Start by marking “Girl Meets Boy: The Myth of Iphis” as Want to Read:
Girl Meets Boy: The Myth of Iphis

Girl Meets Boy: The Myth of Iphis

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  2,194 ratings  ·  264 reviews
From the astonishingly talented writer of The Accidental and Hotel World comes Ali Smith’s brilliant retelling of Ovid’s gender-bending myth of Iphis and Ianthe, as seen through the eyes of two Scottish sisters. Girl Meets Boy is about girls and boys, girls and girls, love and transformation, and the absurdity of consumerism, as well as a story of reversals and revelations ...more
Published January 6th 2009 by Canongate U.S. (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Girl Meets Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girl Meets Boy

karen
this is not my favorite ali smith, but its charming, and it is better than the other books in this series look. does that make sense? i loved elements of this novella, but some of it seemed a bit pat. her writing is still gorgeous though.
BrokenTune
Review to follow.

This was another great reading experience, but somehow, something keeps it from a 5* rating. And I can't put my finger on why this is.
MJ Nicholls
Another day, another terrific novel from Ali Smith. I have resolved to gobble up her canon in the most heroic time possible, like an overweight man backing a lorryload of curries and waffles into his ecstatic gob. In Glasgow we have a meal called the Everything & More, which is enough food for an entire Ethiopian village in a bucket. Battered.

This delightful story frames the myth of Iphis (woman disguises her daughter as a man, daughter turns into a man later on) within a tale of sexual iden
Abeer Hoque
"Let me tell you about when I was a girl, our grandfather says."

I was hooked by the first line of "Girls Meets Boy" by Ali Smith and had to buy it immediately (from the awesome bookstore, Raven Used Books, in Northampton, MA). GMB is a little book, a modern retelling of the myth of Iphis. Not to worry, the myth is explained both traditionally in poetic old school language and in everyday slang, as well as through the story of two Scottish sisters in modern day Iverness: the brooding smartass lay
Barry Pierce
If this was written by Jodi Picoult or Danielle Steel is would be branded as an "unconventional love story". Thankfully it's written by Ali Smith who has enough brains in her head to write a love story which happens to be unconventional.
Arthur
Uma bela duma introdução à obra de Ali Smith. Não porque seja lá o mais representativo de seus romances, mas porque é fininho pacas e não tem desculpa para não ler. É, também, o mais acessível: centralizado em duas narradoras, apresentadas logo no início do romance, não temos muito aquele estranhamento de nos habituarmos com cada parte nova do livro (como em Hotel Mundo e Suíte em quatro movimentos).

Eu não consigo dar menos de cinco estrelas pra essa mulher. Julguem-me.
Maureen
after i read girl meets boy i realized it was a lot more like what i had expected eugenides' middlesex to be than middlesex actually was. i will definitely read this again, perhaps when more in the mood for a love story, and i'm interested in reading more of ali smith's work.

it is a book that plays out at a break-neck pace, except for the moments where the language is allowed to meander into scenes of poetry and gives one pause in the midst of beauty. there is much to love in ali smith's finesse
Arta
This is the very first novel by Ali Smith I've read and I really enjoyed it. Reading the first sentence I thought it was going to be a story about transgender. I was wrong. LOL.
As the title already suggests, this is a story about a girl meeting a boy, but somehow unconventional because the boy is not quite male. If you are familiar with Ali Smith's writings, you'll know what I mean. *wink*
What I really like about it is the writing style. I thought it was quite poetic. There are no quotations m
Damian
Dec 30, 2007 Damian rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who with a spare six hours
Shelves: reads
now. i read this book in two sittings. it's really rather short. it's a contemporary retelling of the myth of iphis and ianthe, part of ovid's metamorphoses series (Pygmalion, which is the source for my fair lady, is also part of this). and these are the facts. is the book any good? i'm not sure. sometimes, it managed to send me to a world only just different than ours, but somewhat more magical, and at times, it feels clunky. I think what it succeeds or fails on is this - the plot is a bit of a ...more
Beth
Not much to say about the book itself - not one of my favorites. The story dragged quite a bit. But there is one quote that stuck with me:

"Like that poem I knew, about how you sit and read your way through a book then close the book and put it on the shelf, and maybe, life being so short, you'll die before you ever open that book again and its pages, the single pages, shut in the book on the shelf, will maybe never see light again..."

Daniel Simmons
"Nobody grows up mythless, Robin said. It's what we do with the myths we grow up with that matters" (p. 98). An exuberant ode to love and identity, in all its many variations.
Elizabeth
'Things will always be different, because things can always be different'

In the space of the short novel Ali Smith crams much into her light, easy but meaningful prose: gender fluidity, sexism, activism, branding, contemporary Scotland, mythology and duality, always duality of being both and not, so gloriously explored in her latest book, How To Be Both. In more than the narrative of girl meets boy and it's not. A simple story of two sisters, both finding their way, finding love, finding their
C_Musings
Wow, were do I start with this one. It’s a beautifully written reinterpretation of Ovid’s Metamorphoses, transplanted to Scotland.

Dealing with gender fluidity, identity, sexuality, sexism, love, class and culture through some of the most poetic prose I’ve read in a long time. Girl Meets Boy is a well-crafted tale and is a joy to read.

Why has nobody thrust a stack of Ali Smith books into my hands and insisted that I read them sooner?! I look forward to reading more of her work.
Paloma Etienne
Helena
Hmmm. I approve. :3

When you blend Greek mythology with lesbianism, the mix is sure to be enchanting, and this book proves it. Based on the myth of Iphis, this book talks about girls and boys, girls and girls and everything in between. It is written almost entirely in a stream-of-consciousness, which did not bother me in the least, though I tend to be wary of overdoing stream-of-consciousness. It is a celebration of multiplicity, metamorphosis (I'm looking at you, Ovid), lesbianism and feminism.
Laleña
"I had not known, before us, that every vein in my body was capable of carrying light, like a river seen from a train makes a channel of sky etch itself deep into a landscape. I had not really known I could be so much more than myself. I had not known another body could do this to mine." p.81
Michaela
Ali Smith's, Girl Meets Boy, is a postmodernist novella based on a myth from Ovid's Metamorphoses. It's OVERWHELMED with contemporary themes, such as human rights, feminism, ...

Just write a bloody essay instead.
Katie
No words. I'm not usually in to love stories but this was deliciously beautiful.
Sara
Warm, hilarious, and such tasteful wedding gifts from the Loch Ness Monster.
Anne
In general, I was fairly disappointed in this one. There was a serious lack of plot, and that is always my number one complaint about modern literary fiction -- too much introspective character study and not nearly enough plot. (If I ask you what a book is about about and you can't answer with, "Well, this happens and then this happens and then this happens," I know I probably won't love it.)

I feel like Smith set herself up with a difficult task with this story in retelling the Iphis myth, becau
Ape
2008 bookcrossing journal... reading through it now in 2015 I really don't remember much of this book, sadly.

I did really enjoy this book - so glad I got to read this one of the three Canongate offered up. It's just a really great story, even if you're not interested in all the cleverness of retelling myths. I hadn't read anything by Ali Smith before either (although I do have The Accidental lying around the flat somewhere). Will definately have to read more of her books.

Set in Inverness, it fol
Roy Elmer
Girl Meets Boy is part of the Canongate Myths series; a series of modern retellings of classical myths and/or religious texts that are often laced with contemporary allegory. Ali Smith's entry in the series tackles a the tale of Daphne and Ianthi and where the Greek myth blurred the lines between gender and ancient propriety, Girl Meets Boy essentially follows suit.

Smith plays with ideas of gender norms and stereotypes throughout this novella, intentionally mixing gender nomenclature and twistin
Katherine
Lesbian novelist Ali Smith's addition to the stellar Canongate Myths series is this retelling of the story of Iphis. She takes us on the parallel journeys of two sisters, Anthea and Midge, who are faced in different ways with the need for change.

Anthea has a rich history through her grandparents of refusal to conform to expectations of gender, class and culture, and she has an instinctively compassionate view of how the world ought to be. But she lacks the courage to change even her own life. I
Kevin
Jan 13, 2008 Kevin rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: activists, inactivists, women, men
Shelves: fiction, queerish
Ali Smith is probably my favourite modern writer. She's got a really sharp Scottish ear for language and her tone is always playful and clear. I guess she'd be called postmodern because she's always writing stories about stories that sometimes call attention to point of view and grammar and punctuation, etc. but she's not at all like one of those awful deconstructionist look-at-me-i'm-writing-a-story-and-you're-reading-it-too-bad-
that's-all-it's-about writers. She has soul. She manages to acknow
Courtney Johnston
A supple, sexy retelling of the story of Iphis and Ianthe from Ovid's Metamorphoses, from the Canongate series of contemporary writers' takes on ancient myths.

Suitably for a book that partly about the power of words to shape and transform us, Smith's writing is a joy - sometimes lilting and trilling, sometimes choppy - and most especially when she writes about falling in love:

She had the swagger of a girl. She blushed like a boy. She was as meaty as a girl. She was as graceful as a boy. She was
A myth about transformation and conformity is recreated as a myth about transformation and non-conformity.
No longer is Iphis searching for a penis; she is searching for a voice--and in finding it, she surprises even herself with the words that emerge.
Ali Smith gives us prose like Jeanette Winterson, imagination like Angela Carter, and an exuberant and fearless voice that is all her own.
Pamela Scott
I loved Girl Meets Boy. Smith offers a well-written, memorable version of the myth of Iphis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iphis) from Ovid’s Metamorphoses. I loved reading every page. I wish Girl Meets Boy had been several hundred pages longer. I have read another two novels by Smith, The Accidental and There But For The and didn’t think much of them. I find it odd that I loved Girl Meets Boy so much. It reminds me of the brilliant story The World With Love in her collection First Love and Other ...more
Gretchen
Lydia
The blurb of this book grabbed me, and then I opened a page, and it really didn't let me go until the end.

This is a powerful little book.

It's feminist. It has LGBTIQA characters, it's based in Ancient myth. What more do you want, really?

But in all seriousness, this is a really well-crafted book. I wish it hadn't been so sparse in places but it's lovely just to read a book about my own kind of people for once.

I would be interested in reading the rest of Smith's work, but I'll be honest, I don't t
Marley KD
I am only part way through but Ali Smith is just so incredibly good. Just finished the "Us" chapter which ends with one of the best pieces of writing about what it is to be in love and in lust I have ever read.

Okay, just finished. "It was always the stories that needed the telling that gave us the rope we could cross any river with. They balanced us high above any crevasse. They made us be brave. They met us well. They changed us. It was in their nature to."

"Nothing more than what happens when t
Classical Literat...: Girl Meets Boy Discussion (with spoilers) 7 73 Aug 31, 2014 08:16AM
  • Where Three Roads Meet: The Myth of Oedipus
  • Bottle Rocket Hearts
  • The World's Wife
  • The Goddess Chronicle
  • The Creamsickle
Ali Smith is a writer, born in 1962 in Inverness, Scotland, to working-class parents. She was raised in a council house in Inverness and now lives in Cambridge. She studied at Aberdeen, and then at Cambridge, for a Ph.D. that was never finished. In a 2004 interview with writing magazine Mslexia, she talked briefly about the difficulty of becoming ill with chronic fatigue syndrome for a year and ho ...more
More about Ali Smith...
The Accidental How to Be Both There But for The Hotel World Artful

“She had the swagger of a girl. She blushed like a boy. She had a girl’s toughness. She has a boy’s gentleness. She was as meaty as a girl. She was as graceful as a boy. She was as brave and handsome and rough as a girl. She was as pretty and delicate and dainty as a boy. She turned boys' heads like a girl. She turned girls' heads like a boy. She made love like a boy. She made love like a girl. She was so boyish it was girlish, so girlish it was boyish, she made me want to rove the world writing our names on every tree. I had simply never found someone so right. Sometimes this shocked me so much that I was unable to speak.” 20 likes
“And it was always the stories that needed the telling that gave us the rope we could cross any river with. They balanced us high above any crevasse. They made us be natural acrobats. They made us brave. They met us well. They changed us. It was in their nature to.” 16 likes