bad; it's a completely enjoyable read. However, Eddings fails to move forward with his writing and, instead, gives us what is essentially the same plot from The Belgariad over again. If you've read The Belgariad and loved it, you should certainly read The Mallorean, as well. If you're hoping for something new, though, ...more
Jenn
Sep 06, 2016 Jenn rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this one more than the first three in this series. As I've said before, I believe at least half of my love for the Mallorean comes from how much I adore the Belgariad. I'm not sure I would enjoy this series as much, if I didn't already know and love the characters.
Nick
The fourth installment is more of the same. Garion and company continue on in their quest to fulfill an ancient prophecy. The foretold complete group of heroes has finally been established and finally, and I do mean finally, they will march on to the mystical 'place that is no more'.[return][return]If you have made it to this book in the series you are either a) loving every footstep and hoof beat of Eddings' universe, b) you are a completest and must follow the heroes in spite of your better ...more
Michael Murdoch
BOOK 4 OF THE MALLOREON, the worldwide bestselling fantasy series by one of the godfathers of the tradition. Discover the epic stories that inspired generations of fantasy writers - from Raymond Feist's The Riftwar Cycle to George R. R. Martin's A Game of Thrones. The Dark Destiny will soon become clear... The Ashabine oracles have been found. They carry a message from the evil god Torak, who Garion once destroyed - one that spells the end of all he thought he knew. A great battle of demons and ...more
The Nerd Herd: Sorceress of Darshiva 1 4 Feb 22, 2014 01:52PM
  • Prince of the Blood (Krondor's Sons, #1)
  • The Elf Queen of Shannara (Heritage of Shannara, #3)
  • The Prophet of Akhran (Rose of the Prophet, #3)
  • The Star Scroll (Dragon Prince, #2)
  • Faery Lands Forlorn (A Man of His Word, #2)
David Eddings was an American author who wrote several best-selling series of epic fantasy novels. David Eddings' wife, Leigh Eddings, was an uncredited co-author on many of his early books, but he had later acknowledged that she contributed to them all.

David Eddings' first books (which were general fiction) sold moderately well. He later switched to writing epic fantasy, a field in which he achie
More about David Eddings...

The Malloreon (5 books)
  • Guardians of the West (The Malloreon, #1)
  • King of the Murgos (The Malloreon, #2)
  • Demon Lord of Karanda (The Malloreon, #3)
  • The Seeress of Kell (The Malloreon, #5)

“Isn't it easier to forgive than to hate?
-Eriond”
50 likes
“Belgarath turned back to Senji. “All right,” he said. “The Sardion came to Zamad. How?”
“It’s said to have fallen out of the sky.”
“They always do,” Beldin said. “Someday I’d like to see something rise up out of the earth –just for the sake of variety.”
48 likes