Start by marking “Pertengkaran dan Kisah-Kisah Lain” as Want to Read:
Pertengkaran dan Kisah-Kisah Lain
Read Book* *Different edition

Pertengkaran dan Kisah-Kisah Lain

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  503 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Pertengkaran bercerita tentang perselisihan dua orang bangsawan bertetangga - Ivan Ivanovich dan Ivan Nikiforofich - yang semula bersahabat karib. Pangkalnya adalah karena keinginan Ivan Ivanovich untuk memiliki senjata tua milik Ivan Nikiforovich tak terpenuhi. Ivan Ivanovich menawarkan seekor babi berbulu coklat miliknya sebagai penukar. Namun Ivan Nikiforovich tidak ber ...more
Paperback, 1st ed., 166 pages
Published March 2005 by Bentang Pustaka (first published 1834)

To ask other readers questions about Pertengkaran dan Kisah-Kisah Lain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pertengkaran dan Kisah-Kisah Lain

Joey
Woody Allen has a well-known predilection for Russian literature. When you read this book, you will notice the heavy influence that Gogol and the other big Russians had on Allen's films. This novella, along with Gogol's other short works, is far superior to his "masterpiece" Dead Souls. A carefully constructed work of absurdity and satire that involves 2 lifelong best friends who end up in an epic, almost slapstick courtroom battle over one man calling the other 'a goose'. Sounds like a ridiculo ...more
Mia
Hilarious, especially the strange details used to describe characters. Here are the two main characters, for example: "Ivan Ivanovitch's head is like a radish, tail down; Ivan Nikiforovitch's like a radish with the tail up... Ivan Ivanovitch gets into a terrible rage if a fly falls into his beet soup. Then he is fairly beside himself; he flings away his plate and the housekeeper catches it. Ivan Nikiforovitch is very fond of bathing; and when he gets up to the neck in water, orders a table and a ...more
Han Asra
Sastra Rusia dapat dikatakan memiliki lebih banyak penulis cerpen dibandingkan dengan negara yang lain yang biasanya didominasi oleh novelis. Cerpen mungkin sering dipandang lebih inferior dibandingkan dengan novel atau puisi karena panjangnya yang dapat ditawarkan. Namun ada hal yang perlu diingat bahwa cerpen merupakan satu tantangan tersendiri dalam dunia sastra karena sastrawan harus mampu memberikan penulisan terbaiknya hanya dengan beberapa belas halaman saja. Tentu hal itu sebenarnya suli ...more
David
Loved it. Not because it made me laugh my ass off (which it did), but because the ending caught me off guard and really hit me between the eyes. I was instantly sobered, after being intoxicated with his hilarious narrative, which is, of course, exactly the method and effect he was aiming at. I didn't stand a chance - I got "schooled'," happily and gratefully. It made me look at my own relationships, and the 'human condition'. Powerful stuff. In the story, the quarrel never 'comes to blows', but ...more
Rachel
So apparently Seth Rogen did not invent comedy, as I had previously thought.

Gogol is funny as shit. I know you don't believe it, because he is from the 1800s, but believe it.

This book is all about how these two guys stop being friends because one calls the other a "goose" and then that one goes to court and says that he cannot be a goose for reasons including this one:

"But a goose, as is well known to every one who has any knowledge of science, cannot be inscribed in the baptismal register; for
Thing Two
This amusing little tale had me laughing out loud at the absurdity of man. Two life long friends call it quits over a momentary error when one Ivan calls the other Ivan a goose. From here everything falls apart.

Like I said, I actually had moments when I laughed out loud at this one. If you are a fan of Russian literature, you'll probably enjoy this short novella.
Nicola Mansfield
I was first introduced to Gogol in an unusual way, by my grade 10 French teacher of all people. M. Berard told us his love for this Russian author of short stories and spent some time reading aloud to the class "The Nose" from a French translation, of course taking time out to make sure we were getting it. It's something I'll always remember. Flash back to now and when I received this book, I thought Gogol? Gogol? isn't that the "Nose" guy so I looked him up and indeed it is the same author. So ...more
Darryl
This novella about two long time friends in early 19th century Russia was written in 1835 and recently re-released by Melville House Publishing as part of its "Art of the Novella" series. Ivan Ivanovich and Ivan Nikiforovitch are next door neighbors, long time friends and respected citizens in the town of Mirgorod. During one of their daily meetings a simple conversation turns ugly, as Ivan Nikiforovitch calls his neighbor a name that deeply offends him. The situtation escalates to a war of word ...more
Kungkang Kangkung
Sebenarnya 3,5 bintang, tapi saya bulatkan ke bawah karena kurangnya twist yang membuat saya bisa menebak ending dari dua cerita dalam buku ini. Saya sangat suka cara Gogol bercerita, meski terkesan bertele-tele dengan penyebutan bermacam-macam benda untuk melengkapi setting, tapi Gogol memberi kesegaran melalui kalimat-kalimatnya yang jenaka. Tema cerita yang diangkat juga sederhana dan cukup unik, menambahkan nilai tersendiri.

Buku ini merupakan sastra Rusia pertama yang saya baca, jadi saya se
Kathaileen
The two Ivans were next door neighbors and friends. They are opposites. One is very organized and proper, one is glutenous and a little more free spirited. The problem arises when the first Ivan (Ivanovich) sees his neighbor’s belongings being aired out in the yard. Most things really don’t interest him very much until he spots a pistol. He covets it. The second Ivan (Nikiforovich) doesn’t have much use for the pistol, but he doesn’t want to give it to him. They argue and Ivan Nikiforovich ends ...more
Veronica
In this tale, Gogol' shows many of the traits that characterize his more famous and mature work, such as the "Petersburg Tales" and "Dead Souls". The irony is vibrant, the characters are well developed and represent several shades of the human being. A good representation of certain traits of society, still relevant at this very moment.
AticoLibros
Por qué se pelearon los dos Ivanes, de Nikolai Gogol, explora con gran sentido del humor algo tan universal como es la amistad. La historia empieza con una pelea entre dos viejos amigos después de que uno llame ganso al otro. A partir de ahí, el enfrentamiento se complica y la situación resulta cada vez más absurda. Gogol hace uso de toda su ironía y humor negro para trazar este retrato de las relaciones humanas y sus contradicciones.

La publicación de Por qué se pelearon los dos Ivanes se enmarc
Phoebe Lynn
A great comic short story, farcical most of the time. Made me laugh out loud quite a few times! The characters are described in an interesting way, the way the whole quarrel started was completely absurd.
Ended on a sad note though I feel.
Poprishchin
This story maybe wasn't as entertaining as I had expected it to be... to be honest I had a lot of concentration difficulties with it. I don't know why exactly. Possibly there just weren't any hooks of the sort that I'm used to.

Even if Gogol's writing is quite funny, it always has this serious undertone. So had this story. Essentially the point is that people should just learn to forgive. Even very close in my family circle I've got to witness this kind of enmity for a decade already, and it's qu
Irène Wadowski uliasz
une nouvelle courte mais qui atteint bien son but. Elle montre jusqu' où la fierté et la susceptibilité peuvent amener une relation à dégénérer
Marko Ruostetoja
2.5/5
Too picaresque to be taken seriously.
Dido
Heerlijk om te lezen. Misschien wel leuker dan Dostojevski die ik onlangs las.
Gogol is een meester in het schetsen van een normale vriendschapsrelatie die om een onbenulligheid totaal ontspoort.

Het korte verhaal houd er op een prettige manier de vaart in, alhowel het aan het einde wat abrupt afkapt.

De personages die Gogol aanvoert in het verhaal zijn stuk voor stuk van dien aard dat ze stuk voor stuk veel verder uitgediept kunnen worden. Een uitgebreider verhaal zou Gogol hier dan ook zonder pro
Chema
Simplemente fantástico.
Judith
Jan 19, 2008 Judith rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Gogol fans,
The short story set, The Squabble is also known as "How Ivan Ivanovich Quarreled with Ivan Nikidorovich". I prefer the Penguin Classics Edition translation by Ronald Wilks in Diary of a Madman and Other Stories over this one. This version by Hesperus Classics contains two other 'tragicomedy' short stories: Old Worlde Landowners and The Carriage, in addition to The Squabble. The foreward by Patrick McCabe and the Intro by translator Hugh Aplin are a plus.
Sam
This novella has everything that I loved about Gogol's Dead Souls--the witty tone, humor, and absurdity--all bundled up in a small, but still fulfilling, morsel of a story. I am really enjoying Melville House's "Art of the Novella" series--a perfect way to get a taste of a variety of well-known classic works without having to worry about the time commitment demanded by longer masterpieces.
Hizrah Muchtar
Cerita yang amat sangat jenaka khas Gogol tanpa harus mengurangi makna yang ingin diungkapkan, yaitu menyoroti kegemaran orang Ukrania dalam mengajukan gugatan hukum.

Pertengkaran dua sahabat Ivan Ivanovich dan Ivan Nikiforovich yang berlangsung bertahun2, penuh dengan kekonyolan, trik, gugat-meggugat dan cacian. Tragis, komikal, absurd dan luar biasa lucu.
Melville House Publishing
This beautifully packaged series of classic novellas includes the works of Anton Chekhov, Colette, Henry James, Herman Melville, and Leo Tolstoy. These collectible editions are the first single-volume publications of these classic tales, offering a closer look at this underappreciated literary form and providing a fresh take on the world's most celebrated authors.
Jason Mashak
Perhaps if one hasn't already read Franz Kafka or Jaroslav Hašek the book might seem like more of an accomplishment, but it falls short of what Gogol was capable of, as indicated in some of his other works.
René
There were three stories in this collection. I preferred "Olde-Worlde Landowners" of the three. The stories were fine, but nothing special. I was kind of irked that they just ended in the middle of everything. I know that not every story needs a nice 'everything gets wrapped up' conclusion, but the way these stories ended was rather abrupt.
Laetitia
A witty book about two neighbours (and friends), getting lost in a huge fight about nothing. Gogol plays with his reader like he's used to, describing the most negligible details. But it isn't just funny; you can feel there probably is some kind of message too.
Wendy
Jubilant, hilarious, ridiculous - this novella is GREAT. Gogol is great, so much funnier than I expected. I envisioned the whole story as portrayed by slapstick Muppets, with a nice Jim Henson-y moral to the story no less.
Sam
  • The Man Who Corrupted Hadleyburg
  • Chroniques Italiennes
  • The Nice Old Man and the Pretty Girl
  • La Fanfarlo
Nikolai Vasilievich Gogol (Николай Васильевич Гоголь) was born in the Ukrainian Cossack village of Sorochyntsi, in Poltava Governorate of the Russian Empire, present-day Ukraine. His mother was a descendant of Polish nobility. His father Vasily Gogol-Yanovsky, a descendant of Ukrainian Cossacks, belonged to the petty gentry, wrote poetry in Russian and Ukrainian, and was an amateur Ukrainian-langu ...more
More about Nikolai Gogol...
Dead Souls The Overcoat The Collected Tales of Nikolai Gogol The Nose The Overcoat and Other Short Stories