Start by marking “The New Mediterranean Diet Cookbook: A Delicious Alternative for Lifelong Health” as Want to Read:

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  162 ratings  ·  20 reviews
The eating style proven to reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke.

Spanning the Mediterranean from Spain to France, Italy, and Greece, with side trips to Lebanon, Cyprus, and North Africa, this revised and updated edition of Nancy Harmon Jenkins’s acclaimed cookbook offers ninety-two mouthwatering new dishes plus the latest information about the nutritional benefits of
Published December 30th 2008 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about The New Mediterranean Diet Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Mediterranean Diet Cookbook

Kristen
While the recipes in the book are good, the author is a relentless snob and misses absolutely no opportunity to disparage the low quality of American ingredients; eggs, mushrooms, whatever -- you name it and she'll tell you they're sooooo much better in Italy (where the author has a house). Lady, just give me the recipes and spare me the commentary, 'kay?
Leonora Estes
Jun 07, 2014 Leonora Estes marked it as to-read
Shelves: cookbooks
If you want photos and ordinary ingredients, buy a Betty Crocker cookbook.
Lisa Topp
A lovely compilation of Mediterranean dishes, interspersed with tips and information about methods, materials and ingredients (olive oils, sauces, etc.). If you already like Mediterranean dishes, or are looking to make a healthy change, browse this book. Although some dishes can be quickly prepared, as with most healthy cooking, be prepared to use a lot of fresh ingredients and spend a little extra prep and cooking time in the kitchen.
There are many good ideas to bring new grains and vegetable
Catherine
Quick, convenient, everyday tome this is not. For example, one side dish may have a dozen ingredients and two pages of instructions. These recipes will not fit in with my everyday rotation.

I did keep a few to try, and a lot seemed they would be tasty, even if not flashy.

Don't look for information on the Mediterranean Diet; but, the balance of vegetarian to soups, to meats did seem in line with the diet principles.
Melissa
A lot of the recipes in this book require ingredients that I have never heard of and doubt they sell them here in Buffalo. Only a handful of them sounded interesting enough to try. And I am sorry but if a recipe calls for chicken livers, anchovies or some other thing that I have never even heard of but sounds scary, I am not going to make it.
Joan
I liked the Lebanese cookbook better.
Carla
Jul 27, 2011 Carla added it
i agree with the author that if your missing an ingredient or replace one for another these Mediterranean recipes still taste delicious and healthy for the heart. If you're looking to expand your skills of this style of cooking then you found the right book.
E
Boo! Great concept but not one photo - what kind of a cookbook is that? a far contrast to the new Smitten Kitchen book that has one photo at least per recipe. Nothing new. some of the fish recipes look good but nothing new or groundbreaking.
Carolyn
Another book I skimmed through. Hilary, my daughter, went to a continuing education on stress management and nutrition and this book was recommended. Copied some recepies but haven't tried any yet.
Katie
Almost gave this one 2 stars because it doesn't have any photographs, but there are some yummy-sounding recipes included as well as tips on cooking with some of the particular ingredients.

Daleine
This is a good cookbook with a lot of information on Mediterranean food. I enjoyed the book but found many of the foods expensive and not able to get many of the food items where I live.
Kasey
The informational part of the book was very interesting. I learned a lot about olive oil. However the recipes were a little to unusual for my taste and contained no photos :-(
Autumn
Absolutely wonderful! Simple recipes with delicious ingredients and clear instructions. Makes healthy eating a joy.
Anna
I got this at the library to check it out, and now it's on my amazon wishlist for xmas.. Great recipes!
Angela
May 13, 2011 Angela rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
Disappointed. None of the recipes sounded very impressive and the book lacked pictures. Boo.
Mary
Jul 27, 2011 Mary rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
Well written with a good variety6 of recipes; some of which I had forgotten all about and now have!
Sasha
This book is a good introduction to mediterranean cuisine and its value for a healthy diet.
Kimberlee
Needed to have some beautiful pictures to go with some of the recipes.
Katrina V.
I've cooked my way through this entire cookbook -- www.goodbyebutter.com.
cynthia noyes
I love the recipes and they do take some time but I like to cook.
Anna Garcia
Anna Garcia marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Jewinum
Jewinum marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Cassandra Fairhurst
Cassandra Fairhurst marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
  • Ancient Grains for Modern Meals: Mediterranean Whole Grain Recipes for Barley, Farro, Kamut, Polenta, Wheat Berries & More
  • Turquoise: A Chef's Travels in Turkey
  • True Food: Seasonal, Sustainable, Simple, Pure
  • Whole Grains Every Day, Every Way
  • The Longevity Kitchen: Satisfying, Big-Flavor Recipes Featuring the Top 16 Age-Busting Power Foods
  • Grow Cook Eat: A Food Lover's Guide to Vegetable Gardening, Including 50 Recipes, Plus Harvesting and Storage Tips
  • A Mediterranean Feast: The Story Of The Birth Of The Celebrated Cuisines Of The Mediterranean, From The Merchants Of Venice To The Barbary Corsairs, With More Than 500 Recip
  • Bobby Flay's Grill It!
  • Bon Appetit Desserts: The Cookbook for All Things Sweet and Wonderful
  • Eat Your Vegetables: Bold Recipes for the Single Cook
  • Lucid Food: Cooking for an Eco-Conscious Life
  • The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook: 250 No-Fail Recipes for Pilafs, Risottos, Polenta, Chilis, Soups, Porridges, Puddings, and More, from Start to Finish in Your Rice Cooker
  • The Best Casserole Cookbook Ever
  • The Homesick Texan Cookbook
  • In the Green Kitchen: Techniques to Learn by Heart
  • The Heart of the Plate: Vegetarian Recipes for a New Generation
  • Fast, Fresh, & Green
  • Into the Vietnamese Kitchen: Treasured Foodways, Modern Flavors
Mediterranean Diet Cookbook: A Delicious Alternative for Lifelong Health The Essential Mediterranean: How Regional Cooks Transform Key Ingredients into the World's Favorite Cuisines Cucina del Sole: A Celebration of Southern Italian Cooking Flavors of Puglia Virgin Territory: Exploring the World of Olive Oil