Start by marking “A Lucky Dog: Owney, U.S. Rail Mail Mascot” as Want to Read:
A Lucky Dog: Owney, U.S. Rail Mail Mascot

A Lucky Dog: Owney, U.S. Rail Mail Mascot

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  19 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Owney was a friend of the mail. He loved the smell of railroad mail bags. He slept on them and rode with them to the train station in Albany, New York. One day he got a chance to ride a Mail Train. That was the beginning of Owney's travels on Mail Trains all over the country and his chance to make hundreds of new friends.

As he traveled, "baggage tags" were fixed to his co

Published November 1st 2003 by Great Plains (first published September 2003)

To ask other readers questions about A Lucky Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Lucky Dog

Logan
I read this to Logan years ago, but he didn't enjoy it. I think maybe we didn't even finish it. But he pulled it out last night and we had a good time reading it. He was surprised it was non-fiction and also surprised that anyone would let their dog just travel around be rail and steamer alone like that! I would have liked it to have some real photos of Owney at the end. We looked them up and it made it a lot more real to see them.

One interesting tidbit we found was that Owney was "stuffed" as m
Sam Willis
A true story about a stray dog that became the USPS mascot and travelled around the world. It's quite informative and explains the railroad system and how mail was delivered back in the 1890s. This would be great for kids that love animals or are interested in trains. The pictures were detailed and provide a lot for the younger kids to look at.
Lisa
Owney was the mascot of the Postal Seervice, riding the trains and protecting the mail in the late 1800s. This picturebook tells his story.
Corbin
Feb 19, 2009 Corbin added it
This is a cool short book about a dog that dilivers things.He travels on a train and gives people good luck. He's the best on the whole train and has one gold meadles because he's so good at his job.
Brenna
Cute and a good story, but I felt that the telling of it had holes and left something to be desired. Good concept, but could have been executed better.
PWRL
Julie
Julie added it
Sep 16, 2014
Joy Lane
Joy Lane marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
Emily
Emily added it
Oct 23, 2013
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2013
Aubrey Scott
Aubrey Scott marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2013
민정 공
민정 공 marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2013
Raven
Raven marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2012
Erin
Erin added it
Jul 22, 2011
Jack London's Dog Twice a Hero: The Stories Of Thaddeus Kosciuszko And Casimir Pulaski: Polish American Heroes of the American Revolution The Further Adventures of a Lucky Dog: Owney, U.S. Rail Mail Mascot Penny House The Secret Heart of Numbers: A Meditation in Words and Pictures