Start by marking “Voyage of the Fox Rider: A Novel of Mithgar (Mithgar, #2)” as Want to Read:
Voyage of the Fox Rider: A Novel of Mithgar (Mithgar, #2)

Voyage of the Fox Rider: A Novel of Mithgar (Mithgar Series (Chronological) #2)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  886 ratings  ·  21 reviews
The Mage Alamar has never forgotten the life debt he owes to Farrix, one of the legendary Hidden Ones of Mithgar, who keep to themselves and avoid contact with ordinary humans. So when Farrix’s mate, the Lady Jinnarin, appears on Alamar’s doorstep, he fears the worst.

Months ago, Farrix vanished—and Jinnarin has been plagued by nightmares of him being in danger ever since.
Mass Market Paperback, 589 pages
Published September 1st 1994 by Roc Fantasy (first published October 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Voyage of the Fox Rider, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Voyage of the Fox Rider

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienA Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling
Five Star Fantasy Books
414th out of 1,249 books — 1,564 voters
A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le GuinHowl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne JonesCharmed Life by Diana Wynne JonesThe Lives of Christopher Chant by Diana Wynne JonesThe Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
Middle-Class Fantasy
20th out of 53 books — 34 voters

More lists with this book...

Jeff
I am a fan of Mithgar and as such I have yet to come across a Mithgar book I didn't like. Of course some are better than others and it's been a while since I read this particular book, but it is an enjoyable story and time well spent.
Destyni
I am sorry to say that I am disappointed with this book. When I picked it off the shelf of my local library, I was prepared to like it very much. I LOVED the main character Jinnarin, and the writer's style and use of words was very engaging. I loved the in-depth descriptions about the ships and the weather changes--it was like I was there, seeing it and feeling it for myself. I loved the interactions between most of the characters; they were very personable and they felt real (with an exception ...more
Alz
Jun 24, 2011 Alz rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
(Note: I've read all of the Mithgar books except City of Jade.) Voyage of the Fox Rider is definitely of the better Mithgar books, featuring an epic quest, seafaring adventures, mystery, dreams, evil machinations on a grandiose scale, and a crotchety old Mage bickering with a foot-tall lady Pysk. I first read this book quite a few years ago and quite enjoyed it; I reread it again now and still quite enjoyed it.

Readers of McKiernan's Mithgar books may roll their eyes again as this book, like most
Janet
The Voyage of the Fox Rider reminded me, and not so fondly, of the Dungeons and Dragons epic fantasy novels of the 1970s and 1980s. Granted, it's practically contemporaneous with them, since it was published in 1993. But there's a reason I donated the D&D novels years ago - the conventions of speaking are so unrealistic that they come off as painfully self aware, and the characters are cookie-cutter stereotypes. Let's leave aside the elegant elf, warrior dwarves and such, since these Tolkien ...more
Infinityseed
I'd like to begin by telling you that I loved this book. I'd like to begin that way, but I can't. Even though I considered myself a fan of Dennis McKiernan for the past twenty-five (or so) years, I have to say that this book changed my opinion of him. I will explain myself, but first let me state for the record that there are a number of spoilers ahead. Do not continue reading my review if you think that you might possibly want to read this book because I intend to hold little to nothing back. W ...more
Paul Darcy
Written by Dennis L. McKiernan, this fantasy book is one of many set in his created world of Mithgar series. This particular tale takes place mostly on the high seas - hence the “Voyage” in the title. The Fox Riders are exactly that - riders of foxes, little mythical people, hidden ones, human like in form but very small - Ummm, small enough to ride on foxes. Oh, and they are immortal, can create shadows to hide in, and shoot bows with deadly poison that none can duplicate, etc. . . .

Starting to
K. Axel
I've read just about every book of McKiernan's, and while I like his Mithgar universe very much, this is perhaps my favorite book of them all. It has a sense of high adventure that the other books lack, and we discover both pysks, strange islands, elven ships and mages... all a part of a magical plot to save the world... or perhaps just a vanished pysk.

I admit it, I dont remember the entire story, afterall, its a big book, and at the time I read all the Mithgar books, one after the other, which
Kim Bui
This is the second McKiernan book I read, the first being the Dragonstone.

Like Dragonstone, I liked the characters a lot. Everybody seemed pretty well thought out and had very believable personalities.

Voyage of the Fox Rider is billed as a fantasy on the high seas. The problem I have with the book is that it moves awfully slowly. There were plenty of sections where my eyes glazed over and I skipped parts looking for action.

The best and worst part of the Mithgar books is that they're not a serie
lynne naranek
A sailor would appreciate the numerous and lengthy descriptions of everything to do with how one deals with a ship, winds, the lack of winds on the equator, the need to row a ship across the equator and/or the Crab... but to me, this seemed like a page-filling, book-bulking exercise.

Apart from that? The tale, while long, convoluted and relatively satisfying,,, was kinda long, convoluted and only relatively satisfying.

I am left wondering the fates of Alamar and his daughter, and whether Aylis an
Shawna
Aug 04, 2011 Shawna added it
well.. its finally finished. I cant say it took so long because I didnt enjoy it. But I can say it was not as gripping till nearly halfway through , if not more. But now I Must MUST see what happens next. Alamar must be ok.. He MUSt! Note this is my first Mckeirnan book, SO the.. so called "fan formula" this book is suppose to have does not apply to me. I Liked it, No I loved It ! Ups and downs and all. I LOVE Jinnerin and Ferrix, Aylis and Alamar.. love them all. I do so wish to know what happe ...more
Gerry
If Dragonstone didn't live up to my nostalgia, this certainly did! Good stuff--reminds me why I loved McKiernan.
Danai
Jun 19, 2014 Danai rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Danai by: My Father
Honestly this book took a very long time to actually begin with something other than tales of the Fox Rider's mystical transport across the ocean and I didn't finish it. However, the book began to pick up around page 120-150 and it's not too bad. For me, it had a good amount of detail which I look for in book because it builds up the story even more, but this book could spend 10 pages describing one thing.Overall I would give it 3 stars.
Steve
Annoying. There might possibly be a half-decent 300 page (or more likely a 250 page) novel hiding inside this 600 page brick. This thing definitely needed an editor. Was he paid by the word?

This is every bit as well written as Sword of Shanara, which holds the distinction of being the only book I've ever tossed into a fireplace. Unfinished. That was a long time ago. I'm more patient now--and I don't have a fireplace.
Amanda
This was the very first book I read of McKiernan's books. It immediately drew me in with the interesting characters. I loved the setting. It has been many years since I read this book but I remember it being a great experience that left me wanting to read more of McKiernan's books. Even my father, who primarily reads science fiction, enjoyed this book.
Megan
This is one of those books I've held on to since I was young. I remember really enjoying the dreamwalking parts, but I'd forgotten about the extraneous details about sailing the ship. I got stuck about halfway through and had to put it down for a couple months. Glad I finally finished it - it really is a pretty good story.
Chris
Ok, just a word to the wise, skip the chapters where the elves go on and on and on about marriage. I liked the imagery and the story. But wow, when Mr. McKiernan wants his races to preach about something, they really get on their soapboxes and preach.
Ike Trumbo
Dennis L. McKiernan is in my opinion a very underated author. This book is captivating, the characters are vivid, and the villain keeps you up at night. Only complaint is that it got a little slow towards the middle, but still a great book.
T.e. Bell
I first read this book when I was thirteen years old and have read it twice since then (it was the first "big" book I read). It was and still is one of my favorite books. It's true it's not perfect, but you can't expect perfection in everything.
Joyce
This is by far one of my favourite fantasy books! it's a long read, but worth every while. there's always something exciting on each page!
Oliver
Classic fantasy, but tedious. To the end it becomes a much better fare, but it feels like the novel is 200 pages too long.
Allen
McKiernan is like a more accessible Tolkien.
Bill
Bill marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Reta Pyke
Reta Pyke is currently reading it
Jun 26, 2015
Eragonbrust66
Eragonbrust66 marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Andy
Andy marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
  • Huntbrother
  • The Wizard Lord (Annals of the Chosen, #1)
  • The Resistance (The Fey, #4)
  • Cage the Darlings
  • Elfquest: Journey to Sorrows End
  • A Kingdom Lost
  • Die Zauberer (Zauberer-Trilogie, #1)
  • Saga of Old City (Greyhawk Adventures, #1)
  • The Gilded Chain (King's Blades, #1)
  • Journey Into the Void (Sovereign Stone, #3)
  • The Godmother (Godmother, #1)
  • All Shadows Fled (Forgotten Realms: Shadow of the Avatar, #3)
McKiernan was born in Moberly, Missouri, where he lived until he served the U.S. Air Force for four years, stationed within US territory during the Korean War. After military service, he attended the University of Missouri and received a B.S. in electrical engineering in 1958 and an M.S. in the same field from Duke University in 1964. He worked as an engineer at AT&T, initially at Western Elec ...more
More about Dennis L. McKiernan...

Mithgar Series (Chronological) (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Dragonstone (Mithgar, #1)
  • Into the Forge (Mithgar, #3; Hèl's Crucible, #1)
  • Into the Fire  (Mithgar, #4; Hèl's Crucible, #2)
  • Dragondoom (Mithgar, #5)
  • Stolen Crown (Mithgar, #6)
  • Tales from the One-Eyed Crow: The Vulgmaster (Mithgar, #7)
  • Tales of Mithgar (Mithgar, #8)
  • The Dark Tide (Mithgar, #9; Iron Tower Trilogy, #1)
  • Shadows of Doom (Mithgar, #10; Iron Tower Trilogy, #2)
  • The Darkest Day (Mithgar, #11; Iron Tower Trilogy, #3)
Once Upon a Winter's Night (Faery Series, #1) The Darkest Day (Mithgar, #11; Iron Tower Trilogy, #3) The Dark Tide (Mithgar, #9; Iron Tower Trilogy, #1) Shadows of Doom (Mithgar, #10; Iron Tower Trilogy, #2) The Eye of the Hunter (Mithgar, #14)