Start by marking “Introduction to Computing Systems: From Bits & Gates to C & Introduction to Computing Systems: From Bits & Gates to C & Beyond Beyond” as Want to Read:

"Introduction to Computing Systems: From bits & gates to C & beyond," now in its second edition, is designed to give students a better understanding of computing early in their college careers in order to give them a stronger foundation for later courses. The book is in two parts: (a) the underlying structure of a computer, and (b) programming in a high level langu ...more
Published August 5th 2003 by McGraw-Hill Science/Engineering/Math (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Introduction to Computing Systems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introduction to Computing Systems

Lori
Dec 08, 2013 Lori rated it really liked it
Shelves: technical
Ever wanted to know how your computer really works? This textbook is really easy to read and does a thorough job of moving from transistors to gates to memory to assembly to the C programming language! The exercise questions are very challenging and will really make you think about how CPUs implement certain commands. This is a very enlightening book and it's probably the few textbooks I've read that I enjoyed reading.
Wayland He
Feb 14, 2012 Wayland He rated it it was amazing
I took the class but only touched on the bare basics 2 years ago. I then reread this book again because I felt like I didn't have a strong understanding of computer systems. I was able to understand everything and it helped me immensely in the upper division classes I'm taking this year. I recommend this book to anyone who is self-teaching themselves because it also comes with solutions to the problems online.
Victoria
Dec 04, 2011 Victoria rated it did not like it
This book is not helpful. The first chapter was great, but it went downhill after that. I find it hard to read because it is full of technical language. The LC-3 programs it shows aren't great examples either. There must be something better than this.
Dwight Walker
Low level analysis of computer architecture.
Timo Timo
Dec 03, 2015 Timo Timo rated it it was amazing
I don't know if it's due to the nature of the subject, but in any case, this book was surprisingly well-structured. What used to be magic to me has now been reduced to bits and pieces that I can actually understand. The LC-3 is fantastic toy and explanatory device; I'm glad they included it. It's is the most enjoyable textbook I've consumed.

Philosophers should read this as a less controversial lesson in reductionism than neuroscience.
Jeff
Jeff is currently reading it
Sep 08, 2016
CobraWayne
CobraWayne marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
Naeji Jitt
Naeji Jitt marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
Karen Chu
Karen Chu rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2016
Ryan
Ryan rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2016
Debayan De
Debayan De marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Sham Menghis
Sham Menghis rated it did not like it
Jul 03, 2016
Aramatos
Aramatos rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2016
Akshay
Akshay marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
May
May is currently reading it
May 17, 2016
Thiago
Thiago is currently reading it
Mar 24, 2016
Mahmoud Magdi
Mahmoud Magdi marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Mancliff Ynwa
Mancliff Ynwa marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016
Nawfal
Nawfal added it
Feb 20, 2016
Nathan
Nathan is currently reading it
Feb 13, 2016
sai rohit Battula
sai rohit Battula rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2016
Nandit
Nandit added it
Feb 08, 2016
Yinghao Wang
Yinghao Wang is currently reading it
Feb 06, 2016
Topher Fischer
Topher Fischer marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
_Nazanin_
_Nazanin_ rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2016
David Lam
David Lam is currently reading it
Dec 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »