Start by marking “Night Kills (Frank Quinn, #3)” as Want to Read:
Night Kills (Frank Quinn, #3)

Night Kills (Frank Quinn #3)

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  621 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
Frank Quinn is sure he is hunting for a madman: someone is shooting young women in the heart, defiling their bodies, leaving only torsos to be found. Quinn, a former NYPD detective, is called into the case by an ambitious chief of police and mobilises his team of brilliant law-enforcement misfits. But in the concrete canyons of New York, this shocking serial murder case is ...more
Published October 1st 2008 by Pinnacle (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Night Kills, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night Kills

Gail
Oct 24, 2014 Gail rated it liked it
My first Lutz experience, and it does take a while to piece together all the different scenarios. I liek the original reason behind the events! I will get the first in the trilogy and read more. One point - am I the only person left bewildered by the fact that at victim 3 (I think) the new pathologist adds new information when she finds a splinter - so at least now we KNOW it is wood, not just guessing, but by victim 4 we suddenly know that the first three were one type of wood and this one is d ...more
Darcia Helle
This book started with lots of promise. Then the plot inconsistencies began, and I found myself wondering why Lutz didn't keep track of details within his own story. Then the reason is revealed for the torsos being left out in public, which happens before the midway point, and the whole thing fell apart for me.

I can't point out the inconsistencies without giving spoilers, so I'll be vague. Certain evidence was altered along the way, in that medical examiners and detectives suddenly knew things
June Ahern
Oct 03, 2013 June Ahern rated it liked it

Night Kills by John Lutz didn't catch my interest the first few chapters. I almost gave up, but then the story turned around for me. The premises of why the killings take place is a good, unique one. That caught my attention. I cared much more for the murdered victims than the killers, and/or the cops chasing them. Their are twists, and turns, and enough to keep the story interesting. The main good guy characters detectives, Quinn, Pearl and a few others are doing their jobs, but I didn't get a
Bill Shuey
Apr 02, 2015 Bill Shuey rated it it was amazing
Night Kills is my first encounter with John Lutz - if all his books are as interesting and suspenseful as this one - I am hooked.

This book has a plot and several sub-plots which does not diminish from the general outline of the book in any way. Lutz brings all the characters together as the book nears its' ending and still has some surprises in store for us on the very last page.

A real page turner with twists and turns throughout.
laura m
Sep 08, 2014 laura m rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: north american crime fiction readers
Jeanne
Aug 08, 2015 Jeanne rated it really liked it
This book will make anyone think a lot before signing up with a dating agency as it's used to cherry pick the victims. The book swallows you into perfect romances and partners that are neither, and then there is the one that got away who sets justice in motion.
James Fitzgerald
Jun 16, 2015 James Fitzgerald rated it it was ok
I was disappointed with this book I had read darker the night by John lutz and thought it w
as exciting and I couldn't put it down. this book had the same characters and the writer just changed the serial killers mo. I figured out why he was killing women in the first 60 pages. ending was terrible.
nd
Bookworm LLC
Jun 05, 2015 Bookworm LLC rated it liked it
I liked this book, not as good as the others I have read, but still kept me reading. It seemed a bit disjointed and at first I had to work pretty hard to get into it. However, I think it is worth the read.
Kimberly
Sep 28, 2014 Kimberly rated it liked it
Not one of John Lutz's best. Very modern and frightening premise to the story, but I could easily put it down. I can't say the same for some of his other books.
Monique
Mar 09, 2014 Monique rated it liked it
I liked the storyline and enjoyed the somewhat complicated characters. I was a bit disturbed by the way the victims were killed but not so much that I couldn't finish.
Amy
Nov 17, 2015 Amy rated it really liked it
This was a really good book. I was kind of unsure about it at first but after I got into it I was hooked. Not your typical serial killer fare
Janet Robel
Jan 20, 2015 Janet Robel rated it liked it
Good suspense! I did get somewhat confused by all the things going on in the book but I did enjoy it.
Mam
Nov 08, 2014 Mam rated it liked it
Would have preferred much less brutal detail, but the plot was adequately twisted.
Penni
Jan 26, 2016 Penni rated it really liked it
The killer was quite gruesome but a well written, fast paced book.
RS Fuster
Apr 27, 2015 RS Fuster rated it it was amazing
Much of this story grossed me out but I couldn't put it down
Eliana
Apr 06, 2014 Eliana added it
Keeps you hooked til the very end every time. P.I. thriller/mystery.
Jeremy Hornik
Aug 27, 2015 Jeremy Hornik rated it did not like it
Bad. Lumpy and awkward. Hard to follow, harder to care.
Amanda
Jan 23, 2015 Amanda rated it it was amazing
This was my favorite Frank Quinn novel so far. I love John Lutz and Scott Brick is my favorite narrator ever so it was even better. On to #4 Urge to Kill!
Kelly
Oct 08, 2014 Kelly rated it liked it
Good book. Not as good as the first two in the series though
Tiffany Hill
Jan 29, 2014 Cranbery rated it it was amazing
Loved it!
Anna
Jul 13, 2011 Anna rated it really liked it
I love this series! It's very under-rated to me. His chapters are short but keep you intrigued throughout the whole book. I definitely recommend this series.

This book, especially, was creepy. Instead of using an online dating site to match people with each other, the dating site uses personal information to find potential body doubles for well-to-do people that "die" It's a great book.
Kevin C
Jul 24, 2011 Kevin C rated it really liked it
This was the first book I read on my new Kindle, and what a good first choice it was! It was exciting, tense, and entertaining. The characters were true to life, the plot moved right along, and the final 'showdown' was so intense I stayed up way past my normal bed time because I couldn't put it down!
Oct 19, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Parts of this book were too graphic for my taste. I found the story to be rushed in parts, especially the ending, and on a whole this book did not hold my attention. This is the first novel by Lutz I have read and I'm not in any hurry to read the other books in this series that's for sure.
Jenn
Nov 16, 2008 Jenn rated it liked it
I was somewhat disappointed with this Lutz novel. Most of his work leaves me sitting ok the edge of my seat. But in this one I kept wondering when it would be over, of something more exciting would happen. Not that I wouldn't read everything John Lutz writes as I still think he's brilliant.
Luann
Jul 20, 2012 Luann rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, fiction, crime
An interesting twist on identity theft. This book seemed a bit of a departure from previous novels in that you know up front who the killer is and their motive - unlike other John Quinn stories which leave you guessing while getting a look into the killer's past.
Amy
Aug 04, 2011 Amy rated it liked it
467 pgs

A fast paced thriller about what appears to be like a serial killer, but that's just a cover-up. The book was good. It kept me interested to find out what would happen. I liked the characters, especially the detectives, they seemed like real people
Melissa
Aug 06, 2011 Melissa rated it really liked it
I different edge of your seat read. Although you could figure out do a certain extent who the killer was, you didn't connect all the dots and kept reading. Lots of action, and it wasn't the same old mystery/thriller book predictable plot line.
Sandie
May 01, 2009 Sandie rated it it was amazing
One of a trilogy, In for the Kill, Darker than Night. Great suspense, serial killer, dective series that will keep you up all night reading just to get to the end. The book will keep you guessing all the way to the end.
  • Mourn The Living
  • Rough Draft
  • A Thousand Bones (Louis Kincaid, #8)
  • Acts of Honor
  • Magical Mystery oder die Rückkehr des Karl Schmidt
  • The New Girl (Downside, #3)
  • Heartless
  • Das war ich nicht
  • Vicious
  • Rancid Pansies (Gerald Samper #3)
  • When the Storm Breaks
  • A Cold Dark Place (Emily Kenyon, #1)
  • MPD-Psycho, Volume 5
  • Deed to Death
  • Dangerous Deception (The Protectors, #27)
  • The Wildfire Season
  • Strip Search (Susan Pulaski #2)
  • Killer Instinct (Jessica Coran #1)

John Lutz published his first short story in 1966 in Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine and has been publishing regularly ever since. His work includes political suspense, private eye novels, urban suspense, humor, occult, crime caper, police procedural, espionage, historical, futuristic, amateur detective--v
More about John Lutz...

Frank Quinn (10 books)
  • Darker Than Night (Frank Quinn, #1)
  • In for the Kill (Frank Quinn #2)
  • Urge To Kill (Frank Quinn, #4)
  • Mister X (Frank Quinn, #5)
  • Serial (Frank Quinn, #6)
  • Pulse (Frank Quinn, #7)
  • Twist (Frank Quinn, #8)
  • Frenzy (Frank Quinn, #9)
  • Slaughter (Frank Quinn, #10)