One Place After Another: Site-Specific Art and Locational Identity

One Place After Another: Site-Specific Art and Locational Identity

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  164 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Site-specific art emerged in the late 1960s in reaction to the growing commodification of art and the prevailing ideals of art's autonomy and universality. Throughout the 1970s and 1980s, as site-specific art intersected with land art, process art, performance art, conceptual art, installation art, institutional critique, community-based art, and public art, its creators i...more
Published February 27th 2004 by MIT Press (MA) (first published June 21st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about One Place After Another, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Place After Another

Jacob Wren
Miwon Kwon writes:

It occurred to me some time ago that for many of my art and academic friends, the success and viability of one’s work are now measured by the accumulation of frequent flyer miles. The more we travel for work, the more we are called upon to provide institutions in other parts of the country and the world with our presence and services, the more we give in to the logic of nomadism, one could say, the more we are made to feel wanted, needed, validated and relevant. Our very sense...more
Egor Sofronov
If not for too verbose and lengthy critique of identity politics-community-based art of the early-to-mid 90s this book would be a gem. On the registers of polemics, theorization and historicity, Kwon is impeccable. In fact, half of the book was published almost verbatim in the journal October, Spring 1997 and all the important stuff (and engaging reading) is there.
Ally
This book was suggested to me as a primer on contemporary discussion of Public Art and though I found it informative, it certainly doesn't offer any new ideas in terms of how practice in the public sphere is changing for artists. Technology and the arts are almost wholey neglected and the book is annoyingly academic at times.
Penny
A good question:
"How do we account, for instance, for the sense of soaring exhilaration and the anxious dread ngendered by the new fluidities and continuities of space and time, on the one hand, and their ruptures and disconnections on the other? And what could this doubleness of experience mean in our lives?"
Virginia
it was terribly dry. so dry that i needed to drink a glass of water when i was done with it. it parched me, no one likes that.
the absence of christo was off-putting.
Jesse McLean
Great history of the theory and practice of public art since the 1960's. Some people took offense at the omission of the Situationists, but I'm okay with it.
Nathaniel
an excellent survey and theoretical analysis of site specific art.
Chris Aro
Chris Aro marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Matt Moore
Matt Moore marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Lovebooks
Lovebooks marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Trine Paulsen
Trine Paulsen marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Ching-In
Ching-In marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Shivadhanu Seralathan
Shivadhanu Seralathan marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Robin Masi
Robin Masi marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
rasha  adly
rasha adly marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Russell Shoemaker
Russell Shoemaker marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Jonge Woudloper
Jonge Woudloper marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Ruthmarie
Ruthmarie marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Xnzz
Xnzz marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
N Insley
N Insley marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
  • Theories and Documents of Contemporary Art: A Sourcebook of Artists' Writings
  • Originality of the Avant-Garde and Other Modernist Myths
  • After Modern Art, 1945-2000
  • The Anti-Aesthetic: Essays on Postmodern Culture
  • Seeing Is Forgetting the Name of the Thing One Sees: A Life of Contemporary Artist Robert Irwin
  • Women, Art, and Society (World of Art)
  • The Artist's Reality: Philosophies of Art
  • The Guerrilla Girls' Bedside Companion to the History of Western Art
  • The Language of New Media
  • Exquisite Pain
  • Theories of Modern Art: A Source Book by Artists and Critics
  • The Politics of Aesthetics
  • Daybook: The Journal of an Artist
  • Techniques of the Observer: On Vision and Modernity in the 19th Century: On Vision and Modernity in the Nineteenth Century (October Books)
James Turrell Oscar Tuazon: Live Naoshima: Nature, Art, Architecture Cai Guo-Qiang: I Want to Believe Mark Dion: Contemporary Artist