Start by marking “Her Highness, My Wife (Effingtons, #5)” as Want to Read:
Her Highness, My Wife (Effingtons, #5)

Her Highness, My Wife (Effingtons #5)

Women never said no to the dashing Lord Matthew Weston and he never said no to them. But this was the first time he found one tempting enough to impetuously say "I do." Was it any wonder he awoke to discover her gone? And when Matthew learned the enchanting creature he'd married was of royal blood -- and would abandon their marriage bed without a second thought -- he vowed ...more
Published July 30th 2002 by Avon (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Her Highness, My Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Her Highness, My Wife

Outlander by Diana GabaldonThe Amber Spyglass by Philip PullmanSpindle by Shonna SlaytonStealing Snow by Danielle  PaigeQueen Rising by Danielle  Paige
A single object on the cover
8th out of 39 books — 4 voters
Gone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellOutlander by Diana GabaldonOn the Night of the Seventh Moon by Victoria HoltDeception by Amanda QuickShanna by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss
5 Star Historical Romances
103rd out of 169 books — 12 voters

More lists with this book...

Nov 01, 2010 Patria rated it liked it
Susan Wyno
Jun 01, 2016 Susan Wyno rated it liked it
3 1/2 's

I hate that goodreads doesn't have 1/2's
L. (Climbing Mt. TBR one page at a time)
This is one of those Almost But Not Quite kind of books. I was expecting the same old same old (which I did get), but I was surprised that the heroine, Tatiana, was one step above what you usually get in this genre.

In a whirlwind week in Paris (that we don't really get to experience other than being mentioned), Tatiana of Avalonia and Englishman Matthew Weston meet, have a sizzling affair, get married, and then she leaves him. Fifteen months, three weeks and four days later, she's back. I like
Jun 16, 2015 Kaye rated it it was amazing
I actually loved the way this book played out. And I love how all the characters are intertwined. Can't wait to start the next one.
Aug 10, 2012 Maggie rated it it was ok
The problem that kept coming up for me is how much I could NOT bring myself to like Tatiana. She lied constantly, put the people around her in danger, and had no patience with Matthew, who was still hurt by her actions long ago, simply because she briefly apologized in passing and thought he should be over it. Read this book if you're like me, and have to collect every book in the series. Otherwise...skip it.
Mar 15, 2011 Donna rated it liked it
I didn't like this book nearly as well as the first three in this series. I just really never liked Tatiana. She was dishonest, devious and distrustful and was never very appealing to me. I had trouble with buying into a romance between two people who never really trusted each other. The ending was also merely average. I'm hopeful the next books improve back to the quality of the 1st three.
May 23, 2011 Stephanie rated it it was ok
Too much time in this romance was spent with unneeded dialogue instead of action or character development. A European princess falls in love with a minor noble and sets out to save her country's symbol so she can be free to continue her marriage to him.
Jul 10, 2016 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, effingtons
Oct 27, 2013 Becca marked it as did-not-finish-no-interest
The heroine was a cold hearted snob. Who wants to read about that?!
Jan 18, 2013 Heather rated it did not like it
i really did it this time. i recently got around 8 books from the library,and i dont even need to read them to know they suck.
i've gotten to page 16 &i'm already certainly doesn't draw you in or make you interested in the story. i mean it sounds like tatiana &matthew were lovers. &she was married sometime but apparently isn't now.i just don't get it and it's too heavy for me. i've never read a book like this before-where they used to be lovers.
i also feel that the reason she
Sara ♥
Dec 27, 2007 Sara ♥ rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Apparently this is Book FIVE of the Effington Family series by Victoria Alexander. I had no idea.

Before this, I'd never read any historical romances with royalty in them. It was interesting--reading about a fictional royal family from a fictional country. Avalonia. (Avalon with an "ia" at the end?)

Anyway, I really liked it. I LOVE the name Tatiana, so the heroine was automatically on my good side. The fact that she was very intelligent, witty, and totally lied about getting that annulment like s
Aug 28, 2011 Judy rated it it was amazing
The Effinton series continues with Alexei's sister, Tatiana. She had met Matthew Weston 15 months earlier in Paris. As a Balloonist he had taken her up in his balloon and after 6 days and nights of passion they had married. And then she was gone leaving only a note that duty called.

Tatiana reappears in Matt's life and asks for his help and to pretend that he is her husband. She don't tell him she is looking for her country's lost jewels or that a crazy cousin is on the loose in England. This boo
Nov 26, 2007 April rated it liked it
I liked this book, but it took me a little time to get really into it. The main characters weren't as humorous as those in The Prince's Bride, but I did enjoy the story once I had the opportunity to sit down and read it.

The main character, Princess Tatiana, has a two-part mission on her mind. The first mission is to find the long-lost "Heavens", three jewels that symbolize her family's right as rulers of Avalonia and avoid her evil cousin who is looking for them also. The second mission is to re
Jane Mercer
Mar 15, 2014 Jane Mercer rated it did not like it
Shelves: going-to-ebay
Boring sorry but that's my opinion I didn't get past the second chapter, the couple had originally met in Paris fallen in love, had a couple of days together then Tatiana had run out on Matthew with a short note, now she needed his help. Premise sounded good enough just could not get into it.
Aug 05, 2013 Tami rated it it was ok
I don't have high literary expectations of romance novels-I just want to like the characters enough that I care about what happens to them.

This novel failed on that point-some of the dialogue could have been engaging but because Tatiana and Matthew were so two-dimensional it wasn't enough to give any depth to this story. And again, I'm talking about "depth" in terms of your average romance novel.

The fact that Tatiana was from some made-up country called "Avalonia" just made it worse, because if
Jan 20, 2015 Michelle rated it did not like it
Matthew Weston and Princess Tatiana. Didn't care for her and didn't care for the story.
Mar 27, 2011 Jessi rated it liked it
Lord Matthew Weston is happy spending his days in a warehouse trying to make balloons fly. Not stoked about that part of the story, it felt a little forced. But the whole "I married a woman after two days of lurv-making and then got pissed because I found out she was a secret princess" part of the story? I liked that. Matthew thought that Tatiana was out of his life but she's back! It seems that this princess from Avalonia needs help finding her family's famed "Heavens" in order to help her brot ...more
Sep 01, 2015 Kate rated it it was ok
1.5 stars. So. very. tedious.
Michelle Tucker
Jan 11, 2011 Michelle Tucker rated it it was amazing
Victoria Alexander once again proves herself a great historical romance author. I have loved every one of this series, and I'll bet the rest of them are as good. Matthew and Tatiana are a pair that you would never think would work together, her being a princess and him "working for a living", but somehow love conquers all. I love the plot regarding the heavens in this book. However, the ending wasn't quite what I was expecting. A good read over all.
Jan 22, 2014 Meaghan rated it really liked it
cute story and i liked the ending. made me want to go up in a hot air balloon.
Jun 18, 2016 Beatriz rated it did not like it
I liked it at the beginning, but then Tatiana got more and more annoying, until I didn't like her anymore, and therefore couldn't enjoy the book anymore.
The whole time I was reading this book, I had the feeling I had read it before. I don't actually think that I had. However, it was your standard regency romance. That is neither good or bad, but being standard, it just reminded me of other books.

I think this is the first book I have read by Victoria Alexander. I really don't know if I will try another one.
A delicious Regency read!! Engaging characters and an entertaining plot line. Nice amount of steam to keep the story popping!

They really are quite a pair! Such an entertaining tale, much farce!

I love a lively historical with all the pomp and circumstance! Really enjoyable read!

A fun series.
Diane Sallans
Nov 24, 2012 Diane Sallans rated it it was amazing
Loved this one! Continues with the characters from the Royal House of Avalonia who's story continues in another of the books in the series.
Jul 17, 2010 Amos rated it liked it
Of Borders Marketplace/C.Leit's Nearly New and Used Bo.., OH. 7/12/2010
interesting twists and again a good story. Quick Reads...
Dec 14, 2012 Ashley rated it liked it
Was not overly fond of this one, it took me a rather long time to read it. The story line did not draw me in like some other books do.
Deborah Vespo
Jul 15, 2013 Deborah Vespo rated it really liked it
Really liked Lord Matthew Weston!! What a sweetheart!!! Will have to spend time on this review later.. really liked it!
Dec 23, 2011 Mzpastrychef rated it really liked it
Very very good book!!!!!!

**** Note ...I read these books in 2011 but do not record the exact date! **********
Sep 20, 2009 Erin rated it liked it
I think I was trying to convince myself I like Victoria Alexander as much as I like Cathy Maxwell... but I don't.
  • It Takes a Hero (Danvers, #4)
  • The Wedding Game (Matchmaker Duncan Sisters, #3)
  • Secrets of a Perfect Night
  • The Rogue (Liar's Club, #5)
  • In My Wildest Dreams (Governess Brides, #5)
  • Never Romance a Rake (Neville Family #3)
  • Princess Charming (Men from Special Branch, #2)
  • Sweet Vengeance (Garrick, #2)
  • The Secret Duke (Malloren, #10)

New York Times bestselling author Victoria Alexander was an award winning television reporter until she discovered fiction was much more fun than real life. She turned to writing full time and is still shocked it worked out.

Since the publication of her first book in 1995,
More about Victoria Alexander...

Effingtons (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Wedding Bargain (Effingtons, #1)
  • The Husband List (Effingtons, #2)
  • The Marriage Lesson (Effingtons, #3)
  • The Prince's Bride (Effingtons, #4)
  • Love With the Proper Husband (Effingtons, #6)
  • The Lady in Question (Effingtons, #7)
  • The Pursuit of Marriage (Effingtons, #8)
  • A Visit From Sir Nicholas (Effingtons, #9)
  • When We Meet Again (Effingtons, #10)
  • Let It Be Love (Effingtons, #11)

“You and I have found something few people ever do.Do you not understand, Matthew? I refuse to let your misguided nobility keep us apart.My life as a princess, or a peasant, is not worth living without you in it."
"And mine is without you? I'm willing to go to Avalonia and be your blasted lapdog, if that will keep you in my life. Damn it all, Tatiana, I love you. I have loved you from the moment you went up in my balloon. From the moment I saw the tilt of your smile and the spark in your green eyes. From the first lie to the last, I have loved you. And I love you now!"
"Then do stop screaming at me!"
"I am not screaming! I am..." He stopped abruptly and blew a long, frustrated breath.
"I suspected as much." The corners of her lips twitched as if she were about to laugh.His heart leapt.
He stared at her for a long moment. "Can you forgive me?"
"Never." She shrugged. "Perhaps. Possibly. Someday.Years from now."
"After a great deal of groveling, I imagine?" He raised a brow. "Begging, beseeching, pleading and so forth as well, no doubt?"
"Without question."
"And how long do you expect the groveling, begging, beseeching and so forth would continue?" He started around the table toward her.
"A lifetime should do." She cast him the look, and any lingering doubt he had vanished.
"I see. Exactly where will I be doing this groveling, begging and beseeching?" He reached her and pulled her into his arms and back into his life.
"Do not forget the so forth." She stared defiantly up at him.
"I would never forget the so forth." He bent and kissd the hollow of her throat. "The so forth has always been my favorite part.Now,where?”
“My life as a princes, or a peasant, is not worth living without you in it.” 3 likes