Start by marking “The Nag Hammadi Scriptures” as Want to Read:
The Nag Hammadi Scriptures

The Nag Hammadi Scriptures

s/t: The Revised & Updated Translation of Sacred Gnostic Texts Complete in One Volume
This is the most complete, up-to-date, one-volume, English-language edition of the renowned library of fourth-century Gnostic manuscripts discovered in Egypt in 1945, which rivaled the Dead Sea Scrolls find in significance.
Published May 26th 2009 by HarperOne

To ask other readers questions about The Nag Hammadi Scriptures, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nag Hammadi Scriptures

Ariadne Green
Jan 14, 2014 Ariadne Green rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have read and studied the Nag Hammadi Library for 20 years. The codices are beautifully translated with minimum commentaries.
It is The Bible of Gnostic Christianity. To be cherished and studied regularly.
Spencer
Mar 17, 2014 Spencer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's all very interesting. The Gnostics are often closer to what feels true than more exoteric Christianity, but at the same time, some of it really does seem far-fetched, even if it is supposed to be "symbolic."
Velma Sampson
Feb 03, 2013 Velma Sampson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Scripture/Bible students.
Shelves: religion
Great resource of scriptures that never made it into today's versions of the Bible/Torah. It's not something you sit down and "read" in one sitting. It is a great book for cross-referencing with today's versions of the Bible if you are trying to figure out what was "actually" written or said!
Rhina M. Finley
Jan 15, 2013 Rhina M. Finley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-books
I thought it was odd how these scriptures were found. They didn't stay hidden inside the caves, they were meant to be discover. I've been reading this on and off over the past couple of years and the Dead Sea Scrolls.
Junkie for the Written Word
I can't say that I read the book in it's entirety but I did read the actual texts and a few of the explanatory passages that accompanied them.

Very eye opening. I can see why they were not included in the Bible.
Dusan
Mar 17, 2013 Dusan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why does a person read The Nag Hammadi Library? One can feel the fire of change, almost a revolutionary knife edge that since the church has dulled into the most backward reactionary worship of crucified god.... in the Testimony of Truth stands, "For no one who is under the Law will be able to look up to the truth, for they will not be able to serve two masters. For the defilement of the Law is manifest; but undefilement belongs to the light."
Maureen
Mar 02, 2012 Maureen marked it as to-read
"When I came down, no one saw me, for I kept changing my forms on high, transforming from shape to shape, so when I was at their gates, I assumed their likeness. I passed by them quietly. I saw their realms, but I was not afraid or ashamed, because I was pure. I was speaking with them and mingling with them, through those who are mine" (480).
Rhonda
Feb 12, 2009 Rhonda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
Typically when one does any scholarship, he or she uses source material relatively close to the font of that source. In this particular case, all of these books or letters were written in the second century. In addition, there is not any record that any of the writers of the epistles actually knew Jesus. We have names which imply that actual apostles wrote them, but there is no evidence whatsoever to support this and in fact, considerable evidence against it. In addition, these texts were found ...more
Tess Rupprecht
While listening to the preaching of Pastor David Jeremiah, he mentioned that while the Apocrypha is not part of the canonical books of the bible it is nonetheless accurate and historical. I got really interested to find out which other books did not make it to the bible. So I did a research on these books which were read and studied by early Christians. Then one Saturday while the kids and I were in our local library I chance upon this book called "The Nag Hammadi Scriptures". This book turned o ...more
Derek Davis
Dec 05, 2016 Derek Davis rated it it was amazing
If you like the convoluted, mystical and almost impenetrable side of early Christian religion, this is for you, as it is for me. I haven't absorbed all of it by any means, but it reflects the most interior workings of the human mind: the emotional aspect of life subjected to the brutality of reason in an effort to Make Sense of It All. These Gnostic studies and ragtags were unearthed in 1945, roughly 1600 years after being condemned and the very ideas virtually annihilated by the orthodox Church ...more
Thomas Walsh
Nov 07, 2014 Thomas Walsh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is jaw-dropping Theology! These were the book the Church decided NOT to include in the Bible. For some, like Mary Madelene, Peter's Apocalypse and Thomas' Faith, and, yes, Judas, too, it is a great loss to us. But for others, the Church elders may have been correct. With a preface from a religious scholar, Elaine Pagels, these books are a dip into the world of the Essene culture, and can provide a clear preview of Gnosticism. Christ is not just Matthew, Mark Luke and John. O no, like any co ...more
Lisa Lavelle
Reading the Magdalene Line by Kathleen McGowan piqued my interest in finding out more about Mary Magdalene (and the role of women in religion)... and other aspects of the history of early Christianity.
Emma
May 26, 2014 Emma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
I will never understand this book
(and I will never finish it).

I hate it. And I completely adore it.
Misty
The Nag Hammadi Library was discovered in Egypt in 1945. The Gnostic Gospels had been destroyed, but were found in Nag Hammadi.
Bruce Morton
Sep 05, 2011 Bruce Morton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Want one place to go to understand the original Gnostic Writings? This is it.
John
nonfiction,theology
Craig Bolton
"Nag Hammadi Scriptures, The: The International Edition by Marvin Meyer (2007)"
Gregory
I read this twice.
It's one of those things that should be read with an open mind and a prayerful heart.
Sifting truth from error is not always an easy task.
If you are LDS, you will find many many many items that support Latter-day Saint Doctrine.
Deborah
have another book ! so much to read so little time. My church introduced us to The Interior Castle by St Teresa of Avila. And I 'm on last 2 steps of Joy book . help ! Back to Hammadi scriptures soon.
Sharaa
Dec 01, 2010 Sharaa marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I have had this book for months and have only just begun reading, as it does contain a lot of research-heavy text. But, also, scriptures that provide alternate perspectives. Always intriguing.
Princessofwails
May 04, 2013 Princessofwails rated it really liked it
As others have commented, it's a fascinating book - one for dipping into, rather than reading straight off.
Maggie Hall
Oct 05, 2016 Maggie Hall rated it really liked it
Well I now know a lot more about the Gnostics. What a complicated mythology!
A.L
Dec 08, 2010 A.L rated it it was amazing
Very interesting!
Naomi
Oct 21, 2011 Naomi rated it really liked it
A lovely, complete edition of the Gnostic Christian scriptures. Could do with a bit more editorial comment in places, but otherwise very good.
Julie
Nov 08, 2016 Julie rated it it was amazing
A fascinating look into the "heretical" Christian literature, excellent translations and preface for historical context.
Christopher Van wert
Christopher Van wert rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2016
Hoomer
Hoomer rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2015
William Wallace
William Wallace rated it liked it
Dec 02, 2014
Michael Goglia
Michael Goglia rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2015
sharon in Hercules
sharon in Hercules rated it liked it
May 08, 2016
  • The Complete Gospels: Annotated Scholar's Version
  • The Emerald Tablet: Alchemy of Personal Transformation
  • The Essential Kabbalah: The Heart of Jewish Mysticism
  • Learning Theology with the Church Fathers: The Clarity of Scripture
  • The Secrets of Judas: The Story of the Misunderstood Disciple & His Lost Gospel
  • The Five Books of Moses: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy (The Schocken Bible, Volume 1)
  • Orthodox Psychotherapy
  • The Old Testament Pseudepigrapha: Apocalyptic Literature and Testaments
  • Stories with Intent: A Comprehensive Guide to the Parables of Jesus
  • Absolute Relativism: The New Dictatorship and What to Do about It
  • The Aquarian Gospel of Jesus the Christ
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...

“Focus your attention upon yourselves. Do not focus your attention upon other things—that is, what you have cast away from yourselves. Do not return to eat what you have vomited. Do not be moth-eaten, do not be worm-eaten, for you have already gotten rid of that. Do not be a place for the devil, for you have already destroyed him. Do not strengthen what stands in your way, what is collapsing, to support it. One who is lawless is nothing. Treat the lawless one more harshly than the just one, for the lawless does what he does because he is lawless, but the just does what he does with people because he is righteous. Do the Father’s will, then, for you are from him.” 1 likes
“What did Jesus say to you? Thomas said to them: If I tell you one of the words which he said to me, you will take up stones (and) throw them at me; and a fire will come out of the stones (and) burn you up.
[Gospel of Thomas - 13]”