Blank-133x176
Joseph Knight

James W. Robertson

Joseph Knight

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  14 reviews
There have been an increasing number of newspaper stories, TV programmes and first-hand reports of encounters with angels. But how do you know if angels are trying to connect with you? Angela McGerr believes that angels are everywhere around us, ready to give us there unconditional love and support. In this light-hearted but informative guide she shows how to find your gua...more
Published March 8th 2004 by Fourth Estate (GB) (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Joseph Knight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Joseph Knight

Veronica
Apr 26, 2011 Veronica rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Veronica by: Heather Burns
Shelves: fiction
I was disappointed with this; I found much of it dry and rather academic. It's about real events and people, and it read more like a history book than a novel, especially the court scenes and the tiresome conversations with Samuel Johnson et al. Robertson was so keen to convey period atmosphere that he had pages and pages of description which fell smartly into the trap referred to by David Mitchell:
To get it right, you need to research and research and research. And then you need to hide all you
Jim
It’s hard to believe that a man can sit down one day with an idea that has developed in his mind and then starts to meticulously plan and construct a story like this, with all its intricacies, eventually producing such a marvellous novel as ‘Joseph Knight’. I’m quite in awe of this author and his work here. It’s not just a story but an examination of history, freedom, morals and principles.

The book is about the search for Joseph Knight, an African who was the subject of an pivotal court case in...more
MJ Nicholls
Entertaining if overlong telling of the story of Joseph Knight. This was a pivotal moment in black history: a slave is given his freedom but must live with the hypocrises and spectres of his past.

Exemplary Scots dialect, canny plotting and humorous digressions abound. Historical novels aren't my teacup, but I was pleasantly involved despite myself. (Though 100 pages could be sliced, easily).
Padavi
I felt there were several novels fighting for prominence within the covers. The Boswell/ Hume aspects were interesting from a historical perspective but got in the way of the narrative. I would like to read a novel about Knight's 'missing' years though.
Anna Engel
Robertson tried, he really did. He makes an admirable stab at writing about two very complex periods in history: the late 18th century and the early 19th century. The first time period covered the Scottish uprising, culminating in the massacre at Culloden, the racial unrest in the colonies, the debate over slavery, and the place of the monarchy in the political realm. The second time period saw the rise of independent democracies, the use of legal channels to achieve freedom from slavery, the bu...more
Jane
This is an extremely skillful novel based on historical events--carefully structured, atmospheric, and with thoughtfully developed characters. The detail in the court scenes is perhaps more than we need, but it's a fascinating look at Scotland's history and connection to slavery in the new world.
☯Bettie☯
Alanna Burns
I would recommend this book to anyone and have given it to lots of people as a present. I love the fact that it's a true story and lifts the lid in Scotland's relationship with Caribbean slavery. slavery has literally been "painted out" of the wealth of our national merchants. it connects with so many fascinating turns in history - including the jacobites and the Scottish enlightenment. excellent, educational, and heart breaking.
Patricia
I have just returned from Scotland and read this book by a local author. I learned a lot about Scotland and the slave trade in Jamaica. I also was able to glean some history from the storyline. A very good novel if you are interested in Scotland, the legal system and the slave trade.
Susannah Vanstone
I'd say five stars but I don't think I could bring myself to read this book again. Some bits are so ghastly, I'd rather forget them. But it's an unnerving study of people brutalised by their own experiences and becoming unfeeling monsters.
Oonagh
An excellent historical novel based on a real-life court case in Scotland in the 1760's, when a Scottish plantation owner brings a slave back to Scotland from Jamaica, and the slave sues for freedom.
Mara Eastern
A carefully researched historical novel. The amount of details and facts hinders the narrative pace and spoils some of the enjoyment of the story.
Yvonne
Jan 05, 2011 Yvonne is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting handling of topic of slavery. Scottish dialect adds flavour, yet is easy to read.
Mo
A great easy to read book. A heart rendering tale. Great ending.
Alistair Vannet
Alistair Vannet marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Ele Dick
Ele Dick marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Flora
Flora marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Lauren
Lauren is currently reading it
Aug 04, 2014
Deborah
Deborah marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Teddy Nikolov
Teddy Nikolov marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Stuart
Stuart marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Simon
Simon marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Nadia Greschuk
Nadia Greschuk marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Darcy
Darcy marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Scotland and the slave trade - podcast tour 1 8 Sep 29, 2009 07:10AM
The Testament of Gideon Mack And the Land Lay Still Scottish Ghost Stories Complete Systems Analysis: The Workbook, the Textbook, the Answers Katie's Ferm: A Hide And Seek Book For Wee Folk