Start by marking “Peaceful Piggy Meditation” as Want to Read:

Peaceful Piggy Meditation

How do young piggies find a peaceful place in a frustrating world? They meditate. They find a quiet spot, a special place with a few simple things, and just breathe. Full color.
Published January 1st 2004 by Albert Whitman & Company

To ask other readers questions about Peaceful Piggy Meditation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peaceful Piggy Meditation

Rachael
Jan 30, 2016 Rachael rated it really liked it
Peaceful Piggy Meditation

As demonstrated by little pigs, this book depicts common scenarios that often frustrate children. Whether they’re angry, sad, or just having a bad day they are shown there is a way they can still find tranquility. This tranquility can be found through meditation and in turn will help them cope with the difficult times that life may through their way. The book goes on the explain just how great of an impact meditation can have on our busy lives.

This book was very wise in
Rachel
Dec 30, 2015 Rachel rated it it was amazing
A wonderful introduction to the importance of meditation or, if that's too much of a "new-age" vibe for some, the need to take time out for oneself and refocus. In a world that is rapidly becoming BusyBusyBusy with technology and other exciting gadgets, many children don't know how to turn things off - including themselves. This picture book illustrates the importance of becoming a "peaceful piggy" and how meditation can take a variety of forms. The benefits, however, are that it can bring you i ...more
Champaign Public Library
Aug 27, 2016 Champaign Public Library rated it it was amazing
Shelves: staff-recommends
Recommended by Samantha P.

Gorgeous paintings and a simple story about the hectic, and sometimes frustrating life of a couple of pink piggies teaches us the meaning, purpose, and practice of meditation.
This book is a great idea and was very well written. It is clear enough for even the littlest piggies to understand.
At the end, the author offers tips on creating a special place to relax and foster successful mediation practices for children and families.The "mind-in-a-jar experiment" illustrates,
Sylvie
Aug 16, 2014 Sylvie rated it liked it
I purchased this to read to my elementary music students because I am trying to integrate mindfulness and mindfulness practices into my teaching methods.

I am a bit disappointed by the book because I think it is better suited to families with spiritual inclinations and am afraid that my particular population of students might find it silly, alienating, or easy to make fun of.

However, I am still going to try it and see what happens. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Perhaps I will not get the rea
Cassandra
Jul 29, 2015 Cassandra rated it liked it
I like several things about this book. It talks about finding a quiet place to meditate in order to find more peace in life. I think it can be great for toddlers because it mentions specific things in their environment that may cause feelings of frustration or anger and suggests taking a break to breathe and calm down. It also promotes daily meditation to encourage a positive self-image and confidence in doing what is right.

There are also a few things I did not like. It shows another piggy using
Tamar
Jan 31, 2009 Tamar rated it really liked it
This book first caught my eye because my daughter loves pigs and collects all things "Piggy". Next I was drawn in by the beautiful idea of teaching young children a tool for calming themselves down in this crazy, fast paced world, in which we always seem to be telling the little fellows to "hurry up!" Weather you meditate, pray, practice yoga, all or none of the above, there is a wonderful message to be found here about taking a few moments to enjoy some peace in a modern world that asks us to a ...more
Samantha Penrose
Gorgeous paintings and a simple story about the hectic and sometimes frustrating life of a couple of pink piggies teaches us the meaning, purpose, and practice of meditation.
This book is a great idea and was very well written...it is clear enough for even the littlest piggies to understand. At the end, the author offers tips for successful meditation for children and families, tips on creating a special place to meditate, and even gives you the "mind-in-a-jar experiment" to illustrate in a concr
Emily
Mar 22, 2015 Emily rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book explaining the benefits of meditation (and mindfulness) to children. The exercise idea at the end of the book is very powerful for children, and the author includes a great page for parents and adults for pausing with their children for 5 or 10 minutes everyday to meditate.
Noelle
Jan 17, 2015 Noelle rated it did not like it
My six year old did not like this story because 1) the topic of being peaceful was boring to him; 2) the illustrations were also about being peaceful things; and 3) it was not very exciting and didn't have an adventures.
Suzanne
May 19, 2011 Suzanne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-ten
WONDERFUL BOOK! This book was instrumental in taming my daughter's temper tantrums. I can tell her to take a few deep breaths and find her peaceful piggy and she calms down. Sometimes it takes a little more, maybe taking her hand and sitting with her, but we practice meditating together.

We breathe in happy thoughts (and share them - it is amazing what you learn about your child through their happy thoughts) and breathe out our sad/mad/angry thoughts (ditto). I can also talk to her about her abo
Michelle
Apr 06, 2015 Michelle rated it really liked it
This was a very cute and creatively drawn book.The pigs were adorable.The way the ideas about meditation are presented was easy to understand and likable for kids and adults alike.
Jessica Romick
Apr 29, 2016 Jessica Romick rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
The examples given of everyday things that cause children to struggle were spot on. Her language was very calming and easily understood by my 5 year old. Loved it.
Leona
Jan 29, 2015 Leona rated it it was amazing
this is a great book to teach kids how to self-calm and seek and value inner peace--crucial for kids who are always plugged in.
Jenny Marie
Jun 16, 2014 Jenny Marie rated it it was amazing
Amazing book, purchased for my son and fell in love with it! My new bad day go to book for the entire family <3
Catherine Balck
May 24, 2015 Catherine Balck rated it really liked it
Another great way to introduce kids to meditation. Nice text and lovely illustrations.
Ellen
Dec 21, 2015 Ellen rated it it was amazing
Every child living in today's hectic world should listen to/read this book.
Melody
Oct 17, 2015 Melody rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
I love the idea of this book more than the execution.

It's a book about why to meditate and how to meditate, rather than a guided meditation.
Kate Nielsen
Jun 30, 2014 Kate Nielsen rated it it was amazing
Great book to teach kiddos on how to meditate. I love it!!
Samantha
Review to come soon!
Alex
Jan 06, 2010 Alex rated it it was amazing
This book tackles tough concepts (meditation, a 'quiet mind', being nice to our friends and enemies,-- to name a few) in a simple enough manner for my three-year-old to understand and grow but with enough depth for me to be reminded that peacefulness comes from the inside. I foresee us reading this book for many years and applying difference aspects that he's too young for currently.
Maleka
May 04, 2008 Maleka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Me and Teora took this out from the Friends Library, recommended by our librarian friend. It is so good. Perfect introduction to meditation for kids- it's not corny, just the right balance of information and narrative, cute pictures, and easy-to-understand dialogue. My daughter loves it and so do I.
Principle Based Learning
Teaches how to relax and regroup even when things are too busy, or don’t go the way you like.
~Ashley B

Click here for the full article on: More Than Just Fairytales
Julie
May 29, 2015 Julie rated it really liked it
My kids really enjoyed this book and I have found them sitting peacefully numerous times trying to "meditate" since reading it to them. Speaks well to young children in terms that are meaningful and understandable.
Jovita
Aug 11, 2013 Jovita rated it it was amazing
I checked this one out at the library and fell in love. It's great advice for children (and everyone). This book should be in every classroom and in every home.
Richard Kramer
Dec 20, 2014 Richard Kramer rated it it was amazing
Our six-year-old grandson took to this book at first sight. This could be the start of something very good in his life now and in years to come.
Ann Williams
Apr 19, 2012 Ann Williams rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-everyone
A great introduction to meditation for beginning yogis. A staple in my RCY classes. A piggy who knows how to meditate is a wise piggy!
Marion
Feb 13, 2014 Marion rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrensbooks
Good, fun, kid-friendly introduction into meditation and peacefulness.
Christine
Oct 22, 2011 Christine rated it really liked it
Peaceful piggies play nice. I aspire to be like the peaceful piggies in this book—super cute introduction to meditation.
Heather
Feb 21, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012-read, children, own
Excellent book to begin meditation with your child. My son loves the illustrations and the breathing exercises!
Jessica
Aug 23, 2010 Jessica rated it really liked it
Loved it. I need to start meditating every day. Definitely going to read this one aloud....
  • Buddha at Bedtime: Tales of Love and Wisdom for You to Read with Your Child to Enchant, Enlighten and Inspire
  • Anh's Anger
  • Yucky Worms
  • Maybe Days: A Book for Children in Foster Care
  • Sleepyheads
  • My Daddy Is a Pretzel
  • Sitting Still Like a Frog: Mindfulness Exercises for Kids (and Their Parents)
  • Elmer and Rose
  • Spike, the Mixed-up Monster
  • When I Feel Angry (The Way I Feel Books)
  • Bob and Flo