Start by marking “All-Of-A-Kind Family (All of a kind family, #1)” as Want to Read:
All-Of-A-Kind Family (All of a kind family, #1)

All-Of-A-Kind Family (All-of-a-Kind Family #1)

4.23  ·  Rating Details ·  18,960 Ratings  ·  749 Reviews
Ships from USA. Will take 25-35 days
Published by Dell Publishing Co. Inc. (first published 1951)

To ask other readers questions about All-Of-A-Kind Family, please sign up.

Dana Weiczman I found these books when I was 8 or so, in mid 1960's Philadelphia, in the library. So glad I did. Love them.

Brina
As a kid the first chapter book I remember reading was All-of-a-Kind Family by Sydney Taylor. In the perfect historical fiction book, which later became a series, for Jewish girls, Taylor detailed the life of a family of five girls who lived in the tenements of the Lower East Side around the turn of the 20th century. I read the entire series so many times when I was growing up that I felt as though I was part of the family. When a challenge I entered called for a classic book I read as a child, ...more
Manybooks
Feb 22, 2010 Manybooks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys traditional family stories, anyone interested in Jewish-American culture
A heart-warming, gently humorous and informative family story, and my one main regret is that I have only recently discovered Sydney Taylor's All-of-a-Kind Family and its sequels. Wonderful, delightful episodes show the joys, the struggles and the close family and neighbourhood ties of a Jewish-American family in early 20th century New York City. I love how the different Jewish holidays, how Jewish cultural and religious traditions are depicted and shown throughout the story, informatively, but ...more
Melody
Sep 10, 2007 Melody rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First re-read of this book in years uncountable.

This is the book from which I first learned about the Jewish faith. As a little heathen child, I'd been dragged to various Christian churches by friends and cousins, and I knew (I thought) all about that religion which was boring, boring, boring. But this...nobody I knew ever built a little bitty house in their backyard. Or got to eat parsley dipped in salt water. I was fascinated.

Not only was I a little heathen, I was also a little singleton. Re
Wendy Darling
May 08, 2011 Wendy Darling rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Little House, Betsy-Tacy, Eleanor Estes
This is a series I reread every year. No one else has ever captured the early 1900's in the Jewish lower side of New York like this, and it's fascinating to read about the holidays and customs and everyday life that this little troop of girls experiences. I still wish I could walk through those streets teeming with peddlers selling big dill pickles, candied orange slices, and spiced chick peas!

These books are great for those who love old-fashioned stories about growing up, like the Little House
Kellyn Roth
One of the best books ever. I love all the little girls and Mama and Papa and their friends and relatives. The setting is amazing, too. I kinda want to go there, even though it was probably a pretty hard life. :)
Lisa Vegan
I first read this book about 50 years ago (yes, I am dating myself) and the last time I read it was probably 49 years ago. I remember loving the book at the time but I think read it just the years I was 9 and 10, and I think I always read library copies. I am wondering if I even read it in third grade but I don’t remember for sure, so I’m sticking with my original read date, which was when I was in fourth grade.

I did a reread, something I’ve long wanted to do, mostly because the Children's Books
Hilary
Jun 16, 2016 Hilary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am so suprised this book (appears to me ) to be unheard of in the UK. It took some trouble and cost quite a lot finding a copy, but so glad we did.

A beautiful book describing daily life of a close Jewish immigrant family. We loved the adventures of these sisters. Having lived in Israel, the descriptions of Jewish festivals brought back happy memories of time spent with friends. The descriptions of the festivals and their meaning for the family, illustrates how humans seem to benefit from ritu
Luann
Jul 25, 2008 Luann rated it really liked it
All-of-a-Kind Family is another book I would have loved when I was younger - such a nice, wholesome story. I probably would have had to rush right out and find all of the All-of-a-Kind books. I still enjoyed the book very much reading it for the first time as an adult, and wouldn't mind reading more of them sometime. I really liked that although the family was poor, they were very happy and their lack of "things" wasn't a huge issue for them like it is in some stories. I also really enjoyed read ...more
Hannah Messler
Apr 04, 2009 Hannah Messler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hurrah! A Jewish tenement family in turn-of-the-century LES New York. My Mom can distinctly remember being in fourth grade, in her little bedroom in their trailer in Kentucky, reading this book while her Dad called her to come to dinner. If only for that, I would love this book, but it turns out the book is TOTALLY charming.
CLM
Aug 05, 2007 CLM rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to CLM by: Ward School library
What a fabulous book! How many girls like me learned about Judaism from these books? I think it is still a great choice to read aloud or give to girls from 6 to 10. Here is a link to my review:

Deb
Aug 05, 2007 Deb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These books are underappreciated! In my mind they rank with the Little House books - every little girl should read them!
Victoria Lynn
Mar 11, 2017 Victoria Lynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
TOTALLY LOVED THIS BOOK! oh my goodness! One of the best children's level chapter books ever! I have read it more than 5 times including read-aloud's to my younger siblings. Such a sweet, adorable story full of rich detail about Jewish families in the 1900's.
Pili
This is yet another book that I've read and loved thanks to the very awesome ladies at The Midnight Garden. As another of their middle grade challenge read-along books, this is a new discovery for me and yet again, a lovely lil gem!

All-of-a-kind family is the kind of lil story that would really help children see how different things were quite a few years back, and it works the same way with adults. Every description felt so genuine, so well done, and nothing in the narrative, not the descriptio
Georgia Herod
May 07, 2014 Georgia Herod rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a delightful read! Although this book was published in 1951, the year after I had started school, I had only read references to it or excerpts from it, until my 8-year-old granddaughter highly recommended it. She loved Ella, Henny, Charlotte, Sarah, and Gertie, the five girls in Sydney Taylor's family that is "close and loving and loyal," where harmony prevails, where faith is lived out in every aspect of life, where life is an adventure. My granddaughters love going to the library, just li ...more
Laura Verret
Jul 27, 2012 Laura Verret rated it it was amazing
I had chosen my books, narrowed them down to those I thought looked most promising, and begun to wait for my mother and sister to wrap up their purchases. The library sale was practically over. But while I was waiting, I figured that I might as well glance through the children's books one last time before we left..... and that's when I found All-of-a-Kind Family.

The Story.

Because All-of-a-Kind Family doesn’t exactly have a plot-line, it is difficult to describe what 'the story' is. Each chapter
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
Apr 14, 2015 Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids aged 10-12 and their parents
Shelves: children
A nice, quiet read for another sleepless night, this story of a Jewish family on the Lower East Side at the beginning of the 20th century puts the "chapter" in "chapter book"--in the sense that each chapter can be read as a unit. That's my one complaint; there isn't really a unifying thread, or if there is, it feels chopped off at the end of each chapter, and the following one begins a completely different vignette with little to no sense of flow. The Gentile romance thread felt shoehorned in.

In
Kathryn
Oct 18, 2007 Kathryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Charming, sweet, heartwarming and thoughtful! This entire series is a gem. The family is so sweet, so tight-knit. While the book is a pure pleasure to read simply because you will love the family so much, it's also interesting from a historical/social standpoint to read about early 1900s America and this Jewish family's experience.
Amy
We just enjoyed this book too much not to give it five stars. Full review here: http://www.sunlitpages.com/2016/11/al...
Deyanne
Feb 26, 2017 Deyanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Brina
Shelves: young-children
I love to read good children's literature and this book of a bygone era (1912) was informative and charming. I was hoping this might be the book I would choose to read with my grade-school grandchildren this summer, but I am not sure if it would meet the diverse needs. I loved the family solidarity and I particularly enjoyed the traditional religious observances. If I do choose this for the summer, I would look for a book on Jewish traditions with pictures to share with the children. I would lik ...more
Cynthia Egbert
Feb 02, 2017 Cynthia Egbert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
I adored the opportunity to fall in love with this family and to get a glimpse into the grand life they carve for themselves in a rundown Brooklyn tenement. I love women like this mother that make me want to be more grounded and calm and solid for my children and others around me. And these sweet girls who have such a clear understanding of right and wrong and honesty. I just appreciated the short time I got to spend away in their world.

This particular image that the author created was my favour
Skylar Burris
This children’s novel, set in the early nineteen hundreds in New York City, follows a year in the life of an orthodox Jewish family with five daughters. It provides a good overview to most of the Jewish holidays and was a good way of introducing my daughter to Jewish customs. (She kept asking me, however, why only the dad went to synagogue, and I wasn’t sure of the answer.) I personally didn’t find it very interesting; it’s slow-paced and not written in a particularly alluring style, and, on the ...more
Naomi Sarah
Aw, this book is SO CUTE. No, I didn't enjoy it half as much as I did when I read it first (as a younger person) - but I still like it a lot. Let's lists some of the goods and the bads, shall we?

The good.
1. It is, as I mentioned earlier, disastrously cute. The girls are cute, the writing is cute, the romance is cute, the stories are cute. (And now I'm tired of the word 'cute.')
2. Oh, and the pictures. OH I LOVE THE PICTURES IN HERE. They're just so classy and lovely and old-fashioned and r
Jeanette
I only wish I had read this before I read The Other Half. I really tried not to be cynical while reading this book and reminded myself that this is just a fun book for kids not a treatise on life in tenements on the east side of New York. It's just that after reading about Jacob Riis, I can't help but see this book as a very rose colored look at tenement life. Yes, I know not everyone lived in dank, dark, squalor but they were still surrounded by it.
So, unfortunately my reading of this book was
Rebecca McNutt
I don't often read children's novels, but All-of-a-Kind-Family is both a classic and a wonderful story about history, friendship and growing up in New York. There are so many classics about growing up in rural areas and on farms, but very few that take place in an urban setting like this one.
I just introduced this stellar series to a fourth grade Little House reader and she came back with stars in her eyes. Ella, Henny, Charlotte, Sarah, Gertie and Charlie, the sweetest little family on the Lower East Side, you did it again.
Abigail
Mar 25, 2015 Abigail rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book gave everyone a perfect view of what growing up Jewish a long time ago. really adorable children that grow up in this really adorable world. what's not to love? I highly recommend this book. Thanks for taking the time to read my review.
Michelle
Jul 28, 2014 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful! I loved the peek into daily life in a Jewish family of all girls, early 20th century NY. Charming and fun to read, with a couple of lovely plot twists toward the end. I would have recommended this book to myself around age 9-11. :)
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I read the whole series about 20 years ago and loved them. It was fun to follow the family as they moved around and as the various family members had adventures growing up.
Natalie
Mar 01, 2015 Natalie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, junior-books
Very cute and easy read. The characters are charming and it was interesting to take a peak into the life of this sweet Jewish family of the early 1900's.
Victoria
I have had this on my to-read list for a long time, but didn't really know what it was about or why it was on my to-read list. What was so timely about me reading this book is that the whole story surrounds a Jewish family at the beginning of the 1900s. My dad just took a DNA test to find out information about who his father was, as he never met him, and we found out his dad was Jewish born probably in the late teens/early 20s to a family, most likely the Yiddish speaking type that this, living ...more
What's The Name o...: Chocolate Babies- SOLVED [s] 6 89 Dec 03, 2013 05:50AM
Great Middle Grad...: All of A Kind Family American Girl Doll? 1 20 Jun 28, 2013 02:06PM
  • The Saturdays (The Melendy Family, #1)
  • Betsy-Tacy (Betsy-Tacy, #1)
  • Understood Betsy
  • The Moffats (The Moffats, #1)
  • Katie John
  • Dancing Shoes (Shoes, #9)
  • The Good Master
  • The Cabin Faced West
Taylor was born on October 31, 1904 on New York City's Lower East Side. Her Jewish immigrant family lived in poverty conditions, but they felt great respect and appreciation for the country that gave them hope and opportunities for the future. This childhood led Taylor eventually into writing.

Taylor started working as a secretary after she graduated from high school, married her husband, and spen
More about Sydney Taylor...

All-of-a-Kind Family (5 books)
  • More All-of-a-Kind Family (All-of-a-Kind Family, #3)
  • All-of-a-Kind Family Uptown (All-of-a-Kind Family, #4)
  • All-of-a-Kind Family Downtown (All-of-a-Kind Family, #2)
  • Ella of All-of-a-Kind Family (All-of-a-Kind Family, #5)