Start by marking “L'ultima legione” as Want to Read:
L'ultima legione

L'ultima legione

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  2,805 ratings  ·  86 reviews
Anno Domini 476. Il re barbaro Odoacre depone l'ultimo imperatore romano, il tredicenne Romolo Augustolo, confinandolo a Capri. Il sipario cala definitivamente sulla civiltà di Roma. Ma non tutto è perduto. Un pugno di legionari sembra risorgere dal campo di battaglia: Rufio Elio Vatreno, veterano di infinite battaglie, Cornelio Batiato, gigante etiope dalla forza smisurat ...more
Paperback, Oscar bestsellers, 472 pages
Published September 23rd 2003 by Mondadori (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about L'ultima legione, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about L'ultima legione

Jason Golomb
There aren't many books that I'll stop reading. I hate that feeling of a lack of accomplishment. But honestly, there are too many good, fun and/or interesting books to read rather than slogging through some simply unacceptable writing.

Manfredi's "The Last Legion" has a pretty solid story - in broad strokes it paints a picture of the very last days of the Western Roman Empire, the kidnapping of the Last Emperor - Romulus Agustus, and his rescue. I can't tell you more of the plot because I couldn'
Olethros
-Más ficción que historia, más aventurillas que eventos.-

Género. Novela histórica.

Lo que nos cuenta. Un anciano druida echa la vista atrás y recuerda otros tiempos, cuando la Antigua Roma se hundía sin remedio y en el trono del Imperio moribundo se encuentra un niño de trece años que no es más que la extensión de la voluntad de su padre, pero los bárbaros están por todas partes y capturan al joven dirigente y sólo un pequeño grupo de legionarios puede intentar cambiar la situación.

¿Quiere sab
Daniel
manfredi's Alexandrian trilogy will remain for the rest of my days worthy of admiration and a magnificent bounty of inspiration and adventure. Perhaps its unfair to judge those tomes, individually or collectively, against Legion, yet I must. for a writer must be judged on not solely what he can produce but also his capabilities... manfredi had set the bar so much higher than this book reaches, with his other offerings, that its surely either laziness or the first strong signs of a descent into d ...more
Paul
This is the first book I've read that was originally published in a different language, translated into English for this edition. Therefore I'm no expert when it comes to publishing what counts as a foreign language version, I still believe one of the basic requirements is that you employ a translator who actually speaks the secondary language fluently, not just give your new wife preferential treatment.

At first, you naturally blame yourself for being common and not posh enough to know certain E
martin
I love historical novels and I admire Manfredi's attention to detail and his obvious depth of research. I find myself checking his characters and events on the internet or in history books to know more - and that is always a good thing for any book.

This novel feels a bit like a Hollywood film and not just because it has already been filmed. There's the same action packed plot - I wonder if there were times when all that happened was that they were simply walking in the forest? There's the tortu
Kimberly
When I picked this book up I didn't know what to expect. I just wanted to try something a little different. I guess I feared how well it would translate into English given that the writer was Italian. However I was greatly impressed with this book. It captured my imagination fully. I loved the story. I love how its "Arthurian" but not in the classical way. I loved the characters and the history Manfredi used. I would probably recommend it for anyone who likes Arthurian novels. It was a great rea ...more
Giovanna Barbieri
Analisi grammaticale:
Direi buona, anche se non eccelsa quanto il mio nome è nessuno. Ho notato nel romanzo solo un errore di un tempo verbale. Non amo molto il narratore onnisciente e all'inizio si è un po' spazzati, ma si fa presto l'abitudine.
Ambientazione:
L’Italia da Capri a Ravenna, fino all'attraversamento delle Alpi e arrivo in Britannia.
A mio avviso, Manfredi è un maestro nel descrivere le strade romane, i luoghi di posta per la sosta dei cavalli, le valli e le campagne dell’Italia di fi
➴AℓpℌaAmұ
May 23, 2015 ➴AℓpℌaAmұ rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!!!
oh.my.days.
This 19980 character limit is no where near enough to say what I felt - feel - about this book.
This is seriously, like, THE MOST INCREDIBLE book I have EVER read. I can't even express. Thing is, it wasn't even that sad (there was the odd bit), but it made me cry. It was just so...amazingly written. Like, this author is a genius. I don't actually think I've ever felt so........empty; yet alive and excited, when I finished reading it.
And it's weird because, I read romances (most of all
Kathia Oliver
SOY UNA ADMIRADORA DEL ESTILO DE VALERIO MASSIMO MANFREDI, Y CREO QUE ESTA ES DE SUS MEJORES NOVELAS, NO HAY TREGUA, TODA LA HISTORIA ES TREPIDANTE, PLAGADA DE AVENTURAS INTENSAS. AMPLIAMENTE RECOMENDABLE.
Plucino
Grazie a questo libro ho scoperto di essere in grado di leggere diverse centinaia di pagine in venti minuti.
Caleb
The Roman Empire is in its death throes as the story opens, it is falling apart from the inside, the barbarians have more or less obtained control, and even as Romulus Augustus' father attempts to set his son up as a rallying point, his dream is destroyed and his son is taken.

A courageous band of misfits comes together and set out to rescue the boy emperor. Their journey eventually leads them to the island of Britannia, where they must convince the disbanded 9th Legion to join their cause, and l
G.Claudio
Non un capolavoro, sicuramente non tra i migliori libri dell'autore, ma un bel libro di avventura, anche se con qualche "salvataggio sul filo del rasoio" si troppo a mio avviso. Va bene una volta, va bene due... ma per poveraccio di Wulfia sar arrivato una decina di volte ad uno sputo dalla preda, vedendosela sfuggire per un soffio... Cos come non si pu dire che la stessa composizione del gruppo sia particolarmente originale, o che ci siano chiss quali colpi di scena... Molto bella, anche se per ...more
by Ax
Ultimi fuochi

Uno di quei libri che ti trasmettono la voglia di saperne di più su quanto viene raccontato, soprattutto nelle pagine finali, seminando quelli che saranno i germogli per un'altra grande avventura della storia.
Lo stile si avvicina a quello cinematografico (tant'è che ne faranno un film), ma a prescindere da questo, la narrazione resta accattivante e con mordente, in grado di creare la tensione fino all'epilogo finale.
Cindy
I absolutely loved this book!!! This is the prequel to the King Arthur legend. It tells of how Arthur's father was originally Ceasar Romulus Augustus, who was desposed when rival barbarian chief Odoacer killed his parents. Romulus' tutor, Ambrosius (otherwise known as Merlyn!) kept him safe with the help of a band of misfit Roman legionaires (since there were no more Roman Legions, these legionaires wanted to help the young Ceasar to keep his life). They go through many trials and tribulations, ...more
Jeffield
This book wasn't what I thought it was. I still like reading stories that take place in this period of Roman rule so I read it anyway once I realized things weren't going the way I thought they should go.

I am wondering if it would have been better if it wasn't a translation. The author is Italian and in some spots I thought, "please tell me that something was lost in the translation because I could have done better than this." And as you can tell that must be pretty bad because when I post some
Tom Lambrecht
An excellent historical fiction written by a real-life Italian archaeologist. So the details are fairly authentic. The book recreates the "fall" of the Roman empire in 476 AD. The characters are engaging and the plot is believable. There is a twist at the end that I didn't see coming and gave it an uplifting conclusion. I would recommend the book.
Simon Turney
There are things I really liked about the book and things I didn't. What I WILL say for potential readers is that the film they made from it bears virtually no resemblance to the book, so you can be happy about that before reading.

The characters are quite well-defined and the heroes likeable. The fact that the story is set at the end of the western Empire gives it a fresh interest for me. There are fewer stories of the era than the high principate.

I feel that the plot, as it unravels, is often t
Evangeliaz
It is an amazing book, full of history, mystery, love, war, feith and every virtue of the Roman Empire. I definitely recommend it to anyone who would like an adventurous and emotional reading. Manfredi has created a masterpiece with an end that no one could ever imagine.
David Campton
A decent historical fiction where Manfredi weaves together a few facts concerning the breakdown of the western Roman Empire, together with various legends of the era, and his own imagination. Some of the dialogue is cringe-worthy, but as others have suggested, perhaps this us a function of the translation from Italian. The somewhat unbelievable climax cannot be so easily written off however, but, unlike other reviewers I will not get into this for fear of spoilers. It isn't as bad as some review ...more
Chaitanya krishnan
If you like me are a fan of Manfredi's work, then this will not dissapoint you. the setting is somewhere near the end of the Roman empire, and the beginning of a new era..in britannia.. can't say more without giving away the ending.

The characters are beautifully crafted and you feel a genuine connection with them. The story is quite fast paced and kept me at the edge of my seat.

Overall was a pretty good read. I found the ending was a bit abrupt. though i guess i can't think of a better way to en
Andrew Toh
Like the plot twist and dedication of the characters. Personification of valour and loyalty.
Kevin
Found this tough going at first but once I got into it, it was a good read. The book is essentially the tale of a journey, and as such gave a sweep across parts of the late Roman world. I found the societies less well realized than I might have expected from an academic historian. It did annoy me that the main characters kept going on about how the Roman Empire had fallen and that Romulus Augustus was the last emperor when (as Manfredi acknowledged in his epilogue), no one in 476 thought that wa ...more
Fede
Libro interessante, che unisce il periodo della caduta dell'impero Romano alla leggenda di Re Artù, sebbene il collegamento sia solo presente alla fine del romanzo. Probabilmente non è uno dei migliori prodotti letterari dello scrittore, ma la sua grande competenza nel campo storico si riscontra in modo particolare nel modo in cui narra ciò che resta del mondo romano. Nei piccoli particolari, insomma, quelli che solo uno studioso come lui potrebbe raccontare con tanta verosimiglianza. A volte le ...more
Erevan
Perhaps it was that my expectations about this book were too high, perhaps it was that i had already watched the movie based on it, but it was disappointing. The general idea behind the story was nice but the writing was not enthralling, it even felt kind of clumsy in some parts, though maybe this was because of the translation. It had nice parts though, but generally it was such a big let down.
Hilary
I liked the cover and I needed something to read.

Perhaps the story was lackluster due to poor translation? The premise of the book, the last Roman Emperor emigrates to Britain and establishes Pendragon royalty was interesting. It was just the endless slogging through endless boring terrain and the predictable "twists" (how new is it when Wulfie keeps showing up just when things start looking up...every time?).

And our hero (not the boy Emperor, but an amnesiac legionnaire) is at the end, dropped
Lna26hp
No me acordaba que lo había leído hasta que he visto que hicieron su adaptación cinematográfica.
El libro y el argumento están bien, salvo que en algunos momentos se podía hacer pesado.
Nispuk
Roman T SERIE PIPER 4148 Manfredi Letzte Legio
Inês Montenegro
Não tenho muito a dizer sobre este livro, o que mais me salta em evidência é a narrativa aborrecida ao ponto de até os vários confrontos que se dão não suscitarem a mínima partícula de interesse, aliada a personagens e relações amorosas que se encaram com um “meh” sem sal.
Dando a César o que é de César, os pormenores históricos conhecidos encontram-se lá, e o conhecimento final de como o jovem Rómulo Augusto ficará conhecido na História tem o seu quê de engraçado… Mas não o suficiente para que o
Federica
Soddisfatta :)
Goodreads Librari...: Information needs correcting/adding 4 18 Nov 26, 2013 09:22AM
Goodreads Librari...: Combine editions 2 17 Jun 20, 2012 02:14PM
  • Ship of Rome (Masters of the Sea, #1)
  • Centurion (Eagle, #8)
  • King of Kings (Warrior of Rome, #2)
  • Memnon
  • La torre in fiamme
  • Caligula (Rufus, #1)
  • Gods and Legions: A Novel of the Roman Empire
  • Nicolas Eymerich, inquisitore
  • Wounds of Honour (Empire, #1)
  • Eagle in the Snow
  • Tribune of Rome (Vespasian, #1)
Valerio Massimo Manfredi (born 1943) is an Italian historian, writer, archaeologist and journalist. He was born in Piumazzo di Castelfranco Emilia, province of Modena and is married to Christine Fedderson Manfredi, who translates his published works from Italian to English. They have two children and live in a small town near Bologna.
Valerio Massimo Manfredi defines himself as an "Ancient World To
More about Valerio Massimo Manfredi...
Alexander: Child of a Dream (Aléxandros, #1) The Sands of Ammon (Aléxandros, #2) The Ends of the Earth (Aléxandros, #3) Spartan The Lost Army