Start by marking “The Age of Fallibility: Consequences of the War on Terror” as Want to Read:
The Age of Fallibility: Consequences of the War on Terror

The Age of Fallibility: Consequences of the War on Terror

3.46  ·  Rating Details  ·  123 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
After reflecting on his support of a losing Democrat for president, George Soros steps back to revisit his views on why George Bush's policies around the world fall short in the arenas most important to Soros: democracy, human rights and open society. As a survivor of the Holocaust and a life-long proponent of free expression, Soros understands the meaning of freedom. And ...more
Published June 12th 2006 by PublicAffairs (first published May 30th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Age of Fallibility, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Age of Fallibility

Fooled by Randomness by Nassim Nicholas TalebThe New Market Wizards by Jack D. SchwagerHot Commodities  by Jim RogersCurrency Wars by James RickardsThe Education of a Speculator by Victor Niederhoffer
Market
11th out of 14 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Louis Lapides
Mar 26, 2016 Louis Lapides rated it it was ok
It was shocking to read how George Soros has no compunction about using his billions to create political global change. He's a leftist version of Donald Trump in many ways on how he views the power his money has given him. I respect him for having passion for his causes and putting his money where his mouth is. However, I have serious issues with how much power one human being can have by using his money. In 2004 Soros spent millions to make sure George Bush was not re-elected. There should be l ...more
Sue Nami
Apr 11, 2016 Sue Nami rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sadly being highly successful financially does not mean such a person can write a good book! But it is a good way to gain some understanding of what makes such a man tick!

What really caught me by surprise appears on page 137. With so much money on hand, why not meddle with the world and get involved in regulatory overreach. Here is what he says....

"The prevailing world order is based on the sovereignty of states and states are entitled to resist outside intervention." My foundations do not hesit
Hannes Andreas
Mar 09, 2015 Hannes Andreas rated it it was amazing
Excellent read. I based part of my dissertation on this thing.
Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/683159.html[return][return]Soros is here attempting to provide the American liberal tradition with a stronger intellectual base. He is disarmingly frank about why he does it:[return][return]"To sum it up, I believe I combine three qualifications. First, I have developed a conceptual framework that has given me a certain understanding of history, and, in particular, what I call far-from-equilibrium situations; second, I have a set of firm ethical and political beliefs; ...more
Zach Freeman
Oct 15, 2007 Zach Freeman rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Politically interested people
Shelves: nonfiction
I had never heard of George Soros until I read an editorial he sent in to the Wall Street Journal. The editorial piqued my interest and so I looked him up and discovered this book.

The Age of Fallibility is very well written and presents very complicated theories in an easy to grasp from. Soros writes with the mentality of someone that really wants to get his point across: He tells you what he is going to talk about, talks about it, and then tells you what he just talked about. This has the affe
Mike S
Jan 31, 2008 Mike S rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who liked Orwell's 1984, or political writings by Chomsky or Vidal
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is so impressive that I have to start my review by stating that I do not currently have the skills I would need to do this book justice.

If you like the political writings of Chomsky and Vidal you'll almost assuredly like this book.

If you liked Orwell's 1984 you will almost assuredly like this book. I would even say that anyone who liked 1984 would find this a modern sequel that is entirely adequate to the task.

In this book we get a very clear and honest look at the current state of t
Maxi Bona
Oct 23, 2007 Maxi Bona rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: ever-read
George Soros devided his book into two parts. In first part which has 2 chapters he tried to explain his conceptual framework. Mr. Soros expalin more deeply about many issues which already familiar in philosophy about mind, reality and as his concern, open society. Mr. Soros concept on these subject influence stronly by his professor Karl Popper. According to Mr. Soros, reality is something that independent from our mind. It means that reality is exist around us and waiting for us to understand ...more
Bob
May 07, 2009 Bob rated it really liked it
Very interesting overview of the current world situation as seen by someone with a lot of world-stage experience. The problems we face are truly daunting, and the combination of political instability, environmental crisis, and energy needs may lead to a perfect storm of global chaos. Soros gives a scathing indictment of the Bush administration's "go it alone" foreign policy, which resulted in stunted or negative progress on all these issues. We can only solve these problems with global cooperati ...more
Oasix21
Sep 22, 2015 Oasix21 rated it really liked it
Offers a different view of the world, one that's held by a small minority of the citizens of Earth. He talks about philosophy, war, and global warming. A second reading might be necessary to grasp a deeper understanding.

In the end it all sums up the Crisis of Global Energy. Soros connects the dot's to this one grand problem, and the offers a grand solution that humanity must undertake before it's to late.

A very good read.
David
Dec 06, 2012 David rated it did not like it
one has to go into the hearts of darkness to realize the darkness..a book which diverge everyone's attention on the American moral ground is constructed and should be led by our government officials which are total bullshit..he is the crook of the century collaborating and affiliating with Rothschild legacy and empire..he who controls the bank controls the countries..to be fooled by the "abnormly" or "normalcy" of what one sees.
Phred
Oct 23, 2009 Phred rated it it was amazing
very interesting philosophically. his analysis of the problems facing the us and the european union, and the rest of the world are insightful and well considered. i agree about his conclusion of americans- we have become a "feel-good society" and are out of touch with reality. nice to see someone disappointed with the status quo who actually has ideas for promoting some change for the better.
Marc
Soros has been piloried by bombastic conservative and timid Americans alike. It challenges the hegemonic attitudes that have prevailed for most of the century. The argument is reasoned and reasonable.
Carrie
Oct 07, 2008 Carrie rated it did not like it
I did not actually finish this book. I do not believe in finishing a book merely because it's been started and this book did not deserve to be finished.
Lama
Jan 13, 2008 Lama rated it it was ok
George Soros should not write in English.
Andrew
Jan 04, 2008 Andrew is currently reading it
This guy is crazy!
Chaoticreader
Chaoticreader marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Ismael
Ismael is currently reading it
Apr 17, 2016
Sue Nami
Sue Nami rated it did not like it
Apr 11, 2016
Stalo
Stalo marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Ubong
Ubong marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
Eliza
Eliza rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2016
Deepika Pundora
Deepika Pundora marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016
Henrik
Henrik marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
MPC
MPC added it
Mar 08, 2016
Mike
Mike rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2016
Nina Selezneva
Nina Selezneva rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2016
Runbigcat
Runbigcat marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
  • The Ground Truth: The Untold Story of America Under Attack on 9/11
  • The Revolt of the Elites and the Betrayal of Democracy
  • The Great Disruption: Human Nature and the Reconstitution of Social Order
  • Daydream Believers: How a Few Grand Ideas Wrecked American Power
  • The Anatomy of Power
  • The Decline of American Power: The U.S. in a Chaotic World
  • The Nature of Rationality
  • Future: Tense: The Coming World Order?
  • Megatrends 2000
  • Managing in the Next Society
  • Radical Priorities
  • Happiness: Lessons from a New Science
  • The Commission: The Uncensored History of the 9/11 Investigation
  • WikiLeaks and the Age of Transparency
  • Manliness
  • Beyond Greed and Fear: Understanding Behavioral Finance and the Psychology of Investing
  • The Aquarian Conspiracy
  • The Art of Short Selling
George Soros is a Hungarian-American financier, businessman and notable philanthropist focused on supporting liberal ideals and causes. He became known as "the Man Who Broke the Bank of England" after he made a reported $1 billion during the 1992 Black Wednesday UK currency crises. Soros correctly speculated that the British government would have to devalue the pound sterling.

Soros is Chairman of
More about George Soros...

“My main concern is with the world order” 4 likes