Father's Arcane Daughter

Father's Arcane Daughter

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  447 ratings  ·  62 reviews
POOR LITTLE RICH BOY Winston Carmichael has it all: a big house, servants, vacations in Palm Beach and a fancy private school. But with over protective parents and a sense of responsibility for his younger sister, Heidi, Winston sometimes feels more as if he's living in a prison than a dream.

Then, one day, a woman appears at the front door claiming to be Caroline -- Winsto...more
Published June 1st 1999 by Aladdin Paperbacks (first published 1976)

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerThe Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim EdwardsThe Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy TanThe Kitchen God's Wife by Amy TanThe French Lieutenant's Woman by John Fowles
The Female Relative Phenomenon
69th out of 218 books — 87 voters
Winnie-the-Pooh by A.A. MilneCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteHarry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
Initial Success
84th out of 292 books — 28 voters

More lists with this book...

Monica!
I’d never heard of this book until someone on a blog somewhere listed the first line as being one of their favorites ever:

Later—much, much later—when we both knew what we had bought and what it had cost, she said that I should tell it.

And while I adore EL Konigsburg with the pieces of my broken heart, this is a bizarre story. I understand why I’d never heard of it—and why it has subsequently gone out of print. Not that it necessarily should be out of print, but I spent the whole time going, “Wha...more
Onysha

Konigsburg is one of my author-heroines. The thought of her passing still saddens me.

The Konigsburg is a capital author. Her sensory descriptions don't just make you feel or see something in your head, it also makes you feel the emotions that come with the sights/sounds/feelings/tastes/smells. Her writing is clever, witty, funny, and insightful. It's rare to read YA books, especially ALA-favourited ones, that treat the reader as an intelligent being who knows how to use a dictionary an...more
Keturah
Not going to lie, I discovered this through the Hallmark Hall of Fame movie "Caroline?" which was based on this book. I had seen the movie years ago when it first aired and I was young. And the mysterious story had stuck with me through the years. So I recently re-watched the movie and enjoyed it again. In the credits, I saw it was based on this book written by E.L. Konigsburg. So I read the book. And surprisingly, the book and the movie do not differ much. The book is better, because the writin...more
Jessica
A gem of a book about a family that's wonderful on the surface, and deeply flawed within. Their shallow, pretty lives will never be the same when Caroline, their father's daughter from his previous marriage, shows up years after being kidnapped and declared dead. Is she Caroline, or is she an imposter after the family fortune? What she mostly seems interested in is helping her two half-siblings break free of their mother's smothering influence. Lovely, funny, sad and full of twists.
Maria
Oct 22, 2007 Maria added it
You know, I did read this, but I have no recollection whatsoever.
Lissa Notreallywolf
I gave this a very high rating awhile back and did not bother to explain myself. It remains one of my favorite books of all time because the arcane daughter explains to the brother that he will not be able to reach his his highest goal if his disabled sister is not enabled to reach hers. The sister appears to be partially disabled by birth:hearing an, speech and coordination issues, but her condition is exacerbated by neglect. The "arcane daughter" appears and has her assessed by a specialist, a...more
Claire Scott
Ryan
I always feel like I'm eating a rich, savory dish with some lovely, complicated sauce when I read Konigsburg. There is a sense of balance to the words, the thoughts, and the plot and characters don't assault the senses. You have to eat slowly, even though its a short book.

In this story, Winston's tightly regulated and privileged world is unwound when his half-sister suddenly appears after years. Caroline is a breath of fresh air, though, and both Winston and his younger sister, Hillary (aka Heid...more
Allison
I'm a fan of E.L. Konigsburg and often cite "From the Mixed-Up Files" as one of the most influential books of my childhood.
Unfamiliar with this title, I found this story transporting me back to one of my earliest television memories--the 1974 kidnapping of Patricia Hearst. ("Father's Arcane Daughter was originally published in 1976 so the kidnapping of an heiress would have been a timely plot line and in fact the book was the basis of an Emmy-winning Hallmark Hall of Fame movie).
This story cont...more
Katie Fitzgerald
While, this isn't my favorite Konigsburg book, it's the only one I've read so far in this little exercise that gave me a little thrill of excitement when I reached the ending. It takes a strange turn in the last 30 pages or so, which I think keeps it from achieving the greatness of Konigsburg's more famous novels, but it was still quite good. I also think, even though the book is dated, kids might be more accepting of it, because it is intended to take place during a very specific year, which is...more
Stacy
For some reason, this YA novel by E.L. Konigsburg was totally unknown to me until my husband sent me a link with some of the more interesting pieces written for kids over the years.

Winston Carmichael is the younger brother of the long lost Caroline Carmichael, who reappears years after being kidnapped. Is she the real Caroline or an imposter? Regardless of her story or whether or not she is who she says she is, Caroline becomes a lifeline and system of support to Winston and his younger sister,...more
Marissa Morrison
Among all the crap on T.V. that I watched as a kid, there was a memorable, poignant Hallmark Hall of Fame movie based on this book. Set in Pittsburgh, the story highlights empathy and connectedness.
Keilani Ludlow
Like "Silent to the Bone" and "George, this is one of her books that are more about the twist than the quirk. When Winston's long-lost, presumed to be dead, half sister shows up at their front door, life will never be the same.

This books plays with your head. Is she legit? Is she who she claims to be? As she befriends her siblings and begins to change their lives, the reader bites their lip in nervousness a bit because it could be so good or so bad in the long run.

The twist at the end is not en...more
Jamie
Wasn't sure I liked this in the beginning, but it wrapped up nicely and had a good lesson without coming across as preachy. Will definitely recommend it to kids (and adults!).
Kelley
I remember seeing the Hallmark Hall of Fame movie based on this book and that I always wanted to read it. Stephanie Zimbalist played Caroline. I didn't really remember the details or that it took place in Pittsburgh. I was very familiar with the landmarks/locales in the story which always adds appeal. I was glad i took the time to read it finally. I won't spoil it by revealing the twist but I did recall the main idea of it. I was interested to see what the reasoning behid it was and what the out...more
Rhonda
A terrific mystery which may be out of print. The Hallmark movie "Caroline" is based on it. Don't want to give away any plot points, but this is definitely a book that stays with you long after you put it down.
Megan
a beautifully crafted story
Lisa the Librarian
Jul 16, 2009 Lisa the Librarian rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Lisa by: I'm a fan of the author
The word "arcane" from the title means "known or understood by very few; mysterious"

The way that this story unfolds is interesting. It takes the word "arcane" and runs with it. As you read you find yourself wondering what exactly is going on with this family because rather than telling you many of the details it just gives little hints through the first 90% of the book then bigger hints and finally pretty full explainations.

I enjoyed it, but it is not my favorite by this accomplished author
Lynn
Feb 13, 2014 Lynn added it
Shelves: childrens
Why was this book re-titled?

If you don't know what a word means, look it up. That's what dictionaries are for. Was Ms. Konigsburg consulted before the retitling (before her death)?

The production of this book by Hallmark Hall of Fame (as Caroline?) made me find a copy and read it. I was not disappointed. But then I have yet to be disappointed by any of Ms. Konigsburg's work.

Publishers, please go back to the original title. I am so glad MY copy has it.
Lee
I read this as kid because I was attracted to the mysterious title, Father's Arcane Daughter. I guess the current attitude is that kids will reject what they don't understand, because they changed the title, which is now lame. And really the whole book is very out of time; the parameters for middle grade books are completely different now. I enjoyed the mystery and the truly adult story that I'm sure went over my head when I was 8-12 years old and the intended audience.
Amy
Jan 13, 2013 Amy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: middle school and older
Joseph is reading for his "mystery" book assignment. I read this years ago and enjoyed it even more this time than the first time. I finished it and started flipping forward again to locate more of the clues.
Joseph is enjoying it and trying to guess whether or not Caroline is the original and authentic kidnapped
daughter, now returned at age 35.
Some wonderful, ethical questions arise and I look forward to some decent discussion after my son finishes the book, too.
girl writing
I first read this when I was very young and am not sure I understood it but it stayed with me all these years as one of my favorites. I bought a copy several years ago and just reread it last night. Great story and the effect of having a conversation that's taking place in the future at the start of each chapter was really engrossing. This author has a great twist on everything she writes. This would be a good/quick book club read and would generate some discussion.
Jeffrey
A wow book - like Konigburg's View from Saturday, it takes a little while for this book to fall into place but when it does oh my my! Tackling issues as diverse as class privilege and ability, Konigsburg's story of the complicated relationships between brothers and sisters is stunning. And how can you not adore a writer who uses the classic French film, Secret Games, in a book for pre-teen readers - this book was a real surprise - and a wonderfully insightful one at that!
Elisabeth
My favorite things about this book: The copy I read is old and kind of ugly - but something I know I would have gravitated to in our neighborhood bookmobile. I felt nostalgic about it from the beginning. It is by E.L. Konigsburg and I hadn't read it yet. The main character is laugh aloud funny. Full of wonderful language gems and well plotted twists. This would make a really interesting movie if you kept to the time period and fleshed it out a little.
Sharon
This was really a 3.5, and I'd love to give it a 4. But I overuse the 4, and while intriguing, this is just too slight to get more. If you call it a novella instead of a novel, it stands up a little better, but even then, there are some interesting themes and a lot more room to explore them than was used.

Still, it was clever, kept me guessing, and I liked the characters and the ending very much.
Ann Moody
I really loved this story! But I am giving it only 4 stars, because I think it is really for an adult audience, and I can't imagine modern preteens taking to it. For a middle-aged lady like myself, however, it was an addictive page-turner of a mystery, and it had a satisfying, happy ending. As an adult book, it's pretty short and I was able to finish in a couple hours.
Mem Morman
Read this with some other Konigsburg when I heard of her death. It was new to me and I enjoyed it. I so like that her books can be read on two levels. The child reading the book is going to see one thing and the adult reading it is going to see more - all without spoiling the story for either. I did like the fact that the final chapter gives us a good, solid conclusion to the story.
Tory
I really liked the style of this narrative; the story is revealed in bits and pieces, present day mixed with flashbacks told as "comic strips." Really interesting questions about ability versus disability, and complex questions about the essence of truth. Can a lie be told for a good enough reason that it becomes a better truth than reality?
Ellen
This book reminded me oddly of The Westing Game.

I enjoyed this book, but it felt rushed. The story would have been better served had it not been squished into a 115-page young adult novel. (On the other hand, I might not have read it had it not been squished into a 115-page young adult novel.)
Melissa
Very different from Konigsburg's other books, and it really struck me as an adult novella, rather than a young adult novel. Though my memories of the tv movie are dim, it all seemed to match up quite nicely in my head. A fun read, but not anywhere near the level of Konigsburg's best work.
  • The Moves Make the Man
  • To Destroy You is No Loss: The Odyssey of a Cambodian Family
  • Traitor: The Case of Benedict Arnold
  • Water Sky
  • The Contender
  • The Ides of April (Roman Empire Sequence, #2)
  • All the Small Poems and Fourteen More
  • The Little Riders
  • The New Nation (History of Us) Vol. 4
  • The Tattooed Potato and Other Clues
  • Village of Round and Square Houses
Elaine Lobl Konigsburg was an American author and illustrator of children's books and young adult fiction. She was the only author to win the Newbery Medal and a Newbery Honor in the same year (1968), with her second and first books respectively: From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler and Jennifer, Hecate, Macbeth, William McKinley, and Me, Elizabeth. Kongisburg won a second Newbery...more
More about E.L. Konigsburg...
From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler The View from Saturday Silent to the Bone The Outcasts of 19 Schuyler Place Jennifer, Hecate, Macbeth, William McKinley and Me, Elizabeth