Start by marking “Just Another Judgement Day (Nightside, #9)” as Want to Read:
Just Another Judgement Day (Nightside, #9)

Just Another Judgement Day (Nightside #9)

4.12  ·  Rating Details ·  7,746 Ratings  ·  178 Reviews
Just another success from the New York Times bestselling author

God's own enforcer, the righteous engine of destruction known as the Walking Man, has come to the Nightside. His sole purpose is the elimination of the wicked and the guilty, which means no one will be left in the Nightside once he gets started. So the Authorities have hired P.I. John Taylor to stop him. Le
Published January 6th 2009 by Ace Hardcover (first published December 17th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Just Another Judgement Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Another Judgement Day

Andrew
Feb 03, 2011 Andrew rated it really liked it
And so the series goes on - and slowly its becoming more and additive it. I will have to say that after the Lilith war the stories have become more compact and as such now are limited to a single book. This makes the book both quicker to read - after all everything that is going to happen, will happen, has to happen in these pages, it also to a lesser extent mean that the story is shorted and more compact.

However the story here follows pretty much the same route and even though the dialogue and
Christaaay - Christy Luis Reviews
3.5 STARS

About : After killing a crowd of Springheeled Jacks who entered the Nightside through a Timeslip, John Taylor and Suzie Shooter decide to wind down in a Nightside bar. But they can’t relax for long. Soon John’s on-again-off-again friend and arch nemesis brings news of a different kind of monster: a righteous kind.

“The Walking Man, the wrath of God in the world of men, the most powerful and scariest agent of the Good, ever, has come at last to the Nightside to punish the guilty.”

Proble
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
Anyone who's gotten this far into the series knows that the stories are a little predictable. Green tends to repeat himself, not just from book to book, but even within books. If I read the line "He's the wrath of God on earth" again, I think I was gonna scream. And every time he uses his Gift and "then it was the easiest thing in the world..." my eye twitches a little.

That said, after the last book, which I was rather disappointed in, this one has some fresh life and fun again. Yes, it is sort
Jaz Primo
Aug 11, 2012 Jaz Primo rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading Simon Green’s “Just Another Judgement Day”, the ninth installment in his highly-popular Nightside urban fantasy series. I completely enjoyed this novel, and found the storyline to be both compelling and highly-informative concerning the burgeoning new group of Nightside power brokers, referred to as the Authorities, who have replaced their former holders as the guiding management for the Nightside. And yet, there’s still even more to this storyline, such as the evolving r ...more
Catherine Ford
Jun 30, 2015 Catherine Ford rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Amazing as always. Read these books friends!
Brian Clapper
Dec 27, 2012 Brian Clapper rated it liked it
I've read nine installments of this series so far, and I'll read the others. Like many books (Butcher's Dresden series, Hearne's Iron Druid series, and Kadrey's Sandman Slim series, to name just a few), these books are what I tend to call "Television Substitutes." They're enjoyable enough, and a slight notch above pulp fiction (usually), and, most of the time, I'd rather curl up with the dog and read something light than waste time in front of the TV. Slumming with television substitutes can be ...more
Shel
Mar 02, 2010 Shel rated it really liked it
It's nice to see that Simon R. Green is getting less predictable in his writing, which has been the unfortunate drawback to his last few novels. Rather, he has taken a fresh step in the Nightside series, which bodes well for the future books.

I think the strongest aspect of the book was the slow shift away from the pre-Lilith war characters by writing them into the background of the story. His more memorable characters are still present, however, not recurrent and in the forefront as they were in
Kati
Feb 24, 2013 Kati rated it really liked it
What a great book! I couldn't wait to see how John Taylor would stop The Walking Man. And I loved that John wasn't all gung-ho, that he wanted to stop the guy without killing him, if possible. I also really liked the developing relationship between John and Suzie, loved seeing their home. But I didn't expect the twist with Walker at the very end, that made me rather sad because I love the guy, he's such an arrogant bastard. But I guess that's where the series was headed since the beginning? Can' ...more
Robin
Jan 15, 2011 Robin rated it really liked it
4 stars because after a couple disappointing books this one finally grabbed my attention. Although I find the child abuse story line extremely upsetting (not just suzie's in this one- there's more. It's not in-the-moment description, just aftermath, but still horrifying of course) I did appreciate what that did for suzie's character.

You get more of John & suzie's private life, info on the new authorities (that raises an interesting question about the future), bad news about Walker and even a
Marcus Calvert
Jan 09, 2013 Marcus Calvert rated it it was amazing
Read every book in the Nightside series and you'll have read some ace-level sci-fi. Green's imagination is enviable and flat-out genius. His characters, concepts, lines . . . perfecto. He's a master of first-person sci-fi.

Take this book for example. Imagine the left hand of God came to town, with the purpose of inflicting Old-Testament-style wrath upon the Nightside, a town full of evils and vices. He's wreathed in God's might. He's indestructible. Cruel. Merciless.

How would you stop him?

[Whis
Schnaucl
I enjoyed this book but the series is beginning to feel repetitive. Big Bad comes to Nightside, John, Suzy and 1 or 2 other people take it on, people die. It's not that there's a total lack of forward momentum, there are changes in the Nightside. In this book we meet the new authorities, for example. But it still feels like the more things change the more they stay the same.

I did notice a few crossovers with the Shaman Bond series.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Just another judgements Day (Nightside, # 9), Simon R. Green (1955)
عنوان: نایت ساید جلد نهم: رستاخیزی دیگر؛ نویسنده: سیمون آر. گرین؛ مترجم: زهره حق بین؛ مشخصات نشر: تهران، ویدا، چاپ نخست 1390، در 195 ص، اندازه 14 در 21 س.م، فروست: مجموعه نایت ساید، شابک جلد 9: 9789646807839؛ شابک دوره: 9789646807914؛ موضوع: داستانهای نویسندگان انگلیسی قرن 21 م
The Flooze
Loved it. Fast-paced, truly dark in many ways, and filled with debates over faith vs fanaticism, good vs evil, and the merits of all the levels in between.

Add to this all the changes going on in the Nightside and the series gets freshened up a bit.

These damn books are like potato chips.

::reaching for the next one::
Molly Smith
Feb 23, 2017 Molly Smith rated it really liked it
Another excellent story in the Nightside Universe. The idea of the Walking Man was fascinating and I enjoyed how John Taylor had to work to figure out the best way to stop him. This was another gripping page turner. I'm still intrigued on what Walker has going on...I'm not sure all is what meets the eye. The continuing romance between John Taylor and Suzie Shotgun is heart-warming as it is heartbreaking, but I still love their interactions. I'm interesting in seeing what the new Authorities have ...more
Linnea
Nov 23, 2016 Linnea rated it liked it
John Taylor has been summoned by the Walker to meet the new Authorities. They have given him a job to stop the Walking Man from killing everyone in the Nightside. The Walking Man is a very powerful person that was given the power to punish the guilty sinners. He goes around killing people that have done bad things. John Taylor has to stop the Walking Man and try not to be killed himself.
This is a good book. I did not really understand why the Walking Man would want team up with John Taylor, e
Audrey
Apr 06, 2010 Audrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I let Suzie finish setting up the house's defences while Walker and I stood outside in what used to be the garden, not looking at each other. Suzie always likes arming the hidden charges and taking the safeties off the concealed weaponry and contemplating the mayhem and general carnage that will undoubtedly ensue if anyone is dumb enough to try to get into the house while we're out. One very professional burglar actually made it all the way to our front door once, and the house ate him. The lett
Grete

Review originally published at BookThing! (Reviewed by Tony Evans)

This is the ninth Nightside story from Simon R. Green, and if you don’t know what to expect by this point then you’ve had your eyes closed throughout the previous books. This is not a book for someone who’s never read any of the previous Nightside novels – you absolutely need to read them all first, otherwise much of this one will go over your head.

Simon has built a canon of characters in the Nightside and uses them in this story
Kathy Davie
Sep 17, 2011 Kathy Davie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, urban
Ninth in the dark urban fantasy series, Nightside.

The Story
The status quo is changing in the Nightside. There's a new board of Authorities and they've just asked John Taylor for his help in subduing the latest big bad. Seems the Walking Man has finally shown up in the Nightside. The Wrath of God who moves in a straight line to take out evil. The sinners who deserve punishment. And it seems that the Walking Man hasn't gotten the memo that the Nightside is neutral ground.

The Characters
John Taylor
Jessa
Jul 26, 2012 Jessa rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
There's a new sheriff in town, and he's got the Nightside's rich and powerful quaking in their boots. He's The Walking Man, and it's his mission to exorcise sinners-with extreme prejudice. Problem is, the Nightside was built on sin and corruption, and The Walking Man makes no distinction between evildoers and those simply indulging themselves. He'll leave the place a wasteland unless someone stops him, and P.I. John Taylor has been handed the job. No known magic or science can affect The Walking ...more
LJ
JUST ANOTHER JUDGEMENT DAY (PI/Para/Horror-Jack Taylor-Nightside, England-Cont) - VG
Green, Simon R. – 9th in series
Ace books, 2009, US Hardcover – ISBN: 044101674X

First Sentence: In the Nightside, that sour secret hidden heart of London, it’s always three o’clock in the morning and the dawn never comes.

Nightside has gone through changes in power and there is now a new group of Authorities. There is also a new threat. PI Jack Taylor is hired by Walker, Taylor’s friend and enemy, to deal with this
Isabel (kittiwake)
“I’m still worried about the whole unstoppable, invulnerable, wrath of God bit,” I said.
“This from a man who’s fought angels from Above and Below,” said Larry. “At least, according to him.”
“I know my limits,” I said, matching him stare for stare. “I can find the Walking Man. I can talk to him. I can use all kinds of tricks to confuse and divert him . . . but after that, your guess is as good as mine. We’re in unknown territory here.”
“Scared?” said Count Video.
“Bloody right I’m scared!” I said. “
Audrey
Feb 22, 2010 Audrey rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of the unusual
This book was a pleasure to read. Action that didnt stop, a good narrative voice that keeps the reader engaged through some of the most unusual settings and circumstances.Green gives descriptions but does not dress the characters and the scenes for you, he provides you with the general outline of the house and lets you pick the curtains. A talent that is a sorely missed in fiction and seriously under valued.

Nightside isnt your average town, its inhabitants arent exactly Vogue material, but they
Karissa
Dec 30, 2010 Karissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is book 9 in the Nightside series by Simon Green. I love this series and I loved this book. Last I heard there are going to be 12 books in this series; I hope it is more because I enjoy this series immensley.

The Nightside has a new Authority in place but the New Authories have a problem. Walker comes begging John Taylor to deal with it. You see the Walking Man is coming to the Nightside. The Walking Man is a human man that delivers the wrath of God upon humanity. The Walking man sees in bla
Neil
Sep 09, 2013 Neil rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Just Another Judgement Day is Simon R. Green's 9th book in the Nightside series, and finally addresses the power vacuum left by the old Authorities after the Lilith war; but it goes beyond that.

In truth, Just Another Judgement Day is really about developing the characters of John Taylor, Walker and Suzie Shooter, in my humble opinion, this is Green's best book in the series.

Now, this wouldn't be a Nightside book if we didn't get to see new amazing and/or disturbing places within the Nightside, o
Kristin
Jul 07, 2014 Kristin rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I thought this was the most interesting book in the series to date because it asked some very interesting questions about God, beliefs, and judgement through the actions of our protagonists and antagonists. Specifically, who has a right to judge other than [your] God?

The Walking Man is God's enforcer. He kills those who have wronged in God's name. He is immune to bullets, swords, and magics. The Walking Man begins his trip to Nightside by purposely showing Suzie Shooter and John Taylor a very b
David Palazzolo
Sep 14, 2010 David Palazzolo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This ninth installment of the Nightside should have been the eighth as it seemed to address a lot of the issues I had with the eighth. After reading this installment, I can better understand "proof of the Afterlife" might be a thing of great interest (the plot of the 8th novel). Perhaps the order of the 8th and 9th titles come from a certain troubling revelation about Walker. I hope not, as his situation was not presented as one of immediate concern, but rather as something that would be drawn o ...more
Gareth Otton
Nov 14, 2013 Gareth Otton rated it it was ok
Shelves: urban-fantasy
It seems that Simon R Green has actually run out of ideas for this novel as he is now recycling bad guys.

This novel deals briefly with the changes in the nightside and the new authorities. It is mainly about a man called Walker who is the wrathful agent of god who is put on earth to punish those unworthy. Naturally he has left his morality behind some time ago and now John has to stand up to him and put him back in his place.

Now if you think this is familiar then you are right, this book was b
Bill Rogers
Sep 13, 2013 Bill Rogers rated it really liked it
The title wraps up The Nightside in a nutshell. It's Doomsday? Again? That's the third time this month! If The Nightside series has a bad point, it is that there is always another crisis set to doom the world and everybody in it. Somehow, by dint of cheating until reality itself screams foul, John Taylor will find a way to save the day.

I was ready to look down upon this book for having that happen yet again. I was also ready to throw it down in disgust for pulling a Robert Jordan. You know, the
Sheena
Jan 05, 2009 Sheena rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
In the Nightside, that dark part of London where the sun never shines and you can feed any temptation 24/7, things are scarier than usual. Here, where sinners, would-be gods, and things both angelic and demonic reside walks a new character full of divine wrath who will stop at nothing to destroy the Nightside for its own good. John Taylor will have none of that, thank you. Working with the new Authorities, John must confront the unstoppable Walking Man on his holy crusade. Can he forestall Night ...more
Sep 16, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I like that we see one of the more horrifying aspects of the Nightside in this novel. Taylor always talks about the darkness and being able to find any kind of sin, but it's never seemed so overtly evil until now. Finally, it's a little more like an earthside Mephistopolis and less like a paranormal fetish club. Too bad it didn't go deeper into the darkness, but if you heap too much into one book it'll lose its impact, so I can't fault it for that.

(view spoiler)
  • Unfallen Dead (Connor Grey, #3)
  • Mean Streets (Remy Chandler, #1.5; Greywalker, #3.5; Nightside, #9.5; The Dresden Files, #10.5)
  • Blackout (Cal Leandros, #6)
  • Deader Still (Simon Canderous, #2)
  • Where Angels Fear to Tread (Remy Chandler, #3)
  • Thicker Than Water (Felix Castor, #4)
  • Evil Dark (Occult Crimes Unit Investigation, #2)
  • Codespell (Webmage, #3)
  • Dead Streets (Matt Richter #2)
  • Vanished (Greywalker, #4)
  • Poison Sleep (Marla Mason, #2)
41942
Simon Richard Green is a British science fiction and fantasy-author. He holds a degree in Modern English and American Literature from the University of Leicester. His first publication was in 1979.

His Deathstalker series is partly a parody of the usual space-opera of the 1950s, told with sovereign disregard of the rules of probability, while being at the same time extremely bloodthirsty.

Excerpted
More about Simon R. Green...

Nightside (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Something from the Nightside (Nightside, #1)
  • Agents of Light and Darkness (Nightside, #2)
  • Nightingale's Lament (Nightside, #3)
  • Hex and the City (Nightside, #4)
  • Paths Not Taken (Nightside, #5)
  • Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth (Nightside, #6)
  • Hell to Pay (Nightside, #7)
  • The Unnatural Inquirer (Nightside, #8)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Uncanny (Nightside, #10)
  • A Hard Day's Knight (Nightside, #11)

“What is the world coming to, when you can't even trust a rogue vicar and her demon lover?” 20 likes
“Sometimes you can’t save everyone. Sometimes all you can do... is kill a whole bunch of people.” 3 likes