Start by marking “Love in the Time of Taffeta” as Want to Read:
Love in the Time of Taffeta

Love in the Time of Taffeta

Go back to prom and watch bumbling, lovable Iley Gilbert try to get it right this time around in Eugénie Olson's endearing story of love, bad behavior, and sequins.

At age 30, Iley Gilbert is thoroughly sick of trying to make it in the photo biz, and disenchanted after putting in stints at a Boston–area newspaper, a photography gallery, and even a pathetic frame shop. When
Published March 28th 2006 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Love in the Time of Taffeta, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love in the Time of Taffeta

Bess
Sep 09, 2007 Bess rated it really liked it
They should put retro covers on mass-market romance novels more often, because that was the ONLY reason I picked this one up, and I was pleasantly surprised by how often I found myself laughing out loud and not wanting it to end.

Perhaps there's a whole genre now for "smart" chick lit, and if so, this should be its spokesperson: romances for intellectual, real gals who just want to put away their biochem homework and knitting for a minute to take out their Lisa Loeb glasses and enjoy a really fu
Shelley
Feb 24, 2011 Shelley rated it really liked it
I liked this book. I felt the character of Iley was well done and I could relate to a lot of her issues. Who among us hasn't felt like we aren't going anywhere in our career path? Who hasn't had that feeling of "How the hell did I get here from all those dreams I had for myself?" I also feel that Iley's decisions around her trysts with William were understandable. People make those kinds of ill advised decisions constantly. Love and/or lust makes you do stupid, stupid things.

On the negative sid
Kate SouthernBelleSimple
Oct 20, 2008 Kate SouthernBelleSimple rated it liked it
Recommends it for: girlfriends, artsy-types, non-prudes
I enjoyed this book so much. It was pretty light, but smart and it felt fresh. Like other reviewers, the cover is what drew me in, but it really has nothing to do with anything in the book, nor does the title. It is almost like this cover got the wrong pages put inside it. This is not a criticism exactly, but it is kind of odd. It was a fast read for me but I needed it because I was having a book slump. I can't move from one major literary work to another. I have to fill in the gaps with easier ...more
Patricia
Feb 03, 2008 Patricia rated it liked it
After finishing The Mitfords: letters between six sisters, I needed something light. This fit the bill. Partway through, I found myself in familiar territory. The main character:

* Lives in Boston
* Rides a bike
* Has a dead-end job
* Smokes
* Makes poor choices in men
* Is generally unhappy.

It was as if the author knew me when I lived in Boston.
Aside from the strange sense of deja vu, I enjoyed this book, particularly the main character's roommate and her "secret" career.
Angela Johnson
Jun 02, 2011 Angela Johnson rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Don't judge a book by the cover! From this cover (and even the back description), I assumed the book would take place sometime around the 1950s. I was very much mistaken. This is a very modern book that deals with morals and bad decisions. I found it an easy read full of great material. The writer has a very dry sense of humor which I also enjoyed.
Aug 09, 2011 Jennifer added it
Shelves: chick-lit
I picked this up as a random chick-lit find at a library discard sale and ended up really enjoying it! Alternately sarcastic and sweet. The main character is a photographer too so if you're into photography you'll appreciate the detailed descriptions (otherwise I have a suspicion they might get a bit tedious but I like photography so ti worked for me!) A great quick summer read (took me 2 days.)
maureen
Mar 20, 2007 maureen rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: my girls
I enjoyed this "chick lit" story about a thiry something phototagrapher trying to find her way in Boston. A little predictable, and kinda cheesy but clever at times.
And tons of Boston references that make ya smile.
Lola
Apr 21, 2011 Lola rated it really liked it
I adored this book! Picked it up for cheap on a whim and just could not put it down. I thought it was set in around the 50's because of taffeta and the cover, but as the saying goes never judge a book by it's cover! A very good story about a modern woma finding her way :)
Bree
May 29, 2010 Bree rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit
A nice break from the perfectionist heroines of most chicklit, but still the genre-required happy ending.
Abigail
Oct 21, 2008 Abigail rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
This book was a nice quick read. I found myself constantly wishing for Iley to find happiness; which surprised me. I didn’t expect to get that involved in the book.
Jamie
Jun 15, 2007 Jamie rated it really liked it
Chick lit with a dark side. I really liked that it didn't follow a lot of the cliches contemporary women's fiction clings to. Good for the plane or the beach.
Jill Giles
Jill Giles rated it it was ok
May 17, 2013
CB Davis
CB Davis rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2007
Jonicat Motoike
Jonicat Motoike rated it liked it
May 23, 2010
RM
RM rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2012
Melissa Nason
Melissa Nason rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2015
Sarah rated it liked it
Nov 24, 2010
Mary S.
Mary S. rated it it was ok
Jun 08, 2012
Lauren
May 10, 2013 Lauren added it
Compelling story about a young photographer. She finds her success in candid prom photos.
Sara Pereira
Sara Pereira rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2011
Whitney
Whitney rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2011
Ivy
Ivy rated it liked it
Dec 03, 2011
Sarah rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2009
Liralen
Liralen rated it liked it
May 15, 2011
Jess
Jess rated it it was ok
Jul 14, 2008
Samantha
Samantha rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2013
Allison
Allison rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2007
Tania
Tania rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2010
Paranoidplatypus
Paranoidplatypus rated it did not like it
Mar 16, 2012
Alanna
Alanna rated it it was ok
Mar 20, 2013
Eugénie Seifer Olson is an American-born author of three books. Raised in Verona, New Jersey, Eugénie has lived in several locations on the Eastern Seaboard including Princeton, Philadelphia and Boston. She currently lives in Somerville, Massachusetts, with her husband David, their two cats, Kiddun and Loki, and their fish, Lulu.

Eugénie's first book, Babe in Toyland released in March 2004 from Avo
More about Eugénie Seifer Olson...