Stranger Than Fiction: The Shooting Script

Stranger Than Fiction: The Shooting Script

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  8 reviews
In this strange and delightful tale, an IRS agent namedHarold Crick suddenly finds himself the subject of a narrationonly he can hear—narration that soon affects everythingfrom his work to his love life to his death. Starring WillFerrell, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Dustin Hoffman, Queen Latifah,and Emma Thompson, Stranger Than Fiction is a heartfelt film,perhaps a comedy, perhaps...more
Published November 10th 2006 by Newmarket Press

To ask other readers questions about Stranger Than Fiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stranger Than Fiction

Cinquantaine
Jeffrey Howard
As others have stated, this screenplay tells the story of a dispassionate, number-counting guy and his wardrobe accessory. Upon hearing a voice narrating his every move, he learns to follow fate's will for him to find love and the courage to change his life.

The script's humor delivers well, but I am not sure whether it is the script alone or because I saw the film with Will Ferrell first. The story is refreshing, and in addition to my love for stories about writers, this one leaves you changed w...more
Letitia
Glorious story! So creative, so touching, so perfectly cast and ingeniously conceived. One of my top 10 films. The screenplay should have been nominated for an Oscar.
Amanda
There's some smart stuff in here. Not just the script, but the "extras" (which are a bit like McSweeney's with a smidge less artifice).
Dan
Beautifully offbeat film about love, mathematics and men's fashion accessories. Helm's writing is wonderfully dry and clever.
lainey
the script is every bit as good as the movie and slightly better cuz i like to relish each word and each scene in my mind.
Tom
great dramatic theme, comes across brilliantly.
Stultuscaudex
Stultuscaudex marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
力慈 陳
力慈 陳 marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Prajakti
Prajakti marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
Alinuschka
Alinuschka marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Marie Claire
Marie Claire marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2014
Jessica Ann Peterson
Jessica Ann Peterson marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2013
Aliaa
Aliaa marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2013
Vishno Knecht
Vishno Knecht marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2013
Anshuman Ansu
Anshuman Ansu marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Zachariah "Zach" Helm is an American writer and film director.

As a playwright Helm has had two plays produced; Last Chance for a Slow Dance and Good Canary, the latter having its 2007 world premiere in Paris under the direction of John Malkovich. The play received six Moliére nominations, the most of that year and also won France's Crystal Globe award for Best Play.

His debut screenplay, Stranger t...more
More about Zach Helm...
El buen canario Stranger Than Fiction (2006 film)

“Sometimes, when we lose ourselves in fear and despair, in routine and constancy, in hopelessness and tragedy, we can thank God for Bavarian sugar cookies. And, fortunately, when there aren't any cookies, we can still find reassurance in a familiar hand on our skin, or a kind and loving gesture, or subtle encouragement, or a loving embrace, or an offer of comfort, not to mention hospital gurneys and nose plugs, an uneaten Danish, soft-spoken secrets, and Fender Stratocasters, and maybe the occasional piece of fiction. And we must remember that all these things, the nuances, the anomalies, the subtleties, which we assume only accessorize our days, are effective for a much larger and nobler cause. They are here to save our lives. I know the idea seems strange, but I also know that it just so happens to be true.” 40 likes
“Dr. Jules Hilbert: Hell Harold, you could just eat nothing but pancakes if you wanted.

Harold Crick: What is wrong with you? Hey, I don't want to eat nothing but pancakes, I want to live! I mean, who in their right mind in a choice between pancakes and living chooses pancakes?

Dr. Jules Hilbert: Harold, if you pause to think, you'd realize that that answer is inextricably contingent upon the type of life being led... and, of course, the quality of the pancakes. ”
13 likes