Start by marking “The Carpenters: The Untold Story : An Authorized Biography” as Want to Read:
The Carpenters: The Untold Story : An Authorized Biography

The Carpenters: The Untold Story : An Authorized Biography

The first biography of the Carpenters to reveal the truth behind their public image and the consequences of the stardom that contributed to Karen's tragic death in 1983, told by an acclaimed biographer and friend of Karen and Richard.
Published April 28th 1995 by Perennial (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Carpenters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Carpenters

Oct 01, 2007 Greg rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: becca
This was a sad read. Such talent and such a waste.
Dec 18, 2013 Lia rated it it was amazing
Super duper good biography!
Moira Buttimer
Oct 10, 2013 Moira Buttimer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reading-again
I've read it so many times I can pretty much pick it up anywhere and read.
Jun 02, 2012 Laura rated it liked it
I grabbed this not knowing much about the Carpenters besides what I saw in a documentary made with Barbies. I don't really like their music at all, but Karen's story is so sad. This book is a bit weird though because it is written by a British guy, and if you read the intro, you find out that Richard had a lot of input in it. So the accuracy of portrayal is kind of iffy in my opinion, even in the first couple of pages it makes him look like a hero when he had his own demons which are vaguely tou ...more
Jim Barber
It's been more than 30 years since Karen Carpenter died of anorexia, so you pretty much know what to expect when you read an authorized bio of The Carpenters. Still, it seems like such a waste of life. The author pretty much sums up my take on the book in his afterword: "The pendulum of this story swung between glory and darkness, rich creativity and human despair." Their music may have been incredible but there's no escaping the sadness in this story.
Nov 17, 2011 Melee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir-bio
The book opened with information on anorexia and then moved on to Karen's death. I was afraid it would only get more depressing from then on, but it was actually very good! Saddening, yes. But only in parts and not overwhelmingly so. It was informative, but not so much that I will never be able to listen to the Carpenters again. ;)
Jul 24, 2014 Cathy rated it liked it
A well written biography that offers insight into the lives of Richard and Karen Carpenter. A decent read for any fan that tells the good and some of the bad ( Although I definitely think that Richard had much control over what made it in and what didn't) Any fan of their music will find this insightful and interesting, nonetheless.
Aug 16, 2007 Shawne rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Carpenters fans
Shelves: non-fiction
Miserably depressing. But then again, so was Karen's life. But a good, no-holds-barred insight into the wreckage of two lives post-fame - the damaging downward spirals of anoxeria and drug addiction, leading to the loss of one of the loveliest voices the world has ever known and probably doesn't deserve.
Mar 07, 2013 Kathy added it
Shelves: bio-auto-bio
What a tragedy. It's hard for me to comprehend that this can really happen even though I know that it does. This lady had such a rich beautiful voice. I wonder how her music would have evolved with the changing times.
Rick Henry
Jan 23, 2014 Rick Henry rated it it was amazing
I love this book. This is my go to book for Carpenters information. I have been using this as a reference for almost 20 years now. Ray Coleman is a thorough and professional author. I highly recommend this book.
Carol Drufke-Zeller
Dec 22, 2008 Carol Drufke-Zeller rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Carol by: can't remember
Very well written. This book really draws you in and you feel as if you are in the lives of this brother and sister. Brought a lot to light, very insightful.
Rob Hermanowski
A good biography of the tragic story of Karen (and brother Richard) Carpenter. Personal trivia: she died on my sister Kim's 13th birthday - Feb. 4, 1983.
Back in the day, before 'little girl blue' came out this was pretty much the only book on the carpenters. It's very PC but a valuable resource, being the first cab off the rank.
Sep 09, 2011 Charis rated it liked it
I always loved the music of the Carpenters...I read this many years ago and I find it sad that she died so young.
Alexis rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2010
Glenn rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2013
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2012
Karen rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2012
Dawn rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2016
Spencer rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2012
Dec 03, 2011 Brigette rated it really liked it
Their singing is enchanting, and her death an utter tragedy.
**ladybug** rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2009
angie rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2016
Nienke rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2013
Apr 21, 2014 Nikko rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
i reread it like a hundred times n i was not even bored..
Mrs. Holaday-stewart
Mrs. Holaday-stewart rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2008
Fiona rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2011
Cheryle rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2011
Angela rated it really liked it
May 10, 2012