Start by marking “The Journal of Henry D. Thoreau: In Fourteen Volumes Bound as Two: Vols. I–VII (1837–October, 1855)” as Want to Read:

The Journal of Henry D. Thoreau: In Fourteen Volumes Bound as Two: Vols. I–VII (The Journal of Henry D.Thoreau)

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  15 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Deluxe hardcover edition! Volume 1 of the complete reprint of the journals covers the years 1837 to 1855. A major document in 19th-century American literature, the journals are sourcebooks for many Thoreau works including "Walden." Hundreds of entries on birds, flowers, nature, philosophical topics. An extraordinary record of Thoreau's life and thought.
Published June 1st 1962 by Dover Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Journal of Henry D. Thoreau, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Journal of Henry D. Thoreau

Rift Vegan
I spent my summer of unemployment reading this volume which includes Thoreau's Journals 1 through 7 of 14 total. I loved reading it, not having to keep track of a plot. Immersing myself in his observations, I would get confused as to what season it actually was outside! ha.
Robert
I read through return of the galley proofs in 1854. A truly amazing book, full of insight and interesting observations. I read the Dover Edition of 1962, edited by Torrey and Allen.
Daniel Evans
scatter-brained
Christophe A. L.
Christophe A. L. marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
André Santos
André Santos marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Nguyenhunghai
Nguyenhunghai marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Priyanka Kamra
Priyanka Kamra marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Gritshelme
Gritshelme marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Larry Steele
Larry Steele marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
William Ostrem
William Ostrem marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Heath
Heath marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Llw
Llw marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2013
Andy
Andy marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2013
Colin
Colin marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2013
Marwa Arafa
Marwa Arafa marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2013
Elyse
Elyse marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2013
Darrol Pierson
Darrol Pierson marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2013
Joshua
Joshua marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2013
Pat Greenwell
Pat Greenwell marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2012
Pierre Axel
Pierre Axel marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2012
Nina Eldridge
Nina Eldridge is currently reading it
Oct 22, 2012
Ryan
Ryan added it
Oct 11, 2012
Henry David Thoreau (born David Henry Thoreau)was an American author, naturalist, transcendentalist, tax resister, development critic, philosopher, and abolitionist who is best known for Walden, a reflection upon simple living in natural surroundings, and his essay, Civil Disobedience, an argument for individual resistance to civil government in moral opposition to an unjust state.

Thoreau's books,
More about Henry David Thoreau...

The Journal of Henry D.Thoreau (2 books)
  • The Journal of Henry D. Thoreau: In Fourteen Volumes Bound as Two: Vols. VIII–XIV (November, 1855–1861)
Walden Walden & Civil Disobedience Civil Disobedience and Other Essays (Collected Essays) Walking Walden and Other Writings