Start by marking “Just a Summer Romance” as Want to Read:
Just a Summer Romance

Just a Summer Romance

The author of the blockbuster series The Babysitters Club, pens a poignant novel about the joys and pains of first love. Set on Fire Island, this moving story reveals the difficulty a young girl has when a summer romance is sparked between her and a boy who is a teen heartthrob.
Published June 1st 1994 by Scholastic (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Just a Summer Romance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just a Summer Romance

Mkunde
Dec 05, 2008 Mkunde rated it really liked it
I used to read this book exactly twice a year between 6th and 8th grade. It was really quite good.
Amanda Hill
Jul 25, 2013 Amanda Hill rated it it was amazing
I specifically remember this being the first "romance" I ever read! I was in the 7th grade. I bet I checked this book out of the library a dozen times that year :)

Before this I had only been interested in R.L Stine's Fear Street & The Babysitters Club.

This book holds a lot of nostalgia for me! I recently ordered it for my home library. It makes my heart smile. It reminds me of coming of age and first loves. Junior High and giggling best friends.
Melissa
Mar 22, 2014 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've always liked this book! It's a cute story and an easy read.
Kelly Z!(:
Amanda
Jan 12, 2011 Amanda rated it really liked it
In this book a girl, Lacey, meets a boy on the beach. Well, she more like stalks him. When Lacey is sitting outside of the boys house, in the sand dunes, he spies her, creeping on him. When he asks what she is doing he finally finds that he likes her. Their love grows strong threw the summer, but they can't a relationship past the summer, they live too far away. When they go home the boy has a secret and everyone knows but Lacey....

What I loved about this book is right from the start it gave you
Mallori
Written by the same woman who wrote the Babysitter's Club, this is a nice and sweet book. However, this is not a YA book that would really be enjoyed by adults. While the main characters are a Freshman and Sophomore in high school, the sentence structure and prose of the book are very simple, making it seem more appropriate for Middle Grade readers.
This felt very light, lacking depth or urgency. But then, while it was a quick read, I felt it ended abruptly. I wanted a few more chapters or a seq
Victoria Wehr
May 26, 2014 Victoria Wehr rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet story

this story had a sweet and memorable storyline and ended off perfectly I loved it ! ! ! ! !
Emmy
Jul 04, 2014 Emmy rated it really liked it
Shelves: stand-alone, sweet, own-it
3.5, Sweet, innocent love story, would have loved it when I was a teen.
Cerridwen Nicneven
Feb 01, 2014 Cerridwen Nicneven rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
I adore this book. I’ve read it about 50 times since I was 11. It’s about a girl Melanie Braderman who meets the gorgeous Justin Hart on Fire Island the summer before high school. They date for the duration of the summer. Shortly after she gets home she finds his face on the cover of People Magazine and is determined to find out just who was she dating. It is pretty corny for certain but it was written in 1987 so that’s expected. It’s an easy read and a good book to kick start summer reading.
Jennifer Shanahan
Oct 29, 2014 Jennifer Shanahan rated it liked it
Cute book but it would have been better in the first person.
Wanda N.
Oct 04, 2012 Wanda N. rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with this book. It filled me with surprises and the unexpected! It's one of those book that turns in to a movie in your mind! Your imagination grows once you begin reading the book! It amused me with detail and romance. There's a surprise in the story that you never expected, a twist of curiosity. I really recommend this book!
Ruth
Feb 12, 2008 Ruth rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
Pretty cheesy preteen stuff. A normal girl meets a soon-to-be-teen-idol cutie and has a summer rated-G romance. Boy does not want to continue relationship, because he knows, come fall, he will have access to countless teen babes. Sounds like a nice guy. She takes him back in the end anyhow.
Teresa
Aug 07, 2011 Teresa rated it liked it
It was cute for the occasional read. It wasn't really worth all I went through to find it, though. It moves too quickly, and there is some things that weren't even relevent to the story. The writing is simple, but some of the banter between characters is funny. 3 stars.
Christina
Apr 03, 2010 Christina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3, young-adult
very predictable, a quick short read. Interesting enough; I would recommend to young teens who like a typical freshman romance story.
Chelsea pickett
Aug 05, 2007 Chelsea pickett rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone!!!
Shelves: favorites
Summer romances arent always just a fling, they stick with you, sometimes its positive. other times negative, but either way you learn
Sara K.
Jul 10, 2007 Sara K. rated it liked it
Recommends it for: peop;e who love romance like me
This book is not what i expected but it is so good. Its sad in the middle but it is a great ending.
cubbie
Jul 30, 2008 cubbie rated it liked it
nice and fluffy! not as weirdly offensive as some of her early books.
Kristy
Jun 30, 2013 Kristy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
80s YA books make me laugh.

Lynn
Apr 09, 2009 Lynn rated it it was amazing
I couldnt put it down. Enough said.
Selina
Sep 13, 2011 Selina rated it it was amazing
this book was great all around.
Judith W. Austin
Judith W. Austin marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Candice
Candice marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
Lynn Demsky
Lynn Demsky marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Kailyn Bettle
Kailyn Bettle marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Micki
Micki added it
Jun 19, 2016
Alexxa
Alexxa rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2016
What's The Name o...: boy meets girl /boy is on a tv show [s] 8 40 May 11, 2013 05:46AM
  • Summer of Secrets
  • Reaching Through Time
  • Inevitable
  • Letters in the Attic
  • Echoes
  • Shadow Girl (The Nightmare Room, #8)
  • At the Edge (Psychic Triplet Trilogy, #1)
  • Terror on Troll Mountain (Shivers, #8)
  • Baby, It's Cold Outside
  • The Boys of Summer
  • Not Another Blind Date...
  • Soul Restoration: Hope for the Weary
  • The Stranger
  • Cat in the Mirror

More about Ann M. Martin...