Start by marking “Library Mascot Cage Match (Unshelved, #3)” as Want to Read:
Library Mascot Cage Match (Unshelved, #3)

Library Mascot Cage Match (Unshelved #3)

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  480 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
What's so funny about a library? Just about everything, as you'll find out in Library Mascot Cage Match, the third Unshelved collection. In addition to a year's worth of comic strips featuring library mascots duking it out and the return of the masked mystery man known only as "the Shusher," LMCM features the all-new full-color graphic novelette Empire County Strikes Back. ...more
Published June 15th 2005 by Overdue Media

To ask other readers questions about Library Mascot Cage Match, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Library Mascot Cage Match

The Essential Calvin and Hobbes by Bill WattersonHomicidal Psycho Jungle Cat by Bill WattersonThe Authoritative Calvin and Hobbes by Bill WattersonIt's a Magical World by Bill WattersonScientific Progress Goes "Boink" by Bill Watterson
Comics! Comics! Graphic Novels!
55th out of 275 books — 39 voters
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerThe Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz ZafónThe Historian by Elizabeth KostovaThe Name of the Rose by Umberto EcoLirael by Garth Nix
Books About Librarians
227th out of 236 books — 446 voters

More lists with this book...

Amanda [Novel Addiction]
I want to read more of this now. I don't have time now, but I want it anyways.

I guess some things are just universal - the same stuff happens in every public library. A lot of this hit really close to home.

Four stars, will be getting the rest of the volumes when I return from vacation. Woot woot.
sixthreezy
Jun 04, 2015 sixthreezy rated it really liked it
Shelves: binge
If you work in a library, you should be reading this.
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Jul 07, 2015 Nidah (SleepDreamWrite) rated it really liked it
Another funny collection of comic strips set at the public library. And the many misadventures of its librarians, Colleen, Mel, Dewey, Tamara, Buddy the Beaver, etc. Liking this series more and more. Only 3 volumes in but I think I found a new favorite series.
Jerry
Jan 26, 2015 Jerry rated it really liked it
A great read for library employees...such as myself.
Marie
Apr 27, 2014 Marie rated it it was amazing
Yay! Go Buddy! Champion of the First Annual Library Mascot Cage Match!

If you work in a library, you'll love this book! If you don't work in a library, there's a good chance you'll enjoy it too! Library Mascot Cage Match is a collection of Unshelved comic strips. I chuckled through the whole thing. It's all about daily life in the Mallville Public Library, with it's eclectic collection of staff and patrons. This particular collection is from early Unshelved strips, before Dewey is married.

Btw,
Joyce
May 11, 2012 Joyce rated it really liked it
This is a compilation of sarcastic and satirical comic strips about libraries, librarians, working for a living, working with the public for a living and striving to maintain a public service while rabid politicians are ranting about the need to privatize everything they possibly can unless it effects them personally. With all that said, it's very funny. Here's a dialogue between Mel, the head librarian, and Dewey the young reference librarian:
Dewey: So there I am playing "Spider Solitaire" for
Susan
Mar 22, 2016 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, cartoons
It helps if you're a librarian, of course. But others can find these cartoons amusing. "Unshelved" started as an online comic strip, and then grew to several large paperback books, all featuring Dewey, the young adult librarian, and his colleagues Mel, the library manager, Colleen, the Luddite reference librarian, and Tamara, the children's librarian, plus others as needed, as they deal with Mallville library patrons.
Kathleen
Jul 31, 2015 Kathleen rated it liked it
Unshelved is a good way to detox from library work, as I'm sure it would be for anyone working in any kind of customer service. It's nice to see that these older strips hold up even though the technology has changed a bit and the Revenge of the Sith references date some parts of the book a little.

I'd highly recommend this comic for anyone with public library experience, or anyone who enjoys a good laugh.
Jonathan Scotese
Jan 30, 2015 Jonathan Scotese rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-strips
More of the same. Funny. Written by someone who knows libraries. That said, Dewey would be fired several times over if he worked in reality. He is perhaps how some of the snarkier librarians fantasize about acting, expanded for comedic effect.
Kerrikoala
May 12, 2015 Kerrikoala rated it really liked it
Now I'm going to have to read the rest of these. Search Ohio, here I come!

Tamara rotating the cups and plates so their feelings don't get hurt? Yeah, that's totally me.
Aleta Fera
May 13, 2014 Aleta Fera rated it really liked it
this was the first unshelved collection i ever read, and it totally holds up a few years later.
Becky
Aug 13, 2014 Becky rated it really liked it
Humor only librarians will get.
Rebekah
May 19, 2015 Rebekah rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, 2015
These comics keep getting better and better. I can't wait to pick up the next addition.
Katie
Feb 28, 2009 Katie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: librarians
Recommended to Katie by: my supervisor
This paticular "Unshelved" collection portrays the totally fun, yet horrifying experiances of the Summer Reading Program. Looking back to my youth when I was one of those kids who showed up every summer to take advantage of the free activities and a chance to read some of my favorite books for prizes. Now though, speaking as a children's librarian/clerk I can see things from Dewey, Mel, Colleen, and especially Tamara's and Buddy's persepective from the other side of the desk! Great fun! :0)
The other John
Oct 06, 2007 The other John rated it it was amazing
Shelves: borrowed, braincandy
This one is number three in the adventures of Dewey and the other librarians at the Mallville Public Library. It offers the same kind of gags and stories that you'd read in the other collections. This one does feature a "graphic novelette", Empire County Strikes Back. But as a special feature goes, I wasn't too impressed. There were some chuckles, but the ending was a tad too preachy. Still, I'd love to have a copy of it on my shelf.
Meredith
Jan 15, 2014 Meredith rated it it was amazing
Shelves: funny, comics
I have many times said that my library needs a mascot. Not necessarily for cage match purposes, but it might be fun. I was thinking merchandizing.
Mandy
Jun 13, 2012 Mandy rated it it was amazing
I can't help myself, I love the unshelved comic strips- they are right on in their humor and always make me laugh. This is one of the earlier volumes, and it was nice to see how Dewey met Cathy. Also there is a full color extended storyline in this volume that is called "Empire County Strikes Back," and it was enjoyable. I have learned that non-librarians do not necessarily get the humor in these.
Jeremy
Comparable to reading the morning funnies, in that it's relaxing and not especially funny. I think I would have liked it a lot in sixth grade; though written recently, it bears the mild irreverence of the mid-to-late 1980's. I feel bad giving something so well-meaning only two stars, but I was too glad when it was over to justify a personal recommendation.
Kit
Aug 20, 2009 Kit rated it it was amazing
Contains the incomparable smackdown series in which Buddy has to fight for his right to be "the book beaver" (and Dewey and Merv pursue marketing opportunities). As crazy as things are at the Mallville library, librarians know that it can always be weirder in real life.
Duane
Jan 18, 2009 Duane rated it it was ok
This is the third in the series that deals with library humor and I'm still waiting for it to get funny. I can relate to the situations because I work at a library, but the gags seemed force and the artwork is just elementary to me.
Liz
Jul 13, 2009 Liz rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, 2009
Hmm. The totally cheesey pep talk end to the graphic novel Empire County Strikes Back (although the actual defeat of the bookmobile had me chuckling for days) brought this down one star. And what's happened to Dewey's nose?
Angel
I continue reading and enjoying this series. This particular volume has a bonus color story, "Empire City Strikes Back," which was quite cute. It was nice to see the gang in full color. Some very good strips here.
Clodjee
May 20, 2013 Clodjee rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
For a short review please check what I wrote for volume 1: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/84...

Or read my full comment on: http://clodjee.blogspot.ca/2008/11/un...
Hannah
Oct 29, 2013 Hannah rated it really liked it
This continuance of the Unshelved comic strip series is hilarious! Settling the beaver reading mascot debate with a cage match is classic. Barnes and Ambaum continue to surprise me with every page.
Jun 06, 2016 Sarah rated it liked it
Read the first 2 a couple years ago and now I have most of the series so I'm working my through them. This was was good but not as funny as the first 2.
Jeff Barber
Jul 29, 2012 Jeff Barber rated it really liked it
As a librarian by trade, this comic collection hits me where I live.
I'd recomend it to anyone who enjoys comics, or has worked in any kind of bookish job.
Kate
Jan 01, 2009 Kate rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fellow library types
Recommended to Kate by: one thing led to another
Shelves: comics
Video Velociraptor, CD centipede, DVD dwarf, and the duelling Bucky the Book Beavers. Truly the "Attacks in the Stacks"--a showdown not to be missed.
Heidi
It just gets funnier with each collection. And it is making me love my job even more! I'm so glad I bought all of these (and got them signed!).
Jesse
Apr 30, 2012 Jesse rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
Fantastic as always! Somehow I'm out of order though...need to find out what happened between Dewey and Cathy!
Stacey
Jun 23, 2012 Stacey rated it really liked it
Took about an hour to read...couldn't put it down. I think a storytime in Klingon would be very entertaining.
  • Take Our Cat, Please: A Get Fuzzy Collection
  • Bookhunter
  • Sinfest, Vol. 1
  • Dogbert's Clues for the Clueless
  • Liberty Meadows, Volume 1: Eden
  • Rex Libris, Volume I: I, Librarian (Rex Libris, #1-5)
  • The Ratvolution Will Not Be Televised
  • Garfield Minus Garfield
  • Road Trip! (Zits Sketchbook, #7)
I'm the artist of Unshelved and write Not Invented Here. I mostly read sci-fi, history, biography, science, and mainstream comics. Whenever went wrong in the past and resulted in an alternate dystopian present, I'm a happy man. I have a small bookcase of favorite books that I re-read every year or two.
More about Bill Barnes...

Unshelved (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Unshelved (Unshelved, #1)
  • What Would Dewey Do? (Unshelved, #2)
  • Book Club (Unshelved, #4)
  • Read Responsibly (Unshelved, #5)