Start by marking “Home Enlightenment: Practical, Earth-Friendly Advice for Creating a Nurturing, Healthy, and Toxin-Free Home and Lifestyle” as Want to Read:

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  36 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
A comprehensive guide to creating a toxin-free, environmentally friendly home-with an eye toward bringing health and harmony to those living there and those on the earth as a whole.

Recent studies show that nearly one-third of American adults, or 63 million consumers, care deeply about health and environmental issues and the realization of human potential through a unity of
Published September 25th 2005 by Rodale Books

To ask other readers questions about Home Enlightenment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home Enlightenment

dina
Nov 26, 2007 dina rated it really liked it
this is a great book to use as home and health reference guide if you are into that sort of stuff. the author can go over the top...even for me...rituals involving baths and chants and some very extreme stuff on going organic. but, she is well researched and a lot of her ideas are incredibly helpful. I actually bought the book after reading it and use it all the time. the cleaning fluid recipes work well and are easy to make. her ideas are not just for the home but for health--mind and body.
Cherie
Aug 24, 2007 Cherie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: environmentalists, those who want to change their lives but don't know it yet
A It took me several months of reading this book at short spurts (often with dinner) but it is a fantastic read. At times, Bond gets a little hippity-dippity as V would say (with all the crystal stuff) but she has a lot of incredibly valid stuff to say and backs it up with why certain things are unhealthy, and alternatives. Best, she doesn't make you feel bad if you can't change things or assume you can--she realizes some people live on a limited budget in an apt/house they rent.
Kristina
Definitely a good resource; I brought it back to the library so I could put it on a display about an upcoming program on environmental toxins (& how to avoid them), but I want to check it back out for a few of the recipes for bird food, pet care and home cleaning products. (You know, for those rare moments when I'm inspired to clean my home... :)
Lisa
Dec 09, 2008 Lisa rated it it was amazing
I found it fascinating to learn about green building materials and natural options for mattresses, carpets, furniture, clothing, etc. However, it is a bit overwhelming to read because it is stressful to learn about all the toxins in regular "stuff." But overall, it's good to know about for long term redecorating and purchasing goals.
Allison
Jan 17, 2008 Allison rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Interesting book with lots of healthy "green" tips. Most practical, some a little too out there for me, but maybe I'm just not in tune with the energy of the rocks in my yard. It covers a lot of information, and has a great product guide in the back of the book.
Emilysa
Oct 18, 2011 Emilysa rated it liked it
Shelves: undone
Living well is a constant battle as the world changes. She has a lot of great ideas and suggestions on how to make the home a healthier, more natural place. I will likely never go for everything she says, but I can try some of it.
Stacie
Mar 19, 2008 Stacie rated it it was amazing
Some weird new age stuff-but amazing info.
Aug 29, 2007 Sarah rated it really liked it
Time to face facts - I'm New-Agey.
Martina
Feb 17, 2016 Martina rated it did not like it
I applaud the concept and intentions behind the book, but find its execution sorely lacking and unenlightened. While (on the one hand), the author gives much weight and credence to metaphysical, new age concepts that find little support in the scientific literature, she (on the other hand) completely overlooks the significant research that has demonstrated the devastating effects of animal agriculture on our planet and health. I cannot reconcile the author's attempt to find spiritual fulfillment ...more
Olya Chizh
Olya Chizh marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Joan
Joan rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2016
Hannah Amos
Hannah Amos marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Alana
Alana is currently reading it
May 15, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
Tasha Livingstone
Tasha Livingstone marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Ellen
Ellen marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
MichelleMarie
MichelleMarie marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2015
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2015
Katrina
Katrina rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2015
Amy F
Amy F rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2015
Pam
Pam rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2015
Dayna
Dayna marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Kipahni
Kipahni marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Bonnie DaRienzo
Bonnie DaRienzo marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Joannne
Joannne marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Mai
Mai marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Laura Mccleery
Laura Mccleery rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2014