Start by marking “Keep Out, Claudia! (The Baby-Sitters Club, #56)” as Want to Read:
Keep Out, Claudia! (The Baby-Sitters Club, #56)

Keep Out, Claudia! (The Baby-Sitters Club #56)

3.59  ·  Rating Details ·  1,065 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Why don't the Lowells want Claudia to sit for them? Claudia becomes the target of prejudice when the Baby-Sitters Club takes on a new client who doesn't like Claudia because she's Japanese. A serious look at discrimination and how it affects teens.
Published August 1st 1992 by Scholastic (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Keep Out, Claudia!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Keep Out, Claudia!

Ciara
Nov 20, 2010 Ciara rated it liked it
claudia is babysitting for the rodowskys. shea is practicing for his piano recital, which makes archie & jackie feel a little envious. jackie is upset because he can't seem to take any lessons & pursue any hobbies without breaking something. archie just wants attention. he says he could be a star, if only someone gave him a chance. sorry, archie. stoneybrook has reached critical mass for red-headed talented children in one rosie wilder.

archie's whining gives claudia an idea. what if the
Shira
Jun 01, 2016 Shira rated it really liked it
this is my first time reading this book!

in this SERIOUS ISSUE book, the bsc starts sitting for a new family, the lowells. the lowells are the perfect picture of aryan goodness -- you know, like the goebbelses, before their parents murdered them.

anyway, the lowells like mary anne and kristy fine but don't like claudia and jessi. claudia has apparently (according to her) never experienced racism (uhhhh...) so she has no idea why the kids are staring at her face and laughing. eventually it becomes
Samantha
Jan 31, 2012 Samantha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: all-time-favs, bsc
I am giving this one a five-star rating because it was the first BSC book I owned. To this day, I am not exactly sure how it ended up on my shelf as a child, but I am grateful that it did. :)

I remember for a while there, I only read as far as Chapter 2 and would do so over and over because I loved the way that all of the characters were described. (of course, once I read more of them, that traditional Chapter 2 intro would become rather tiresome, but I always read it anyway.) Finally one day, I
Kate
Dec 09, 2009 Kate rated it liked it
Ah, yes - the Very Special Episode about Racism, as illustrated on the cover by the token Asian juxtaposed with the three Aryan children. Of course being Asian is the only reason these people would not want Claudia to baby-sit their children - it couldn't possibly have anything to do with her schizophrenic clothing choices.
Jenn
Oct 24, 2016 Jenn rated it liked it
Shelves: bsc
In this book we finally see some of the racism in Stoneybrook that Jessi has apparently been experiencing all along. But it's not even Jessi (at first) who deals with it, it's Claudia. Why is that? Did they feel it would be too difficult to show an African American dealing with misguided bigots? I don't know. This book was okay. The little blonde kids are super creepy but hey, Claudia's cover outfit actually matches the description for once!

The story starts out with Claudia baby-sitting the Rodo
Laura Hughes
Apr 07, 2013 Laura Hughes rated it it was ok
Shelves: babysitters-club
A new client, the Lowells, are perfectly nice when Mary Anne sits, but with Claudia, the kids are terrors. Then when Jessi comes to sit, Mrs. Lowell won’t let her in the house. Kristy figures out that Mrs. Lowell is a Racist. They don’t know how they should handle Mrs. Lowell if she calls again; when she actually has the audacity to call and request the blue-eyed blond-haired baby-sitter Mary Anne mentioned, Kristy tells her they’re all busy. She doesn’t call again. Meanwhile, Claudia helps ...more
Kate
Jan 31, 2016 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The BSC gets a new client, the Lowells. The Lowells are an odd bunch, and not just because they dress preppy and are inordinately fine-mannered. Mary Anne baby-sits for them first, and they are well-behaved angels. Then when Claudia sits for them, they become cold and disrespectful. After that job, Mrs. Lowell calls again for a sitter and explicitly asks them not to hire Claudia for the job.

Claudia starts wondering what she did wrong. Was it her wild clothes? Did she seem too lax with her author
Rachel Brand
I was pleasantly surprised at the way in which Ann M. Martin tackled the topic of racism in this book. In so many other BSC books where the girls encountered a troubled child or a difficult parent, they're able to solve the problem with no outside help, but here they were forced to realise that they couldn't change someone's prejudice and had to figure out how to approach a family like the Lowells. In the end, they decide that the best thing they can do is try to set a good example for the other ...more
April
May 01, 2013 April rated it really liked it

Awesome books that girls will love! And the
Nancy
Jan 04, 2014 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rereading
In which Caludia gets the racism book instead of Jessi. HA.

I don't even know why I loved this one so much. Probably because someone finally doesn't like Caludia. Yeah, it's because they're evil racists, but hey, you take what you can get. Also, how does AMM - who I think actually wrote this one, since my ebook had no ghostwriter acknowledgement - make something as unfunny as racism so hilarious? I don't know what it was about it, but I just thought it was funny.
Jasmine Anne Victoria
Dec 07, 2014 Jasmine Anne Victoria rated it it was amazing
Shelves: domestic, favorites
This is one of my faverites BSC books. It shows themes of racism in a child friendly way. It is one of my faverite the racists arn't exactly stopped but we see some insight into way. Their is a happy end to the side plot though. It talks about how children are not born prejudice in is indrocitioned and drilled into them. It does talk about other prejudices not just racism like sexism. Must read not shown much outdateness.
Dhanya
Apr 16, 2008 Dhanya rated it it was ok
I used to be into the BSC when I was little and I loved it. When I look back on it now, I realize I could've been reading much better literature. Ann M. Martin never distinguishes between the Characters. Like Dawn and Stacey are one person.
Chapter 2 is always an ANNOYING intro chapter, and if you've read more than one book, skip it. BLEECCHH!
Sally
Aug 02, 2012 Sally rated it really liked it
Kudos to Ann M. Martin for actually writing an entire book based around racism, rather than just passing it off in a comment. Sad story - the parents grudgingly let Claudia baby-sit but next time request someone else. When Jessi turns up, they full on slam the door in her face! Rough stuff.
Angelie Mae Lacsina
Nov 23, 2014 Angelie Mae Lacsina rated it it was ok
Read it for the second time after a decade. It's the first (and only) BSC book I owned. I used to like this book back when I was in grade school, but now it just seemed boring. I guess this is a book that only children will like. (Huhu I'm no longer a kid.)
Maria Elmvang
I have to agree with Nanna here - it's really, really sad that bigotry doesn't disappear through the generations.
Carrie
Bullying

All though I liked the book. It shows a severe case of bullying.
Jessi and Claudia handled it very well.
( physical and verbal bullying)
Chrissy
Aug 11, 2012 Chrissy rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2012
I somehow missed this one back in my first reads during my kid years.
The topic of racism was handled in a sensitive kid-friendly manner.
But all the stuff about the kid band was boooooring!
Rhiannon1220
Aug 06, 2008 Rhiannon1220 rated it really liked it
This whole series is great for girls between 11-15 years old. I read every last one of them as I was growing up.
Ann
Jun 07, 2008 Ann rated it it was amazing
This is one of the only books of the series which is really good. It deals with racism even, which is odd for a children's book, but really awesome to write about.
Bunny
Nov 21, 2010 Bunny rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-10
Unlike other cookie cutter books, this one handled racism in a pretty good way. The issue wasn't resolved in a quick, easy way, where everyone learned and grew. Very nice.
Rylee
Oct 21, 2012 Rylee rated it it was amazing
Keep out Claudia is a great book and my favourite part is when the kids put on a concert and use all different instruments even home made ones! I like to be creative!
Heatherblakely
Dec 16, 2015 Heatherblakely rated it it was amazing
I was naive of my brownness as a child, so this was my first exposure to racism, and I was appalled.
Laura rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2012
Isabel Vance
Isabel Vance rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2013
Lily
Lily rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2011
Blanca
Blanca rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2009
Helen
Helen rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2009
Sarah Macander
Sarah Macander rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2012
bekah
bekah rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2011
Erica
Erica rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2014
The Worst Bestsel...: Episode 53 - Babysitter's Club 4 21 Dec 09, 2016 09:46PM
  • Psychic Sisters (Sweet Valley Twins, #70)
  • Starlight Christmas (Saddle Club, #13)
  • Peer Pressure (Girl Talk, #9)

More about Ann M. Martin...

The Baby-Sitters Club (1 - 10 of 132 books)
  • Kristy's Great Idea (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1)
  • Claudia and the Phantom Phone Calls (The Baby-sitters Club, #2)
  • The Truth About Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #3)
  • Mary Anne Saves the Day (The Baby-Sitters Club, #4)
  • Dawn and the Impossible Three (The Baby-Sitters Club, #5)
  • Kristy's Big Day (The Baby-Sitters Club, #6)
  • Claudia and Mean Janine (The Baby-Sitters Club, #7)
  • Boy-Crazy Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #8)
  • The Ghost at Dawn's House (The Baby-Sitters Club, #9)
  • Logan Likes Mary Anne! (The Baby-Sitters Club, #10)