Our First Revolution: The Remarkable British Upheaval That Inspired America's Founding Fathers

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  27 reviews
In this exciting work of popular history, Michael Barone brings the story of the Glorious Revolution–an unlikely late-seventeenth-century British uprising–to American readers and reveals that, without it, the American Revolution may never have happened. With a strong narrative drive and unforgettable portraits of kings, queens, and soldiers, Barone takes an episode that ha...more
Published June 24th 2008 by Three Rivers Press (first published January 1st 2007)

Chris
I have read a lot of books on English monarchy and this is a first that really showed how intricately moving within the monarchy and British public the movements that brought the importance of William and Mary and James II and Charles II to the future of the United States and around the world. This was during the time period of 1680- 1689. Barone makes his characters interesting, his subject matter understandable, and I got so hooked I want to go back and read the rest of his books.....
Pflentov
A 243-page book that would have worked better if it had been under 200 pages long; Barone is very repetitive and makes the same point several times over, often using the same words.

Disappointed that the book did not make a better attempt at linking the Glorious Revolution of 1688-89 with the American Revolution nearly a century later. The premise that the political changes that preceded and followed William III's rise to power in England were a direct precedent to the American Revolution nearly...more
Frank Roberts
Barone turns his eye for political machinations on the events of 1688-89, the "Glorious Revolution." He convincingly explores how those fortuitous events have reverberations down to the present day and were key to the development of British and American politics.

This was a historical event for which I had only the barest outline of knowledge, and I enjoyed very much learning the details. Barone skillfully explores the character of William of Orange, the main character of this epoch, as well as...more
Thomas
Dec 19, 2008 Thomas rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Citrus lovers
Shelves: history, audiobook
A lot of the stuff covered by this book sounds familiar: William and Mary, the Sun King, tangerines, the Test Acts. I had the vague understanding that William had led the last successful invasion of England. However, I did not know most of the details laid out in this engaging book. For instance, why is the Orange Order so named and how long have they been around? The answer to this question is inconspicuously laid down throughout the entire narrative, so that by the time I reached the Battle of...more
Eric
I had a hard time getting into this book - at least once every few pages the author would say something that seemed to contradict something he had said in a previous paragraph. I'm too anal to let that sort of thing go, so I'd spend 20 minutes going word by word through the seeming contradictions until I could make sense of them. I've only gotten to page 15, but I'm exhausted and can't work up any enthusiasm to pick this book up anymore. On to lighter reading for now...
Randy
Feb 14, 2010 Randy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Randy by: Powerline Blog (political)
History at its best. When I first read the title to this book I couldn't help but thinking, "huh." Once I started the book though I was able to connect the dots and I learned a ton of history. Anytime reading about European roalty it can be enormously confusing, but Barone walks us through the roalty labyrinth with clarity. I also like reading Barone's weekly article and blog writing. Keen insight into to todays political environment.
Grumpus
This is based upon the audio download from [www.audible.com].

Narrated by: Stephen Hoye

Ugh...what can I say? Maybe its because I have no frame of reference on European history but I could not get into this one. I never understood where the revolution was. It will be interesting to see reviews from others who know European history to see if it was just me.
Charles Pearce
Terribly boring recounting of the British "Glorious Revolution" which inspired in part the American Revolution. I could not get past a few pages of this tediously detailed work.
Daryl
May 26, 2010 Daryl rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
A boring professorial book with little or no new information
Ray
Did not finish. See Pflentov's 12/16/09 review.
***Dave Hill
(Original review: http://hill-kleerup.org/blog/2008/06/...)

Overall: Good
Writing: Fair
Info: Good
Re-Readability: Fair
Audio: Good

The book’s subtitle is, “The Remarkable British Upheaval that Inspired America’s Founding Fathers.” Barone takes on a subject well-known to most Brits, but nearly unknown to Americans — the “Glorious Revolution” of 1688-89, where the autocratic “divine right” James II was ousted by British lords and a Dutch invasion by William of Orange (whose wife, Mary, was next in line...more
KJ
This book offers an excellent chronological account of the events that occurred to bring about the Glorious Revolution of 1688 in England. A little misleading in the title, if you are looking for a book about the events of 1688, this is an excellent book! Not too dry, but too engaging, the writing is very middle-of-the-road when it comes to a history book for popular consumption.

Barone does an excellent job of describing most of the events, but do be careful, keep track of the players (there is...more
BirdBrian
I suppose you could just read about The Glorious Revolution on a cake, but this book is easier to travel with, and slightly more detailed.

This book covers "The Glorious Revolution", which sounds like something out of Communist China, but actually happened in England in 1688.

Background information: (view spoiler)...more
Lauren Albert
An interesting look at the Glorious Revolution. My one criticism is that Barone, while trying to show William's importance both to the event and subsequent British history, leaves out Mary almost entirely. I know she deferred to him but her very existence was necessary to the events.

I particularly liked Barone's examination of the financial system and how it was changed for the better because of the Revolution.
John Maniscalco
I don't know why Michael Barone wrote this book. Scratch that. I mean to say, I don't know how Michael Barone can claim credit for writing this book. Every page, literally every page, cites another historian's take on this historic issue. This is a very interesting event and Barone (read several other historians that are cited in this book) makes a strong case that the English Civil War led directly to the cause and ideology of the American Revolution. The only problem is this book is incredibly...more
Neill
A thoroughly sourced non-fiction work, Revolution begins dryly with an overly informative and extensive style that includes nearly everyone to live in the second half of the 17th century. However, Barone's portrayal of William of Orange makes for a good protagonist that you really pull for and respect throughout the book. The endless explanations of the elections and makeup of every parliament get a little tiring, but are necessary to understand why the main characters took the risks that they d...more
Russamun82
A fascinating look at an early precursor to the myriad revolutions which would follow this one throughout the centuries proceeding.
AmblingBooks
The story of the Glorious Revolution is a rich and riveting saga of palace intrigue, loyalty and shocking betrayal, and bold political and military strategizing. With narrative drive, a sure command of historical events, and unforgettable portraits of kings, queens, soldiers, parliamentarians, and a large cast of full-blooded characters, Michael Barone takes an episode that has fallen into unjustified obscurity and restores it to the prominence it deserves.

Listen to Our First Revolution on your...more
Dean
This is an excellent history of the Glorious Revolution and its effect on our own American Revolution in general and the American Bill of rights specifically. I saw Michael Barone’s book tour on the Daily Show. I was unsure if it would live up to the sales pitch, but it did. If you want to know where our Founding Fathers came up with some of the ideals that became the foundation of our liberty, check out this book.
Tracy
Great idea, not entirely followed through. Nice explication of the Glorious Revolution; it's that "inspire America's Founding Fathers" that it doesn't carry through on. There are mentions of it, here and there, but I kept waiting for the in-depth "and here's where they got X, Y, and Z" and it never happened. Too bad, as the pieces given are interesting, and as an idea, I found it fascinating.
Michael
Excellent book in many ways and some parts were awesome (part about coffee shops being birth place of democracy), but it advertised itself as being how the Glorious Revolution inspired the American Revolution and it never showed a relationship between the two. I think the publisher decided saying the book related to the American Revolution would help sell the book but that's dishonest.
Sandra Strange
Great book for history buffs: this book tells in detail the "remarkable British upheaval that inspired America's founding fathers," the Glorious Revolution of 1688 that replaced the Catholic James II with his daughter and amazing son in law. The book does a good job of portraying the major players and their concerns. Fascinating history well researched and interestingly told
David R.
An excellent narrative history of the Glorious Revolution of 1688-89. Barone provides lucid characterizations of the players and issues, and clearly relates how the Revolution's outcome shaped the American Revolution and modern Britain. And this is not a text for the hardcore Jacobite: no tears are shed for the foolish James II and his hapless heirs.
Mhd
Interesting, but I had to make my own timelines in an attempt to follow this history. My lack of familiarity with the Royals and their sequence was also a problem. Perhaps I need to start my study with something simpler, perhaps written for a school child?! But, this is definitely a topic with which all Americans should be more familiar.
Bill
Excellent background on why America's founding fathers set up the government the way they did. Reminds us that just because we have a democracy now, it doesn't mean that we always will.
Lynne Flake
This is an excellent description of the Glorious Revolution, brought about by the ascension of William of Orange and Mary to the throne of England.
Scott
Apple never falls far from the tree
Stephanie Miller
Stephanie Miller marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
  • Union 1812: The Americans Who Fought the Second War of Independence
  • Prairie Fever: British Aristocrats in the American West 1830-1890
  • The Training Ground: Grant, Lee, Sherman, and Davis in the Mexican War, 1846-1848
  • The Greatest Battle: Stalin, Hitler, and the Desperate Struggle for Moscow That Changed the Course of World War II
  • Jefferson's War: America's First War on Terror 1801-1805
  • Heretic Queen: Queen Elizabeth I and the Wars of Religion
  • The Honourable Company: a History of the English East India Company
  • 1775: A Good Year for Revolution
  • Crash Course: The American Automobile Industry's Road from Glory to Disaster
  • Enlightenment: Britain and the Creation of the Modern World (Allen Lane History)
  • God's Fury, England's Fire: A New History of the English Civil Wars
  • America: The Last Best Hope, Volume 1: From the Age of Discovery to a World at War
  • New Worlds, Lost Worlds: The Rule of the Tudors, 1485-1603
  • Suburban Warriors: The Origins of the New American Right
  • Going Dutch: How England Plundered Holland's Glory
  • The Bitter Road to Freedom: A New History of the Liberation of Europe
  • The Day Freedom Died: The Colfax Massacre, the Supreme Court and the Betrayal of Reconstruction
  • Churchill's Empire: The World That Made Him and the World He Made
Michael Barone, a political analyst and journalist, studies politics, American government, and campaigns and elections. The principal coauthor of the annual Almanac of American Politics (National Journal Group), he has written many books on American politics and history. Barone is also a senior political analyst for the Washington Examiner. Barone has also written for many major market publication...more
More about Michael Barone...
Hard America, Soft America: Competition vs. Coddling and the Battle for the Nation's Future Our Country: The Shaping of America from Roosevelt to Reagan The Almanac of American Politics 2012 The Almanac of American Politics 2008 (Almanac of American Politics) The Almanac of American Politics 2006 (Almanac of American Politics)