Start by marking “Runaways, Vol. 1 (Runaways, #1)” as Want to Read:
Runaways, Vol. 1 (Runaways, #1)

Runaways, Vol. 1 (Runaways #1)

4.02  ·  Rating Details ·  17,191 Ratings  ·  606 Reviews
Meet Alex, Karolina, Gert, Chase, Molly and Nico - six young friends whose lives are about to take an unexpected dramatic turn. Discovering their parents are all secretly super-villains, together the teens run away from home and vow to turn the tables on their evil legacy!
Unknown Binding
Published April 28th 2004 by Tandem Library

To ask other readers questions about Runaways, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Jan Philipzig
“What If They’re Not Good Guys?”

Deuteronomy 5:16
“Honor your father and your mother, as the LORD your God has commanded you, that your days may be prolonged...”

Reverence for parental figures has traditionally been held up as an untouchable virtue in superhero comics, with heroes like the Batman and Spider-Man devoting their entire lives to the memory of their guardians. But what if those guardians don’t actually deserve all that reverence? What if they were never as benevolent as we were brought
Sh3lly ✨ Bring on the Weird ✨
So there's this group of kids who grew up seeing each other occasionally while their rich parents discussed fundraisers and whatever else rich adults talk about privately. The kids never think anything of it as the years pass, and then one day (how time flies), they're teenagers, and decide to spy on their parents having one of their "meetings." HOLY BATMAN - they're actually super villains called The Pride!!!

That's the premise of this series, and of course, the kids discover their parents kept
Sam Quixote
Mar 11, 2015 Sam Quixote rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mums and dads play a major role in superhero stories. Frequently they are the hero’s main motivation for becoming the superhero in the first place: Bruce Wayne’s parents were shot dead, Kal-El’s parents’ last act was to send him to Earth where he became Superman, Peter Parker’s father figure Uncle Ben was killed by a mugger, Hal Jordan’s dad died in a plane crash, Odin gave Thor his powers by forging Mjolnir, Charles Xavier shepherded untold numbers of young mutants to realise their full potenti ...more
Scarlet Cameo
Dec 05, 2015 Scarlet Cameo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!!!!!
What would you do if you discover that your parents are super villains? And if, after that, you find out that yourself have powers?

Fucking awesome photo tumblr_lnbcsmF6Ss1qcado6.gif

That's the premise of this history and let's be real,if you have a tons of teenagers for that plot it can be really awesome or a total disaster. In this case we have a incredible story.

But, what is what make it so good? First, this isn't the typical superheroes comics. Yes, it shows the moment when discover their powers, or abilities or artefacts that let them fight
Elizabeth
Cute premise, cute drawings, cute dinosaur. Occasional shocking violence. Fun combination!
Sesana
Feb 28, 2013 Sesana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: superhumans, comics
A fun read, but so far really preoccupied with setting up the plot. At the very end of the first book, we've just gotten to the premise of the series: a group of teenagers discover that their parents are actually powerful supervillains and go on the run. This time, I don't actually mind that it took so long to get the plot running, because the setup is necessary and because we need an introduction to what's actually a pretty big cast of characters. The teens are likeable enough that I want to ke ...more
Rebecca McNutt
Aug 29, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazing! It was funny, exciting, thrilling and the imaginative characters are totally unforgettable. Definitely worth reading. :)
Anna  (Bananas!)
This was pure fun and I didn't want to put it down once I started. Six kids discover their parents are supervillains and band together to fight against them. Perfect for teens but adults will enjoy this too. There's a twist at the end that makes you want to keep reading - so I'm starting Vol 2 tonight.
 photo Runaways2_zpse81384ce.jpg

First impressions:
Alex - I see potential in his super smarts. He also seems like the sensitive one.
Nico - a cool goth girl, hooray!
Chase - seems kind of dumb but I'll give him the bene
Taha
Nov 29, 2015 Taha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Patrick Rothfuss'un yorumunu görüp okumaya karar verdiğim "harika" bir çizgi romandı.
Özellikle karakterlerin farklılığını çok beğendim:) 6 ana karakter de harikaydı bence.
description
-Çizgi roman, 6 ergenin, ailelerinin "Pride" isimli bir gruba bağlı süper-kötüler olduğunu öğrenip birlikte ailelerinden kaçarak kendilerini ve dünyayı kurtarmaya çalışmalarını anlatıyor. En azından ilk cilt bu şekilde ilerliyor:)
-Kitaptaki her karakterin farklı savaş taktikleri olması (çocukların hepsi mutant değil) özellikle
MissAnnThrope
10 July 2013

This series would be excellent for anyone killing time waiting for the next Morning Glories to be released. Murder, corruption, time-travel - who can resist? Granted, Runaways, Vol. 1: Pride and Joy is a bit more PG-13 and isn't nearly as gory, but hot damn is it fun!

This volume engages you from the very first page and keeps the excitement going up until the very last page. It's Brian K. Vaughan, so the writing is top-notch and almost feels like you're watching a psychological/actio
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Reviews:

I've now got a fangirl crush on Brian K. Vaughan. What an amazing writer! Who hasn't imagined he or she was on the run from the parents? I love how this book takes one of my favorite plot devices - being on the run - and combines it with a great, diverse cast of likeable characters.

I'm going to get poor from all the amazing comic book series I keep finding!
Alexa
Apr 02, 2016 Alexa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
Thoroughly amused by the premise of this novel! It's real interesting to witness these young teens coming to terms with what they discover. But the tone definitely makes it seem a little young! Still curious as to what they plan to do.
Christopher
Jul 22, 2015 Christopher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2015
Jessica-Robyn
To see a preview of the art be sure to check out this review on my blog, Reading Robyn.

A lot of people these days cringe when they hear the words "origin story" and I can't blame them. There's only so many times you can be told about Superman's fall to earth or how Spider-Man gets those fancy web-slingers. When it comes to the guys that have been around longer then I've been around I think it's safe to say we get the point. Despite this though, I have always had a thing for origins, especially w
CJ - It's only a Paper Moon
Good art, good story and in a world where superheroes are real why wouldn't it make sense that Super Villains are as well.

What happens when villain's have babies and those babies grow up to be teenagers with a wavering sense of right and wrong but understand the value of good and evil?

When parents are willing to kill their children, frame them for murder and give them pet raptors - it's a crazy mixed up world.

With classic rock references, modern day references and an old movie or two it's gonna
Mar 30, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sheer awesome. Teenage superhero runaways with a real sense of psychology. Only problem I have is that Molly, who is supposed to be 11, acts like she's 7 or younger. It drives me nuts. I can't wait to see where this series is going and hope that they tell me why Alex is so gung-ho from the very beginning that their parents are evil. If they don't, writing flaw, if they do, thank gawd that wasn't a mistake in characterization.
Gary Butler
Nov 17, 2014 Gary Butler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
76th book read in 2014.

Number 17 out of 419 on my all time book list.

Follow the link below to see my video review:

Mike
I read this book years ago - probably when it was still an active series in its early, obsessive days of new wild-eyed fans who couldn't believe comics could be this good.

At the time I thought it was a little juvenile for my tastes - who would I be kidding, a grown man reading a comic about a group of teenagers? So I think I put it away and tried to forget how skeezy I felt, and returned to stuff that was a little more age-appropriate (or at least didn't make me think of how many perverts droole
Anna (Yoda Is My Spirit Animal)
So, I really and truly enjoyed this one! I liked each of the teens and felt they all brought something important to the group dynamic. Basically, this is the story of six teens who have known each other their whole lives. They are not friends, their parents just do business once a year and they're forced to hang out; but this year, they go snooping and find out their parents are a powered, super-villain group called the Pride!!! Turns out the annual charity fundraiser meeting is really the annua ...more
Lyndsey
This is basically the quintessential teen comic. What teen wouldn't love to discover that their parents are actually evil, confirming all the natural suspicions that come at that age?

Well, enter the Runaways. A group of kids who's parents meet in secret at regular intervals throughout the years. These supervillian adults, who call themselves The Pride, keep a not-secret-enough hidden passageway, where they clad themselves in tights and leather and are discovered by their adolescent children in
StoryTellerShannon
What if teenagers found out their super rich yet boring parents were super villains and tried to turn them in? The first volume deals with the family relationships and the various realizations. The kids make a lot of pop culture references from 5-10 years back or more so you may have to look these up online or ignore it.

Myles
I read this while I was interning at the local public library when it first came out, and I thought it was a pretty good. Seeing it and the second volume in the bookswap, I got them and my opinion stays the same. It sure as hell is more in-tune with kids and teens then the Power Pack ever were (remember them? ha!).

It is just because of that on-the-pulse touch that will date Runaways in time, if it hasn't already. I will be the first to admit that what kids are into these days baffle me, one of
Deanna
Nov 18, 2015 Deanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm really liking this so far. I plan to finish up the series and do a review of the whole thing.

Spoilers

This is a review of the first 10 graphic novels in this series. This series started off strong. I'd probably finish up if they were all on Scribd, but I'm just not interested enough to go on from here. The Art kept changing throughout this series which I found distracting. Volumes 8 and 9 in particular weren't my cup of tea, and I thought several of the volumes were just filler. So my rating
Kim
Oh I am so sad I missed out on these comics 10 years ago when I was among the target demographic. Still a lot of fun but it would've been super fun to have been a teen, identifying that much more strongly with the characters. Now I suppose I have the nostalgia factor which is also fun. AIM handles! Cell phones too primitive to even be flip phones! Outdated pop culture references! Wonderful. Oh and there is a pet dinosaur. A. pet. dinosaur.

Charming, funny, action-packed, and might there be a hin
Jackie "the Librarian"
Apr 02, 2008 Jackie "the Librarian" rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ages 12 and up
Great start to a new twist on superhero graphic novels. What if the kids of the villains found out about them, and decided to take them down? Each of the kids has some kind of superpower thing going for them, plus the element of surprise on their side.
It's witty and the characters are an appealing group of misfits. The main character is black, which is unusual for the genre.
I can't wait to read the second volume!
VeganMedusa
Cool. A bunch of teens who have not much in common except their parents, decide to eavesdrop on the annual meeting. Find out their parents are supervillains, see them sacrifice a woman. Every teenager already thinks their parents are evil, but to find out it's true? What to do next? This promises to be a fun series. I especially like that one family are vegan pacifist hippy-types. Surely they couldn't be evil? Oh yeah, they could.
Nikki
Runaways seems like fun, though I'm mostly reading it because of the crossover event with Young Avengers in Civil War. I think it's probably aimed at a younger audience than most Marvel stuff -- the characters are the same age as the Young Avengers or younger, and the art is nice but seems less mature. I enjoyed reading it, anyway, and I'm going to read more -- if only to find out who the mole mentioned in the last section is. I like that it's a mostly female team, too!
Rachel
Aug 06, 2015 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was okay for me. I enjoyed the art but I just felt that the kids were way to immature and bratty. I understand that you probably wouldn't react rationally if you found out your parents are super villains but still, I think a lot more could have been solved by simply listening. Of course, then we wouldn't have a graphic novel series then would we?
Raquel V
Nov 08, 2015 Raquel V rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun story, perfect for a teen audience. Amazing ilustrations.
Adults may find this a little too "oh, really?" for their tastes, but if you take it with a grain of salt, it's a great play on the heroes vs. vilains trope.
I can't wait to find out what happens next!
  • Runaways, Vol. 8: Dead End Kids (Runaways, #8)
  • Runaways, Vol. 10: Rock Zombies (Runaways, #10)
  • Runaways, Vol. 11: Homeschooling (Runaways, #11)
  • Young Avengers, Volume 1: Sidekicks
  • Morning Glories, Vol. 1: For a Better Future
  • Young Avengers, Volume 1: Style > Substance
  • Captain Marvel, Volume 2: Down
  • Ms. Marvel, Vol. 4: Last Days
Born in Cleveland in 1976, Brian K. Vaughan is the Eisner, Harvey, and Shuster Award-winning writer and co-creator of the critically acclaimed comics series Y: The Last Man, Runaways, and Ex Machina (picked as one of the ten best works of fiction of 2005 by Entertainment Weekly).

Recently named "Writer of the Year" by Wizard Magazine, and one of the “top ten comic writers of all time” by Comic Boo
More about Brian K. Vaughan...

Runaways (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Runaways, Vol. 2: Teenage Wasteland (Runaways, #2)
  • Runaways, Vol. 3: The Good Die Young (Runaways, #3)
  • Runaways, Vol. 4: True Believers (Runaways, #4)
  • Runaways, Vol. 5: Escape to New York (Runaways, #5)
  • Runaways, Vol. 6: Parental Guidance (Runaways, #6)
  • Runaways, Vol. 7: Live Fast (Runaways, #7)
  • Runaways, Vol. 8: Dead End Kids (Runaways, #8)
  • Runaways, Vol. 9: Dead Wrong (Runaways, #9)
  • Runaways, Vol. 10: Rock Zombies (Runaways, #10)
  • Runaways, Vol. 11: Homeschooling (Runaways, #11)

“How is it possible that our parents lied to us?"

"Lets see: Santa, the Tooth Fairy,the Easter bunny,um, God. You're the prettiest kid in school. This wont hurt a bit. Your face will freeze like that..."

"Everythings going to be alright.”
115 likes
“Okay, is anyone else worried that some of the fruit didn't fall far enough away from the tree?” 9 likes