Start by marking “The War of the Ring: The History of The Lord of the Rings, Part Three (The History of Middle-Earth, # 8)” as Want to Read:

The War of the Ring: The History of The Lord of the Rings, Part Three (The History of The Lord of the Rings #3)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  1,220 ratings  ·  20 reviews
In The War of the Ring Christopher Tolkien takes up the story of the writing of The Lord of the Rings with the Battle of Helm's Deep and the drowning of Isengard by the Ents. This is followed by an account of how Frodo, Sam and Gollum were finally brought to the Pass of Kirith Ungol, at which point J.R.R. Tolkien wrote at the time: 'I have got the hero into such a fix that ...more
Published September 1st 2000 by Mariner Books (first published August 23rd 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The War of the Ring, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The War of the Ring

Luka Novak
This book deals with Tolkien manuscripts and notes at later phase. At this point LOTR already achieved more or less definite form, what was left was fleshing out the details. And this book does just that, shows how events in TT and ROTK were developed into form we know.

Events covered are destruction of Isengard by Ents, confrontation with Saruman, assembly of Rohan, their ride to Minas Tirith and siege of this city and Sam and Frodo's journey to Mordor, including Cirith Ungol and Shelob. As I sa
Phillip
I loved reading this book. Its beauty is in its contribution to both the "History of Middle-Earth" and "The History of the Lord of the Rings" by providing background depth to the "Lord of the Rings" that we all love. It represents the novel from the "Flotsam and Jetsam" chapter to the parley with the 'Mouth of Sauron' scene.

We see Gandalf's evaluation of Saruman's skill as a wizard. Gandalf is shown to agonize over what the palentir was and we see his attempt to discover its place within the sch
Dru
This will be my 12-volume write-up of the entire series "The History of Middle Earth".
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This series is ONLY for the hardcore Tolkien fanatic. Predominantly written by
JRR's son, based on JRR's notes on the creation of The Silmarilion and
The Lord of the Rings (much less on The Hobbit). It is somewhat interesting to
see the evolution of the story (for example, "Strider" was originally conceived as
a Hobbit (one of tho
Neil Coulter

It will probably work out very differently from this plan when it really gets written, as the thing seems to write itself once I get going, as if the truth comes out only then, only imperfectly glimpsed in the preliminary sketch. (219)

This is what J.R.R. Tolkien wrote to his son, Christopher , as he was working out the ending to The Lord of the Rings. This volume, The War of the Ring (Part 3 of The History of The Lord of the Rings series, and Volume 8 of The History of Middle-Earth series), show

Nicholas Whyte

More in-depth analysis of the story of how The Lord of the Rings was written. We start at Helm's Deep, and follow through the end of Book III and Book IV (ie most of The Two Towers and then all of Book V (first half of The Return of the King). Tolkien's biggest problem was getting the chronology to work between four separated groups of protagonists so that they would eventually end up in the same place at the same time; placing the Paths of the Dead smoo
Jane
I've never read any of the History of the Lord of the Rings. I've always wanted to, but would rather reread the Lord of the Rings! But I decided to read The War of the Ring.

While I found it interesting, and in parts extremely interesting, I did not find it mesmerizing. While it is noteworthy to see J.R.R. Tolkien's genius at work, and I especially enjoyed his letters to his son ("A new character has come on the scene (I am sure I did not invent him, I did not even want him, though I like him, bu
Michael Davis
Maybe the best volume of the History of Middle-earth so far. Lots more background on how some of the original parts of The Two Towers and The Return of the King were first written, which is in some cases very differently than what made it into the final versions. Volume nine (which is volume 4 of the History of Lord of the Rings) is on it way.

I wrote about the experience of reading all 12 of these volumes here: http://soundscryer.com/2011/06/13/chr... (part 1) and here: http://soundscryer.com/20
Graham Lee
I find the HoME books pretty useful in understanding the material at hand. Lots of Tolkien's drafts are more focused and faster paced than the finished matter although not internally consistent.
Rossrn Nunamaker
As noted by others, this series is for Tolkien nerds only with the exception of academics or those wanting to understand Tolkien's writing process.

I find each book contains gems of insight. I love learning when Tolkien knew what was going to happen and when he had to work it out.

Looking forward to Sauron defeated, then a re-read ofLOTR.
Kana
Nov 15, 2012 Kana marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tolkien
Summary
My goal for 2013 is to finish the Middle-Earth Universe of books. While doing so I will be following The Tolkien Professor Lectures.
Tyler
Similar to the two previous in the series, this is a lengthy but very interesting book. Wouldn't recommend it unless you are a hardcore Tolkien fan.
Jim
Return of the King was never my favorite Tolkien book. Reading about the making of it wasn't very interesting.
Martin Hernandez
Sólo para los muy clavados en desmenuzar todos los detalles del "Señor de los Anillos"
Fiona Neill
realy interesting read want to read the others now.
Ashwise
An interesting read of the drafts of Lord of the Rings.
Deb
fascinating background for true Tolkien nerds only
Kaitlin
Fascinating, in a totally nerdy kind of way.
Nancy Laney
History of Middle Earth Book 8
Hana Nafa
Hana Nafa marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Miriana Rossi
Miriana Rossi marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Ivan
Ivan marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Esa Putra Bayu
Esa Putra Bayu marked it as to-read
Luke Iantorno
Luke Iantorno marked it as to-read
Charina Joyce Lee
Charina Joyce Lee marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Goodreads Ireland: Tolkien's Irish Inspirations 6 20 Jul 24, 2014 02:02AM
  • The History of the Hobbit, Part Two: Return to Bag-End
  • A Gateway to Sindarin: A Grammar of an Elvish Language from JRR Tolkien's Lord of the Rings
  • Splintered Light: Logos and Language in Tolkien's World
  • The Ring of Words: Tolkien and the Oxford English Dictionary
  • Meditations on Middle Earth: New Writing on the Worlds of J. R. R. Tolkien
  • The Origins of Tolkien's Middle-Earth for Dummies
  • The Journeys of Frodo
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, CBE, was an English writer, poet, WWI veteran (a First Lieutenant in the Lancashire Fusiliers, British Army), philologist, and university professor, best known as the author of the high fantasy classic works The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings .

Tolkien was Rawlinson and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford from 1925 to 1945, and Merton Professor of English lan
More about J.R.R. Tolkien...

The History of The Lord of the Rings (4 books)
  • The Return of the Shadow: The History of The Lord of the Rings, Part One (The History of Middle-Earth, #6)
  • The Treason of Isengard: The History of The Lord of the Rings, Part Two (The History of Middle-earth, #7)
  • The End of the Third Age: The History of The Lord of the Rings, Part Four (The History of Middle-earth, #9a)
The Hobbit (Middle-Earth Universe) The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1) The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3) The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2) The Lord of the Rings (The Lord of the Rings, #1-3)