Start by marking “As Long As She Needs Me” as Want to Read:
As Long As She Needs Me

As Long As She Needs Me

Anyone who has worked for someone else knows the endless routine, the twisted psychology, and the near-impossible obstacle course that comprise the daily life of the assistant. And anyone who's gotten married knows that planning a wedding can be similarly daunting. For ten long years, Oscar Campbell has worked as the personal assistant to the legendary Dawn of Dawn Books, ...more
Published April 10th 2001 by William Morrow (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about As Long As She Needs Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about As Long As She Needs Me

lowercase
Dec 16, 2011 lowercase rated it liked it
really a charming book, but light -- like chinese food -- so maybe i won't remember it in an hour or so. the author is witty and gifted in coining a turn of phrase; maybe too gifted, because sometimes the story is derailed by an approaching-twee metaphor or almost precious analogy that might have been better tucked into the dialogue of another book. ironically, in a book about a writer made better by an editorial soulmate, this book could have used a little judicious editing. i hope he writes mo ...more
Sep 01, 2014 Laura rated it it was ok
As I type this, I am looking thoughtfully at my partner-in-crime, who brought this book into the house. You may take the raised eyebrows as a given.

I was seriously hard pressed to finish this, because I have a very low tolerance for OMG YOU'RE 30 YOU WILL BE SMOTHERED BY CATS AND YOUR BODY FOUND UNDER A PILE OF EMPTY LEAN CUISINE BOXES IF YOU DO NOT FIND A MATE NOW NOW NOW, even when delivered (or mocked?) by a male protagonist and a male author.

For me the most interesting part of this book wa
Kris
Jan 13, 2009 Kris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit, romance
This frothy and frolicsome first novel is a "musical comedy without the music," in P.G. Wodehouse's phrase. Oliver Campbell, a tall, gawky but handsome former English major, is trapped in the job of executive editorial assistant at Dawn Books. Lauren LaRose, a beautiful but burned-out journalist, pens "The Aisle of White," a popular monthly magazine column devoted to trendy theme weddings. At the nuptials of Oliver's college roommate, Oliver and Lauren are seated together at the Butt Table (the ...more
RivkaBelle
Apr 06, 2016 RivkaBelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
**2.5 stars
I wanted to like this one so much more -- it's the kind of catchy, "frothy" setup that makes for amazing movies and good indulgent reading, made more intriguing by being from a male POV. I *wanted* to love it ... Instead I mostly like it -- it's got its funny moments, to be sure, and the ending is what I wanted -- but ... It's too frothy. It's too fast. The writing is sometimes rather sloppy (ironically, considering the "hero" is an editor). It's cute enough, but not enough. Or maybe
Marty
Aug 23, 2014 Marty rated it it was ok
This book kept reminding me of The Devil Wears Prada….. only this time the assistant to the Bitchy Boss is a man… Oscar is a 30+ single man who is at the beck and call of Dawn, the head of Dawn Books. In having to plan Dawn’s secret marriage, Oscar, actually winds up planning his own. He has fallen in love with Lauren, the writer of a Wedding Column for a New York paper. It’s all mis-cues and misunderstandings. Basically brainless...
grundoon
Chick-lit meets "Ugly Betty", with appearances by bros, ISOs and a token non-hetero - written by a man. I have no idea why this even exists, but if it happens to be your thing, it's actually some decent writing (though our continuing friendship is absolutely due some scrutiny).
April
Jul 10, 2015 April rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not really a good book, I was lost during most of the book and toward the end skipped pages because it didn't matter to the outcome of the book. The conversation part of the book was not well written and I was lost most of the time. It could have been better but the ending was sweet.
Elena
Sep 16, 2016 Elena rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Olvidable.

Yup... already forgot.
Phoebe
Apr 17, 2010 Phoebe rated it it was amazing
A charming romantic comedy starring a guy I would really like. Despite being tall, attractive, smart, and nice, Oscar isn't an alpha--instead he's the invisible assistant to a Devil-Wears-Prada-style publisher. He's stuck planning the boss-lady's wedding (and wondering how he let his life take this lame path), when he meets the woman of his own dreams.
Carrie
Jul 15, 2007 Carrie rated it liked it
Unusual because it's a love story told by a guy, and even though it differs a bit, it's essentially a romantic comedy. Male assistant plans female boss' wedding but ends up getting married himself.
Camille
Sep 17, 2011 Camille rated it did not like it
I couldn't get into this one. I tried but the pov is from the narrator and it trips up the story line. I stopped reading it. I'm sure its good it seems a lot like the proposal the movie.

I moved on
Jo Schaffer
This book was witty and entertaining throughout. Weinstock really can nail personalities! Nice, light and fun.
Amy
Sep 20, 2008 Amy rated it it was ok
an amusing piece of fluff. little bit different writing style which was almost fun to read.

Give it a B-/C+
Marge
Dec 14, 2009 Marge rated it liked it
Sweet book about meeting the right person and planning (or not planning) the wedding.
Carolyn
May 23, 2010 Carolyn rated it liked it
A little predictable, but overall a cute read for sitting poolside in the summer.
Eileen
Apr 08, 2010 Eileen rated it liked it
This book was kind of a cute "chic lit" love story. It was the author's debut novel.
Feb 27, 2009 Laura rated it really liked it
surprisingly written by a man, this is a charming romance with amazing writing.
Alex
Feb 21, 2010 Alex added it
As Long As She Needs Me by Nicholas Weinstock (2001)
Suzanne
Feb 26, 2013 Suzanne rated it liked it
No depth - light read.
Brandi Barnes
Oct 13, 2012 Brandi Barnes rated it liked it
Fun, light read.
Allison
Allison rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2016
Nadiya
Nadiya marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Michelle Searfoss
Michelle Searfoss rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2016
Addison
Addison rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2016
Shipra
Shipra added it
Jun 14, 2016
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Alison Anderson
Alison Anderson rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Three
  • Isn't it Romantic?
  • Wish
  • Lime Ricky
  • Girl, 16: Five Star Fiasco (Jess Jordan, #4)
  • The Accidental Diva
  • Altar Ego
  • Hearse of a Different Color (Hitchcock Sewell Mysteries, #2)
  • Firebird
  • I Feel a Little Jumpy Around You: A Book of Her Poems & His Poems Collected in Pairs
  • The Dim Sum of All Things
  • Still Hungry--After All These Years
  • The Snake Has All the Lines
  • Off the Cuff
  • Scrub-a-Dub Dead (Charlotte LaRue Mystery, #6)
  • Couch World
  • Fall Down, Laughing: How Squiggy Caught Multiple Sclerosis and Didn't Tell Nobody
  • Every Inch of Her