Start by marking “Zombie Movies: The Ultimate Guide” as Want to Read:
Zombie Movies: The Ultimate Guide

Zombie Movies: The Ultimate Guide

From 1932's White Zombie to George A. Romero's 2008 release Diary of the Dead this thorough, uproarious guide traces the evolution of one of horror cinema's most popular and terrifying creations. Fans will learn exactly what makes a zombie a zombie, go behind the scenes with a chilling production diary from Land of the Dead, peruse a bizarre list of the oddest things ever ...more
Published October 1st 2008 by Chicago Review Press

To ask other readers questions about Zombie Movies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zombie Movies

Easy Riders, Raging Bulls by Peter BiskindHitchcock by François TruffautPictures at a Revolution by Mark  HarrisThe Great Movies by Roger EbertAdventures in the Screen Trade by William Goldman
Books ABOUT Movies
29th out of 432 books — 169 voters
World War Z by Max BrooksThe Zombie Survival Guide by Max BrooksThe Walking Dead, Vol. 01 by Robert KirkmanFeed by Mira GrantPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith
Zombies!
235th out of 1,416 books — 3,956 voters

More lists with this book...

Todd Stockslager
Jun 05, 2015 Todd Stockslager rated it really liked it
Shelves: pop-culture
Kay's A-to-Zombie encyclopedia traces the history of zombies from their start with 1932's "White Zombie", and lists every zombie movie ever made. And boy have there been some stinkers in this genre.

978-0-306-81566-9, a similar effort to list the best B-movies, a category of which most zombie movies would be a part, includes only two zombies: "I Walked with a Zombie" (1943) and "Tales from the Crypt" (1972).

While most zombies through the 1960s have at least some touch-point with the historical z
Matthew Baker
Oct 22, 2012 Matthew Baker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok, zombie fans...put down that DVD player remote and check this out: I have found a Must Have book for you! ZOMBIE MOVIES: THE ULTIMATE GUIDE (2nd edition) is an exhaustively comprehensive look into the history and cultivation of the zombie movie genre. Within these pages are the culmination of hours and hours of research and legwork, and the result is an amazing guide to the dead in cinema. Go ahead and jot this title down because I guarantee that you’ll want this book.

Whether you are a casual
Eric
Feb 15, 2013 Eric rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
I'm a big fan of zombie movies, so it makes sense that I would devour any reference guides for said films. I already have a bunch, and when a new one comes about, or a new-ish one, as this was published a few years ago, I want to add it to the collection.

As you can imagine, one of the perils of that is that there are so many ways to go over the same information again and again. Unfortunately, this book suffers from comparison to other, better works in the same field. The informal tone doesn't h
Brian
Sep 24, 2008 Brian added it
Shelves: film
I want to like this book SO BAD, if for no other reason than I've yet to see anything that is so incredibly comprehensive. Kay's reviews aren't anything to go nuts about, but maybe i'm more partial to the passion & vitriol of Chas Balun. The problem I have with this book is Kay's unfortunate positive review for Romero's 2008 "Diary of the Dead". For me, this is pretty much a dealer breaker in terms of Kay having much credibility. Anyone who claims to be a Romero fan, let alone a zombie fan, ...more
Lindy Loo
Oct 27, 2008 Lindy Loo rated it it was amazing
This book was missing a few notables: namely BLACK SHEEP (about zombie sheep) and SHIVERS (which should've been included in the section on movies that were SORTA zombie movies), but otherwise, totally worth checking out. Organizes the movies by era. Devotes several pages to more noteworthy zombie flicks like NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD. Includes some fascinating facts, such as the reason that NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD is now public domain. Has a good, quick-access review system. And offers their Top ...more
Dawn
Nov 06, 2008 Dawn rated it liked it
I read most of this book. I love zombie movies and set out to read this from cover to cover; however, about mid way through, I lost the drive to finish. The beginning was interesting since it covered the origin of the zombie movie and reviewed a lot of old black and white films that I sought out and rented but I started to lose interest when it got into the Asian zombie movies and the more recent zombie movies that I had already seen (very recently).

For a casual zombie movie fan, this is a good
Xexets
Oct 31, 2011 Xexets rated it really liked it
I decided to read this book as I wish to engage in scholarly research related to zombies and contemporary theories of the body/embodiment, etc.
This is just what you need if you want a detailed but very readable compendium of all the movies on zombies. The timeline is particularly useful, with clear cut periods that make very understandable the evolution of the interest in the genre and the different perspectives from which it has been represented.
The marks that the author gave to the films are u
John
Oct 20, 2008 John rated it liked it
As an introduction to the genre, I suppose it's adequate; more comprehensive, at least, than previous books on the topic. But I would have liked more about the societal reflections on the genre; Kay talks about what social implications (or lack thereof) exist in certain movies, but doesn't go into the why part. And certain films are relegated to capsule reviews while other, sometimes inferior, movies get the full treatment.
Terence
Feb 21, 2012 Terence rated it liked it
Shelves: apocalypse, film
This is an alright book, somewhat not as in depth as others and the top 25 at the end is a bit obnoxious. Not many surprises but perhaps the canon of Zombie films is tired, in many cases the author starts reaching for what are clearly not zombie films, but after a while it gets tiring having excuses. There will eventually be a less fanboy book on Zombie films. One day.
Brian Sammons
Sep 26, 2012 Brian Sammons rated it really liked it
This is for the upcoming 2nd Edition. I found this to be a very comprehensive and fun book. My full review of this can be found here: http://horrorworld.org/hw/2012/09/zom... But for a quick and dirty review: if you love zombie flicks then you should probably get this book.
James
Jan 20, 2009 James rated it it was amazing
this sure was a fun read. I especially liked the author's rating system and the interview with fulci's daughter. and the poster gallery is pretty cool too. happy he included Let Sleeping Corpses Lie and The Beyond, 2 of my favorites.
Glenn
Oct 27, 2008 Glenn rated it liked it
If you, like me, believe that almost any film can benefit from the conceit of the recently deceased returning to life to feed on the living, this book should be your bible.
Guillermo
Oct 09, 2012 Guillermo rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All Zombie Fans
Recommended to Guillermo by: The Editor
If you are a Zombies Fan, it is a MUST HAVE!
Check my Full Review here
John Cozzoli
Oct 10, 2012 John Cozzoli rated it really liked it
Concise reviews, lots of movies arranged chronologically. A solid reference for any zombie-movie lover.
Luis Jelenszky
Luis Jelenszky rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2016
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
ZW
ZW marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Anthony Tomassi
Anthony Tomassi rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2016
Andrew Vickers
Andrew Vickers marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Andres F.
Andres F. rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2016
Annemarie Miceli
Annemarie Miceli is currently reading it
Sep 08, 2016
Elaine
Elaine marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
Paul Hawthorne
Paul Hawthorne rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2016
Savanna
Savanna marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2016
Joo
Joo marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
GabbieDewolfe
GabbieDewolfe marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Casandra Houk
Casandra Houk marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Brad Marcozzi
Brad Marcozzi rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2016
Chandel
Chandel marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
  • Film Noir: An Encyclopedic Reference to the American Style
  • Zombies for Zombies: Advice and Etiquette for the Living Dead
  • The Mammoth Book of Zombies
  • The Psychotronic Encyclopedia of Film
  • Showgirls, Teen Wolves, and Astro Zombies: A Film Critic's Year-Long Quest to Find the Worst Movie Ever Made
  • Make Your Own Damn Movie!: Secrets of a Renegade Director
  • Night of the Living Dead: Behind the Scenes of the Most Terrifying Zombie Movie Ever
  • Dawn of the Dead