Start by marking “Merry Christmas, Big Hungry Bear!” as Want to Read:
Merry Christmas, Big Hungry Bear!

Merry Christmas, Big Hungry Bear!

4.12  ·  Rating Details ·  1,100 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
The long-awaited sequel to Don & Audrey Wood's mega-bestselling, award-winning classic THE BIG HUNGRY BEAR (1984), which has sold more than 18 million copies in hardcover worldwide.

Painted in acrylics using the same technique and the same paper as the bestseller THE LITTLE MOUSE, THE RED RIPE STRAWBERRY AND THE BIG HUNGRY BEAR, this delightful picture book brings back
Published October 1st 2002 by Blue Sky Press

To ask other readers questions about Merry Christmas, Big Hungry Bear!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Merry Christmas, Big Hungry Bear!

Dec 17, 2016 Sarah rated it really liked it
I think I'm getting soft. This book made me tear up. Poor bear! I need to lay off the Hallmark Christmas Movies. They're affecting my sensibilities.
babyhippoface
Dec 12, 2008 babyhippoface rated it really liked it
I love the little mouse. He makes great facial expressions. I really like to read this to Kindergarten, then ask them to guess what's inside the giant present from the big, hungry bear. I always get some entertaining guesses...a giant cheese, a robot, a toy, a teddy bear, the bear himself. My favorites are usually the odd things, the ideas that make you say, "Just what exactly is going on inside this kid's head?" Like, "a carpet" (um, okay), "a big, giant, POKEMON!" (the answer bubbled up from i ...more
Audry
Jun 04, 2010 Audry rated it it was amazing
This picture book is so very cute and fun! It's one of my favorites. It's a story of little Mouse, who has lots of Christmas presents, but is afraid of the big, hungry bear who loves Christmas presents in the cold, dark cave at the top of the hill. Little Mouse puts chains on the presents and nails boards on his door to keep out the big bear. Then he starts feeling sorry for the bear who never gets any presents. So he decides to take his presents to the top of the hill for the bear, and he gets ...more
Hannah Cobb
Dec 21, 2011 Hannah Cobb rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime
Little mouse has a mountain of presents under his tree on Christmas Eve. He is afraid that the big hungry bear who lives up the mountain will steal all his gifts, so he chains them to the tree and nails his door shut. Then he starts thinking about how sad the lonely bear will be with no presents of his own on Christmas morning--so the brave mouse takes some of his presents to the bear. Beautiful, almost jewel-toned illustrations and the theme of giving make this a great Christmas book for ages 3 ...more
Rosa Cline
Jan 25, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids, christmas
This book had a 'sweet thought' to it but just didn't catch and keep my granddaughter and mine attention. It's written as if the reader is talking to the mouse in the book. Making him feel guilty and sorry for the bear in the cave all alone. He does take him his gifts even though he's kind of scared which was nice...but the story just didn't flow like I would have liked, it was choppy and at times you had to turn the page back to make sure you didn't skip a page by mistake.
Erin
Dec 09, 2011 Erin rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Follows the same concept as the original story not quite as good but, it's fun and sweet story.
Stacia Leigh
Dec 17, 2013 Stacia Leigh rated it it was amazing
Cute story the way it's written and paired with the illustrations.
Heather
Dec 31, 2010 Heather rated it really liked it
31 months - If you've read the original and loved it you'll enjoy this one with a Christmas twist.
Buddy
Oct 14, 2008 Buddy rated it it was amazing
This is always under our Christmas tree so we can read it over and over.
Barbara
Feb 01, 2017 Barbara rated it it was amazing
This Big Bear and his friends are just so sweet. Sweet story, great illustrations. Top of my list for all children!!
Naomi
Dec 28, 2016 Naomi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
Guilt trip much? And no resolution. Eh. - Mom
Stephanie Tiner
Mar 19, 2016 Stephanie Tiner rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, kids-books
Mouse is ready for Christmas. His tree is decorated, His presents are wrapped, his stocking is hung; he is ready for Santa to come. But what about his neighbor the big, hungry Bear. Bear loves presents, but he never gets any because everyone is afraid. What can one little mouse do to help Bear have a wonderful Christmas?
My kids and I love this book. The illustrations are bright and engaging. They really help to capture the Christmas spirit. The images are very important to this story since the c
Sandy
Dec 13, 2015 Sandy rated it it was amazing
Love this! I love little mouse and this sequel is even more precious. Little mouse has to protect his presents from the Big Hungry Bear, but how? Little mouse’s facial expressions are just priceless in this novel! Little mouse tries to cover his presents up with a blanket, next he drags a big heavy chain and lock in and ties that around them but we all know that Big Hungry Bear will do anything to get what he wants. As the story continues, little mouse is frantic on what to do to save his presen ...more
Jess
Dec 19, 2010 Jess rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: preschool / kindergarten kids and teachers
Recommended to Jess by: Other awesome Audrey and Don Wood books
Shelves: picture-books, z_10
Mouse is preparing for Christmas and obviously he needs to protect his presents from the big hungry bear. Right? What? The big hungry bear never gets any presents? Not even from Santa? Oh no.

Big fan of this one. Anyone who liked The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear (and who didn't?) will love this Christmas sequel. It's got perfect tension for preschool/kindergarten, a bit of a surprise, many things going on in the large illustrations, and lots of things to talk abo
Drew Graham
Jan 11, 2014 Drew Graham rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
The Little Mouse is back, and this time he's all ready for Christmas. But he worries what might happen if the Big, Hungry Bear decides he wants to steal all of his presents...

When they started reading this at Book Babies at the library last December my childhood mind was thoroughly blown that there was a follow-up to one of our family's favorite children's books. My eyes popped and my jaw dropped as I took in the same charm and fun and tone and feeling of the original book, but with a delightful
Valerie
Dec 31, 2011 Valerie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jack
A wonderfully illustrated Christmas read - The Napping House by the same authors is also beautifully illustrated, but in muted "napping" colors. This book is an explosion of colors.
Little Mouse is all ready for Christmas. When he hears that Big Hungry Bear likes presents, he starts to barricade his little home. Then he learns that the Big Hungry Bear never gets any presents, not even from Santa. Little Mouse has a change of heart and decides to bring his Christmas decorations to the Big Hungry
Lisa
Dec 22, 2011 Lisa rated it it was amazing
I have always loved the Little Mouse and the Big Hungrry Bear story, and this Christmas story did not disappoint. Little Mouse is getting ready for Christmas, and does everything he can to protect his presents from the Big Hungry Bear, that is until he finds out that nobody ever gives presents to the bear. He then loads p a sled and sneaks to the bear's cave and gives him a Christmas surprise, only to find that the bear gives him a gift as well. Love the illustrations, love the writing, and love ...more
Samantha
Dec 10, 2011 Samantha rated it liked it
I really liked the illustrations. The story itself was very nice, especially heartwarming for the Christmas season.

However, I would really have liked to see Big Hungry Bear. The story mentions him quite a bit but we never get to see him. I wanted to see if he was really as big and hungry as they say. I'm sure he's not, but there is no confirmation. A better ending would have been for Mouse and Bear to become friends and spend Christmas TOGETHER instead of alone. =)
Rose
Dec 04, 2011 Rose rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-book, fantasy
This is a cute Christmas book that talks about a bear who does not ever get anything for Christmas. Then a brave mouse brings the bear Christmas presents and the bear is so happy. This would be a good book to read to talk about the beginning, middle, and end because it has such distinctive beginning, middle, and end.
Library Quine
Little mouse is ready for Christmas; lovely tree, lots of presents. He's reminded that big hungry bear loves presents too, but never gets one. Little mouse overcomes his fear of the bear and delivers a present to him only to discover a surprise for himself. A nice reminder to small children to think of others at Christmas time.
Rebecca
Sep 18, 2010 Rebecca rated it really liked it
I loved this book and it's one I read to my kids every Christmas. When they were younger they insisted I read it all year long too. The illustrations are beautiful,colorful and fun. A great book for preschoolers especially.
Alexandria
Dec 06, 2011 Alexandria rated it really liked it
This book tells how big hungry bear doesn't get anything for Christmas not even from Santa Claus although little mouse wants to give him a present, but when he gets there is already a present from hungry bear to him.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Dec 29, 2009 Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, christmas
Little Mouse has quite the stack of presents under the tree—for himself---but what about Big Hungry Bear who never gets a present and would do anything, ANYTHING, to get one? Best part: Sometimes things that look scary aren’t what they appear. Ages 2-8.
Meg McGregor
Feb 22, 2014 Meg McGregor rated it really liked it
A heart-warming story perfect at Christmas time or any day of the year!

Mouse is sad that Big Hungry Bear gets no presents - not even from Santa! That is so sad that he decides to bring Bear Christmas!
Kate Hastings
Nov 10, 2007 Kate Hastings rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Pre-K and K
Shelves: christmas-books
Mouse is afraid that bear will steal his Christmas presents and decorations, so he locks them up and hides them, until the narrator points out that the bear is alone and never gets any presents. Mouse decides to bring Christmas to the Bear.
Dolly
Dec 11, 2010 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, christmas, 2010
Cute children's book about giving during the Christmas season. The illustrations are adorable and the narrative is short and simple, good for reading aloud with young children. It's a fun story to read at bedtime.
Tricia
Dec 16, 2010 Tricia rated it really liked it
Little mouse and the Big Hungry Bear again are a winning combination is this sweet story about a bear without presents...and a mouse brave enough to share. The mouse character is one of my favorites ever illustrated. Who but Don Wood could give so much determined personality to a little mouse?
Amynicole
Oct 14, 2015 Amynicole rated it it was amazing
once again the Woods knock it out of the park, this time with a sweet Christmas story staring The Little Mouse. great illustrations and fun story. I've yet to be disappointed from this amazing couple!
Patty
Jul 10, 2013 Patty rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-picture
The illustrations are absolutely adorable in this story, in which the writer is talking to the little mouse in the story. My only disappointment was that we never get to see the big hungry bear. It is cute and we enjoyed it.

Liz
Dec 18, 2015 Liz rated it it was amazing
This book is a blast to read out loud. I've read it several times at Christmas over the years and tonight, just for fun, I read it out loud to my dog, JJ. She wasn't impressed but I sure had fun! The pictures are so colorful and expressive!
  • Mortimer's Christmas Manger
  • I'll Be Home For Christmas (Toot & Puddle)
  • Mary Engelbreit's A Merry Little Christmas: Celebrate from A to Z
  • The Mouse Before Christmas
  • Santa Duck
  • Auntie Claus and the Key to Christmas
  • Why Christmas Trees Aren't Perfect
Audrey Wood studied art and drama at the Arkansas Art Center in Little Rock, Arkansas. She has owned an operated a book and import store, taught chldren's drama and art, and traveled throughout Mexico and Guatemala studying Indian folk art. She now lives in Hawaii with her talented family (husband Don and son Bruce, who have both collaborated with Audrey by illustrating some of her books).
More about Audrey Wood...