Start by marking “East Coast Rising Volume 1 (v. 1)” as Want to Read:
East Coast Rising Volume 1 (v. 1)

East Coast Rising Volume 1 (v. 1)

When his ship is attacked by pirates, Archer is left floating adrift in a violent sea. But the young urchin is nothing if not resilient. He soon finds himself sailing with the infamous Cannonball Joe aboard La Revancha, the fastest ship on the East Coast, in search of a legendary hidden treasure. Their dangerous quest will lead directly to a showdown with the Hoboken, one ...more
Published April 11th 2006 by TokyoPop

To ask other readers questions about East Coast Rising Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about East Coast Rising Volume 1

Damon
May 28, 2009 Damon rated it really liked it
Good stuff - post-apocalyptic pirates in a sunken New Jersey. I like how there's not a lot of time wasted with backstory or stage setting - you drop in right in the middle of the action and it just goes from there. I'm sure some things would be revealed in future volumes, but really it's not necessary for the enjoyment of the story - no one is going to be reading just to find out what happened to make the world the way it is, they just want to see the good pirates beat the bad pirates.
Becky Cloo
Nicolo Yu
Sep 18, 2009 Nicolo Yu rated it it was amazing
A surprisingly satisfying read, though it ends with a cliffhanger.

Comics about pirates are good, but this new concept by creator Becky Cloonan, of post-apocalyptic punk rock pirates is way better that than ordinary Blackbeard or Long John Silver. It fit the mood at the time I read it.

Imagine the United States East Coast overtaken by rising sea level with pirates roaming the newly created waterways. Like all pirate stories it has lost treasure at the heart of it.

Cloonan's art is gorgeously detail
Hector Ibarraran
Sep 11, 2015 Hector Ibarraran rated it liked it
This was a beautiful book with an interesting story. More than anything, the artwork was fun and gorgeous. I would have liked to see more detail, but there are enough micro-character-moments for you to understand the people in the book and who there are. Fun read.
Nick
Feb 12, 2008 Nick rated it it was amazing
Overall Rating: A
Synopsis: Becky Cloonan writes and draws East Coast Rising, a story about punk rock pirates in a world where New Jersey is submerged in water.

East Coast Rising is one of those books I have been meaning to pick up for awhile, but for one reason or another, I haven't gotten around to it. Fortunately, I finally picked up the first volume, and am glad I did. Becky Cloonan has created an alternate universe full of punk rock pirates (my favorite kind).

The series follows Archer, a you
Andrea
Jun 19, 2009 Andrea rated it liked it
I like the idea: post-apocalypse, multi-racial, strong women characters, punk rock pirates in New Jersey/NYC waters, suitable for YA audience. I like that it's written & drawn by a woman. But the story's just not there. Then again, I have a hard time getting into the style of manga, and this is definitely heavily influenced. A good solid comic to give a kid who likes manga, but not enough there for adults.
Craig
Nov 27, 2011 Craig rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This is merely an amuse bouche, setting up future stories likely never to come thanks to the manga implosion and Cloonan's other, higher profile gigs. I'd love to see this return without a lot of the manga tropes (dinner plate eyes, emoticons floating around characters' heads, etc). Cloonan presents an exciting world with expressive, interesting characters that seems a shame not to revisit.
Deb
Jun 15, 2007 Deb rated it liked it
Recommends it for: PotCC & Y!PP fans
Waterworld! Pirates, sea demons, monster turtles, treasure, tattoos, and New Jersey is still the same. Kind-of.

Recommended by a teen librarian at the downtown Seattle library, "East Coast Rising" is a fun read that I look forward to reading more of. Once they have more than one volume out.
Dan
Sep 05, 2011 Dan rated it liked it
Well drawn, but a little confusing.
Sara
Dec 23, 2010 Sara rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Beckly Cloonan, gah. She's a machine. My crush on her borders on embarrassing.
Bill
Bill rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2008
Ed McKeogh
Ed McKeogh rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2016
Becky
Becky rated it liked it
May 03, 2012
Jessi
Jessi rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2009
Patrick Byrne
Patrick Byrne rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2013
Elise Valentine
Elise Valentine rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2011
Matt Byrde
Matt Byrde rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2015
Valia Kapadai
Valia Kapadai rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2011
Samuel
Samuel rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2012
Bryan
Bryan rated it really liked it
May 31, 2013
Anna Evertsdotter
Anna Evertsdotter rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2014
Maddy
Maddy rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2012
lesleymac
lesleymac rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2010
Valia
Valia rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2009
Shamica M Anderson
Shamica M Anderson rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2012
Paul
Paul rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2007
Chris Conlon
Chris Conlon rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2017
Ley Saulnier
Ley Saulnier rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2009
Garidation
Garidation rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2013
anna
anna rated it it was ok
Sep 11, 2008
Wormworth
Wormworth rated it it was ok
Jul 24, 2013