On Doctoring: Stories, Poems, Essays

On Doctoring: Stories, Poems, Essays

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  92 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Few subjects hold more universal appeal than that of medicine, and surely few books have evoked medicine's drama and magic more powerfully than "On Doctoring." In its many forms, from age-old ritual to the cutting edge of modern science, medicine concerns us all. It is a human profession, practiced by people who have dedicated their lives not only to science but also to hu...more
Hardcover, Third Edition, 414 pages
Published August 7th 2001 by Free Press

To ask other readers questions about On Doctoring, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Doctoring

David
Oct 07, 2008 David rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone, especially medical or nursing students.
Shelves: collections
I'm particularly enjoying this. Because of it's nature, as a collection of smaller works, it's a great book for me to read when I need a break from my studies, and it helps to remind me about the things that made me interested in medicine in the first place: the people I'll be serving. Some of my favorite authors and poets are included.
Ariana
A collection of poems, short stories, and nonfiction experiences with sickness, death, and medicine. I really enjoy reading about how others deal with medical problems and how they perceive their doctors and nurses.
Christine
Inspirationals stories and poetry. Particularly inspiring for medical students, but the focus on the beauty and fragility of human life should make it of interest to any and all readers. I highly recommend it.
Shokoufeh
I had so much fun reading this book out loud with friends over a few weeks. It inspired me to write poetry too.
Corynn
Assigned coursework.
Remember, even Jorge Luis Borges saw beautiful things through his blindness. We're blessed he lived to write about it too.
Jalendhari Tabeeb
Jalendhari Tabeeb marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Jennifer Varnadore
Jennifer Varnadore marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
R.f.k
R.f.k marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Alice
Alice is currently reading it
Sep 10, 2014
Dufie
Dufie added it
Aug 22, 2014
Lo Sho
Lo Sho marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Sang Ik
Sang Ik marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Stephanie Allen
Stephanie Allen marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Jonathan Ryder
Jonathan Ryder marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Husseen Hudairi
Husseen Hudairi marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Sivaram
Sivaram marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Carol Rose Stark Neal
Carol Rose Stark Neal is currently reading it
Jul 05, 2014
Sarah Zorko
Sarah Zorko marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Erin
Erin added it
Jun 21, 2014
Alexander L.
Alexander L. marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
On Guerrilla Gardening: The Why, What, and How of Cultivating Neglected Public Space Super Heroes: A Modern Mythology Texas Then & Now: Text And Contemporary Rephotography  The Best of Mother Jones Texas Impressions