Start by marking “Hacker Cracker: A Journey from the Mean Streets of Brooklyn to the Frontiers of Cyberspace” as Want to Read:

Ejovi Nuwere was born into poverty in the Bedford Stuyvesant neighborhood of Brooklyn. Raised by his grandmother, his extended family included two uncles who served as role models: one a career criminal, the other a college student with a PC he loaned to his nephew. By the time he was 13, Ejovi had become a computer expert -- a gifted hacker with a talent that propelled hi ...more
Published December 31st 2002 by William Morrow & Company

To ask other readers questions about Hacker Cracker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hacker Cracker

Mocha Girl
Oct 20, 2009 Mocha Girl rated it it was ok
As the full title suggests, Ejovi Nuwere's Hacker Cracker: A Journey from the Mean Streets of Brooklyn to the Frontiers of Cyberspace is a coming of age story of a boy as he physically, emotionally and intellectually matures. He witnesses his mother slowly succumb to AIDS related complications, battles with the inner city street gangs, deals with family drama, and yields to unrelenting peer pressure. At one point in his young life, he attempts suicide and spends time in a mental ward. He shares ...more
Gwen
Sep 14, 2011 Gwen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe I liked this cause I always wanted to learn how to hack and never did, but Nuwere's voice is also simply very engaging. You feel like he's talking to you, explaining things as you get that funny look on your face that says you don't understand. He's had a incredible life, doing what he wants and coming a long way so I can't help but be slightly jealous. But while his journey is interesting, the book fails to come to a conclusion. I think it does in his head, but I can't follow it. Granted, ...more
Ava Bigalke
Sep 16, 2016 Ava Bigalke rated it liked it
This book was pretty good in my opinion. It is very descriptive about the conditions they live in. I like that it is easy to read, as in the context was written well and also simple. One thing I did not like about the book is that there was far more inappropriate language then i thought there would be. I do like how it was a true story and how it was so realistic. Overall, for me this book was very good.
Dan
Jul 23, 2007 Dan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: hacker wannabes, computer security professionals, high school kids interested in computers
This is an autobiography about a kid growing up in poverty and teaching himself computer skills to become a skilled computer security expert.

It's like a true life version of the movie Hackers without Angelina Jolie and all the stupid bogus movie hacking stuff.

I do not know if this story is true. There is quite a bit of stuff in the book that makes me skeptical. However, that could be details that were just glossed over to make the book more interesting for non technically inclined readers.

Regard
Cindy
Apr 16, 2008 Cindy rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
A nice but all-too-brief glimpse into the hacking world. I'm not sure why this book was shelved near the computer textbooks in the library as it is far more autobiographical than technical. A good chunk of the book is filled with Ejovi's descriptions of his moves during gang fights. Why would the reader care how many times he punched a certain guy in a certain fight while he was growing up? Despite its shortcomings, this book was pleasant to read. But if you're looking for a book on computer sec ...more
Taylor Adair
Jan 13, 2012 Taylor Adair rated it liked it
This book was very good.It started off kinda weird but once i gave it a chance i really got into it. This book really has allot to do with day to day problems that everyone goes through which makes this book even better.I would recommend this book for just about every teenage boy. Has everything from fights to family problems. I really think this book could help some people to handle certain situations that they are having problems with.
Kah731
Aug 05, 2008 Kah731 rated it really liked it
An interesting tale of a young boy from the dark streets of New York City, who starts out as a dark-side-hacker but slowly turns around to wear a white-hat. I grew up near some dark streets of New York City, and also wound up wearing a white-hat in the same field. His Journey was rougher than mine, and I liked how he tell about his life unfolding. I could visualize the scenes, and felt a real coonection.
Ren
Oct 16, 2012 Ren rated it liked it
This memoir is a little bit of hacking, martial arts and growing up on the streets of Brooklyn. Nuwere's life story is entertaining although he at times comes across as a bit arrogant. He held my attention the whole way through, but this is not a book I will read again.
Nina
Jan 08, 2008 Nina rated it liked it
ejovi said he went to asia to meet some hackers there. he said he went to indonesia also...i wonder if that is true...i like the quote from the speech about black and white men, with analogy of a pool game...i think that is pretty cool..
Tama Wise
Jun 08, 2007 Tama Wise rated it liked it
The true story of a street kid who becomes a hacker, a strange enough concept that it grabbed my attention and got me reading. A definate good read.
John Wass
Jun 02, 2008 John Wass rated it liked it
Wanted to give it a four because it an enjoyable, fast read, but as I think about content and style it really on deserves a three.
Victor Martinez
Aug 08, 2011 Victor Martinez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know at least 2 friends that may fill this story... I like a lot, it's like a novel and accessible for non tech people.
Marsmannix
Nov 13, 2012 Marsmannix rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir, politics, science
fascinating lesson in a black man's rise from a horrible environment, culture class, and giftedness.
Theeba
Jan 19, 2009 Theeba rated it really liked it
It was good - nice to see ideas and assumptions about technology broken down.
Dean Jones
Entertaining read, but not exactly a good book.
Jonathan
Feb 02, 2011 Jonathan rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2016
Nancy
Nancy rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2016
Adam Breneman
Adam Breneman marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Patrick Mcneil
Patrick Mcneil rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2016
Andrew Hamilton
Andrew Hamilton rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2016
Billy Anastasiou
Billy Anastasiou rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2016
Mecky
Mecky added it
May 13, 2016
Christopher Sabbatini
Christopher Sabbatini rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2016
Chuan Zhe
Chuan Zhe marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Eli
Eli rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Alex Fernandez-gatti
Alex Fernandez-gatti rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2016