Library Mascot Cage Match (Unshelved, #3)

Library Mascot Cage Match (Unshelved #3)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  356 ratings  ·  37 reviews
What's so funny about a library? Just about everything, as you'll find out in Library Mascot Cage Match, the third Unshelved collection. In addition to a year's worth of comic strips featuring library mascots duking it out and the return of the masked mystery man known only as "the Shusher," LMCM features the all-new full-color graphic novelette Empire County Strikes Back....more
Published June 15th 2005 by Overdue Media

To ask other readers questions about Library Mascot Cage Match, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Library Mascot Cage Match

Marie
Yay! Go Buddy! Champion of the First Annual Library Mascot Cage Match!

If you work in a library, you'll love this book! If you don't work in a library, there's a good chance you'll enjoy it too! Library Mascot Cage Match is a collection of Unshelved comic strips. I chuckled through the whole thing. It's all about daily life in the Mallville Public Library, with it's eclectic collection of staff and patrons. This particular collection is from early Unshelved strips, before Dewey is married.

Btw,...more
Joyce
This is a compilation of sarcastic and satirical comic strips about libraries, librarians, working for a living, working with the public for a living and striving to maintain a public service while rabid politicians are ranting about the need to privatize everything they possibly can unless it effects them personally. With all that said, it's very funny. Here's a dialogue between Mel, the head librarian, and Dewey the young reference librarian:
Dewey: So there I am playing "Spider Solitaire" for...more
Aleta Fera
this was the first unshelved collection i ever read, and it totally holds up a few years later.
Becky
Humor only librarians will get.
Katie
Feb 28, 2009 Katie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: librarians
Recommended to Katie by: my supervisor
This paticular "Unshelved" collection portrays the totally fun, yet horrifying experiances of the Summer Reading Program. Looking back to my youth when I was one of those kids who showed up every summer to take advantage of the free activities and a chance to read some of my favorite books for prizes. Now though, speaking as a children's librarian/clerk I can see things from Dewey, Mel, Colleen, and especially Tamara's and Buddy's persepective from the other side of the desk! Great fun! :0)
The other John
This one is number three in the adventures of Dewey and the other librarians at the Mallville Public Library. It offers the same kind of gags and stories that you'd read in the other collections. This one does feature a "graphic novelette", Empire County Strikes Back. But as a special feature goes, I wasn't too impressed. There were some chuckles, but the ending was a tad too preachy. Still, I'd love to have a copy of it on my shelf.
Meredith
I have many times said that my library needs a mascot. Not necessarily for cage match purposes, but it might be fun. I was thinking merchandizing.
Mandy
I can't help myself, I love the unshelved comic strips- they are right on in their humor and always make me laugh. This is one of the earlier volumes, and it was nice to see how Dewey met Cathy. Also there is a full color extended storyline in this volume that is called "Empire County Strikes Back," and it was enjoyable. I have learned that non-librarians do not necessarily get the humor in these.
Jeremy
Comparable to reading the morning funnies, in that it's relaxing and not especially funny. I think I would have liked it a lot in sixth grade; though written recently, it bears the mild irreverence of the mid-to-late 1980's. I feel bad giving something so well-meaning only two stars, but I was too glad when it was over to justify a personal recommendation.
Kit
Contains the incomparable smackdown series in which Buddy has to fight for his right to be "the book beaver" (and Dewey and Merv pursue marketing opportunities). As crazy as things are at the Mallville library, librarians know that it can always be weirder in real life.
Duane
This is the third in the series that deals with library humor and I'm still waiting for it to get funny. I can relate to the situations because I work at a library, but the gags seemed force and the artwork is just elementary to me.
Liz
Hmm. The totally cheesey pep talk end to the graphic novel Empire County Strikes Back (although the actual defeat of the bookmobile had me chuckling for days) brought this down one star. And what's happened to Dewey's nose?
Angel
I continue reading and enjoying this series. This particular volume has a bonus color story, "Empire City Strikes Back," which was quite cute. It was nice to see the gang in full color. Some very good strips here.
Clodjee
For a short review please check what I wrote for volume 1: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/84...

Or read my full comment on: http://clodjee.blogspot.ca/2008/11/un...
Hannah
This continuance of the Unshelved comic strip series is hilarious! Settling the beaver reading mascot debate with a cage match is classic. Barnes and Ambaum continue to surprise me with every page.
Cheryl in CC NV
No book-talk, just lots of laughs. The 'graphic novelette' was cute. My son and I just can't get enough of these collections. So glad they've got a website and e-mail list!
Jeff Barber
As a librarian by trade, this comic collection hits me where I live.
I'd recomend it to anyone who enjoys comics, or has worked in any kind of bookish job.
Kate
Jan 01, 2009 Kate rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fellow library types
Recommended to Kate by: one thing led to another
Shelves: comics
Video Velociraptor, CD centipede, DVD dwarf, and the duelling Bucky the Book Beavers. Truly the "Attacks in the Stacks"--a showdown not to be missed.
Heidi
It just gets funnier with each collection. And it is making me love my job even more! I'm so glad I bought all of these (and got them signed!).
Jesse
Fantastic as always! Somehow I'm out of order though...need to find out what happened between Dewey and Cathy!
Stacey
Took about an hour to read...couldn't put it down. I think a storytime in Klingon would be very entertaining.
How can you not love a book that contains a cage match between two library mascots??? It's impossible I tell you!
Aisha Mahmoud
Another hilarious wonderful read. Recommended for anyone who works in a library! You must read this!
Kelli  C.
Library Life in comic strips...especially enjoyed the "conference tips" strips in the back!!
Shari
I met the authors at Timberland Regional Library's All Staff Day 2005. They autographed this book.
Laura Benn
Loved these graphic novels, but librarians would never say those things! (At least not out loud!)
Holly
I love the crew at Unshelved-- English teachers and librarians have a lot in common.
Treasure
Duh... of course I loved it! How could I resist such a cover and title?
Abraham Ray
nice collection of web-comics of the unshelved variaty
Christine
Funny and without any pretense. Great 'librarian' comics!
  • Take Our Cat, Please: A Get Fuzzy Collection
  • Garfield Minus Garfield
  • Rex Libris, Volume I: I, Librarian (Rex Libris, #1-5)
  • Shave the Whales
  • Girl Genius, vol 11: Agatha Heterodyne and the Hammerless Bell
  • Looking For Group, Volume 1
  • Bookhunter
  • FoxTrot: A FoxTrot Collection
  • Nighthogs: A Pearls Before Swine Collection
  • Bigfoot: I Not Dead
I'm the artist of Unshelved and write Not Invented Here. I mostly read sci-fi, history, biography, science, and mainstream comics. Whenever went wrong in the past and resulted in an alternate dystopian present, I'm a happy man. I have a small bookcase of favorite books that I re-read every year or two.
More about Bill Barnes...
Unshelved (Unshelved, #1) What Would Dewey Do? (Unshelved, #2) Book Club (Unshelved, #4) Read Responsibly (Unshelved, #5) Frequently Asked Questions (Unshelved, #6)