Start by marking “Upgrade Me: Our Amazing Journey to Human 2.0” as Want to Read:
Upgrade Me: Our Amazing Journey to Human 2.0

Upgrade Me: Our Amazing Journey to Human 2.0

Biologically, human beings haven’t changed in 100,000 years – but thanks to our amazing brains we can upgrade ourselves to add capabilities that took other creatures millions of years to evolve. Thanks to this “unnatural” evolution we are already Human 2.0. In the effort to stay alive, reproduce and make more of brains, we have transformed ourselves. Now with a better unde ...more
Published July 22nd 2008 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Upgrade Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Upgrade Me

David Fuller
Aug 10, 2012 David Fuller rated it really liked it
For those worried about the future of mankind, U.K. author Brian Clegg has a simple message: We're already living it.

Clegg explores our species' evolution -- biological and otherwise -- in this intriguing new work of popular science.

Clegg specialized in experimental physics at Cambridge University, where he did his MA, and gained a second MA at Lancaster University in operational research. He's also the author of popular books on math and sciences such as A Brief History of Infinity, Light Years
Ian C
Nov 19, 2010 Ian C rated it really liked it
I picked this up thinking it would be along the lines of an extended Wired article or an old-school Boing-Boing magazine piece. Something that just detailed current "legitimate" and underground research and products, etc. Instead I discovered a more "scholarly" work that early on informs the reader that he/she is already "Human 2.0", then goes on to detail just how We got to this point. Engaging and well written.

One issue I had with the author was that he viewed non-scientific things that stretc
Dave Swavely
Oct 20, 2012 Dave Swavely rated it liked it
Read this as research for my upcoming novel Kaleidocide, which is the sequel to Silhouette: A Peacer Novel. I liked it, except for the author's apparently uncritical acceptance of naturalistic evolution...we weren't there, so none of us should be that dogmatic about the details of our origins.:)
David R.
Nov 21, 2013 David R. rated it it was ok
Shelves: science
There's not a whole lot here that really looks at where humans are going, evolutionally-speaking. Most of Clegg's ruminations concern developments that have already taken place in language, digital technology, medicine, etc. And what's left is rather unconvincing.
Kelly
Didn't grip me or do anything for me. No stars not because it's not good, but because I don't have grounds to rate it.
Brendan  McAuliffe
Mar 07, 2011 Brendan McAuliffe rated it it was ok
90% of this is just a lot of technology related trivia ( interesting, but ... )
Ramona
Dec 16, 2008 Ramona rated it really liked it
Shelves: sep-dec-2008
This is an excellent fact-finding-flip-through-randomly-enjoy book. No need to read it from front to back to find out interesting tid-bits about technology and evolution.
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2009
Paige
May 23, 2010 Paige rated it liked it
tbd when I get to my laptop. I have summat to say.
Rick
Rick rated it did not like it
Mar 11, 2009
Stella
Stella rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2012
Roza
Roza rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2012
Ewan Selmes
Ewan Selmes rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2011
Rob
Feb 06, 2013 Rob rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Believe it or not, I found this book in the dollar store. Best find in a while.
Derek Woodgate
Derek Woodgate rated it liked it
May 28, 2015
John Moore
John Moore rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2011
Priscilla
Priscilla rated it liked it
Oct 25, 2016
x_silversurfer
x_silversurfer rated it it was ok
Feb 10, 2016
Bradley
Bradley rated it it was ok
Feb 01, 2010
Tanane
Tanane rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2012
Sahara
Sahara rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2012
REB
REB rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2017
Frozendelightsexcite.com
Frozendelightsexcite.com rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2012
Gwen
Gwen rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2012
John Quirk
John Quirk rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2013
Intellectual Badass
Intellectual Badass rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2010
Jim
Jim rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2016
David De
David De rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2013
Hymn Shelf
Hymn Shelf rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2012
Cmb
Cmb rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2012
Brian's latest books, Ten Billion Tomorrows and How Many Moons does the Earth Have are now available to pre-order. He has written a range of other science titles, including the bestselling Inflight Science, The God Effect, Before the Big Bang, A Brief History of Infinity, Build Your Own Time Machine and Dice World.

Along with appearances at the Royal Institution in London he has spoken at venues fr
More about Brian Clegg...