Start by marking “Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3)” as Want to Read:
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3)

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter #3)

4.47 of 5 stars 4.47  ·  rating details  ·  1,331,354 ratings  ·  20,601 reviews
During his third year at Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry, Harry Potter must confront the devious and dangerous wizard responsible for his parents' deaths.
Published September 1st 2001 by Perfection Learning (first published July 8th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, please sign up.

Amariah Dixon Well, for one, it would take them a looooong time to get everything the same. It's basically impossible to have every single detail from the book into…moreWell, for one, it would take them a looooong time to get everything the same. It's basically impossible to have every single detail from the book into the movie.(less)

Chris
Since pretty much everyone I know has read these books, I figure reviewing them is pretty pointless. But with the new book coming out in a couple of weeks, I have to go through them beginning to end. To make the reviews more entertaining, I will be doing them in a variety of unexpected formats. For this review, I will be writing as Crookshanks fan fiction.

Crookshanks swished his tail back and forth as he crept up the stairs to the boys' bedrooms. He knew the rat wasn't what it was pretending to
Wil Wheaton
I'm beginning to wonder if there will ever be a Defence Against The Dark Arts teacher who is just a teacher.
Saniya(Will Herondale is mine)
Of-course, this book was EPIC! =D
Its Harry Potter now. It has to be epic! *Rolling eyes but smiling widely* xD

Raeleen Lemay
Re-Read in December 2014 for Harry Christmas to You

OH MAN. THIS BOOK IS SO MY FAVORITE.

The phone conversation at the beginning between Ron and Uncle Vernon was PRICELESS. I wish so much that that scene had been in the movie.

I was so into reading this book that I failed to take notes, so I don't have many specifics to add except that I love how Crookshanks was basically Sirius's secret agent spy cat friend and I LOVE THAT.

Also, this book demonstrated some very REAL aspects of school. For example,
Brad
I know that many of you out there haven't gotten around to reading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Much like Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum, Germaine Greer's The Female Eunuch and Lucifer's worldwide bestseller The Holy Bible, you own a copy, it gathers dust, but its never been read. You've been thinking about it, though. You see it there on the shelf and you wonder, "Is this book for me?"

The following checklist will tell you all you need to know about Harry Potter and the Prisoner
pinkgal
It was September 1998; the third Harry Potter book had just been released. Pottermania? What's that? It was still unknown except to a vast population of younglings who'd read it... and I fell in love. Oh, how I fell in love. I fell in love with the poor, starved-for-affection, later known to be a twit Harry. I fell in love with the pretentious know-it-all Hermione. I fell in love with the awkward, grew-up-in-his-brother's-shadows Ron... and most of all? I fell in love with the snarky, unplatable ...more
9 3/4
Harry Potter changed my life. If I hadn’t read Harry Potter when I did I would not be the same person today. What I am today, in a part is due to Harry. I cannot really say enough to make you understand how much Harry Potter means to me.
Jo ★The Book Sloth★

Navessa

Still five stars. Love this so much. Can't review. Couldn't even take notes. Watched the movie immediately after finishing. Need next book. Wish I lived in this world. Damn you, Rowling.

(view spoiler)
Maxwell
Reread November 2014

The third film is my favorite of the series because it's a bit darker than the previous too, and the story gets creepier and moodier with the unfolding of Sirius Black's tale. However, I don't think the third book is my favorite to read. I do love the whole Time-Turner/Inception situation that goes on near the end. And the introduction of Lupin and Black are such great additions to the series (and Buckbeak, but what ever happens to him?).

I'm really enjoying these rereads, an
Micheline (Lunar Rainbows Reviews)
Harry Potter & the Prisoner of Azkaban has always been, in my opinion, one of the best books of the series. Even as far as the movies go, I feel that POA is by far the best book to film adaptation out of all 8 movies. Yes Harry Potter and Ron and Hermione are still fairly young in the third book, but I find they have matured quite a bit this time around. They're officially in their teens, and they've already had their fair share of adventures. This time around however, Harry has more to worr ...more
kristin
Now that I have three of these under my belt, it's time to take a break.

It's not that there's anything wrong with them. On the contrary, they're holding my interest too well.

See, I've got this homework stuff that I'm supposed to be doing instead of reading. But school is so boring all of a sudden, and home life is a bit strained, too, and it's so nice to escape. . .

No, I'm not a tween. I'm nearly thirty years old. But the same general issues still apply to me. This series has come to me at the
Mohammed Arabey
عندما قرأت هذا الجزء...كنت متخوفا من ان اجد احداث مشابهه للجزئين السابقين..ولكني كنت مخطئا

كلب اسود غريب يظهر لهاري وحده يسبب له الفزع, انه نذير الشؤم
description

يبدأ هاري عامه الدراسي باغرب الاحداث..منها مقابله مع وزير السحر الذي يقدم استثناء خاص لهاري غير متوقع
description

مجرم وقاتل هارب من ازبكان..له ماض سئ مع عائله هاري بوتر..ينجح في التسلل للمدرسه مما يسبب فزعا كبيرا
description

لم يستطع احد الامساك به بالرغم من حراسة المدرسه بحراس افظع من المجرمين نفسهم..يبثون الرعب في التلاميذ..بالاخص هاري

مدرس الدفاع ضد السحر الاسود بالرغم م
Greg
My Harry Potter Apology

A couple of summers ago I tried to read Harry Potter. I expected to be unimpressed, and I was was. The first two novels in the series are unspectacular. After reading more children's literature recently I've realized that they are fairly standard fair for the kiddie fantasy genre, but that still left me wondering why everyone cared so much about this little nerdling. If I hadn't engrossed myself in books for kids this summer I probably wouldn't have ever gotten decided to
Liz*

Trust me when I tell you I'm in love with this series. I just can't believe it's been years since I read this and still feels the same. Just like the first time, it was all there. Excitement, surprise, sadness and Sirius. One of my favorite characters of the series.

JK Rowling is a genius. Plot twist and another twist at the end, just in case you were asking for more.

Jason Koivu
Shit got real!

For me, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban was when the series got interesting. It certainly got darker and more mature. Torture, loss, a foreboding sense of dread and death itself descended upon this happy little world of magic where school exams and difficult professors were the worst things to worry about. It also introduced a reason for Harry to want to live: his godfather, a connection to his parents. Up until then there was little joy in Harry's life. Sure there was the
Maureen
Reread in December 2014 for #HarryXmasToYou

Such a great book! I love how much these characters develop as the books go on, and Remus and Sirius are some of my favorite characters. I feel like this is one I confuse with the movie a lot because I LOVE the PoA movie, so it was interesting to see some of the changes! Though it's a pretty faithful adaptation. Overall, just so great. I LOVE HARRY POTTER OMG.

also ROWLING WHEN ARE WE GONNA GET SOME MAURADER SHORT STORIES EH???
Shelby *wants some flying monkeys*
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I loved the first 2 books in this series but this one just swept me completely away! I love the storyline that Ms. Rowling has gifted us with. I watched the movies of some of the books years ago and I liked them but these books!

I want to run outside and scream READ THESE BOOKS! But then I think I'm one of the last people in the universe that hasn't. So I'll be sorta quiet.
P.S. Read these books!

Henry
Since everyone is probably already familiar with the Harry Potter series and with this book in particular, I'm not going to write any sort of summary. I am just going to say that of the three I have read so far, this is by far the best.
I felt that this book had the best and well thought out story line of the series so far. But keep in mind, I have only gotten through book three. Rowling also left no stones unturned by revealing the secrets behind all of the wizardry items and people introduced
Rabindranauth
Harry just can't seem to catch a break, can he? Even when he's not wrapped in some scheme involving Voldemort, he ends up going through his most intense emotional trial to date.

Harry's off to start his third year of Hogwarts, after blowing up his aunt, going on the lam and finding out Sirius Black, a convicted mass murderer and major supporter of Voldemort, is after him. Fearing for his safety, the Ministry of Magic stations the Dementors of Azkaban, soul sucking monstrosities with a curiously e
Sanaa
Re-Read December 2014: I'm a little late with updating my goodreads for this one, but I reread this for #HarryXmasToYou and I loved it! This one is neck in neck with the 4th for my favorite of the entire series!
Brendon Schrodinger
So I have been visiting Hogwarts while up a ladder painting my house thanks to the dulcet tones Stephen Fry. It's a great method of making the job seem not so big. I have read all the series before and the earlier volumes several times now, but I haven't read any since Deathly Hallows came out. It was getting time to revisit these great books and I found the most brilliant way.

What can I say about the books that hasn't been said before? I have no idea. So I guess I'll just write a little about t
Wart Hill
I was going to try to write a review and articulate why this is my favorite of the Harry Potter series, but I don't think I can...
Brad
***There may be some spoilers ahead, but can these books really be spoiled at this point?***

So this time through Prisoner of Azkaban something struck me about our general pop cultural acceptance that Albus Dumbledore is the goodest of the good, the best of the best, the most heroic of the heroes in Rowling's world (trumping even Harry because his sacrifice is genuine).

I am not interested in Rowling's intentions for the characters in this; I am interested only in what I see. And what I see tells
Mike (the Paladin)
The waters are getting deeper in this volume, and a little darker...but the first readers were growing up between volumes when this was first published. These are some of the most well written books around. Kudos To Ms. Rowling.

This book stands out for a couple of reasons...not to give any spoilers, it stands out as introing us to a couple of important characters and also for the nonappearance of another. The characters stay true to themselves and we get to know them even better.

The characters i
Alexa
Writing a review for this is probably impossible without spoilers. Let's just say I love this book.

I love the mystery, I love Remus, I love the Marauder's Map (Come on! You know you love it too!) I love the deus ex machina ending, and I love all the clues I should have seen but didn't.

But more than everything else, I love the background story. And I can easily say that I love the 'old' characters almost as much as the current ones.

Now for a little bit of Marauding fangirling.

All images by Vi
Thomas
Not as tight as the second book in terms of pacing and the major plot twist(s) at the end, but still enjoyable. Because Camp NaNo has my brain fried, here are a few random tidbits that stood out.

1) Professor Lupin, who I accidentally called Professor Lupus in the middle of a conversation with my friend. Love this guy, and he better come back into the series because awesome mentor figures are awesome.

2) Loved the minor character development. Rowling knows how to keep each character in the fray; I
Erica Ravenclaw
THIS BOOK IS AMAZING AND TRAGIC AND EVERYTHING I LOVE ABOUT THE HARRY POTTER SERIES.

That is all.
Miloš & Brontë
Pa: So we finally finished Prisoner of Azkaban, you turkeys, what did you think?

Miloš: I thought that the time-turner was really cool.

Pa: How come?

Miloš: Because I liked how Harry and Hermione went to save Sirius and save Buckbeak, and how Ron woke up and said what happened.

Pa: How about you, Te? Did you like that part?

Brontë: Yeah, I liked it. I like how they were going back in time. And I love how Harry, at the end, didn't know it [the person who cast the Patronus] was him because he thought i
Find Your Patronus 279 910 3 hours, 31 min ago
Favorite Harry Potter character??? 40 134 Dec 24, 2014 03:27PM
Teen Library : What's Your Patronus? 11 39 Dec 24, 2014 10:18AM
Harry Potter Wint...: The Prisoner of Askaban 1 2 Dec 16, 2014 01:25PM
Wait a Moment! 22 214 Dec 14, 2014 05:01PM
HOW ON EARTH? 5 97 Dec 08, 2014 02:10PM
  • Page (Protector of the Small, #2)
  • City of Flowers (Stravaganza, #3)
  • Squire (Protector of the Small, #3)
  • Greenwitch (The Dark is Rising, #3)
  • Krabat
  • The Magicians of Caprona (Chrestomanci, #4)
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5)
  • The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There (Fairyland, #2)
  • Conrad's Fate (Chrestomanci, #5)
  • The Lost Colony (Artemis Fowl, #5)
  • Oath Breaker (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness, #5)
  • O Despertar da Magia (As Crónicas de Gelo e Fogo #4)
  • A Wizard Alone (Young Wizards, #6)
  • Grip of the Shadow Plague (Fablehaven, #3)
  • Away Laughing on a Fast Camel (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #5)
  • Wizards at War (Young Wizards, #8)
  • Anne of Avonlea (Anne of Green Gables, #2)