Start by marking “Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3)” as Want to Read:
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3)

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter #3)

4.52  ·  Rating Details ·  1,935,045 Ratings  ·  35,187 Reviews
During his third year at Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry, Harry Potter must confront the devious and dangerous wizard responsible for his parents' deaths.
Published September 1st 2001 by Perfection Learning (first published July 8th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Cmarks14
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Inge
This is a Weasley appreciation post.

Zoë
Jun 09, 2012 Zoë rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Don't let the muggles get you down.”
Yup yup yup I love this book.
Raeleen Lemay
Jun 26, 2010 Raeleen Lemay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, own
re-read in February 2016
Harry is getting his sass on. I love it.

Re-Read in December 2014 for Harry Christmas to You

OH MAN. THIS BOOK IS SO MY FAVORITE.

The phone conversation at the beginning between Ron and Uncle Vernon was PRICELESS. I wish so much that that scene had been in the movie.

I was so into reading this book that I failed to take notes, so I don't have many specifics to add except that I love how Crookshanks was basically Sirius's secret agent spy cat friend and I LOVE THAT.

Also, this
Khanh (the meanie)

I last read this book when I was 14 years old, given that I'm almost 32 now, I have a whole new perspective on it. Despite the fact that I gave this book 5 stars previously, I have to admit that it didn't grow on me until this, my second read.

Confession time: I didn't like Remus or Sirius.

*Khanh ducks as rotten fruit and eggs are thrown her way*

OK, OK, I'M SORRY! I've since changed my mind! Notice that I used the past tense.

Obviously, there will be spoilers for the book below, for the 1.5 of yo
Wil Wheaton
Jul 05, 2014 Wil Wheaton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I'm beginning to wonder if there will ever be a Defence Against The Dark Arts teacher who is just a teacher.
Katerina
Feb 21, 2011 Katerina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
It's a rainy Sunday. It's colder than it should be this time of the year, so I'm drinking a delicious cup of coffee and I'm browsing my Goodreads shelves only to realise that I haven't written a Harry Potter review. Not a single one. So, I decided to start with the first Harry Potter book I ever read, the one that took me to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and made me believe that magic is something tangible.
“I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.”

I was 16 years old, and I ha
Chris
Jan 31, 2008 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, harry-potter
Since pretty much everyone I know has read these books, I figure reviewing them is pretty pointless. But with the new book coming out in a couple of weeks, I have to go through them beginning to end. To make the reviews more entertaining, I will be doing them in a variety of unexpected formats. For this review, I will be writing as Crookshanks fan fiction.

Crookshanks swished his tail back and forth as he crept up the stairs to the boys' bedrooms. He knew the rat wasn't what it was pretending to
Navessa
Mar 13, 2013 Navessa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Still five stars. Love this so much. Can't review. Couldn't even take notes. Watched the movie immediately after finishing. Need next book. Wish I lived in this world. Damn you, Rowling.

Kai
“Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

When I finished Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban for the first time, it immediately became my next favourite book. J. K. Rowling outdid herself, and wrote something even bigger and better than before. And she'll keep doing it for another 4 books.

There's just nothing to criticise about book 3. Compared to the other books there's not a single scene that makes me uncomfortable, that I'd prefer
Saniya
Oct 24, 2011 Saniya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Of-course, this book was EPIC! =D
Its Harry Potter now. It has to be epic! *Rolling eyes but smiling widely* xD

Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)
OKAY. This book was fantastic! I can't get over how everything just fell into place perfectly. Prisoner of Azkaban is my favorite of the series so far which is actually a surprise since Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban was my least favorite movie growing up.

But reading and watching the movie truly is a different experience. Even though I've seen the movies repeatedly year after year, I was still on my toes while I was turning the pages of my book. It was like I was seeing all of this for
Brina
Feb 21, 2016 Brina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rereads, j-k-rowling
Harry Potter for me is like warm apple pie and vanilla ice cream. It is the ultimate comfort read. This must have been at least the 10th time I've read it but I have lost track. The theme I can take out of this particular book especially after reading it all these times is hope. Harry largely naive for most of the first three books, meets Sirius for the first time and his world changes. For ever so briefly he thinks he can leave the Dursleys for good and live entirely in the wizarding world. Of ...more
Kiki
Mar 16, 2011 Kiki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Literally one of the best books I've ever read. I was chained to it for two days. I cried and laughed and yelled SHIT when all of the action went down.

I'm such a peasant for judging this series before I had read it. I read the first two and half of this one when I was about 10, before reading was cool, before I had the attention span that reading requires (I know these are kids' books but I was a particularly distracted child). I did not know, Mother Rowling. Forgive my sin, and all the times wh
Mohammed Arabey
Nov 02, 2012 Mohammed Arabey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
عندما بدأت هذا الجزء كنت متخوفا من أن اجد أحداث مشابهة للجزئين السابقين..ولكني كنت مخطئا
كلب اسود غريب يظهر لهاري وحده يسبب له الفزع، إنه نذير الشؤم

يبدأ هاري عامه الدراسي بأغرب الاحداث..ويقابله وزير السحر ويقدم إستثناء خاص لهاري غير متوقع

مجرم وقاتل هارب من ازبكان..له ماض سئ مع عائله هاري بوتر..ينجح في التسلل للمدرسة ويسبب فزعا كبيرا

لم يستطع احد الامساك به برغم حراسة المدرسة بحراس أفظع من المجرمين نفسهم..يبثون الرعب في التلاميذ..بالاخص هاري

مدرس الدفاع ضد السحر الأسود هذه المرة هو الأفضل..إلا إنه ي
Delee
Buddy-read with two of my Great Escape gal pals- Stepheny and Ivonne.

photo 8c2dfbee-747b-4477-853c-86940b726771_zpsfet1adlx.jpg

Be on the look out for Stepheny Potthead aka The Book Pusher aka Quick Draw Stepheny aka The Nutty Professor. Last seen running along side the Knight Bus with Harry Potter's invisible cloak. Also Suspected in the kidnapping of fellow Goodreader Jeff and best-selling author Stephen King. Blonde Hair...big green doll eyes, has a frightening maniacal cackle and a tendency to whine when she doesn't get her way. LOUDLY. Considered a
Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》
It's kind of annoying how last two movies were so on point but not this one. :/

Slay, girl, slay!

Update:
I find movie Harry much more likable than book Harry.

WAIT!!
THIS IS A THING?!?
I am so down!
THIS JUST MADE MY DAY.

Reynita Maharani ★ The Night Reader ★
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Feb 03, 2016 Aj the Ravenous Reader rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Hayat (being the number one) and everybody else.

“You think the dead we love ever truly leave us? You think that we don’t recall them more clearly than ever in times of great trouble?”

*Guess which character said the above quote. (view spoiler)

The following isn’t really a review, more like random thoughts while and after reading the magical book:

1. Aunt Marge deserved it alright. Lol.
2. I’m against hurting kids but could I make a bloody exception with Draco?
3. I enjoyed every class with Prof. Lupin. I agre
Brad
Mar 25, 2008 Brad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know that many of you out there haven't gotten around to reading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Much like Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum, Germaine Greer's The Female Eunuch and Lucifer's worldwide bestseller The Holy Bible, you own a copy, it gathers dust, but its never been read. You've been thinking about it, though. You see it there on the shelf and you wonder, "Is this book for me?"

The following checklist will tell you all you need to know about Harry Potter and the Prisoner
P
Jun 10, 2015 P rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.”

Re-read - Only the Quidditch scenes earned five stars from me. This book is EPIC. Suffice to say that Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban is the best of the series. The story gets darker and more complex than the previous books. Harry, Ron and Hermiome don't chase the clue this time, they have to find a way to guard their lives from the most horrendous prisoner, Sirius Black.

“Harry Potter was a highly unusual boy in many ways.”

Harry grows up
Michael Finocchiaro
The third HP adventure serves to bring the likable Sirius Black into the story and get Gryffindor their Quidditch Cup, but the story and action was still far less gripping than the first novel. I thought that Lupin was an interesting character, but less spectacular than the previous two teachers against the Black Arts. I recall reading this for the first time nearly two decades ago when it came out and losing enthusiasm for the Harry Potter universe. However, I read it again so that I can read t ...more
Etnik
description

I don't understand why they use time travel in this one,and not in the other books.That would have made things a lot easier.

description
Christy
 photo stencil.facebook-post_zpsgwn7z13e.jpg

The third book in the Harry Potter series is by far the best of the first three. We get introduced to Sirius Black early on in the book, and I have to say, he’s my favorite character to date in the series. Getting more answers about Harry’s parents and past, you can tell this book sets up so many things for future books.

Sirius and Remus were the best part of the book for me. I could see where THIS would be the book that hooks so many HP fans. Don’t get me wrong, the first two are good, but the
emma
This - is my review of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.... It’s a great book - but not without its…problems….

D’you get it? It’s because every goddamn sentence of this book contains either a dash or an ellipsis. (That’s one of the...problems….)

I’m debating whether to unleash the anti-Snape rant that’s been building up inside me for a decade now. I think I’ll wait until his supposedly redeeming backstory is revealed. What book is that in? Anyway, ju
Joshua Gabriel (Forever Bookish Josh)
I'm now inevitably on the verge of a book hangover. I need to get my hands on the next book ASAP. I can hardly wait for payday this Friday!

Our Lady Rowling's writing seems to become more powerful as the series progresses. She just has this subtle way of evoking such positive emotions in her readers, bedazzling them with an awesome fictional world, an addictive storyline, and totally best-friend-worthy characters.

I had a delightful time witnessing Harry, Ron and Hermione's transition into young a
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
So I was supposed to buddy read this with BB&B , but then Rickman, so I binge read it in a day, and here we are.

Whatever. This is my favorite book in the series. I'll write a full review when I can think about Harry Potter without feeling like I've been sucker punched.

(9 3/4) Gerasimos
Aug 10, 2012 (9 3/4) Gerasimos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, favourites, reread
Harry Potter changed my life. If I hadn’t read Harry Potter when I did I would not be the same person today. What I am today, in a part is due to Harry. I cannot really say enough to make you understand how much Harry Potter means to me.
pinkgal
It was September 1998; the third Harry Potter book had just been released. Pottermania? What's that? It was still unknown except to a vast population of younglings who'd read it... and I fell in love. Oh, how I fell in love. I fell in love with the poor, starved-for-affection, later known to be a twit Harry. I fell in love with the pretentious know-it-all Hermione. I fell in love with the awkward, grew-up-in-his-brother's-shadows Ron... and most of all? I fell in love with the snarky, unplatable ...more
Ahmed  Ejaz
Finally, back to my favourite characters of all time! I started this series almost an year ago. After reading two and half books, I left it. Because at that time I was new to reading books and I used to get afraid of long novels. But now I am good with them. So I again started this series a month ago. I am so happy now that I can't tell! Harry, Ron, Hagrid, DUMBLEDORE !!!! I love each of them very much. Oh sorry, I forgot to mention Voldemort. But I love him as the villian.

This series gets imp
  • Conrad's Fate (Chrestomanci, #5)
  • The Grim Grotto (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #11)
  • Sign of the Unicorn (The Chronicles of Amber #3)
  • Lady Knight (Protector of the Small, #4)
  • The Riddle (The Books of Pellinor, #2)
  • The King of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #3)
  • Son of the Shadows (Sevenwaters, #2)
  • Gregor and the Code of Claw (Underland Chronicles, #5)
  • The Artemis Fowl Files (Artemis Fowl, #0.5, #1.5)
  • Dinotopia: The World Beneath
  • The Farthest-Away Mountain
  • Abarat (Abarat, #1)
  • Tower of Thunder (Tennis Shoes, #9)
  • The Serpent Gift (The Shamer Chronicles, #3)
  • A Wizard Alone (Young Wizards, #6)
  • The Foundling and Other Tales of Prydain