Start by marking “Ghost-Eye Tree (Old)” as Want to Read:
Ghost-Eye Tree

Bill Martin Jr.

Ghost-Eye Tree (Old)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  214 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Walking down a dark lonely road on an errand one night, a brother and sister argue over who is afraid of the dread Ghost-Eye tree.
Published September 15th 1985 by Holt McDougal (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Ghost-Eye Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghost-Eye Tree

Audrey
A young boy and his sister are sent to the other side of town to fetch milk. Halfway there, however, is the dreaded ghost-eye tree. Both kids try to act tough and not show that they’re scared, that is until the ghost-eye tree reaches out for them.

The illustrations are done in dark watercolors and give the book an ethereal, timeless feeling. The text is exceptionally well written, full of rhyme, repetition and rhythm.
S. Todd Strader
Oooo...
how dark it was...
how dread it was...
walking the road.
to the end of the town...
for the halfway tree...
the Ghost-Eye tree...
was feared by all...

A great read with wonderful illustrations... perfect for Halloween...
Cathy Hall
Oh, my kids loved this book! A classic in building suspense and mood.
Nam
My father used to read this to me. I love this book dearly.
Heather
Wobnderful Halloween choice! By KS author Bill Martin.
Maxzine Rossler
The Ghost- Eye Tree is a poetic book about a young brother and sister that are sent by their mother to go and get some milk. While on their trip they run into a road block which gets their imaginations running wild. The illustrations help set the scene of the creepy adventure they are about to endure, and helps the put the reader in the children’s shoes.

This book reminded me of childhood memories from growing up in the country. Living next to a cornfield created creepy sounds, and made me think
M J
Eden
One dark night a brother and sister are sent by their mother to the other end of town to get a pail of milk. But, in order to get there, they have to go past the Ghost Eye Tree.

Well, this was okay. I thought it would be more of a spooky Halloween type book, but it's not. It's not spooky. It's just about two kids going to get milk at night for their mom. It's not bad, but it's not the fun spooky book I thought it would be.
Connie
This is a longer read-aloud, which makes sense because it might be just a little too spooky and frightening for younger kids. (If you have a very sensitive child, read first before buying, as always.)

If you're going for a spooky book (that realistically is just what the kid thinks is there instead of any actual ghosts or monsters) for the 5 - 8 age range, this is a good one. The illustrations, the language - it all creates a perfect mind-picture of what's going on.

I will note that the sister doe
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
Jul 12, 2013 Dustin Crazy little brown owl rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like spooky trees and running at midnight with a pail of milk in hand
Recommended to Dustin Crazy little brown owl by: Those people who thought it would give children nightmares
From the author who brought us Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? comes a spooky tale of a mother who has her children walk through the creepy woods to fetch a pail of milk from a milkman named Mr. Cowlander (Wow! What a creative name!). The book was published in 1985 but we can only guess what the hell year it was set in. The author seems to have a bizarre fascination with an actor named Mike Barber, whoever that is.

"I pulled my hat down over one eye...to look tough like Mike Barber in th
Jill
I would suggest for pre-school/kindergarten age and up to 3rd grade. This would be a good book to read in the beginning half of the year around Halloween time. A young boy and his sister are sent to the end of town to get a bucket of milk. All the boy can think about as they walk in the erie night is the ghost-eye tree. This can be a scary book to some and many may enjoy that. This book makes a nice read aloud. There may be some words from the book that can be replaced to kinder words. Art proje ...more
Sarah Maddaford
I was expecting this to be a story about overcoming the fear that your mind can create from your surroundings. The little boy does mention that the night makes his mind "run free." I know I used to see or imagine all sorts of scary things in the dark, and I hoped a book like this would work for kids like I was. Unfortunately, the boy remains a coward and even shirks chores to avoid the source of his fear. His sister manages her fear in a much better way, but I think the end message doesn't get t ...more
Josiah
This is a wholly amazing, one-of-a-kind picture book that offers some humor, compelling characters, and most of all a spine-tingling story of real suspense that will keep young listeners atremble like nothing else.
Some of my fondest experiences are of gathering around as a family with this book, on (or near) Halloween night, and drinking deeply of the masterful suspense that is so brilliantly created by Bill Martin, Jr. Who knew that a simple trip out to get milk in the country could be so fri
Carly
This isn't a Halloween book per se, but I always had it - and still do! - in my collection of Halloween books because it's just so damn creepy, and in the best way. It's not for really young kids, unless they are made of sterner stuff than I was at that age, but older kids (or adults!) who recognize the fun side of being scared. The story revolves around the overblown fears that kids tend to have, and leaves the ending ambiguous enough that you can't help but wonder whether those fears just migh ...more
Curlyhead
This is marvelously spooky book for young readers. When I first learned to read, this book is what got me hooked on reading. I remember it being so strongly imprinted in my mind, that I would be thinking of the "ghost-eye" tree as I played in my backyard. I even remember speculating as to what made it have a ghost-eye, and whether it was haunted, and by what spirit. Very fond memories of childhood.

For adults, it does a beautiful job of reminding us of that innocent time where we were scared of m
Alice
1 1/2 stars on the Alice Scale.

Oh how I wanted to like this book!!! I read it twice, hopping I might Like it! I love Bill Martin Jr.'s other books and so I thought this would be a fun spooky Halloween type book!

I also tried to like the poetry..but it isn't I style I understand or like. Some places it rhymes, some places it repeats, I can't figure what style it is. I almost want to say it is Iambic pentameter, or haiku SOMETHING..but It just doesn't do it for me.

On a story front, it is okay, I t
Jen
I liked this story okay. I wasn't too enamored of the children's mother: making them go for milk after dark isn't sound parenting. But I liked the kids, and how they encouraged one another to conquer their fears. I especially liked that the sister teased her brother about his dumb hat but then, when he lost it, turned supportive and ran off to retrieve his beautiful hat, only to return to him with his dumb hat. :) This sibling relationship struck me as being very realistic and was reminiscent of ...more
The Reading Countess
This is one of my favorite books from my own boys' reading lives, and now a classroom favorite of mine now as an educator. I believe I can quote the book (if not whole, then certainly partially). I love how the illustrations compliment the text and the interchange between the brother and sister. "It makes you look stupid." Such a fun read aloud-super voice. Super cute ending. Wouldn't you hide?

Highly recommended
With charming illustrations and published in 1985, "The Ghost-Eye Tree" is a nostalgic autumn story about a young brother and sister who are sent into town one night to bring back a bucket of milk for their mother. They must pass the dreaded Ghost-Eye tree, and along the way they argue about which one of them is afraid. This is a cute, slightly spooky story for children that is written in partial rhyme.
Cathy
One dark and windy autumn night when the sun has long gone down, a young boy and his older sister are sent to the end of town to get a bucket of milk. As they walk down the lonely road, bathed in eerie moonlight, all the boy can think about is the ghost-eye tree.

I like the poetic rhythm of this story. The kids were surprised by the way it is narrated. Good spooky story.

Robert
Nov 09, 2014 Robert rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Robert by: Patty Phillips
This was another book in the boxes my sister gave us. A nice little tale of a scared boy who is sent out to get milk from the other end of town at night. He and his older sister head off, she making fun of his hat.

They encounter the ghost-eye tree, which scares them both. But the girl retrieves the boy's hat because as she states, it is beautiful.

Cute story.
Gabriele Wills
My daughter loved this book as a child, and I enjoyed reading it to and then with her. The children in the school library where I did supply teaching were also thrilled with this spooky and endearing tale. We had a "ghost-eye tree" in a riverside park close to home. Interesting how it became part of our family lexicon.
Matthew
One of my favorite picture books, bar none. I've read this one more times than I can count and I still love it every bit as much as I ever did. The exchange of spars between the brother and sister is perfect set up for the sister's eventual choice to do the right thing in protecting him.
Catherine
One of those scary books that leaves a lot to the child's imagination instead of bombarding them with ghosts and monsters. The historical location and diaglouge may make it a hard-sell as a read-aloud in Brooklyn, but with the right group and atmosphere, it may work well.
Janin
I was very much impressed with my 7 year old reading this book to me. And the story was interesting-- good for how imagination can turn harmless things into scary things, and the importance of over-coming those fears.
Jamie
About a tree that looks scary and haunted at night. A little boy is scared of the tree, they (the boy and his sister) go past it twice on an errand for their mom and it's a cute story about facing our fears.
Lesley
How have I missed this one?! I really like the rhythm of this book, as well as how the suspense builds. This would be a great Halloween read-aloud, complete with neat illustrations!
Kathy
I read this with my grandson Adam(overandover). Hewas3atthetime.The illustrations are beautiful, and we had a great time together.Thenwepaintedpicturesoftheghosteyetree. ...more
Tanya
The story is okay. The kids liked the haunting. The art is fine. What got this book three stars instead of two is the sister-brother relationship and the rhyming.
Deborah Harris
  • Cross-Country Cat
  • The Island of the Skog
  • The Runaway Pumpkin
  • The Secret Shortcut
  • Harriet, You'll Drive Me Wild!
  • Los Gatos Black on Halloween
  • Little Grunt and the Big Egg
  • I Must Have Bobo!
  • But No Elephants
Bill Martin, Jr. (1916-2004) was an elementary-school principal, teacher, writer, and poet. His more than 300 books, among them the bestselling classics Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See; Polar Bear Polar Bear What Do You Hear; Panda Bear Panda Bear What Do You See; and Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, are a testament to his ability to speak directly to children. Martin held a doctoral degree in early ...more
More about Bill Martin Jr....
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What Do You See? Chicka Chicka ABC