Start by marking “Sorceress of Darshiva (The Malloreon #4)” as Want to Read:
Sorceress of Darshiva (The Malloreon #4)

Sorceress of Darshiva (The Malloreon #4)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  25,853 ratings  ·  152 reviews
As the bestselling THE Mallorean series contnues, Garion is pursuing Zandramas, in the form of a great dragon flying over them, across the known world. With the forces of evil threatening on both sides, Garion still had to get to the Place Which Is No More, as the Seeress of Kell had warned, but they had no idea where that might be....
Published October 13th 1990 by Del Rey Books (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Sorceress of Darshiva, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sorceress of Darshiva

Harry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenTwilight by Stephenie MeyerTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
Read Them Twice...At Least
427th out of 4,066 books — 4,054 voters
The Eye of the World by Robert JordanMagician by Raymond E. FeistDomes of Fire by David EddingsThe Hidden City by David EddingsThe Shining Ones by David Eddings
Books With Worlds I Was Lost In
10th out of 56 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Mollie Clarke
A fitting lead up to the final book. A lot happens in this book, some of which will be a interesting but pleasant surprise to the reader. Nearing the end of their journey Garion and his friends find themselves in a lot of sticky situations in this book. An enjoyable and exciting read for a book which may be considered the hardest to get right. I can't wait to read the last and final book of the series.
Michelle
I read the Bellgraid and the Malloreon about 10 years ago now, so my memory isn't up to a synopsis of the series or anything, but I did highly enjoy them then, they still grace my shelves now, and I hope to reread them in the near future.

These books are great for the reader that enjoys fantasy series reading (so if you prefer a one off, try something else). They develop an amazing story and history that kept me engaged. The two series are intimately related/connected. The world is more of a high
Mattias
Eddings Sagan om Mallorea är ett intressant verk och mot slutet av serien blir det väldigt tydligt att ingen av böckerna står sig speciellt bra för sig själva. Att hela serien är ett verk som ska betraktas och läsas tillsammans är inte ovanligt, men extra tydligt i det här fallet. I takt med att berättelsen knyts ihop och upplösningen nalkas så förklaras också mycket av de händelser och skeenden som byggt upp de tidigare böckerna. Lite oväntat, men det här är en bra bok, och lämnar en spänd förv ...more
Susan
I am writing the same review for the entire Malloreon as it is nearly impossible to pick out each book from the series as if it were a stand alone novel; they all tie together and build on one another.

For me, this series was not as good as the Belgariad. In part, I think, the opinion is a function of the fact that I was several years older reading the Malloreon than reading the Belgariad. However, even as I re-read occasionally as an adult I think the first series was better than the second.

Gene
Alan Gallagher
I read these books as a kid and they were great then. As I've grown older, I've noticed the detracting factors from the quality of writing to the originality of the story - but my nostalgia wins through. This series - The Mallorean - does not have as many good qualities as the first, but again, nostaglia. This series will always be a classic for me. Will update once I've read them again.
Have I mentioned how nifty it is to have the Main Evil Guy be, in fact, a woman? And not a shriveled old crone of a woman, even?

I didn't know Leigh Eddings died in February of this year. Thank you, Leigh, for making sure we got as many good female characters as males in these series.
Michael Murdoch
BOOK 4 OF THE MALLOREON, the worldwide bestselling fantasy series by one of the godfathers of the tradition. Discover the epic stories that inspired generations of fantasy writers - from Raymond Feist's The Riftwar Cycle to George R. R. Martin's A Game of Thrones. The Dark Destiny will soon become clear... The Ashabine oracles have been found. They carry a message from the evil god Torak, who Garion once destroyed - one that spells the end of all he thought he knew. A great battle of demons and ...more
Sabine
Am I rereading David Eddings' books in the wrong order just for the hell of it ? Yes. Does it matter ? No, cause I've read this thing a thousand times. I still love it. BUT.
Rereading it paying more attention to how women, those series really aren't the best. I mean, in this one,we are supposed to find it normal that Eriond (who is basically a child or a young boy with no training with weaponry) is putting himself in front of Polgara and Ce'Nedra to protect them from someone while the other fight
Strangerealms
I really enjoy reading these books, they have everything that make a good book: great well characterized characters, great story, good dark humor, great witty dialogues, packed with adventure and travels, great created world with each race, etc. Even though one may be scared of the 5 books to read they actually read too fast for my taste. I've heard some complaining that the books are too "light" but I like it this way. It's a serie I love rereading and being thrown back into with these deliciou ...more
David Sarkies
Okay, I have probably got to the point now where I really do not know what to write about a book. It is strange because I managed to get through all of Piers Anthony's books without coming to a stumbling block, but these series I have finally run out of steam. People seem to like this book, and well if they do then more power to them. I must admit that when I read this book I did enjoy it but when I look back on it now I sort of wonder how it was that I even bothered with it. I guess it is beca ...more
Eric Moreno
Andrew Wilson

### From Publishers Weekly

The wizard and shape-changer Belgarion continues his quest against evil in the land of Mallorea. "Eddings depicts a complex, believabl

Dark-Draco
The fourth book in the series - Garion is still chasing Zandramas, hoping to get his son back, but the prophecies are working on making sure he only does so when the time is right. From the island on Melcena, they travel slowly towards Kell, the one place where they can find out where the Place Which Is No More actually is. On the way, they find a copy of the Ashabine Oracles that neither Torak nor Zandramas tampered with, but what they learn there only adds to their worries, especially as Torak ...more
Brian
This book is the fourth of 'The Mallorean' series, a sequel to Eddings' 'Belgariad' series, and as such includes all the major characters of that previous series albeit several years later, plus several new ones.

The plotline is surpringsly similar to the first series: something important has been stolen and Garion and his friends must traverse the world to recover it lest the world be destroyed.

In this case the important thing is Garion's new-born son, who has been abducted by a Grolim preistess
Redax
Il libro narra le vicende di viaggio dei nostri eroi, con il solito stile di Eddings: scorrevole, ma vuoto.
Diversamente dalla maggior parte degli altri libri della serie, questo contiene qualche spunto interessante, come ad esempio la risposta alla domanda tormentone "Ma perch�� sempre io?" che il protagonista continua a riproporre da 9 libri (nove!). Adesso che ha trovato la risposta, il testimone passa ad un altro dei personaggi.
La trama �� debole: quando c'�� una situazione difficile o imposs
Ward Bond
EDITORIAL REVIEW:

Troubles and delays continued to mount as Garion, Belgarath, Polgara, and the company pursued Zandramas across the known world. Possessed by the Dark Destiny, she had stolen Garion's infant son to use in a ritual that would destroy all that was fair and good.

Always the quest led onward, across and beyond the continent of Mallorea, where the Evil God Torak had once been supreme until Garion slew him. And always Zandramas was one step ahead of them. The armies she had raised, led
Lizza11
Wauw, van spanningsopbouw heeft meneer Eddings wel pap van gegeten, wat doet hij dat in elk boek toch weer goed. Dit is het een na laatste boek in deze epische serie en nog steeds weten ze niet waar ze uiteindelijk heen moeten. Ze komen maar stapje voor stapje dichterbij en hun groep was nog steeds niet compleet.

Ik vind het ook leuk dat er zoveel verschillende (nieuwe) personen in de groep zitten. Hoewel ik Barak en Mandorallen ook erg leuk vond, zijn Sadi en Zakath toch ook erg interessant, ov
Rey Mysterioso
Limping to Darshiva

He's running out of steam, and he has to save his guff for book 10 of 10. I know.

I love this series, I do. I realize that its probably due to me being all of 13 and having to save up money to buy each one in Waldenbooks as soon as I devoured the one previous. Also, because there weren't many authors I knew that were producing books, plural. I mean Hebert. Then pray for rain.

Its got likable characters, and it FINALLY closing the loops that have been dangling for books now. Let'
Megan Chee
The most irritating thing about this book is that there are JUST SO MANY PEOPLE. And they all have SO MANY NAMES. Why, David Eddings, why?
Once I got that off my chest, it was actually a pretty good book. There was a bit in the middle that was so boring that I had to force myself to read it, but the rest was interesting and well-paced. The plot is getting pretty hard to follow, but I stopped worrying about that a long time ago.
I don't have a huge problem with large casts of characters, but it's
Mirta Martin
I was glad to get all of the books in this series as a Christmas present, because I at the moment I finished one book I had to start the next one. And I recommend to all of you who still haven´t read these: buy them all before starting to read, or you will regret it the moment you finish one book and realize you don´t have the next one yet.

These books can make anyone fall in love with fantasy.
Patrickderaaff
Feitelijk gebeurt er niet zoveel in het 4e deel van De Mallorea, maar dat maakt me niet uit.

Het reisgenootschap trekt rond en komt tijdens de achtervolging van Zandramas allerlei kleurrijke figuren tegen die op geheel eigen wijze het laatste nieuws doorgeven. In Melcene wordt de enige complete en ongewijzigde versie van de Ashabijne Orakels gevonden en de voorspellingen blijken gruwelijker dan Garion zich ooit had kunnen voorstellen. Enkele opmerkelijke figuren sluiten zich aan bij het gezelsch
Gabriel Salter
The writing style is good, the humor is still there, but the plot is flat. It's just the same old characters, doing the same old things they've been doing for nine books now, and I really don't care that much about them anymore. Entertaining enough to read, but only if you have nothing better to do.
Andrew Leon
It's great to re-visit the characters from The Belgariad and see them in action again; unfortunately, that's the best thing that can be said about the series. It's not that it's bad; it's a completely enjoyable read. However, Eddings fails to move forward with his writing and, instead, gives us what is essentially the same plot from The Belgariad over again. If you've read The Belgariad and loved it, you should certainly read The Mallorean, as well. If you're hoping for something new, though, mo ...more
D. Thompson
The series is awesome. I have read them all and they all have characters and scenery that make you feel you are there. Antagonist's keep the speed of the book flowing forcing you to stop reading and even then you can't wait to get back to it.
Tracy
The quest Garion and his companions are on is coming to end. They are nearing the final meeting place in which the Child of the Dark and the Child of the Light will meet.

This story continue with just a right amount of adventure to keep the story moving along. I still love all of the characters. There is humor, friendship, philosophical discussions (Beldin), just a hint of romance (not sicken though) and action.

Although there are a great number of similarities between this and the Belgariad serie
Christopher
A less bloated fourth novel in the Malloreon series where Garion and Friends are still on the hunt for his kidnapped son. This boos has improved pacing from the previous edition and it actually feels like they kind of care about Garion's son.
Denae
Out of all the battles they had, someone finally got injured! Bruised. For a couple days. And it wasn't even an important character.
Okay, so I find books more interesting when characters have to struggle through injuries every now and then.

Very repetitive. Attacks, storms, lots of traveling, any problems are solved in a chapter or two. It felt like a bunch of miniature episodes of adventure instead of one super-duper long one. Not even a middling sized one. If they had come up against the demons
Jordan
May 20, 2012 Jordan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: may
Garion continues his long search for the Sardion and his son, and during his journey, he is joined by a peculiar wolf. But once again, he is captured by Zakath, ruler of Mallorea. He makes friends with him, and then Zakath lets them resume their quest, but he also goes along with them. But their still under constant threat. Zandramas, Child of Dark, will do anything to keep them away from where they must be.

I chose this book because I liked all the onther books in this series, so the only logica
Brenda
The Belgariad Series and the Mallorean Series are hands down one of the best science fiction series ever written. These series along with the companion books, Belgarath and Polgara are must reads for any science fiction fans. The characters are extremely well developed. These start off slow, but they are well worth the reading. I have recommended these series to at least 30 different people and not one of them have not come away being a die hard fan. My daughters have even recruited their friend ...more
Nick
The fourth installment is more of the same. Garion and company continue on in their quest to fulfill an ancient prophecy. The foretold complete group of heroes has finally been established and finally, and I do mean finally, they will march on to the mystical 'place that is no more'.[return][return]If you have made it to this book in the series you are either a) loving every footstep and hoof beat of Eddings' universe, b) you are a completest and must follow the heroes in spite of your better ju ...more
The Nerd Herd: Sorceress of Darshiva 1 3 Feb 22, 2014 01:52PM
  • Prince of the Blood (Krondor's Sons, #1)
  • The Scions of Shannara (Heritage of Shannara, #1)
  • The Black Raven (The Dragon Mage, #2)
  • The Star Scroll (Dragon Prince, #2)
  • Magic's Promise (Valdemar: Last Herald-Mage #2)
  • Deryni Checkmate (The Chronicles of the Deryni, #2)
David Eddings was an American author who has written several best-selling series of epic fantasy novels. David Eddings' wife, Leigh Eddings, is uncredited as co-author on many of his early books, but he has lately acknowledged that she contributed to them all.

David Eddings' first books (which were general fiction) sold moderately well. He later switched to writing epic fantasy, a field in which he
More about David Eddings...
Magician's Gambit (The Belgariad, #3) Enchanters' End Game (The Belgariad, #5) Belgarath the Sorcerer Castle of Wizardry (The Belgariad, #4) Pawn of Prophecy (The Belgariad, #1)

“Belgarath turned back to Senji. “All right,” he said. “The Sardion came to Zamad. How?”
“It’s said to have fallen out of the sky.”
“They always do,” Beldin said. “Someday I’d like to see something rise up out of the earth –just for the sake of variety.”
38 likes
“Isn't it easier to forgive than to hate?
-Eriond”