Hacker

Hacker

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  821 ratings  ·  46 reviews
MESSAGE: This is the system operator. Who is using this account? Please identify yourself . . .

When Vicky's father is arrested, accused of stealing over a million pounds from the bank where he works, she is determined to prove his innocence. But how? There's only one way - to attempt to break into the bank's computer files.

Even if Vicky is the best hacker in the world, wil...more
Published February 5th 2004 by Corgi Childrens (first published March 19th 1992)

Alison
Hacker opens with Vicky and the rest of her Year 8 class (including her adopted brother Gib and his annoying friend Chaucy) waiting to take a Maths exam. Inside the exam hall Vicky notices several people cheating, including her friend Maggie. Vicky has a programmable calculator, and writes a programme to work out interior and exterior angles and areas of shapes. Unfortunately since she finishes her exam in 20 minutes instead of two hours, her teacher assumes that she is the hacker that stole the...more
Salwa
This book is amazing and Malorie Blackman inspires me a lot. This book had a surprising twist to it that made me even doubt my own family just like pretty little liars and prison break.
Simon Taylor
Malorie Blackman’s classic Hacker got itself another whirl this week. Told through the eyes of schoolgirl and amateur programmer Victoria, we hear of her father’s supposedly wrongful arrest for stealing £1million from the bank at which he works. Victoria and her adoptive brother set about trying to unmask the real culprit to exonerate their dad.

There’s an awful lot right with this book. Bearing in mind the target audience, the plot is clever. Although simplistic, the obligatory red herrings are...more
Farah Morsi
A great book and such an amazing story!
I got taught a great life lesson from it- that Patience is great and to never trust everyone!
Also, I learnt more vocab. :)
Thank you to the amazing writer Malorie Blackman, Im looking forward to read more of her books.
Emma
I actually didn't mind this book all that much, there was nothing special about it, but nothing terrible about it either! Overall, a nice, easy read.
Anya
This was a very short at only 200 pages, but caters and plays to its young target audience with its dramas, family troubles and over-the-top attitude that EVERYTHING IS MY FAULT! Oh yeah, I remember that stage of my teens! So, Victoria's father works at a bank and just after her first exam of the season, he is arrested for stealing money. She and her family know he can't have done so, so Victoria, with her computer skills, goes about proving his innocence.

A short but sweet story of a young teen...more
Faye {Daydreaming_Star}
Let me first off start this interview with a lot of gushing. Malorie Blackman is, and probably always will be, one of my favourite authors of all time. There seems to be nothing that she cannot write and she always does it with brilliant efficiency, and Hacker is no exception. If I had read this book when I was younger, I believe that my three stars would definitely have been closer to four, or even five stars because this book caters to the younger audiences extremely well. Her writing style fl...more
Michaela Johnson-
Hacker by Malorie Blackman

‘Hacker’ by Malorie Blackman is the story of a young girl Victoria, whose father is accused of stealing a million pounds from the bank he works at. Vicky and her adopted brother Gibb do not usually get on, like most siblings, but with Vicky’s knowledge in computer systems and Gibb’s passion to clear his dads’ name the race is on for the teens to figure how the money got into his account.

Vicky had always been interested in computer systems and programming so her dad had...more
Amy
I reviewed this on my blog as part of Malorie Blackman month- during March 2013 reviews are of books by her- click here for them all- you can see the GIF's that aren't included in the review on goodreads!

Who can resist the apprehension that comes with HACKER? Unlike ANTIDOTE (which I thought it'd be similar to) it has its laughs and probably is aimed at slightly older as it was deeper and more emotional. So I wouldn't give my first impressions a gold star, or any star for that matter! I presumed...more
H.G. Sansostri
'Hacker' will not entertain you nor bore you.

I thought at the beginning this book was boring, or the metaphorically 'without colour', because it seemed that a thriller novel would have more excitement and mystery to it. This book was about two kids who are basically solving a mystery like 'Scooby-Doo!'
No offence to Malorie Blackman as she is a very good author, I personally didn't enjoy or cherish the moment when I first opened 'Hacker'. I use the word Cherish as I love to read and write.

I have...more
Miriam
A dissapointingly juuvenile book out of such a talented author. Waste of time, with a boring, and predictable plot. A tangle of mis-matched emotions, merged with a dissapointing vocabulary.
Andy Bird
Let me say that this is not rubbish, but i had to give it a 2 because a; it is quite dated and b; it is very cliche. It is on the younger side of young adult which i was not expecting from Blackman (having read Naughts and Crosses). The 'hacker' title also led me to expect something a bit more interesting, however the title should be taken with quite a pinch of salt particularly as technology has moved on a lot. I also thought the end was very sudden and didn't rap up some of the cliche issues v...more
Asiya
Mar 19, 2014 Asiya added it
this was so intresting and amazing to reas
Jaz
Omg memories! :D
Labibah Safdar

Vicky's father gets arrested he gets accused of putting 1 million pounds in his bank account at the bank that he works at. Vicky really wants to find the real thief; she wants to prove her father's innocence. She hacks the bank system and tries to find the real thief and she actually finds them.
Nicola Muzsla
Interesting plot, struggled through the last thrty-odd pages because I got bored. Definitely for the younger reader. At 18 I felt like the main character was very immature and couldn't relate (although she is about 12 in the book) Not a bad quick read overall though.
Amy
I loved every moment in this book. At the start I wondered what twist Malorie Blackman was going to put in as I know she is an amazing author. It worked really well and I could easily picture evry scene in my mine. Loved it!
☯Bettie☯

3* Mr Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore
TR Hacker

#44 tbr busting 2013
soph
I must say I envy Malorie Blackman every day more, but sadly I can't rate this book as much as I'd want to.
She wrote better ones later on, let's face it. I didn't hate it, in fact I actually liked parts of it.
Joanna Eaton
Loved this book, another amazing book by malorie blackman. I read this about 2 years ago but still remember it. It was so interesting and i really liked it. It was really exiting and i would reccomend it.
Mars
I loved this book! The whole plot was ingenious and very realistic. I've actually learnt so many things about programming and banks, and hacking"! I love Malorie Blackman, she wrote an excellent book.
Zainab
I absolutely love this book! It builds a lot of suspense and is so hooking. This is my favourite book written by Malorie Blackman. She is one of my entirely adored authors. This book is a must read.
Jamal Hadjkura
"Hackers" with its plot involving detective work and action. This is a very good book that keeps you interested all the way through the book never a dell moment arises. Well done Malorie Blackman
Megan
Nov 14, 2012 Megan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Megan by: school
I thought the book was astonishing, it was the best book I have ever read in my life. My favorite part was That's my brother. Sometimes he can be a right snot-rag and a half.
Lulu
The book was really interesting, I just like the way it was written and the way the story was told.Some how I really like it :) I do recommend other to read it...
Hamna Shahid
Apart from The Hunger Games this is an epic and my Favourite book 5 stars and 500 Hugs to Malorie Blackman . Hats off for an amazing mystery :)
Annie
It was ok but no way near malorie blackmans best, was quite hooking but didnt grip me as much as noughts and crosses
U.S. ‘HACKER’ CRACKDOWN SPARKS DEBATE OVER COMPUTER-FRAUD LAW 1 3 Mar 21, 2013 02:44AM
  • Back Home
  • (Un)arranged Marriage
  • The Secret of Killimooin (The Secret Series, #4)
  • Girls in Tears (Girls, #4)
  • The Truth about Celia Frost
  • The Worst Witch Strikes Again (Worst Witch, #2)
  • The Steps Up the Chimney (The Magician's House Quartet, #1)
  • Looking for JJ (Jennifer Jones, #1)
  • The Diddakoi
  • Losing the Plot (Angels Unlimited, #2)
  • More Horowitz Horror
  • Prisoner of the Inquisition
  • Blood Ties (Blood Ties, #1)
An award-winning children's author, Malorie Blackman was honoured with an OBE in 2008. Her work has been adapted for TV and stage.

More information available at:
Myspace
British Council: Contemporary Authors
British Council: Encompass Culture
Channel 4 Learning: Book Box
More about Malorie Blackman...
Noughts & Crosses (Noughts & Crosses, #1) Knife Edge (Noughts & Crosses, #2) Checkmate (Noughts & Crosses, #3) Double Cross (Noughts & Crosses, #4) Boys Don't Cry