Start by marking “Haiku Baby” as Want to Read:

Haiku Baby

IN TICKLY-TOE GRASS
a buttercup offers up
yellow nose kisses.

The simple delights in baby’s natural world—a bird, a fish, a leaf, a snowflake, a raindrop—are celebrated in the traditional Japanese poetic form, the haiku. In just 17 syllables, a moment, a season, the elements are joyfully captured. This peaceful little board book has tabs to encourage little hands to turn the
Board Book, 14 pages
Published May 27th 2008 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Haiku Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Haiku Baby

Samantha Penrose
Dec 13, 2008 Samantha Penrose rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: lovers of nature, poetry, and pretty pictures
Shelves: kids-books, haiku
I came across this book by accident in my libraries online catalog and was not expecting much....I was quite surprised at what a fantastic little book this is! Not only are the illustrations adorable, but the poetry is great as well.
Each page has a tab with a picture indicating the subject matter of the poem. The subject is written in English, and drawn as a Japanese character preceding each poem. (rain, flower, sun, leaf, snow and moon.)
The poems adhere to the 5-7-5 rule and are beautiful and a
Christina
Jul 31, 2008 Christina rated it it was amazing
This is one of the sweetest little children's books I've come across!

The illustrations are gorgeous and darling (yes, darling is so NOT my typical language, but I don't care!), vivid and mesmerizing. And the text is what good haiku should be: perfectly and deliberately chosen.

When I first was taught about haiku, I scorned it. But now I understand how delicate and marvelous a form it is. This work for children does it such justice! I'm absolutely enthralled.
Susan Sonnen
May 25, 2013 Susan Sonnen rated it it was amazing
A fabulous little board book filled with delightful haiku and colorful illustrations that will engage your baby over and over again!
Leslie Stair
I use this book for my Baby and Me Music and Art Class

I read this book aloud and demonstrated the ASL signs for; wind and rain then we sang all of our regular and thematic songs. We then did a process oriented art project inspired by the seasons in the book by using different color fingerpaints (I kept it simple and focused on the cool colors-blue, purple, and green since it was Winter time and to match the signs we learned) on large sheets of fingerpainting paper I had taped to the floor. Babie
Amie
Oct 04, 2016 Amie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faith, toddler
A short, simple introduction to poetry.
Matt Guendel
Nov 23, 2011 Matt Guendel rated it it was ok
I also read this book to my nephew Cade, which happened to be his book. My brothers wife owned this book so I thought I would read it to him. This book is about different types of weather and such things. There is a page on rain, flower, sun, leaf, snow, and moon. This book was written as a Japanese Haiku poem. I liked this book, but again not because of the content, but because I enjoyed the experience with Cade. It is a really short book and only has 6 pages. I would not read or keep this book ...more
Kristin
Jan 13, 2010 Kristin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
This may have the word 'baby' in it, but it is still for toddlers. River is calmed by the rhythm of the poem and the amazing pictures. I have repeatedly borrowed this book as an inspiration of color for my crafts. I intend on keeping this book in River's collection all the way until he can read the words himself. A wise librarian once told me, toddler board books are useful until the child can read them on his/her own. No need to pass on or sell in an effort to help the child grow up quickly.
Kayla Spohr
Apr 29, 2014 Kayla Spohr rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
For ages 3 and up, this book takes you through the natural world. Using elements of seasons, like raindrops and leaves, this book leaves you feeling at peace. Written in haiku poem, it stays true to the meaning the natural world.
This is definitely a book for younger toddlers or babies, but is still a great book. I don't know if I would use it in the classroom, but I would use it in my house for my future kids I have.
Molly
This is not the greatest multicultural book, but it does introduce multicultural literature styles, haiku, and Japanese characters to a very young audience. This book is really for very young children. Haikus lend themselves to short attention spans and it is nice to see a child enjoying a multicultural form of literature. It is not truly authentic or immersive in Japanese culture, but for the sub-one year old set, it is a delightful introduction.
K
Jan 02, 2013 K rated it it was amazing
Beautiful little book. My 6 month old loves it. She touches the pictures as if they might move under her fingers. I love that it describes seasons and time of day in a very simple, poetic way. Babies should be exposed to poetry as much as song or story. When I read this book to her, I point out each corresponding image. I think she's most mesmerized by the moon page with the ocean and whale. I highly recommend it.
Stephanie
Jan 23, 2012 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-picture
I randomly bought this on Amazon because of the fantastic reviews it received - it is a beautiful little book that introduces nature to babies. Have fun looking for the little blue bird on each page as baby gets older!

Tabs make the pages very easy to turn...or chew on, for baby. ;)

I looked into some other books by the author, and they are all just as fantastic. Don't miss her books!
Meredith
Mar 19, 2009 Meredith rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
this book has been growing on me after reading it several times. the text isn't as lyrical as i would like it to be, especially given that nature is the subject of the haiku, but it is playful, as well as interactive with the pictures. the art for this book is delightfully asian inspired, paying homage to the origins of haiku, and offers rich colors and visual textures.
Aletheia Ubben
Sep 28, 2015 Aletheia Ubben rated it it was amazing
We loved this book. It's short but lovely. (Aletheia's review: "I kept giving this book back to Mom to read again. When I read it to myself, the page with the fox kept making me laugh. The last picture has a really cool moon.")
Katrina
May 07, 2009 Katrina rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: New Mothers or Those Shopping for a New Mother
Shelves: picture-books
This is an adorable board book! I love the format of the book with the tabs for each page's theme. The illustrations are gorgeous, vivid and mesmerizing. And the text is what good haiku should be: perfectly and deliberately chosen. A perfect gift (though not great for storytime).
Meg McGregor
Jul 12, 2013 Meg McGregor rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-lexi
I did like this book and I love haiku. I think it is the most amazing kind of poetry. But the haiku about the sun is not about the sun - it is bout the turtle. Beautifully illustrated!
Lily
Dec 23, 2014 Lily rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, poetry, 2014
Bought for my nephew for Christmas. A really sweet book that I hope my sister and brother-in-law won't mind reading over and over!
Craig
Oct 22, 2011 Craig rated it really liked it
Such a cute little collection. I enjoy the art and the haiku. Not sure why a hippo is on a mountaintop in the snow, but that's probably being a bit nit picky.
Joan Marie
Jan 25, 2016 Joan Marie rated it it was amazing
Well-chosen words to introduce seasons of the year to the youngest of readers. Adorable illustrations, too!
Stephanie
Sep 17, 2011 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Beautifully illustrated. Love the writing and the big tabs so baby can learn how to turn the pages. Only criticism is that we wish it was longer!
Elizabeth K.
Dec 21, 2011 Elizabeth K. rated it really liked it
Recommended to Elizabeth by: NYPL
Shelves: 2011-lucy
I think the illustrations are charming, and Lu (at 10 months) likes the tabs that help her turn the pages.
Shawn
Jan 07, 2009 Shawn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, childrens
Excellent haiku book for kids. I read it to my son before he goes to sleep and he loves it. And I appreciate the high quality haiku.
Stephanie Middleton
Aug 04, 2013 Stephanie Middleton rated it it was amazing
We love this delightful board book filled with nature inspired haiku poems paired with gorgeous illustrations. So perfect. Thanks for the gift aunt Betty Jean!
Terry
Jan 22, 2009 Terry rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile
Wonderful little children's book, although I thought the hippo on the mountain in the snow reached a little too far into the absurd for even very young listeners.
Erica Douglas
Dec 09, 2012 Erica Douglas rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Love the idea of introducing poetry to kids at the earliest ages, and this book is beautifully illustrated. Also, this book is perfect for babies just learning to turn pages (large tabs).
Brenna Call
Brenna Call rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2011
Amber
Amber rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2014
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2015
Serena
Serena rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2015
Cindy
Cindy rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2014
Jenbosque
Jenbosque rated it liked it
Dec 20, 2015
  • Peekaboo Morning
  • Who is the Beast?
  • Jazz Baby
  • I Kissed the Baby!
  • Over in the Jungle: A Rainforest Rhyme (Sharing Nature with Children Books)
  • Black on White
  • I'm the Best Artist in the Ocean!
  • ABC: a Child's First Alphabet Book
  • First Book of Sushi
  • Where Are You Going? To See My Friend!
  • Pantone: Colors