When You Lunch with the Emperor: The Adventures of Ludwig Bemelmans

When You Lunch with the Emperor: The Adventures of Ludwig Bemelmans

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The legendary bon vivant and author of the Madeline stories lived life like a character in a novel. Wherever he went and whatever he did--getting caught with his toenails painted red by the Gestapo, or discovering the only restaurant with toilets in the Amazon Jungle--Bemelmans' escapades are guaranteed entertainment.
Published September 26th 2006 by Overlook TP (first published November 17th 2005)

Jessica
This book is a collection of short essays/stories from Bemelmans that were not written to be sequential, connected, or cumulative. This makes for perfect reading for someone like me who has been finding it difficult to nail down time to focus on a book for more than 10 minutes at a time or more than two days in a row. I could pick it up, sample a light story, fall asleep, and not feel badly if I didn't return to the book for a week and a half.

Beyond that, the book was good fun. I only knew Bemel...more
Coldsoup753
This is a charming little book of short essays by Ludwig Bemelmans drawn from the lifetime he spent working in the entertainment and hospitality industries. I think the jacket bio gives an accurate idea of what to expect from this book: “Ludwig Bemelmans (1898-1962) wrote more than forty books, including the beloved Madeline books. He wrote for Hollywood, owned restaurants, designed sets for Broadway, and painted everything from magazine covers to hotel frescos. Born in the Austrian Tyrol, he wa...more
Georgia Gross
Bemelmans, best know for writing and illustration of the Madeline books, was raised in the Austrian Tirol and worked in his family's hotel. As a scrappy young man he followed his wayward father to America with excellent hospitality references and secured a job at the Ritz-Carlton in New York. This volume of vignettes is divided into three parts: Childhood, Work, and Play. His quirky, eccentric childhood in the Tirol with his governess, his exagerrated, if not fully fictionalized, exploits and ex...more
Lisa
This book started out charming and became even better. "Little Bit and the America" was one of the most amusing stories I've ever read, I loved "Prison Visit," and the last two stories were fabulous too -- the first made me tear up, and the second made me crack up. Bemelmans describes scenes and people with a sharp, quirky eye and a great affection for all. His famous children's books about Madeline are certainly classics, but I don't understand why his other books (like this one) are not better...more
Elizabeth
My friend, Elizabeth, lent me this book and I loved reading this book. It is all about the life and times of Ludwig Bemelmans, the author of the Madeline books. He was the kind of man who enjoyed the finer things in life but had to slog away in the hotel industry for many years before he got to do that. Bemelmans was adventurous and pretty wild as a young man and all of his exploits make a pretty interesting read.
Jenny Kellogg
Mar 22, 2008 Jenny Kellogg is currently reading it
This book is the companion to Hotel Bemelmans. From what I can tell, the publisher took a bunch of out of print Bemelmans books and mashed them together in a vaguely coherent way. Nevertheless, Bemelmans is delightful and I recommend these books for reading in bed (especially if you have someone to read them to).
Claire
This is a charming collection of essays by the same man who created the children's book character Madeleine and decorated the walls of the King Cole Bar at the St. Regis in NYC. He's had quite a life and is able to tell about the good and bad in a way that is classy and effervescent.
Julie Mccuen
I really loved some of the stories, they were fun - 5 star quality :). However, there were many that were a little dull and not as funny.
Myra
Very funny though sometimes hard to follow because of the syntax
Refmonster
This is not Madeline.
Glynn
May 28, 2010 Glynn marked it as to-read
Shelves: set-aside
Madeline this is not.
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Rihong
Rihong marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Cassie
Cassie marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Liesel Rios
Liesel Rios marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Eva
Eva marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Lety Palacio
Lety Palacio marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Benjamin Conner
Benjamin Conner marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Ludwig Bemelmans was an Austrian author, an internationally known gourmet, and a writer and illustrator of children's books. He is most noted today for his Madeline books, six of which were published from 1939-1961. A seventh was discovered after his death and published posthumously in 1999.
More about Ludwig Bemelmans...
Madeline Madeline's Rescue Madeline and the Bad Hat Mad About Madeline: The Complete Tales Madeline in London