Start by marking “The Phantom Rickshaw and Other Ghost Stories ” as Want to Read:
The Phantom Rickshaw and Other Ghost Stories

The Phantom Rickshaw and Other Ghost Stories

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  307 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Works from the well known British author and poet and creator of 'The Jungle Book'.
Published 2006 by Hard Press (first published 1888)

To ask other readers questions about The Phantom Rickshaw and Other Ghost Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Phantom Rickshaw and Other Ghost Stories

sabisteb
Die Die Gespenster-Rikscha oder auch die gespenstische Rikscha, wurde 1885 vom damals erst neunzehn Jahre alten Kipling, der heute vor allem für sein Dschungel Buch und den Waisenjungen Mowgli bekannt ist.
Diese Geschichte ist in vielerlei Hinsicht überraschend. Zwar spielt sie ebenfalls in Indien, jedoch erzählt sie von einer leidenschaftlichen Affäre zwischen dem Offizier Jack Pansay mit der verheirateten Agnes Keith-Wessington, ein schon damals skandalöses Thema. Für Jack ist diese Affäre nie
Veda Riaz fatmy
The Phantom Rickshaw is a tale about how a man who has been very hurtful to his former lover is punished by repeated apparitions of the ghost of her rickshaw. A good read to pass the time, nothing brilliant except of course the lesson that you must be gentle to women.
Apryl Anderson
(1.1.1994), Some entertaining tales, but I couldn’t help but feel that I was skiping a few pages occasionally—sometimes it was hard to follow. I think it’s because some terms that were common to the British expatriates in India, or maybe the time period, have been forgotten over time and oceans. More explanations would’ve have done any harm.

What was Kipling’s impression of India? Did he really believe that Britons were the Master Race? I know that was the zeitgeist, and many of his tales reflec
Pat Elliott
Not all of the stories are ghost stories, and some are feeling rather dated. However, still an enjoyable book. Not the Rickshaw of the title, nor the man who would be King grabbed me the most, but the last, a story of a young man who could recollect his past lives. That was the most fascinating to me, though not a ghost in it!
Siobhan
A little difficult to read. I didn't find the tales eerie as the cover described them, although the concept of some of them is. Somehow it managed to be interesting and boring at the same time. I probably liked The Strange Ride Of Morrowbie Jukes the best, but The Phantom Rickshaw was good too. The Man Who Would Be King appealed to me the least, and I'm not sure why it's so highly thought of.
Kathi Sharp
Heard on The Classic Tales Podcast: http://classictales.libsyn.com/episod...
Just the Phantom Rickshaw, not the whole collection. Liked the little bits of humor: "A woman eight months dead with a cardcase!"
Cooper Renner
Most of us wouldn't call most of these stories ghost stories--just the title story is fairly traditionally so. Man Who Would Be King is included, and it's hardly a ghost story. The best tale may be the final one, about an encounter between a writer and a young man who is remembering past lives without realizing it.
BJ Haun
I started reading this collection months and months ago, and in a recent effort to clear out my list of books that I had started and then put down, picked this one up again...only to to be reminded of why I put it down. Kipling's writing just doesn't do anything for me. I made it through the first 3 stories in the book, went to skip over "The Man Who Would be King" as I had read it previously, and found that I couldn't for myself to make the effort to flip the "pages" on my Kindle to the last st ...more
Matt
Good little ghost story. I like the fact it took place in Victorian India.
Kilian Metcalf
Kipling is such a product of his time and culture that it is difficult to assess him from a 21st-century perspective. Ultimately his work lives, in spite of his own personal philosophy of what we consider imperialism and racism today, because he is a consummate story teller. The reader is willing to overlook the cringe-worthy attitudes toward the lower races because we desperately want to know 'then what happened?' as we read. Add in the element of memorable characters, unpredictable plot turns, ...more
Rodrigo
These are ghost stories Kipling style. The mystery is quickly substituted by a fine irony and a delicate sense of humor making these stories absolutely delicious to read. My favorite is the one about the "almost dead" people, which mean people that were thought to be dead but awoke just at the moment they were going to be thrown at the Ganges. Well, since they are not dead, but were considered to be dead, it is easier to send them to a village secluded from the world were they can complete their ...more
Joseph
For what it is, perfect.
Nan Silvernail
Quite a collection of period pieces. The title story is highly embroidered in the language of the time and place, but it is quite eerie. The Delphi Classics edition (in the Complete Works collection) has a photo of the original publication. A lovely bonus. This collection also contained "The Man Who Would Be King." I found it more sad than eerie. I'm not completely sure why this tale has gained the acclaim it has, but then again, I wasn't impressed by the movie, "Citizen Kane," so weigh that how ...more
Celia
Enough, but...not enough.
Debra B.
I enjoyed these stories and their historical context. It was a free download to my Kindle.
Leslie
Only the first 2 stories ("The Phantom 'Rickshaw" and "My Own True Ghost Story") are really ghost stories. I found these 2 more creepy in concept than in the actual reading - both of them would adapt well as a scary movie. I found "The Finest Story in the World" the best story in this volume, especially in terms of the writing style. I did like the novella "The Man Who Would Be King" mainly because it recalled to mind the wonderful film version with Michael Caine and Sean Connery!
Andrew Ives
All very nicely written but the stories are mostly ridiculous. The Man Who Would Be King is by far the best, but my memory may be slightly rose-tinted by the film which I remember quite fondly. The last story about 'the greatest tale ever written' was rather tiresome with extracts of poetry, and the exuberant claim that Charlie's tale about a Greek galley ship would ever be 'the greatest' is somewhat doubtful anyway. 3.5/5
Sal
Jedes Mal, wenn ich etwas von Rudyard Kipling lese, frage ich mich, warum ich nicht viel mehr von diesem äußerst unterhaltsamen Autor gelesen habe. Diese Erzählung habe ich als Hörbuch kostenlos (und legal) auf www.vorleser.ner. Die kurzweilige Erzählung hat mich auf einer verregneten Autofahrt mitten in den Stau auf einer gesperrten Autobahn angenehm unterhalten.
Satyabrat Mishra
What can I say about the master of the ghost prose? All stories are chilling with a twist in the spine. Mostly set in the rustic corners of India, each story is like none other but scary at par. If you are looking for a ghost story, pick this book up. You won't regret it ( can't say about sleepless nights though )
Ryan
Just a bit of nothing compared to the amazing Kim, but a pleasant enough handful of stories. Sadly, nothing really captivating though. The title story is probably the best of the bunch, so if it doesn't grab you, probably best to spend your time reading something better.
Dwight
My 2nd favorite book after Kim. Absolute must-read if you've traveled to or wanted to have traveled to India. Includes "The Man Who Would Be King," and yes, the short story is 87 times better than the movie.
Wendy Denham
This different to anything else I have read by Kipling. A really good book to read on a stormy night with a nice hot drink of glass of something to your liking.
Kristin
hated it! Did not even finish the book. Only got about halfway through and quit.
Laurel Hicks
This story would have been better if it had been written by Gogol. Or Saki.
Hans
Punishment of a scorned lover.
Tanuja
Aug 06, 2010 Tanuja added it
Nice
Maria
Renee
Renee marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
  • Il dolore perfetto
  • Sessanta racconti
  • Crota: A Novel
  • From Within
Awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1907 "in consideration of the power of observation, originality of imagination, virility of ideas and remarkable talent for narration which characterize the creations of this world-famous author."

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudyard_...
More about Rudyard Kipling...
The Jungle Books The Jungle Book Just So Stories Kim Captains Courageous

“More men are killed by overwork than the importance of the world justifies.” 5 likes
“...I saw the infernal Thing blocking my path in the twilight. The dead travel fast, and by short cuts unknown to ordinary coolies. I laughed aloud a second time, and checked my laughter suddenly, for I was afraid I was going mad.” 2 likes