Start by marking “An Unconventional Family” as Want to Read:
An Unconventional Family

An Unconventional Family

In 1965, when psychologists Sandra and Daryl Bem met and married, they were determined to function as truly egalitarian partners and also to raise their children in accordance with gender-liberated, anti-homophobic, and sex-positive feminist ideals. During the next ten years, they exuberantly shared the details of their daily lives in both public lectures and the mass medi ...more
Published October 11th 1998 by Yale University Press

To ask other readers questions about An Unconventional Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Unconventional Family

Lindsey
Aug 07, 2010 Lindsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cannot really describe the impact this book had on my ideas of gender and parenthood. I read it for class when I was pregnant with my first baby and it kind of blew my world apart in the best way.
Susan Merrell
May 31, 2015 Susan Merrell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Found this brief memoir incredibly interesting, not simply in light of Bem's suicide, but in terms of her entire life. I studied with her at Cornell when I was an undergrad, and had no idea how young she was, nor how new were the ideas and theories she was wrestling with.
Yes, there are problems with it from a writer's point of view--structural problems and problems that I can only term issues of emotional honesty, although Bem is quite clear that she is aware of the latter. But overall, so worth
Josie
Jul 06, 2012 Josie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I give this a 3.5

Clearly takes place in the context of the '70s, but I really appreciated the author's approach to an egalitarian marriage and how to raise her children in a home free of gender stereotypes. I'm not sure I would go so far as to want to encourage my kid to be androgynous, but this book does give me a lot to think about as a wife and mother.
Mariah Burton Nelson
Amazing candid story of a radical feminist experiment by my favorite Stanford professor.
Joseph
Dec 30, 2016 Joseph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
[3.5 stars]

A fascinating, if dated and pre-theoretical, attempt at describing egalitarian relationships and child-rearing. Mostly autobiographical, with a bit of theory that seemed to focus mostly on the idea that gender abolitionism meant a kind of androgyny even while retaining a naïve biological essentialism. In short, the Drs. Bem sought to have an egalitarian relationship which saw minimal-to-nonexistent division of labor, and to raise children as free as possible from obligate gender roles
Speeda
Jan 03, 2010 Speeda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sandra Bem attempts to detail her egalitarian relationship with her husband, and their subsequent feminist, anti-homophobic rearing of their children, slightly ahead of the last feminist wave.

For me, the book falls short in two places: one, it doesn't go into very much detail about how the couple's relationship was "egalitarian", except to say that they both agreed they wouldn't do the chores they couldn't hire someone else to do unless they really needed to be done, and then they would split t
Jessica Nowinski
Jul 13, 2009 Jessica Nowinski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The first half goes through a personal history and discusses mostly their "egalitarian marriage," which was surely revolutionary at the time but is close to what many of us live now. You don't need to read it to get the second, really interesting half of the book which discusses their "gender neutral" child rearing philosophy and practices. It's really interesting to see how they were successful and unanticipated issues. The interviews at the end with the were very interesting.
Cary
Jul 29, 2015 Cary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps this book isn't for everyone, but to get a window in to the life of one of my most memorable college professors was a huge treat. I was transfixed then by her very public "experiment" in living a gender-non conforming life. My only disappointment, and it's a big one, is that the book didn't give details of the life she created for herself after her marriage dissolved.
Jamie
Jun 05, 2010 Jamie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was really interesting to go along with this author and her former husband on their journey to raise a family together as gender pioneers. I'd like to read The Lenses of Gender as well.
Kelly
Apr 14, 2013 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this as part of a research project in Psychology 101. I enjoyed the insight of gender neutral child rearing.
Tz348
a prominent thinker has a life too
it's not too unconventional at all at the end of the day
Joanna
Sep 08, 2010 Joanna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
didn't finish the book. she thinks she is really important. i don't deny the fact that she is and has something to say, but good grief.
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2008
Alyx
Alyx rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2007
Jane
Jane rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2015
Jill
Jill rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2012
Miri
Miri rated it really liked it
May 10, 2013
Melinda
Melinda rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2015
Caitlin
Caitlin rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2015
Virginia
Virginia rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2012
Nancy
Nancy rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2014
Kim Elsesser
Kim Elsesser rated it liked it
Dec 09, 2014
Elana
Elana rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2010
Jessie
Jessie rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2013
Amy Farrington
Amy Farrington rated it it was ok
Jan 26, 2010
Gabi
Gabi rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2013
Lara
Lara rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2017
Emma Jo
Emma Jo rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2014
Paige
Paige rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2013
Agnė
Agnė rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Sandra Ruth Lipsitz Bem was an American psychologist known for her works in androgyny and gender studies. Her pioneering work on gender roles, gender polarization and gender stereotypes led directly to more equal employment opportunities for women in the United States.

Bem and her husband Daryl Bem took the public by storm with their revolutionary concept of egalitarian marriage. The husband-wife t
More about Sandra Lipsitz Bem...