Start by marking “Everywhere All the Time: A New Deschooling Reader” as Want to Read:
Everywhere All the Time: A New Deschooling Reader

Everywhere All the Time: A New Deschooling Reader

"If you are an unschooler, this book will be a joyful affirmation ... if you are still a little unclear about the history and philosophy of deschooling, here is a perfect introduction."--Kerlin Richter, Hip Mama

Debates about education often revolve around standardized testing, taxes and funding, teacher certification—everything except how to best help kids develop learnin
Published September 1st 2008 by AK Press

To ask other readers questions about Everywhere All the Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everywhere All the Time

Lorna
Dec 29, 2014 Lorna rated it it was amazing
This has some extreme views against the current western education system and proposes a range of alternatives. Some of the essays are definitely too 'way out' for me but this book has certainly made me think about education, challenged some of my long held views and helped give me a wider perspective on parenting and growing and learning. Refreshing and very interesting, there is much here to chew on and come back to.
Leif
Jan 27, 2011 Leif rated it really liked it
I know the title of this sounds like whatever the opposite of a barrel of monkeys is, fun-wise. But if you are interested in an alternative, seemingly radical exploration of what it means to educate a child, this book is quite the eye-opener and challenger of conventional popular American educational theory and practice.
Of particular interest (to me anyway) are the essays "The Public School Nightmare: Why Fix a System Designed to Destroy Individual Thought?" by John Taylor Gatto, and "Learning?
Brimate
Sep 28, 2008 Brimate rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: teachers, educators, students, parents, anti-school folks
Shelves: anarchism, teaching
This is a great collection of essays from different times and cultures about alternatives to mainstream schooling and education. It provides discussions of a whole range of educational possibilities, from learning/resource centers to anarchistic alternative schools to homeschooling to schools/homes for refugees and orphans.

It is nice to have a reminder that I am not alone as an educator opposed to mainstream schooling, and that there are alternatives out there. Also, as a future parent who may
Owen
Jan 28, 2009 Owen rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book. There were a lot of the ideas that I disagreed with and a few that I actually found pretty frustrating (teachers "taking advantage of children for their own financial gain"? Really?!). But, either way, it was really interesting to read and definitely made me reconsider the real value of traditional, compulsory schooling.
justin stepney
Dec 21, 2008 justin stepney rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone - specially people with or thinkin bout havin kids
Recommended to justin by: ak press
very cool book all should read! many different thoughts and opinions on the school system and alternative schooling options out there, from people involved, the kids that go/have gone, and on and on. many great things i want to remember from this book..inspiring!
Matt Dearmon
Matt Dearmon rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2017
Megan
Megan rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2009
Abbey Volcano
Abbey Volcano rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2009
Peter
Peter rated it really liked it
May 07, 2013
Zachary
Zachary rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2013
Shannon
Shannon rated it did not like it
May 13, 2010
Polaris
Polaris rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2014
Emily
Dec 19, 2010 Emily rated it really liked it
Liked the premise and not all the language.
Sophie
Sophie rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2011
Raquel E
Raquel E rated it did not like it
Nov 13, 2013
Phillip
Phillip rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2012
Muammer Kiper
Muammer Kiper rated it liked it
Nov 26, 2016
Ashley S
Ashley S rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2015
Chris Hawk
Chris Hawk rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2015
Sam Kroll
Sam Kroll rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2015
Randall
Randall rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2010
Carol
Carol rated it it was ok
Feb 21, 2013
Yedei
Yedei rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2011
Libby
Libby rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2014
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2017
Emily Payne
Emily Payne rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2013
Jim
Jim rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2013
Mirza  Sultan-Galiev
Mirza Sultan-Galiev rated it it was ok
Nov 14, 2010
Kālikā
Kālikā rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2015
Jonah Meyer
Jonah Meyer rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2010