Don't Give Up, Mallory (The Baby-Sitters Club, #108)

Don't Give Up, Mallory (The Baby-Sitters Club #108)

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  220 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Mallory is delighted when the subject of the new Short Takes class turns out to be children's literature, but she is bitterly disappointed by the new young teacher, Mr. Cobb, who unintentionally favors the boys in the class, until Mallory decides to stand up for her rights.
Published May 1st 1997 by Apple

To ask other readers questions about Don't Give Up, Mallory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Give Up, Mallory

Ciara
this book is so fucked up. but maybe that's why i liked it. it's rare that a babysitters club book actually makes me get angry along with the characters.

so mallory is excited because she is beginning a new short takes class about children's books. as we all know, mallory aspires to one day write & illustrate children's books, so this is right up her alley. her teacher is mr. cobb, a foxy new young dude who just graduated from princeton. i am pretty sure that they just recycled the model who...more
Laura Hughes
Mallory is thrilled to be taking a "Short Takes" class in children’s literature, her favorite topic, but to her surprise, the class quickly becomes her least favorite. The class is 100% in-class discussion and participation, and the teacher, a coach, doesn’t call on her, even though she raises her hand for most of the class. When she finally does get a chance to talk, he doesn’t give her time to think, and she sounds stupid. She theorizes that he is much more lenient with the boys. Meanwhile, sh...more
April

Awesome books that girls will love! And the...more
Claire
...again, I got really frustrated by, um, everyone. Although I did like that the sexist teacher both admitted his faults and started changing his ways. And the sub-plot where Mallory taught her friend that it was better to be herself instead of changing so boys would like her was nice. Mostly I think I shouldn't read 90s YA of this ilk while I'm cranky, though.
Nicky
Kudos to Ann M. Martin for tackling sexism in schools, however I think the depiction was oversimplified and resolved a little too easily. It did do a good job of demonstrating that sexist people aren't always aggressive or obvious in their sexism, though.
Nancy
In which Mel-ry has to deal with a teacher who favors boys, and we, the readers, learn about sexism and why it's wrong to dumb yourself down for boys. Not bad, actually. But Mal still sucks.
Amy Holcomb
The Baby-sitters Club series was my favorite growing up! :)
Sarah Phalen
Sarah Phalen marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Valentia Ann Queen
Valentia Ann Queen marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Hillary
Hillary marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Alice
Alice added it
Aug 26, 2014
Kellie
Kellie marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Marisol
Marisol marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Yesenia Tenorio
Yesenia Tenorio marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Abby Mercado
Abby Mercado marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Esfiliya Asimionese
Esfiliya Asimionese marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Jul 11, 2014
Gwen
Gwen added it
Jul 02, 2014
  • Jessica's Bad Idea (Sweet Valley Twins and Friends, #31)
  • Weird But True: 300 Outrageous Facts
  • Two Miserable Presidents: Everything Your Schoolbooks Didn't Tell You About the Civil War
  • Science: A Discovery in Comics
  • The Darkest Dream (W.I.T.C.H. Chapter Books, #17)
  • Enter the Earth
  • Fashion Kitty

Ann gets the ideas for her books from many different places. Some are based on personal experiences, while others are based on childhood me...more
More about Ann M. Martin...
Kristy's Great Idea (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1) A Dog's Life: The Autobiography of a Stray A Corner of the Universe The Doll People (Doll People, #1) The Truth About Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #3)