Start by marking “Death of an Effendi (Mamur Zapt, #12)” as Want to Read:
Death of an Effendi (Mamur Zapt, #12)

Death of an Effendi (Mamur Zapt #12)

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  6 reviews
The latest in Michael Pearce's charming, award-winning series set in Edwardian Egypt.
Cairo, 1909.The murder capital of the world, where deaths are two a piastre. But the death of an effendi? That is something different. Because effendis - the Egyptian A(c)lite - are important. Especially if - in a country ruled by foreigners - they happen to be foreign.
When Tvardovsky, a...more
Published May 1st 2004 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Death of an Effendi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death of an Effendi

The Alienist by Caleb CarrThe Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan DoyleThe Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. KingMistress of the Art of Death by Ariana FranklinLast Act in Palmyra by Lindsey Davis
Best historical-fiction mysteries
86th out of 179 books — 41 voters
Death on the Nile by Agatha ChristieCrocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth PetersThe Mummy Case by Elizabeth PetersEvil Under the Sun by Agatha ChristieMurder in Mesopotamia by Agatha Christie
Mysteries set in Egypt
16th out of 44 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Tbfrank
The simplicity of the style mixed with the believeable human elements and actual historical events and conditions made this a highly enjoyable read. Though perhaps Prince Fuad was more of a characture for the story-telling purpose than he should have been.
Elizabeth
Michael Pearce always teaches me something as he entertains me. In this era Egypt is being governed by England but there are many other countries including Russia who want a piece of this pie. Where ever there is money to be made there are always vultures circling the skies overlooking the squabbles over land, over water and over power. All these three things are in a precarious balance in the early 1910 to 1915 and when a Russian who lives in Cairo is killed in an apparent hunting accident whil...more
Scilla
In this early 1900's Egyptian mystery, the Russian is shot at at meeting of financiers in the Fayoum. Owen, the Mamur Zapf is investigating with Mahmoud the Parquet. The story doesn't really hang together very well, and is confusing. There are a lot of political issues, and the characters are not well developed.
Linda
It does pick up at the end, but I found the first 2/3 to be a slog. I want to like this series, because who doesn't want a virtual trip to turn of the century Cairo, but... I'm not sure the setting can redeem characters and plots that just don't grab me.
Patty
This was a fun, quick listen. I know very little about the British rule in Egypt and I still don't know much. But this mystery kept me interested as I drove down the road. That is all I need.
Bonnie
I was really entertained by this book. The characters are deftly portrayed as is the frustration of Egyptians who are ruled by foreigners. The reader did a very good job.
Jim Prince
Jim Prince marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Delia
Delia added it
Oct 09, 2014
Emily
Emily added it
Sep 10, 2014
Carol Mello
Carol Mello marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Jenn M
Jenn M marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Jessica Kerby
Jessica Kerby marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Brigid Brien
Brigid Brien marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2014
Nita
Nita marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Michael Pearce grew up in the (then) Anglo-Egyptian Sudan. He returned there later to teach, and retains a human rights interest in the area. He has recently retired from his academic post to write full time.
More about Michael Pearce...
The Mamur Zapt and the Return of the Carpet (Mamur Zapt, #1) A Dead Man in Trieste (Seymour of Special Branch, #1) A Dead Man in Istanbul (Seymour of Special Branch, #2) The Night of the Dog (Mamur Zapt, #2) The Mamur Zapt and the Donkey-vous (Mamur Zapt, #3)