Start by marking “Typhoon” as Want to Read:

3.74  ·  Rating Details ·  1,032 Ratings  ·  104 Reviews
"Skilled fiction...tight and complex." - The New York Times

"Compelling... Complex and satisfying." - Publisher's Weekly

---------

"Hong Kong 1997 - only a few short months of British rule remain before the territory returns to Chinese rule. It's a febrile place. And in that claustrophobic environment of uncertainty and fear the spooks are hard at work, jostling for positi
Published by Michael Joseph (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Typhoon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Typhoon

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John le CarréThe Bourne Identity by Robert LudlumThe Spy Who Came In from the Cold by John le CarréThe Hunt for Red October by Tom ClancyThe Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth
Best Spy Novels
282nd out of 863 books — 1,585 voters
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa SeeThe Good Earth by Pearl S. BuckThe Joy Luck Club by Amy TanShanghai Girls by Lisa SeeThe Kitchen God's Wife by Amy Tan
Best Novels That Take Place in China
179th out of 320 books — 849 voters

More lists with this book...

Don Booty
Jun 07, 2012 Don Booty rated it really liked it
I recently finished Typhoon. I discovered Charles Cumming when I picked up his novel A Spy by Nature at my local library last year. I had not heard of him, and when I began reading that novel, I experienced that unique reader's thrill that comes with coming across a writer with extraordinary talent in storytelling, whose style is exceptionally lucid and engaging, and to my mind, whose insights into the human condition are astonishingly insightful for one new to the genre. Typhoon turned out to b ...more
Jeffrey
Dec 09, 2009 Jeffrey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: spy fans
The novel starts in the future with Joe Lennox a british spy asking one of his agents, the narrator, to write a story about the Typhoon operation.

The novel then drops back to the past in Hong Kong, where it all began. Joe Lennox is a NOC, an undercover agent for MI6, one of the British equivalent's for the CIA. He is undercover in Hong KOng right before the turnover of that country from Great Britain to the Chinese. Isabella, a beautiful reporter is his lover, but is unaware of his real career.
DGT
Mar 03, 2015 DGT rated it it was ok
As "Typhoon" nears its conclusion, a supersize poster of David Beckham gazes down on the scene of Shanghai's media-fuelled capitalism, "with Chinese characteristics". Charles Cumming is sometimes billed as John Le Carre's successor, though any posters in the latter’s Cold War thrillers no doubt toe the party line and are torn by the wind funnelled down streets next to the Berlin Wall. The dominant colour of the cityscapes in Le Carre is grey, whereas Hong Kong, Shanghai and even Beijing are full ...more
Elyse
Jan 27, 2010 Elyse rated it liked it
Shelves: espionage, 2010
It took me about two-thirds of the book to really be intrigued by the story. Partly, that's because I'd recently read another novel (Palace Council) that's fairly heavy with historical detail. Partly, that's because Cumming's narrative style is just different from other espionage authors.

What I found somewhat tedious in the telling was the fact that so much of this novel is just matter-of-fact dialogue between the main characters. Very little actual activity or action until near the end. No doub
Jeremy
Jun 18, 2011 Jeremy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story starts as the British are handing over Hong Kong to the Chinese. A strange Chinese (Wang) swims to Hong Kong and manages to bluff his way to interogation rather than repatriation. While the British agent is interogating him the Americans manage to spirit him away. And so starts the life of the strange Typhoon conspiracy. Told as a narrative of a novelist it follows the life of Joe Lennox into Hong Kong and back to the UK and then into China itself as a SIS operative always working und ...more
Ian Simpson
Jan 09, 2016 Ian Simpson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cumming writes well, tells a good story and gives the impression of having 'been there'. He takes his readers to the Far East in a convincing manner and gets inside his characters' heads. A fine piece of fiction that could have a lot of fact camouflaged inside it.
Nancie
Feb 09, 2014 Nancie rated it it was amazing
In my opinion, Charles Cumming is the natural successor to John le Carre. And as wonderful as le Carre's books are, if you are either too young to remember, or lack awareness of, WWII or the Cold War, reading him has a rather untethering sensation.
Cumming's works take place in the latter part of the 20th and early 21st centuries and so if you have been paying attention at all the backdrops are familiar.
Exactly the case of Typhoon, which begins with the transfer of Hong Kong to China in 1997 and
Christopher Culp
Aug 09, 2014 Christopher Culp rated it really liked it
A great read. But I am biased. The book is set primarily in Hong Kong and Shanghai, and, so, knowing both of those cities well, I am biased. Especially in Hong Kong, I remembered many of the locations in the book from when I lived there, and Cumming captured the atmosphere in both cities very nicely. Even apart from by bias, the characters are interesting and you care about them, and the plot is intricate, unpredictable, and frighteningly plausible. One need not know HK or Shanghai to enjoy this ...more
Tony Mac
Jan 14, 2015 Tony Mac rated it really liked it
This remains Cumming's most ambitious book, longer and more complex than most of his novels, trying to be something of a human saga as well as a spy thriller. Its very much a book of two halves, the first one set in 1997 in the twilight of British sovereignty over Hong Kong and the second half mostly set in Shangai eight years later, involving the repercussions of what happened earlier.

Part one is very much an establishing act, even though it takes up half the book. It is always readable though
Ian Brydon
Jun 04, 2014 Ian Brydon rated it really liked it
Joe Lennox seems to be the perfect spy. Having graduated from Oxford with a first class degree in Mandarin in the mid 1990s he is, almost as a matter of course, recruited into MI6. Equally predictably, he finds himself posted to Hong Kong in the run up to the handover of the colony back to Chinese rule in 1997. All in all, his career seems to be developing entirely as he and MI6 might have planned.

Shortly before the handover an aging Chinese man swims across the straits to land in Hong Kong. He
Inspire me
Dec 19, 2009 Inspire me rated it really liked it
a book with as many intriguing issues as you want to read: Spy,China, HK handover, Xijiang indenpendance movement instigated by CIA, intermingled with Pakistan intelligence. Life in modern shanghai,old bund, nightspot, French concession.... there's also a triangle love story, a young and flawed character. moral questions are raised and conflicts between MI6/CIA showed.
Of the two parties of the book, I like the first one the most, it's more intensive and character building more real.
Robin
Apr 20, 2014 Robin rated it really liked it
I came across this book when browsing for something to read on a holiday. I am a big Le Carre fan but not come across Charles Cumming before. The setting for the opening also got my attention as, just like the main character, I moved to Hong Kong a few years before the handover. Overall, I really enjoyed the book and do not agree with some of the other reviewers who criticize the way characters are developed. I thought that was very good. My only (mild) complaint is that with books of this type, ...more
Peter
Jun 07, 2009 Peter rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
Charles Cumming is touted as the 'new' Lecarre, an odd description since we still have Lecarre but publicists are publicists. This novel is set in China, largely post 9-11 and leading up to the 2008 Olympic Games and captures some of the essence of 'global' attitudes. A fast paced account of a too good to be true British agent and an oh so believable American one. As far as spy stories go, this one works.
Zhiqing
Feb 21, 2010 Zhiqing rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent spy novel with my hometown Shanghai as the backdrop. I just love Charles Cumming's writing, cool and elegant, and like Le Carre's books, no unrealistic happy endings. It also gave people a better understanding of the Uighur situation in China, a complicated subject matter that didn't grab much attention in the media. Overall a very well researched and enjoyable read.
Jeanne
Jul 22, 2013 Jeanne rated it really liked it
So nice to return to a reliable author after experiencing two disappointing new books by other writers that received favorable reviews but were not to my liking. Of special interest to me, having visited Hong Kong, was the account of the reversion to China. Cumming consistently tells a good story and I always come away with a history lesson.
Olskens
Sloan
Dec 02, 2009 Sloan rated it it was amazing
Fully engaging spy thriller pairing a British spy and a journalist in a timely story about China's treatment of the Uighur population in western China. The book has a pager-turner cinematic quality that kept me flying through the book nonstop.
James
Apr 03, 2016 James rated it did not like it
Shelves: thriller, fiction
British and American spies work through their personal issues while trying to stir mischief in China. I found it all deeply dull. Worthy, clever but oh so dull.
Hakan Kin
Apr 20, 2016 Hakan Kin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"From time to time, during the long, complex process of researching and writing the book (...)" This acknowledgment by the author at the end of the book is quite proper. The story, which develops between the triangle of China, Muslims and Westerners, sets itself in motion rather than judging this fruitless subject. Also, gives to reader a chance of making his own judgements.
For the most part of the book, relating myself to the main character (Joe), I was rather late to understand that he was to
Mark Davis
Entertaining read, once you get by the typically one-dimensional European view of Americans.
Chris Stanley
Oct 04, 2014 Chris Stanley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio, spy, one-click
Clever plot lots of twists good pace. Not my usual genre but I really enjoyed it.
Dj
Dec 19, 2009 Dj rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, top-ten-2009
i love espionage and this is one of the very best i've ever read.
Sue
Nov 03, 2014 Sue rated it really liked it
A really good spy novel - well written & intelligent.
Gary Schofield
Aug 29, 2016 Gary Schofield rated it did not like it
I have had reject this novel half way through as it is awful. I have just spent two hours reading a male authors attempt at 'chick lit'. Cummings obviously has more experience of vulgar sexual relationships than he does of espionage; there is practically nothing intriguing in the story line whatsoever it reads like a bunch of bare bone facts that have been simply dramatised with the least to! Am I interested to know who Isabella is screwing or what outfit she has chosen to wear today? not in the ...more
Michael
Dec 18, 2009 Michael rated it liked it
I had never read Cumming before but had heard reference to him as the new John Lecarre' and since Lecarre' is one of my favorites I picked this up to read. I wasn't disappointed. Cumming's style is similar to Lecarre' in his intelligent story telling with an insider's view to how CIA and MI-6 operate. This book reminded me a little of LeCarre's "The Honorable Schoolboy" which was also about MI-6 agents in Hong Kong.
The story begins in Hong Kong in the mid-90's just before it's turnover to the PR
Matt Crumpton
May 30, 2012 Matt Crumpton rated it liked it
Shelves: spy-thriller
I wish I could give this book 3 1/2 stars because I liked it, but I didn't love it. The story is very well written, and it was a real page turner. Charles Cumming has been compared to John LeCarre which I feel is unfair. Charles Cumming is a much better writer than LeCarre ever will be. I thought it was a nice character study of spies in China, and I thought the characters themselves were well developed. The story was good. This a very different spy novel compared to others I have read. It had l ...more
Jim
May 17, 2015 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This is the weakest of the Charles Cumming books I've read. The plot is a bit all over the place and while the idea to build a worldwide terror conspiracy on the sufferings of the Uighur people of western China is intriguing, Cumming's terrorists seem to have ambivalent relationship with the CIA that blows up for reasons that are simplistic at best. Read Cumming's newer works. They're much better.
Florence Primrose
Jun 02, 2014 Florence Primrose rated it really liked it
In 1997 in Hong Kong Joe Lennox, a young British Foreign Service officer, interviews a Chinese but suddenly Joe is out. We jump forward to 2004 when there are uprisings in western China.

Who is responsible for these? On one hand the insurgents are unhappy, but who is funding them? What part does the U.S. government play?
Spirohir
Jun 25, 2014 Spirohir rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It was a page-turner with a sometimes outrageous plot but you could smell and feel the cities of Hong Kong just before the Handover and Shanghai rising through the pages. Admittedly there is some rhetoric that feels a little trite but once you get past that, an excellent book to lose yourself in for a few days.
Jill
May 17, 2014 Jill rated it liked it
Typhoon is a fast-paced spy thriller set in Hong Kong at the time of its handover from Britain to China and in Shanghai during the lead up to Beijing Olympics. There is interesting background on minority groups in China and the conflict between British intelligence and the CIA, but the conspiracy theories are a bit far fetched.
  • The Arms Maker of Berlin
  • Old Boys (Paul Christopher #9)
  • Victory Square (The Yalta Boulevard Sequence #5)
  • Bloodmoney: A Novel of Espionage
  • Charity (Bernard Samson, #9)
  • The World at Night (Night Soldiers, #4)
  • Brandenburg Gate
  • Amateur Barbarians
  • Death Sentence
  • Evolution and Human Behavior
  • Dead Spy Running (Legoland Trilogy, #1)
  • The Venetian Judgment (Agent Micah Dalton, #3)
  • Computational Complexity: A Modern Approach
  • Doña Nicanora's Hat Shop
Charles Cumming is British writer of spy fiction. His international bestselling thrillers including A Spy By Nature, The Spanish Game, Typhoon and The Trinity Six. A former British Secret Service recruit, he is a contributing editor of The Week magazine and lives in London.

More about Charles Cumming...

“I am not anti-American,' he said. 'I just despise the current American administration. I despair that Bush has made ordinary, decent people all over the world think twice about what was once, and still could be again, a great country, when what happened on September 11th should have made ordinary, decent people all over the world embrace America as never before. I don't like it that neo-conservative politicians bully their so-called allies while playing to the worst, racist instincts of their own bewildered electorate. I don't like it that we live in an era where to be anti-war is to be anti-American, to be pro-Palestine is to be anti-Semitic, to be critical of Blair is somehow to be supportive of Putin and Chirac. All anybody is asking for in this so-called age of terror is some leadership. Yet everywhere you look in public life there is no truth, no courage, no dignity to speak of.” 21 likes