East Coast Rising, Volume 1

East Coast Rising, Volume 1

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  8 reviews
When his ship is attacked by pirates, Archer is left floating adrift in a violent sea. But the young urchin is nothing if not resilient. He soon finds himself sailing with the infamous Cannonball Joe aboard La Revancha, the fastest ship on the East Coast, in search of a legendary hidden treasure. Their dangerous quest will lead directly to a showdown with the Hoboken, one...more
Published April 11th 2006 by TokyoPop

Damon
Good stuff - post-apocalyptic pirates in a sunken New Jersey. I like how there's not a lot of time wasted with backstory or stage setting - you drop in right in the middle of the action and it just goes from there. I'm sure some things would be revealed in future volumes, but really it's not necessary for the enjoyment of the story - no one is going to be reading just to find out what happened to make the world the way it is, they just want to see the good pirates beat the bad pirates.
Becky Cloo...more
Nick
Overall Rating: A
Synopsis: Becky Cloonan writes and draws East Coast Rising, a story about punk rock pirates in a world where New Jersey is submerged in water.

East Coast Rising is one of those books I have been meaning to pick up for awhile, but for one reason or another, I haven't gotten around to it. Fortunately, I finally picked up the first volume, and am glad I did. Becky Cloonan has created an alternate universe full of punk rock pirates (my favorite kind).

The series follows Archer, a you...more
Nicolo Yu
A surprisingly satisfying read, though it ends with a cliffhanger.

Comics about pirates are good, but this new concept by creator Becky Cloonan, of post-apocalyptic punk rock pirates is way better that than ordinary Blackbeard or Long John Silver. It fit the mood at the time I read it.

Imagine the United States East Coast overtaken by rising sea level with pirates roaming the newly created waterways. Like all pirate stories it has lost treasure at the heart of it.

Cloonan's art is gorgeously detail...more
Andrea
I like the idea: post-apocalypse, multi-racial, strong women characters, punk rock pirates in New Jersey/NYC waters, suitable for YA audience. I like that it's written & drawn by a woman. But the story's just not there. Then again, I have a hard time getting into the style of manga, and this is definitely heavily influenced. A good solid comic to give a kid who likes manga, but not enough there for adults.
Craig
This is merely an amuse bouche, setting up future stories likely never to come thanks to the manga implosion and Cloonan's other, higher profile gigs. I'd love to see this return without a lot of the manga tropes (dinner plate eyes, emoticons floating around characters' heads, etc). Cloonan presents an exciting world with expressive, interesting characters that seems a shame not to revisit.
Deb
Jun 15, 2007 Deb rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: PotCC & Y!PP fans
Waterworld! Pirates, sea demons, monster turtles, treasure, tattoos, and New Jersey is still the same. Kind-of.

Recommended by a teen librarian at the downtown Seattle library, "East Coast Rising" is a fun read that I look forward to reading more of. Once they have more than one volume out.
Sara
Dec 23, 2010 Sara rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
Beckly Cloonan, gah. She's a machine. My crush on her borders on embarrassing.
Dan
Well drawn, but a little confusing.
Laurianne Uy
Laurianne Uy marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Howard Parsons
Howard Parsons marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Dave
Dave added it
Mar 09, 2014
Erik
Erik added it
Feb 10, 2014
Nigel Fisher
Nigel Fisher marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2013
Lima
Lima added it
Oct 20, 2013
Jennifer Gilbert
Jennifer Gilbert marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2013
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2013
Kaethe
Kaethe marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2013
Nicole Trudel
Nicole Trudel marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2013