Start by marking “The Great Secret (Stories from the Golden Age)” as Want to Read:
The Great Secret (Stories from the Golden Age)

The Great Secret (Stories from the Golden Age #4)

2.94 of 5 stars 2.94  ·  rating details  ·  155 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Women. Liquor. Power.

Women. Liquor. Power.

That is Fanner Marston’s mantra—his reason for being—and while he knows a little about the first and a lot about the second, he may well be on the verge of learning everything there is to know about the third. Power. He may, in fact, be about to uncover the key to gaining absolute control over the entire universe. The only proble
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published September 8th 2008 by Galaxy Audio (first published April 1943)

To ask other readers questions about The Great Secret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Secret

EZRead eBookstore
“The Great Secret” played The Great Trick on me; I didn’t know it was a short story collection, so I kept waiting for Marsten from the first story to pop up later. I, being very smart, eventually figured it all out. This was my first sci-fi book by Hubbard, and was probably the most distinct from his other dime novel work. The style is literary and the stories a bit deeper; our space sailors and hunters had more realism than the be-muscled hunks of “The Iron Duke”. But will devoted pulp fans mis ...more
Sep 27, 2015 Skjam! rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: pulp fans
Recommended to Skjam! by: it was one dollar
This is another in the line of Galaxy Press reprints of L. Ron Hubbard’s pulp magazine stories. As always, the physical presentation is excellent. This time, we have four short science fiction stories. The cover doesn’t actually apply to any of them.

“The Great Secret” is focused on Fanner Marston, the sole survivor of an expedition to find a lost city of the great star-spanning civilization that once ruled the universe. Hidden in that city is the Great Secret that gave them mastery–once Marston
Comes Up Short When Compared to Other Books in This Series

Re-published by Galaxy Press in 2008

Before L. Ron Hubbard became famous for Scientology and ultimately made Tom Cruise's life a perennial target for the tabloids he wrote a whole bunch of short stories for the pulp magazines from 1936 to 1950. Galaxy Press has been re-releasing them in small collections as paperbacks and audiobooks. This collection consists of four short stories.

The first story is "The Great Secret" which was originally p
Enjoyable, but not his best by any means. The title story was a variation on a very old story, fairly well told but not exceptional. Space Can was decent military science fiction, all action and no development. The Beast would have made a good Twilight Zone or Outer Limits story, weird enough that it worked well. For me, it was the highlight of the book. The Slaver was the weakest of the bunch, and the least believable to me.
Larry Jones
The title story was just amazing.Highly reccommended for any lover of the pulps.
Supremely, spectacularly bad!
Nov 14, 2013 Christopher rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
Ohkay, so this wasn't a horrible collection of little sci-fi shorts. I have to admit I was a little (perhaps a LOT) skeptical when I began to read these stories, as I am familiar with the person known as L Ron Hubbard as well as his Church of Scientology empire. I got about 5 of these "pulp" collections as a gag-gift from my father, after sitting on the shelf for a brief period collecting dust, i decided to grab "The Great Secret" off the stack and peel right into it...

On the positive side, the
First Impressions:

Behind a veil of science fiction trappings come four stories from pulp fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard, a collection of shorts that originally appeared in various magazines of the 1930s and 1940s, when kids during the Great Depression and WWII took some comfort in these fanciful stories.

I've collected or read these kinds of stories for some time now, and found that both Hubbard's and Heinlein's stories teach us lessons of the human condition, each with its own themes of redemptio
This was an extremely short book containing four shorter stories written in the 1940’s by a classic pulp fiction writer.

I don’t usually get much satisfaction from short stories, although they’re ok for an occasional quick read. This collection wasn’t any different -- the stories just didn’t contain much substance. They were too short for any real character development, and each story provided little more than a snapshot of a key moment in a character’s life. I liked some of the stories better th
The kind folks at Galaxy Press have given me a few copies of their audiobooks over the years at semiannual ALA conferences. I promised one of their booth reps this summer that I'd post reviews of them on Goodreads to repay their generosity.

"The Great Secret" is another collection of L. Ron Hubbard's old pulp stories, science fiction this time. It's a two-disc audiobook with music and effects.

Overall this is a forgettable tome of mediocre tales. The titular story takes place on a far-off wastelan
Steve Chisnell
My first foray in Hubbard, likely my last. Yes, skeptical. Yes, I know it's 1940s pulp. So I will broaden my review to underscore my disaffection for pulp: the poor plot twists and Deus ex Machina endings, the simplistic machismo and duty-bound motivations, the meaningless revelations, and the overwrought--hugely awkward--attempts at imagery and originality ("What the scatterbrained hell is going on in there?"). I dug out a few of the short stories I had written in eighth grade: same criticisms.
Jo Stallworth
With the loss of the greatest generation author Ray Bradbury, there is a new spotlight on Sci-Fi's Golden Age. This particular audio set surprisingly combines the best of the written and the visual, the great sound effects calling to mind The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits. The voicing is perfect also, with multicast performances, some discs featuring well-known Sci-Fi/Fantasy actors. Some younger readers who are used to the modern Space Opera with stellar effects and character development, ...more
This book is comprised of 4 short stories. The first story The great Secret isn't very good, but shows a great deal of Lovecraft influence. The 2nd story, Space Can was the most interesting story in the book. The third and fourth stories were slightly better than the first. Character Development was non-existent in the slaver, as it was non-existent in the great Secret. The character development in The Beast was good, but the peculiarities of venusian society made that one confusing to start out ...more
isi nya cerita pendek , bingung juga, kirain bersambung rupanya pisah2 huhuhuhuh
A slightly random collection of sci-fi, with the jagged 'pulpy' paper widths giving the book a very odd feel. The stories themselves are mostly action oriented with little character development apart from the hunter of The Beast who learns fear for the first time. In The Great Secret a lot of the plot was baloney - be better prepared when traveling great distances over rough terrain!

I think Hubbard needed the 10 volumes of Mission Earth to fit in all the action scenes and thoughtful reflection.
For a full review, see here:

This collection of four of L. Ron Hubbard's pulp fiction stories is great if you're looking for grand adventures. Don't go in looking for literary masterpieces with overarching themes, etc. That's not why you read pulp fiction.

Overall, I was impressed. The stories were written in the early 1940s but still feel fresh and relevant to modern audiences.
Joseph Patchen
This is what made the pulps so much fun. Perfect literature --- no but great fodder for those of us who think we might create something some day.
These 1930's/40's pulp stories never get old.
Fun pulp-sci-fi short stories. I actually feel like the characters in these short stories had more depth a realism than some of Hubbard's adventure shorts. My favorite was the story "Space Can" which hinted at a much deeper backstory and would have made a great chapter in a full space novel besides being a complete story unto itself.
Amusing. Dated. Love the reader (it's Tron!). This collection of short stories reminded me of Edgar Rice Burroughs. Generic action stories, but on other planets, or with out of this world twists (although really, there aren't a lot of surprises, pretty linear stories). Not bad to listen to on a long drive.
A very nicely-produced and attractive volume which contains a handful of Hubbard's less-known early sf short stories. I suspect that none of them would have ever been reprinted had they not been written by Hubbard, but they were nostalgic fun for the most part.
Mark Stratton
Ugh. Formula and boring. I bailed after two stories. I just wasn't feeling it. This feels like a cheat as I didn't finish the book. I'll just read another one to meet the goal for the year.
This was a quick read. Had a collection of okay sci-fi stories. Could not really get into some of them but they were okay. Something quick to read at lunch today.
Teressa Morris
The Great Secret, is action-oriented science fiction (ala Flash Gordon), but still a fun read. The book is short and would be a great read for a rainy afternoon.
Jun 26, 2011 Ryan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: justok
These stories were fairly well written. But they did not leave much of an impression. I think it would take a lot for me to not hate this author for Dianetics.
Megan Fahey
Quick and enjoyable, but not much substance.
Joan Thompson
Just didnt happen for me. Gave up on the book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Into the Abyss
  • Xenolith
  • The Fourth World
  • Eros, Philia, Agape
  • Haven (The Fall of Haven #1)
  • Splintered Energy
  • The Making of Legend (Cerebral Network #1)
  • Cyberdrome
  • Right Ascension
  • Savior (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #4)
  • The Kiribati Test
  • The Demon Queen And The Locksmith
  • The Softwire: Virus on Orbis 1
  • Faces in Time
  • Lux 1.1: Seeds (Lux, #1)
  • Snapdragon Alley
  • The Forever Gate 2
  • Bright of the Sky (Entire and the Rose, #1)
L. Ron Hubbard was a popular pulp writer of science fiction, fantasy, adventure, mysteries and westerns during the 1930s and later founder of Dianetics and Scientology.

Known Pseudonyms:
Frederick Engelhardt
Kurt von Rachen
Rene LaFayete/Rene La Fayette/René Lafayette
Frankie Rohne
More about L. Ron Hubbard...

Stories from the Golden Age (2 books)
  • If I Were You (Stories from the Golden Age, #5)
Battlefield Earth The Invaders Plan (Mission Earth, #1) Black Genesis (Mission Earth, #2) The Enemy Within (Mission Earth, #3) An Alien Affair (Mission Earth, #4)