Start by marking “Picking Up The Brass” as Want to Read:
Picking Up The Brass

Picking Up The Brass

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  14 reviews
A hilarious look at what real life was like for the vast majority of young men who joined the British Army in the Eighties. It follows Eddy Nugent, a bored fifteen-year-old, living in Manchester, as he travels through the drinking, swearing and sex-obsessed world of our nation's finest.
Published July 1st 2008 by Monday (first published August 15th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Picking Up The Brass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Picking Up The Brass

Cams
I rated this book 5 stars simply for the memories it brought back. I went through the same apprentices' college as the authors and did my basic training in the same squadron three years later. Not much, if anything at all, had changed in the three years that separated us. I'd forgotten all about lining up under the glass shelter outside the cookhouse. I guess there were no squadron track suits in 85 though, awful blue nylon jobs that made recruits stand out even more than misshapen berets and wh ...more
Sam
It's a little bit coarse in parts, but it's laugh-out-loud funny, even if you've read it previously.

As always with funny books, don't read it while you are flying solo on public transport, or whilst eating or drinking, especially soup.

So, what happens? It's the 'based on real life' stories of two former signals, combined into the fictional auto-biography of the often hapless, occasionally helpless (usually from drink), Eddy Nugent. Born and raised in Manchester, Eddy leaves school after his o'le
HA
First off, this book wasn't written for me. I'm not the target audience here, so please take my comments with that in mind. in brief, "Picking Up The Brass" mostly focuses on the training experiences of young Eddy Nugent, and then briefly follows him into the first years of his military service. If you've served in the military, there's probably a lot here for you to commiserate over- as a civilian though, I found the pace to be a little slow at first. However, the authors of this book are good ...more
Gerald Sinstadt
This is in many respects a picture of army life I can recognise from my own experience, but unfortunately the book tends to capture too well the boring repetitiveness of training under boorish bullies. The authors extract humour from the situation but that too lacks variety.

Crucially, there is the question of language, and here is a problem of realism which may be insoluble. Much of army life is peppered from minute to minute with the f-word and the c-word. I am not squeamish but when the same t
Ken
Could not put this down. I loved it from cover to cover. It was a great reminiscent trip back to my time in the military. The adventures mishaps, language and sense of humour come flooding out of this book. Those considering joining the forces should read this to give you some insight as to what military life is like. Those who have served should make a bee line for the nearest book shop, you will not regret it.
Although set in the 80s most of what the book contains are as true today as it ever w
Peter Knowles
An excellent read and so true to army life it had me laughing out loud.

Highly recommended for anyone in the army or anyone who served in the army.

If you like this sort of read then you might like to try my book:
Once Upon a Time in the Army
Jo
Eddy Nugent is the nom de plume of 2 former serving soldiers who recreate their experiences in the army as well as those of their friends to produce a kind of memoir. Incredibly funny but not for those easily offended.
David
all ex squaddies will relate to this book and have a good laugh at the misfortunes of Eddy and his basic training, and remember their own punishment at the hands of the training staff, and laugh along.
Chris Shields
A real laugh out loud book which shows great insight into the madness of mundanity that occurs daily within the life of a solider. As a serving solider I can tell you that not a lot has changed since.
Ian
Felt a little flawed in terms of narrative pace, nonetheless an interesting and funny look at workaday life in the British army. Not for anyone sensitive to bad language!
Michael Hilton
Co written by one of my friends, this is a light hearted heart warming and at times hilarious look at a soldiers life through basic training to posting to first unit. A must read!
Chris Devlin
A great read although I'm not ex-army but my son is currently serving and, as it happens, is Royal Signals and has completed P Company.
A great read with regular chuckles :>)
Clive Winter
What a great boot a must for all ex solders who served in the 80s and in Aldershot , brought back so many memory's ..
Rose
Dec 25, 2009 Rose added it
Shelves: 2009, fiction
How can you resist a book with a cover that promises
"The 80s! The Army! The Madness!"?
Andy Sparks
Andy Sparks marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Odette Dace
Odette Dace marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Naomi
Naomi added it
Oct 09, 2014
Mark Time
Mark Time marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014