Start by marking “Upgrade Me: Our Amazing Journey to Human 2.0” as Want to Read:
Upgrade Me: Our Amazing Journey to Human 2.0

Upgrade Me: Our Amazing Journey to Human 2.0

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Biologically, human beings haven’t changed in 100,000 years – but thanks to our amazing brains we can upgrade ourselves to add capabilities that took other creatures millions of years to evolve. Thanks to this “unnatural” evolution we are already Human 2.0. In the effort to stay alive, reproduce and make more of brains, we have transformed ourselves. Now with a better unde ...more
Published July 22nd 2008 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Upgrade Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Upgrade Me

David Fuller
For those worried about the future of mankind, U.K. author Brian Clegg has a simple message: We're already living it.

Clegg explores our species' evolution -- biological and otherwise -- in this intriguing new work of popular science.

Clegg specialized in experimental physics at Cambridge University, where he did his MA, and gained a second MA at Lancaster University in operational research. He's also the author of popular books on math and sciences such as A Brief History of Infinity, Light Years
Ian C
I picked this up thinking it would be along the lines of an extended Wired article or an old-school Boing-Boing magazine piece. Something that just detailed current "legitimate" and underground research and products, etc. Instead I discovered a more "scholarly" work that early on informs the reader that he/she is already "Human 2.0", then goes on to detail just how We got to this point. Engaging and well written.

One issue I had with the author was that he viewed non-scientific things that stretc
Dave Swavely
Read this as research for my upcoming novel Kaleidocide, which is the sequel to Silhouette: A Peacer Novel. I liked it, except for the author's apparently uncritical acceptance of naturalistic evolution...we weren't there, so none of us should be that dogmatic about the details of our origins.:)
David R.
There's not a whole lot here that really looks at where humans are going, evolutionally-speaking. Most of Clegg's ruminations concern developments that have already taken place in language, digital technology, medicine, etc. And what's left is rather unconvincing.
Ramona
This is an excellent fact-finding-flip-through-randomly-enjoy book. No need to read it from front to back to find out interesting tid-bits about technology and evolution.
Kelly
Didn't grip me or do anything for me. No stars not because it's not good, but because I don't have grounds to rate it.
Rob
Believe it or not, I found this book in the dollar store. Best find in a while.
BakuDreamer
90% of this is just a lot of technology related trivia ( interesting, but ... )
Paige
tbd when I get to my laptop. I have summat to say.
Юра Палиенко
Юра Палиенко marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Bernice Hicks
Bernice Hicks marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Rachel Corey
Rachel Corey marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Michael Blaser
Michael Blaser marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Otrillian
Otrillian marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
Saumiss
Saumiss marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2013
Natt Cham
Natt Cham marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2013
Sara Kilany
Sara Kilany marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2013
Hamdy
Hamdy marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2013
Kriece Kriece
Kriece Kriece marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Brian Clegg has a degree in natural sciences from Cambridge and a masters in Operational Research. He spent seventeen years with British Airways, where he formed a new department tasked with developing hi-tech solutions for the airline, and now speaks throughout the world on business and science-related topics.

He is the author of several popular science titles, including Inflight Science, The God
More about Brian Clegg...
A Brief History of Infinity: The Quest to Think the Unthinkable Inflight Science: A Guide to the World From Your Airplane Window Before the Big Bang: The Prehistory of Our Universe The God Effect: Quantum Entanglement, Science's Strangest Phenomenon The Universe Inside You: The Extreme Science of the Human Body From Quantum Theory to the Mysteries of the Brain